• rangerfan1041

★★★ Rewatched by rangerfan1041 18 Aug, 2014

Letter Grade: B-

• Ryan Fischer

★★★★½ Rewatched by Ryan Fischer 15 Aug, 2014

A screwball comedy where the characters' eccentricities are actually developed, coherent character traits and the snappy dialogue is actually a series of probing attacks to reveal those traits. The script is great and the three main performances are very charming. I think you could argue that the film is unfair to Hepburn's character, who has to change for her man, but it is made clear that Grant's character has dealt with his own demons before the film's start, and she doesn't seem to have to change that much.

• Becca Costanzo

★★★★★ Watched by Becca Costanzo 13 Aug, 2014

Finally finally watched this masterpiece and was blown away back to the true era of Holllywood glamour and screenwriting gold. I adore Katharine Hepburn with every moment of the film and the rest of the cast dazzles just as bright.
    This is the kind of filmmaking that we should all miss. A script that's too sharp to touch and moves so fast that your head is spinning trying to keep up (but in the best way possible!) And acting that is just the right mix of vulnerability and over-the-top dramatic.

Love.

• Patrick Mullen

★★★★ Watched by Patrick Mullen 14 Aug, 2014

Featuring three great leads and three great characters, The Philadelphia Story succeeds as a witty romantic comedy. Cary Grant is especially great.

• jessikatz

★★★★ Watched by jessikatz 12 Aug, 2014

I LOVE WHEN STRONG-WILLED, FORCE-TO-BE-RECKONED-WITH WOMEN ARE FOUGHT OVER BY MEN IN FILM.

tracy lords doesn't let any man boss her around. she does as she pleases, and nothing can stop her from doing so. i only wish that nowadays, more characters were as powerful as her.

• Jude Seymour

Watched by Jude Seymour 12 Jul, 1999

I'd like to talk about the movie "The Philadelphia Story" for a moment. It features two of my all time favorite actors, (cue Jimmy voices please) Jimmy Stewart and (you don't say) Cary Grant, the two smoothest actors.

If I grew up in the forties, I would want to be Jimmy Stewart. He was just classy. And Cary Grant was wily. Man, he would say some things and girls had to swoon. And guys would just be like, "He is…

• Timcop

★★★★ Rewatched by Timcop 03 Aug, 2014

In the past, I've had a difficult time warming up to this film, mostly because it spends about 40 minutes in the middle of the movie setting up the protagonists and for the relationship(s) to go one way, only to pull the rug out at the last second. No real change on this viewing, considering all of the men in Hepburn's life are pretty shitty (PARTICULARLY her father), save Jimmy Stewart, who seems like the perfect foil for her from…

• Maëva

★★★★ Watched by Maëva 03 Aug, 2014

"How do I look ?
    Like a queen. Like a goddess.
    And do you know how I feel?
    How ?
    Like a human. Like a human being."

• Mynt Marsellus

★★★★½ Watched by Mynt Marsellus 01 Aug, 2014

"You'd had too much to drink Tracy"
    "That seems to be the consensus of opinion"

Yeah, I love Katherine Hepburn. She's just amazing. And so is this film.

• melinaleigh

★★★★★ Added by melinaleigh

My love for this film is so incredibly immense. I adore Hepburn and Grant together, always. Plus Jimmy Stewart serenading with Somewhere Over the Rainbow helps.

• bluevoid

★★★ Watched by bluevoid 25 Jun, 2014

A fun little story of a wealthy socialite and her love.. well, square. The story didn’t grab me all too much, but you can’t beat the cast. Cary Grant, Katherine Hepburn and James Stewart. I could watch these people all day. While I might not be too high on Hepburn in this particular role, Stewart more than makes up for it. Mostly a good time, even if its a bit annoying at times.

• Jane Firehorse

★★★★ Watched by Jane Firehorse 15 Jul, 2014

I loved the party scenes best - everyone was so much fun playing drunk - and the ending was fast and sweet.