• Stefan Griens

★★★★½ Rewatched by Stefan Griens 14 Oct, 2014

Movie about dueling magicians. This movie is a great meditation on dedication and obsession, with some magic thrown in. Nolan is always good at breaking down ridiculously complicated plots and does so again here. If it wasn't for one subplot that feels out of place, yet is very important to the overall story, I would give this five stars.

• MovieMan23

★★★★★ Added by MovieMan23

A very rewatchable movie, brilliantly made.

• SJHoneywell

★★ Added by SJHoneywell

Nolan fanboys love
    This film. If you look closely
    It all falls apart.

• Tristiac

★★★★★ Rewatched by Tristiac 22 Nov, 2014

It took me 3 viewings to realize that The Prestige is Nolan's best film and now I count it among my favorites. Brilliantly constructed, densely layered, superbly edited, career best performances, and deeply troubling in its implications. Each viewing reveals more details that enhance my admiration.

• Blake Garnsey

★★★½ Watched by Blake Garnsey 18 Nov, 2014

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

• Peter Strauss

★★★★½ Rewatched by Peter Strauss 22 Nov, 2014 3

Damn. Going back over the Nolan films I thought PRESTIGE was a lower tier entry, but now I'm struggling with considering it amongst his very best. Paying particular attention to the editing and pacing where DARK KNIGHT, INCEPTION and DARK KNIGHT RISES became increasingly choppy and incoherent, this film is so slick and its pacing so fluid. A lot of the Nolan nitpicks come from his concepts ballooning so much you end up mapping it out in your head which…

• zkorpi

Watched by zkorpi 21 Nov, 2014

Brilliant, BUT it is far less interesting once you know the conclusion. Makes you realize why movies built on suspense are better than mystery. Mystery only makes a scene engaging the first time, whereas suspense works over again. It's still an amazing movie, but that is a way in which this film is NOT the ideal movie, though I once thought it was.

It certainly has that Nolan problem solving, twist hiding flair to it. The most interesting thing is…

• Jeff Phillips

★★★½ Rewatched by Jeff Phillips 20 Nov, 2014

2 magicians play tricks on each other back n forth for two hours. I like it. Also, David Bowie's impression of Pierce Brosnan's Russian accent was spot on.

• Steen

★★★½ Watched by Steen 20 Nov, 2014

I thought I was going to see, and for a large part of the movie thought I was watching, a late 19th century period drama about two duelling magicians, but as it turned out I actually watched a sci-fi movie. I'm really not sure how I feel about that. Should I feel cheated or just accept that premise after the fact?

I enjoyed watching the movie and most of its many plot twists (it wouldn't be Nolan without them) and…

• Aaron Hammond

★★★★★ Rewatched by Aaron Hammond 18 Nov, 2014

Prime, uncut Nolan. It's been a few years since my last viewing (but I watched it like crazy in college), and I'm happy to report that I somehow underrated it the whole time. Mike D'Angelo's excellent essay for The Dissolve on Nolan's career spends a lot of time on this film, and watching the blu-ray made me realize how much it comes off as an allegory for modern filmmaking. Practical effects don't look as snazzy, but those who use them…

• Adrian Zachow

★★★★½ Added by Adrian Zachow

What starts out as drama surrounding the efforts of rival magicians trying to outdo each other, does a brilliantly subtle and unexpected genre shift towards the later third of the movie. No spoilers here though, Top notch story telling, with strong performances by the whole cast, direction, and vivid 19th Century London setting. Highly recommended.

• Vonne Patiag

★★★★½ Rewatched by Vonne Patiag 07 Nov, 2014

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.