• Thomas Pashko

★★★★ Watched by Thomas Pashko 19 Apr, 2014

I've returned to my Disney marathon after a long hiatus. The Rescuers exemplefies what's best about the Wolfgang Reitherman era of Disney. It uses its celebrity voice actors as, well, actors. So often, celeb voices are used because it's easier to apply an already existing persona than it is to actually create a character. But The Rescuers knows better. It's quiet and mature and light and charming. It's sad when it needs to be, but it's mostly just delightful.

• Nathan Sizemore

★★★★½ Rewatched by Nathan Sizemore 15 Apr, 2014

I decided to show The Rescuers to my kids tonight because it was on Netflix and I hadn't seen it in a long while.

In fact, I'm not sure that I ever saw the entire thing as a kid.

I was completely surprised by how much I enjoyed it. It is clearly a product of its times. You can see what seems like the influence of Ralph Bakshi in the film's earlier New York City scenes and the songs used…

• Jordan Smith

★★★ Watched by Jordan Smith 13 Apr, 2014

Ever so close to paying off on its promises. But not quite.

• AmandaC

★★★½ Watched by AmandaC 08 Apr, 2014

I cannot believe I've never watched this Disney classic before. Lovely story about International rescuing mice!

• Ross Bonaime

★★★ Watched by Ross Bonaime 28 Mar, 2014

As much as I loved The Rescuers Down Under when I was little, I don't think I ever watched the original film. Overall I thought the movie was fine, but mostly unforgettable. Also it's pretty clear they take most of the images for this film from other Disney films. Just off the top of my head: Peter Pan, Bambi, 101 Dalmatians especially. I'm surprised how much the animation style didn't quite feel like Disney, but more like the missing link between classic Disney and the Disney that would come around in the late 80s-early 90s.

• Brett Blumenkopf

★★★½ Rewatched by Brett Blumenkopf 23 Mar, 2014

Movie a Day - Day 82

I had seen this one as a kid but never felt too strongly about it. Having just watched it again, I still don't feel particularly strong about it either way. It's an entertaining adventure, and Eva Gabor and Bob Newhart are fun together, but that's about it. The use of Penny, the little gap-toothed orphan girl, is shamelessly manipulative, but I can't deny that she's one adorable cartoon.

• Amanda Hamilton

★★★★ Rewatched by Amanda Hamilton 18 Mar, 2014

Pat Buttram again, this time as Luke (some kind of hillybilly mouse or maybe a muskrat) who was also in "Angel's Revenge"

• Rowland

★★ Rewatched by Rowland 12 Mar, 2014

[C-/C]

• lefthandedhero

★★★½ Watched by lefthandedhero 15 Mar, 2014

An older animation from Disney but still pretty good. I'm going to watch the sequel soon which I've heard is even better.

Interesting that a few of some of today's "controversial" things are in here and back then there were no problems. I wish people weren't as offended nowadays.

• Jake

★★★ Rewatched by Jake 15 Mar, 2014

Not the most exciting, especially when compared to its sequel - but it's ok. Also the Rescue Aid Society has a mouse representative from Austria AND another from Vienna!

• Edith Nelson

★★★★ Rewatched by Edith Nelson 13 Mar, 2014

Disney's Most Pathetic Orphan

Disney has had an awful lot of orphans over the years. The minute Elsa and Anna's parents get on that boat toward the beginning of Frozen, you know it's going to sink. Many other Disney kids lose one parent. Usually the mother--see also Bambi--but the father is not unheard of, either. We never even know what happened to Dumbo's father, as there doesn't seem to be a male elephant other than him with that circus, and…

• wildlark

★★ Rewatched by wildlark 12 Mar, 2014

Snoozefest. The terrible '70s pop ballads only make it worse. Organ scene is the only (relatively) exciting bit.

P.S. Before you kill me, fans of The Rescuers, I think the sequel is an entirely different story.

Claire's A Film A Day, 2014: Day 71