• Shayne Bock

★★★ Watched by Shayne Bock 17 Jul, 2014

Walt Disney Animated Feature Series
    -----------------------------------------------

The cheap tendencies of Disney at this time is really showing in this one. That's the first thought I had. It still manages to be beautiful in its own way, though. The art design is unique and interesting enough to earn Disney movie status.

Another thing I realized was Walt's death occurred some time during Winnie the Pooh, so this was essentially the first film completely produced without his supervision. Yes, he's one man…

• Stef

★★★★ Added by Stef

My eight year old self absolutely adored this movie, so I'm letting her rate this one.

• Jonny G

★★★ Rewatched by Jonny G 08 Jun, 2014

New Years Resolution See 700 Films in 2014 (At Least 400 Must Be New)
    Film 238 out of 700
    Film 39 of Remember the Magic

Yet another Disney animated film that I didn't grow up watching. Actually we are getting close to the era of Disney films that I will say most are completely forgettable and "The Rescuers" ins't above my thoughts about this era.

For those of you who have been following my past 38 reviews in this series…

• BVeldboom

★★★★ Watched by BVeldboom 06 Jul, 2014

The Rescuers fills an interesting spot in Disney history. As the studio’s last big hit before a sudden, ten-year drop in both quality and profitability, it serves as an interesting placeholder between the halcyon days of classic Disney and a regrettable period in which the studio struggled to reclaim its former glory.

Yet despite scoring a sequel in 1990–a rarity for Disney--it’s often treated as little more than a footnote, which is a shame, because it’s easily one of the…

• Hunter

★★★ Rewatched by Hunter 07 Jun, 2014

Positives - not an overproduced film with constant, drawing music and sounds, slick plot points and catch-phrased protagonists. The trade-off is that it's a little boring, but worth it to see a simple film with a decent adventure story.

Negatives - Male characters: hero, wise old cat, albatross, head of rescue aid society, pseudo-bad guy. Female characters: damsel frequently in distress (real or imagined by the hero), actual bad guy, damsel literally in distress and totally helpless in her situation. None of this seemed mean-spirited or manipulative, just a complete lack of self- and social-awareness, also weak writing to use gender stereotypes so thoughtlessly.

• Sarfaraz Abbasi

★★★★ Added by Sarfaraz Abbasi

The Rescuers produced by Walt Disney Productions and directed by Wolfgang Reitherman, John Lounsbery and Art Stevens. This is the 23rd film in the Walt Disney Animated Classics series. Features voices from Bob Newhart, Eva Gabor, Michelle Stacy. The film is based on a series of books by Margery Sharp, The Rescuers and Miss Bianca.

Two mice, Miss Bianca an Hungarian and a Janitor mice, members of Rescue Aid Society (which is working beneath the the United Nations building in…

• Jimmy Jones

★★★★ Added by Jimmy Jones

I believe I never saw this one until I was 16 or so, but even then I was taken by its charm. It seems older than it is, almost like a 50s movie that belongs beside Peter Pan, but that's definitely not a bad thing. The main romance between the mice is charming, the characters pretty colorful, the humor abounds, and the villains are pretty dark. Follows a good Disney formula and succeeds.

• Liara KCrane

★★★½ Added by Liara KCrane

Adorable film with lovely animation and character designs. A little dated but none-the-less full of charm.

• Charles Odell

★★ Watched by Charles Odell 20 Apr, 2014

Surprised this was apparently Disney's biggest hit between 101 Dalmatians and The Little Mermaid; by their standards, it's bland and rather shoddy.

• Thomas Pashko

★★★★ Watched by Thomas Pashko 19 Apr, 2014

I've returned to my Disney marathon after a long hiatus. The Rescuers exemplefies what's best about the Wolfgang Reitherman era of Disney. It uses its celebrity voice actors as, well, actors. So often, celeb voices are used because it's easier to apply an already existing persona than it is to actually create a character. But The Rescuers knows better. It's quiet and mature and light and charming. It's sad when it needs to be, but it's mostly just delightful.

• Nathan Sizemore

★★★★½ Rewatched by Nathan Sizemore 15 Apr, 2014

I decided to show The Rescuers to my kids tonight because it was on Netflix and I hadn't seen it in a long while.

In fact, I'm not sure that I ever saw the entire thing as a kid.

I was completely surprised by how much I enjoyed it. It is clearly a product of its times. You can see what seems like the influence of Ralph Bakshi in the film's earlier New York City scenes and the songs used…

• Jordan Smith

★★★ Watched by Jordan Smith 13 Apr, 2014

Ever so close to paying off on its promises. But not quite.