• revchu

★★★½ Watched by revchu 24 Apr, 2016

Letterboxd Season Challenge (Binge Watch Edition)
    Film 22 - Screwball Week

I had a realisation while I was watching the Aviator a few months ago that I had not ever watched a Katharine Hepburn movie, and while I typically love Cate Blanchett, I felt as I did not have sufficient knowledge to actually judge her performance. I also threw in this film because it was name-dropped in an Edward Glaeser article on sprawl, calling these Philadelphia homes examples of the…

• nashattack

★★★★ Watched by nashattack 18 Apr, 2016

Making my way through a few more of the classic screwball comedies and this one certainly stands up on the strength of its script and the comic timing of its leads, despite revealing its roots as a play with some fairly stagey blocking at times.

Katherine Hepburn steals the show and Jimmy Stewart is as funny as I've ever seen him, however I admit to being less impressed with Cary Grant. Given I am a fan of his latter-day work,…

• lobsta

★★★★★ Watched by lobsta 16 Apr, 2016 1

Saw it on the big screen at the Civic theater so is there anything higher than 5 stars?

• 1josephvu

★★★★½ Watched by 1josephvu 15 Apr, 2016

Full of charm and wit, The Philadelphia Story exemplifies everything commendable about classic Hollywood cinema with its quick-witted dialogue, humor, irony, and casting of three of cinema's greatest stars.

Before the day of her wedding, a headstrong Philadelphia socialite named Tracy Lord (Katharine Hepburn) finds herself in a quagmire when her drunkard (but recently sobered-up) ex-husband, C.K. Dexter Haven (Cary Grant) reenters her life after 2 years of divorce. But this was not by choice, as Dexter's old boss, Sidney…

• EvanstonDad

★★★★★ Added by EvanstonDad

The stars were aligned during the shooting of this film, and the results gave us one of the most perfect films in screen history.

Katharine Hepburn gives the best performance of her career as Tracy Lord, uppity society heiress who's about to be married to a stuffed shirt. James Stewart and Ruth Hussey play an acerbic journalist and photographer, respectively, sent to the Lord estate to cover the wedding for a trashy gossip magazine. And Cary Grant, Tracy's ex-husband, saunters…

• ivan000

★★★★½ Watched by ivan000 11 Apr, 2016

Ganz lustige Romantik Komödie.
    Genau das was man von einem Film mit Cary Grant, Kathrine Hepburn und James Steward erwartet.

363/1177

• Alex Petković

★★★★ Watched by Alex Petković 10 Apr, 2016

If this film doesn't make you grin like a complete idiot, then I don't know what will. I am truly in awe of Katharine Hepburn and the rest of this incredibly charming cast.

• Lindsay

★★★½ Watched by Lindsay 06 Apr, 2016

There may have been a Pretty in Pink vibe, but this was smart, sharp, quick and just what I felt like.

• isabel

★★★½ Watched by isabel 03 Apr, 2016

james stewart and i are in love

• Nick Vass

★★★½ Watched by Nick Vass 02 Apr, 2016

I could've watched an even longer sequence of drunk Jimmy Stewart singing "Over the Rainbow" and having fun with Cary Grant at 4AM.

This film seemed like the precursor to how Katherine Hepburn's bride-to-be socialite choose Mr. Right. Like the original film of that particular formula. It's entertaining, funny material and has dialogue that is snappily performed with amusing innuendos.

It may seem like a rom-com on class distinctions and human growth that is strictly of its time (other films…

• You_Lee

★★★★ Watched by You_Lee 02 Apr, 2016

Χμ. Πανέμορφο το φιλμ, αναστέναζα κάθε τρεις και λίγο με τις εικόνες και τα μουτράκια (ας μου επιτραπεί το υποκοριστικό για απίθανα μούτρα όπως αυτά της Χέπμπορν και του Στιούαρτ), δεν μπορώ να εντοπίσω κάτι συγκεκριμένο που μου έλειψε, ρόλαρε το σύνολο αβίαστα, ωστόσο το κατατάσσω περισσότερο στα fun to watch παρά στα "απόλαυση".

• Iestyn Lloyd

★★★★ Watched by Iestyn Lloyd 02 Apr, 2016

Amazing cast. Great movie, but I enjoyed the remake, High Society, that little bit more. It’s hard to beat Bing Crosby and Frank Sinatra singing Well, Did you Evah!