• flurryheaven

★★★★ Rewatched by flurryheaven 22 May, 2015

Haven't seen Disney's animated classic The Rescuers since I was a child and it's still a solid watch. Viewed this with my five year old boy and he laughed himself silly and was totally invested. That's the beauty of animation when done well, it can still speak to a child or an adult decades after the fact.

What can you say about Disney's animated films, they're usually very entertaining. The Rescuers has a wonderful voice cast and a silly fun story. Sure the animation style is outdated by today's standards but it doesn't matter, the story is timeless. The Rescuers is still as charming as ever.

• Cuntis

★★★★★ Rewatched by Cuntis 27 Apr, 2015

My top disney films fluctuate a lot, but this is consistently number 1. Mainly because the story is great, the characters are hilarious and the music is sublime. One of the songs was even oscar nominated. Our pet hamster was even called Bernard in honour of the Rescue Aid Societies bravest member.

What can you do? Two little mice? L O A D S innit.

• Sean Volk

★★½ Rewatched by Sean Volk 26 Apr, 2015

I haven't seen this as a child, but I remembered it being utterly depressing and dark. I remembered correctly.

The hand-drawn animation is beautiful, but the story of an orphan further victimized by cruel individuals is too heartbreaking to work. The realities of the human element are too dark to be merged with the whimsy of adventurous mice.

• Sean Volk

★★½ Rewatched by Sean Volk 26 Apr, 2015

• Robyn

★★★★★ Rewatched by Robyn 27 Apr, 2015 2

bernard's got the sweetest lil face in disney history twitter.com/ucrazyutaraptor/status/592792516325416962

• moviemanwill

★★★ Added by moviemanwill

I love the concept and the voice acting. That's about it. Hoping they do another, maybe updated third entry. The sequel is far better.

• JohnAllegretti

Added by JohnAllegretti

VHS

• vhs_vampire

★★★½ Rewatched by vhs_vampire 16 Apr, 2015

Gators, Pirate treasure, Swampmobile, Evinrude!

The animation looks very rough but that also gives it some charm. I've never seen "The Rescuers Down Under" so I thought to revisit this and make it a double feature. The voice talents here are great (Pat Buttram always makes my day).

• Sam Barnett

★★★★ Watched by Sam Barnett 13 Apr, 2015

Though I have very vivid memories of most Disney films I watched as a kid, I almost completely forgot about this one save for the image of that adorable dragonfly with the floppy tongue.

Not sure why The Rescuers isn't considered a stone-cold Disney classic. The characters are quirky, their animations expressive. The world is full of color, variety and detail while unafraid to go to some dark, gritty places. I'll admit there's an unfinished quality to some of it,…

• jadecanard

★★★½ Rewatched by jadecanard 11 Apr, 2015

After having watched the sequel, younger me wanted to see the original movie. I remember being underwhelmed; all I could recall afterwards was that crocodiles were involved. Watching again as an adult, I can appreciate this understated film better: it's well animated and you want the mice to succeed in their endeavour. There is some gender sterotyping with Miss Bianca but she is just as vital to the success of the mission as her companion. It's also interesting to see…

• S_MTX

★★★ Rewatched by S_MTX 18 Mar, 2015

It's a little disappointing to find that this movie doesn't really hold up as an adult. When I was younger this was one of the VHS tapes that I watched a lot being one of the few English language tapes I had. I didn't love it but I always found it enjoyable. Watching it now it's surprising how unremarkable it is. The story is just okay. A lot of the humor just falls flat. The animation is just okay.

But…