• ScarpiaGS

Weimar

• Ned Ryerson

★★★★ Watched by Ned Ryerson 22 Nov, 2014

71/100

Jimmy Stewart's drunk acting: 10/10.

• The Ron

★★★ Watched by The Ron 19 Nov, 2014

I find it hard to believe that this is the film in which the legendary James Stewart won his only Best Actor Academy Award. He's fine in it, but the overall film is just ok in my opinion and this is one of my least favorite Stewart performances. My main problem with The Philadelphia Story was...well the story. It's simply a long winded way for C.K. Dexter Haven (Cary Grant) to get his ex-wife (Katharine Hepburn) back. I guess if…

• landskip

★★★★½ Rewatched by landskip 17 Nov, 2014

I suppose this is the third time I've seen this wonderful movie.

• Stephenpbreeze

★★ Watched by Stephenpbreeze 10 Nov, 2014

The Philadelphia Story might work for you if you think there's some truth to the words of James Stewart's character: "The prettiest sight in this fine, pretty world is the privileged class enjoying its privileges". I firmly do not.

• Kaisergustaf

★★★★ Rewatched by Kaisergustaf 08 Nov, 2014

Little jewel of a film.

• DKA_NU_Reviews

★★★★ Added by DKA_NU_Reviews

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

• hypemachine

★★★½ Rewatched by hypemachine 18 Oct, 2014

다시 봐도 서사의 뼈대가 '말괄량이 길들이기' 원형의 변주라는 측면에서 달갑잖은 구석이 있다. 현대적 양성평등 개념을 소급 적용해서 이런 종류의 모든 이야기는 절대로 성차별적이니 그외 장점을 배제하잔 소리는 아니다. 일단 주변 사람들에 대해 높은 기준과 잣대를 들이대고 인간적 취약점을 허용하지 않는, 깐깐한 상류층 여자로 설정된 트레이시(캐서린 헵번)가 가졌다는 그 기준이, 트레이시를 가르치고 누르려 드는 주변 남성 인물들(알콜중독 전남편이나 바람난 듯한 아버지)을 보면 그다지 높다는 생각이 들지 않는다. (특히 트레이시의 아버지는 극혐 인물.) 하여간 결국 트레이시가 전남편에게 '이젠 말 잘 들을게(I'll be…

• fallvibes

★★★ Watched by fallvibes 16 Oct, 2014

jimmy stewart I love thee, thou art amazing in this film

• Alistair

★★★★★ Watched by Alistair 09 Oct, 2014

Witty, intelligent and captivating film with a really entertaining story and funny writing. The performances and delivery of the clever lines from all the cast is excellent making both the romantic and comedic elements of the story come together in a perfect mix.

• Sarfaraz Abbasi

★★★★ Added by Sarfaraz Abbasi

Directed by George Cukor, this masterpiece remains the only entertaining film with two finest actors of 20th Century, Cary Grant and James Stewart.

• Stefan Teufel

★★★★½ Watched by Stefan Teufel 10 Sep, 2014

With an absolute dream cast this film couldn't do wrong. Grant in his usual role as an upper-class divorcee tries to make the wedding of his ex-wife a living hell by throwing her into the arms of the scandal-hungry press. Only problem, the reporter, played by Stewart, discovers something else than a story. Screwball-comedy at it's best with all the fast dialogue and snappy sidenotes you can handle.

Only just second to 'Bringing Up Baby'.