• funsohng

Added by funsohng

Quite literally the screwball comedy to end all screwball comedies, The Philadelphia Story uses its explosive cast to their full potential to present a charming story of marriage.

• Justin Swanson

★★★ Watched by Justin Swanson 14 Sep, 2014

Katherine Hepburn is incandescent in this film. It's hard to take your eyes off her when she's on screen.

In general The Philadelphia Story is a fine film... once you get past the the domestic abuse jokes and rampant sexism.

• Sam Blackman

★★★★ Watched by Sam Blackman 10 Sep, 2014

Well written and perfectly executed, the cast makes excellent use of The Philadelphia Story's great dialogue, with Grant, Hepburn and Stewart all giving fantastic performances.

• Carlos Rodríguez

★★★★ Watched by Carlos Rodríguez 14 Nov, 2009

In spite of a somewhat rushed ending, The Philadelphia Story by George Cukor is a funny, charming, and sophisticated screwball comedy bolstered by sharp writing and the fabulous performances of its three leading stars. Katharine Hepburn was fantastic, Cary Grant was terrific, but it was James Stewart who stole the show in what was arguably his finest comedic role. It displays a sort of elegant and enchantingly subtle humor that might not make people laugh out loud, but it's surely bound to produce quite a few chuckles and to put a big smile on their faces.

• moviemanwill

★★★★ Added by moviemanwill

Stewart won for his horrible drunk acting? Weird. The rest is quite fun.

• The Movie King

★★ Watched by The Movie King 15 May, 2014

"I'm going crazy. I'm standing here solidly on my own two hands and I'm going crazy."

Ever since I got into classic cinema, there's always one particular film that's been calling my name for some time, and that's The Philadelphia Story, a romantic comedy directed by George Cukor and starring some of the finest classic Hollywood stars in the history of film, Cary Grant, Katherine Hepburn, and Jimmy Stewart. It's also regarded by many classic movie buffs as one of…

• Stephen Brown

★★★★ Rewatched by Stephen Brown 24 Aug, 2014

I'm not reviewing (or rating) this viewing because it was on in the background and didn't have my full attention. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a way to remove the rating from a subsequent review of a film so the four stars are from my previous viewing.

• Modern Lights

★★★★½ Watched by Modern Lights 22 Aug, 2014

One of the funniest movies of all time and probably my favourite ensemble.

• Evan Cogswell

★★★★½ Rewatched by Evan Cogswell 14 Aug, 2014

I had forgotten how delightful and funny this film is. Hepburn, Grant, and Stewart all play their roles perfectly. The performance Hepburn and Virginia Weidler put on for Stewart and Ruth Hussey is pure brilliance.

• rangerfan1041

★★★ Rewatched by rangerfan1041 18 Aug, 2014

Letter Grade: B-

• Ryan Fischer

★★★★½ Rewatched by Ryan Fischer 15 Aug, 2014

A screwball comedy where the characters' eccentricities are actually developed, coherent character traits and the snappy dialogue is actually a series of probing attacks to reveal those traits. The script is great and the three main performances are very charming. I think you could argue that the film is unfair to Hepburn's character, who has to change for her man, but it is made clear that Grant's character has dealt with his own demons before the film's start, and she doesn't seem to have to change that much.

• Becca Costanzo

★★★★★ Watched by Becca Costanzo 13 Aug, 2014

Finally finally watched this masterpiece and was blown away back to the true era of Holllywood glamour and screenwriting gold. I adore Katharine Hepburn with every moment of the film and the rest of the cast dazzles just as bright.
    This is the kind of filmmaking that we should all miss. A script that's too sharp to touch and moves so fast that your head is spinning trying to keep up (but in the best way possible!) And acting that is just the right mix of vulnerability and over-the-top dramatic.

Love.