• Alex Lovendahl

★★ Watched by Alex Lovendahl 27 Feb, 2015

Lots of pretty stuff happening; a lot of people think of the "lean years" as artistically bankrupt, but I think the production restraints really improved the artwork in these films.

Now, a call that they're creatively bankrupt might be fair; I like Bernard and Bianca, and Medusa is great to watch move, but there's really not much happening in this one's brain.

• The Movie King

★★★★ Rewatched by The Movie King 23 Feb, 2015 1

Talk about a nostalgic classic! A film about two mice who set out to rescue an abducted orphaned girl from this mad woman only interested in her teeny body in order to retrieve a lavish diamond; not really that great of an idea to come by, is it? Not only that, but the animation looks like someone got drunk in the middle of the night and drew what he thought was something out of a Hanna-Barbera cartoon. But when looking…

• Gonzo

Animation: ★★★★
    Sound: ★★★★★
    Eva Gabor's voice: ★★★★★

What I Learned:
    Due to the overwhelming predictability and lack of creative stories plaguing the industry this has become an even bigger breath of fresh air, an ignored Disney classic

• msmere

Added by msmere

Classic

• Glorbes

★★★½ Watched by Glorbes 24 Jan, 2015

Movie night with the kids! Never saw this one before, and while the animation is obviously from Disney's lean years, the story and characters are plenty cute, with that special darker edge that makes Disney cartoons both irresistible and nightmarish to small children. My five year old had a great time.

• Lyndell Clark

★★★★ Rewatched by Lyndell Clark 17 Jan, 2015

I didn't watch this a ton when I was a kid. Was always partial to the sequel. I loved this one a lot more this time around. The animation and music along withthe dark and creepy tone of the movie was all pretty great. Good stuff.

• Joe Cunningham

★★★ Watched by Joe Cunningham 10 Jan, 2015

A sweet effort but low-key effort from WDAS's gentler period. Surprised this is the only one of their films to get a sequel (well, until Frozener), but the concept lends itself well to repeat adventures.

• Jason Darby

★★½ Added by Jason Darby

The Rescuers sits right in the middle of the so called "Dark Age" of Disney animation. Critically acclaimed at the time in which it was made, The Rescuers has not held up to repeat viewings over the years.

Adapted from Margery Sharp's novel series about mice who rescue things and people, The Rescuers actually has a lot going for it. The voice talents are quite good and well suited to their parts. Bob Newhart and Eva Gabor actually play really…

• Daniel Mumby

★½ Added by Daniel Mumby

Disney spent the 1970s in the doldrums, both financially and creatively. The passing of Walt Disney, and the retirement of Golden Age directors like Clyde Geronomi, Wilfred Jackson and Hamilton Luske, had left it in the hands of a new generation, who were taking on an established brand rather than blazing a trail of their own.

This new generation of animators and managers were faced with a dilemma. Should they try something radically different, and move the Disney brand forward…

• Dave Jackson

★★★★½ Watched by Dave Jackson 31 Dec, 2014 4

The Rescuers is a massively underrated Disney effort. The characters are outrageously loveable. The villain is terrifying and totally mad. The humour is genuinely funny. Tension and comedy are blended together beautifully (the villain's alligator lackeys attempting to get the heroic mice out of a pipe organ had me laughing). Unlike many later Disney efforts (The Little Mermaid), the danger the heroes face feels real. I particularly loved the way the film takes into account the difficulties characters as small…

• Connor

★★★★★ Added by Connor

One of my favorite Disney movies.

• JT Lindroos

★★★★ Watched by JT Lindroos 01 Aug, 1978

This may have been the first film I saw at the theaters without my parents. I remember going to see it with my neighbor Kalle (though it probably was his older brother Ville, who was my age, at 7-8 years old). Given that the movie opened in 1977, this was a likely matinee showing during summer of 1978. I remember loving the film and then returning to the theater to see it again the next day. This also was a first.

I saw the film again last year (2013) on dvd with my wife and still REALLY liked it.