• Phong Nguyen

★★★★½ Rewatched by Phong Nguyen 09 Apr, 2015

This was the first black and white movie I ever saw and I'm glad it was. The definition of a classic, even 70 years later it's as witty, as funny and as relevant. Truly one of Katherine Hepburn's most iconic roles ever.

• James Kujawa

★★★ Watched by James Kujawa 23 Apr, 2015

This movie doesn't get fun until the Jimmys, both Stewart and Kujawa, get drunk.

The screenplay pricks and pokes as well as one would suspect given its reputation and the silver tongued performers involved, and said performers are as delightful as ever (with Jimmy Stewart being the rare, nothing to be ashamed of weak link), but I don't know if director George Cukor has the chops to levitate the film to the level that others seem to believe it has…

• Joel Vered

★★★★ Watched by Joel Vered 17 Apr, 2015

Probably the best love triangle I've seen in the movies. Stewart, Hepburn, and Grant give great performances, and was the only oscar-win for Stewart. I think's it a movie worth checking out.

• Michael Lehmann

★★★★★ Rewatched by Michael Lehmann 13 Apr, 2015

A classic in every sense of the word.

• Dave Holmes

★★★★★ Added by Dave Holmes

I have three favourite screwball comedies of this era, all featuring Grant, and two featuring Hepburn. The Philadelphia Story is my least favourite of the three, because it's a fair bit less absurd and comedic (the other two are His Girl Friday and Bringing Up Baby). But that doesn't mean The Philadelphia Story isn't awesome in its own right. In many ways it's not typical screwball comedy at all - sure it has its fair share of farce, but this…

• Oliver Goddard

★★★★ Rewatched by Oliver Goddard 11 Apr, 2015

What the fuck does "yar" mean?

• eontroll

★★★★½ Added by eontroll

A unique intelligent comedy filled with smart dialogue, presented with the whit that only actors that listen can present.
    Ad hoc - dialogue, as in the seen with Stewart, drunk as a scunk, and an extremely sober Grant, cannot give anything but the most wonderful experience.
    The triad of Hepburn, Stewart and Grant with this manuscript is one of the most enjoyable movies in its genre.

• Zach Anderson

★★★½ Watched by Zach Anderson 03 Apr, 2015

A film primarily praised for its iconic trio of actors, The Philadelphia Story's best moments lie in its scathing and memorable upheavals of patriarchal expectations.

Hepburn created a large body of work that infused characters with her independent and biting persona. George speaks for the audience when he tells Hepburn, "You're so cool and fine and always so much your own." Her response about wanting to be loved instead of worshiped could have threatened to minimize her powerfully alluring persona.…

• Jon Hillman

★★★★ Added by Jon Hillman

Hepburn, Grant, and Stewart are all at the top of their game here. Some of the dialogue may have been a bit wordier that necessary to get the same point across and have the intended impact, but the movie is a delight none the less.

• Ross Showalter

★★★ Added by Ross Showalter

Katharine Hepburn's probably the best thing in "The Philadelphia Story", and it's her committed, lovely performance through the shaky writing that holds the film together. Although Cary Grant also does wonders as a snarky ex-husband.

• Nino Vukalovic

★★★★ Watched by Nino Vukalovic 15 Mar, 2015

A movie with great dialogue and an all-star cast of Cary Grant, Katharine Hepburn and James Stewart, with Grant and Stewart being two of my favorite stars from the classic Hollywood era. Surprisingly, I actually liked Hepburn in this movie and didn't find her annoying. This is one of the classic screwball comedies of the era in which two characters divorce and marry again in the end.

• Alex Tărău

★★½ Watched by Alex Tărău 17 Mar, 2015

This film might have been better to watch 40 or 50 years ago. Now the screwball plot seems silly and corny, with twists and turns that are predictable. The dialogue is creaky and repetitious, rather than witty. Katharine Hepburn was overacting, but Jimmy Stewart's performance was great.