• bmart17

★★★★½ Watched by bmart17 17 Dec, 2014

The story, though compelling, isn't the strong suit of this film. No, it's actually the trio of actors on the poster. Cary Grant, James Stewart and Katherine Hepburn? This strong, wonderful cast bring the film to life with personality and talent. I had mixed feelings on the ending though - it's abrupt and funny, but kind of trite and predictable. Despite this, I really enjoyed the film and would highly recommend it.

• Christopher Fujino

★★★★ Watched by Christopher Fujino 17 Dec, 2014

This film had quite a task before itself, as Hepburn and Grant are probably the two screen "legends" whose personas I find the most annoying. As such, the first half hour of this was pretty intolerable. However, from the point where Grant verbally wounds Hepburn in a way more cruel than had he struck her, I realized something special was going on. The plot is a little overcomplicated, as is the dialogue, but the vitriol the characters spew at each other is still shocking today.

• Jake Mulligan

★★★★ Rewatched by Jake Mulligan 16 Dec, 2014

One star each for charm, wit, elegance and heat.

• Matt Greene

★★★★ Added by Matt Greene

Everything you want in a glib screwball comedy: goofy charm, zippy dialogue, fun performances, twisting relationships, and smart fluff.

• RetroHound

★★★★½ Rewatched by RetroHound 06 Dec, 2014 5

I'm not sure why I like this one so much, it's a really crazy mixed-up story about crazy mixed-up people. The dialog is just so good, and each individual actor is so good, but the screwy way they go around hurting each other and making up, and being crazy, well, it's just crazy.

• ScarpiaGS

★★★ Watched by ScarpiaGS 17 Feb, 2012

Weimar

• Ned Ryerson

★★★★ Watched by Ned Ryerson 22 Nov, 2014

71/100

Jimmy Stewart's drunk acting: 10/10.

• The Ron

★★★ Watched by The Ron 19 Nov, 2014

I find it hard to believe that this is the film in which the legendary James Stewart won his only Best Actor Academy Award. He's fine in it, but the overall film is just ok in my opinion and this is one of my least favorite Stewart performances. My main problem with The Philadelphia Story was...well the story. It's simply a long winded way for C.K. Dexter Haven (Cary Grant) to get his ex-wife (Katharine Hepburn) back. I guess if…

• landskip

★★★★½ Rewatched by landskip 17 Nov, 2014

I suppose this is the third time I've seen this wonderful movie.

• Kaisergustaf

★★★★ Rewatched by Kaisergustaf 08 Nov, 2014

Little jewel of a film.

• DKA_NU_Reviews

★★★★ Added by DKA_NU_Reviews

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

• hypemachine

★★★½ Rewatched by hypemachine 18 Oct, 2014

다시 봐도 서사의 뼈대가 '말괄량이 길들이기' 원형의 변주라는 측면에서 달갑잖은 구석이 있다. 현대적 양성평등 개념을 소급 적용해서 이런 종류의 모든 이야기는 절대로 성차별적이니 그외 장점을 배제하잔 소리는 아니다. 일단 주변 사람들에 대해 높은 기준과 잣대를 들이대고 인간적 취약점을 허용하지 않는, 깐깐한 상류층 여자로 설정된 트레이시(캐서린 헵번)가 가졌다는 그 기준이, 트레이시를 가르치고 누르려 드는 주변 남성 인물들(알콜중독 전남편이나 바람난 듯한 아버지)을 보면 그다지 높다는 생각이 들지 않는다. (특히 트레이시의 아버지는 극혐 인물.) 하여간 결국 트레이시가 전남편에게 '이젠 말 잘 들을게(I'll be…