• Nadine Keels

★★★★★ Added by Nadine Keels

Glimpses of the artistry are what made me check out this film for myself, and I've deemed it to be one of the (if not the) most visually beautiful animated features I've ever seen. It's not a talky-talky film, trying to say too much, but it says what it needs to, oftentimes in movements, facial expressions, and music.

And, speaking of music, another wonderful film score by Hans Zimmer.

• Jonathan Sullivan

★★★½ Watched by Jonathan Sullivan 07 Jan, 2015

I got inspired to check this one out after reading THE MEN WHO WOULD BE KING for the third time and it floored me in many respects. Beautiful animation, a really intense story, and some epic musical numbers. No shucking and jiving here; when people do finally dance there's a reason for it. I totally get why people weren't receptive to this film when it was originally released but if you get the chance, check this out. It's a stark stark *STARK* contrast to the rest of the animated films of the 90s.

(Netflix)

• Njabs Phungula

★★★★★ Rewatched by Njabs Phungula 06 Jan, 2015

"Rameses! Let my people go!"

Dreamworks Animation's finest hour is an ensemble piece that never fails to surprise me even after a hundred or so viewings. The voice talent is of the highest class and the animation is no less brilliant. All the shots look like they were painstakingly thought out and that certainly helps. It wouldn't be fair for me to talk about the movie without mentioning the music so, here it goes: Stephen Schwartz' songs are perfect and…

• Rowan Charlton

★★★★½ Rewatched by Rowan Charlton 04 Jan, 2015

Possibly the most beautiful traditionally animated film of all time. The story is biblical, but the way they handled it made it much more universal and hugely powerful. Nothing feels rushed and everything feels like it is in the right place. The songs are emotional and memorable. The voice acting is probably some of the best in any animated film.

The entire film has a magical powerful punch to it. It is dark, scary. Humorous. Timing is perfect in the…

• Sebastian Borrazas

★★★★ Watched by Sebastian Borrazas 03 Jan, 2015

A nice story put into an incredibly well made movie from 1998. Very entertaining.

• inamax

★★★★½ Added by inamax

Beautiful

• wfox

★★★★ Rewatched by wfox 01 Jan, 2015

Love the scene with the hieroglyphic animation.

I forgot what a great score this film has. The Brian Stokes Mitchell song is great. Thanks Brian Stokes Mitchell.

Also, this is a super interesting story on many levels.

• Nick Nguyen

★★★ Watched by Nick Nguyen 29 Dec, 2014

There's some good ideas and execution here that is marred by the decision to insist on musical numbers to over-emote and over-tell this foundational story. Many times it comes off as a Disney version of Cecil B. DeMille (I noted some scenes and imagery that are direct steals from THE TEN COMMANDMENTS). It's a shame because there are some effective sequences that are essentially pantomime musical numbers that achieve so much more appeal than the Katzenberg model of 'family Broadway entertainment' that followed his time at the Mouse factory.

• Kell

★★★★★ Added by Kell

"Moses, hear what I say. I have been a slave all my life. And God has never answered my prayers until now. God saved you from the river, He saved you in all your wanderings, and even now, He saves you from the wrath of Pharaoh. God will not abandon you. So don't you abandon us."

The pinnacle of the perfect animated movie. It's beautiful, the music is amazing, the story is classic. Honestly, if you're even vaguely considering going to see that piece of shit 'Exodus' just sit down and watch this movie 20 times until you get the idea out of your head.

• Jake M

Rewatched by Jake M 26 Dec, 2014

boring and pandering bullshit.

• Mikey Fissel

★★★½ Added by Mikey Fissel

A perfectly 'Ok' animated musical feature. A few songs that have potential to stick in your head and a story that does builds enough drama with its characters to find a way to whittle down this epic story into a manageable runtime. Also, a few key visuals (the Angel of Death and the parting of the Red Sea in particular) give the film enough a unique flavor.

• McMac Henry