• Marna Larsen

★★½ Added by Marna Larsen

*&%# that owl! That thing scared me (and every other child in the world, probably). I now have this song stuck in my head also.

• Alan P

★★★★ Rewatched by Alan P 25 Feb, 2015

Short Review: I know I've seen this numerous times as a kid, probably on LD, but I never truly understood what it was about or anything, I just knew it had magical rats or something.

Looking at it now, I can tell it's kind of a bizarre hybrid of high fantasy and classic talking animal type of films, with a little bit of the structure and tone of a classic Disney film. Can't say I fully understand how scientifically-enhanced rats…

• Kristin B

★★★ Rewatched by Kristin B 08 Feb, 2015

Was feeling nostalgic. This is far more sinister than I remember it being as a child.

• J. DeLeón-Serratos

★★★ Watched by J. DeLeón-Serratos 18 Jan, 2015

Del libro a la pantalla se perdieron muchos elementos, sobre todo el uso de la tecnología de estas ratas de laboratorio. No hay elementos mágicos, pero sí uso de ingeniería, electricidad y otros elementos para denotar la avanzada inteligencia de estas ratas... supongo que en los ochentas Don Bluth pensó que los niños no querían nada de eso, más allá de magia, magia, magia...

• Hollie Horror

★★★★ Rewatched by Hollie Horror 18 Jan, 2015 8

Growing up there were two phrases that my mother would often say to me that I can remember as clear as day - "Why don't you go outside and play.." and "Don't sit so close to the TV, you'll ruin your eyes."

I enjoyed playing with toys, squishing mud between my toes and jumping off picnic tables while flapping my arms, in hopes to defy gravity for just a few seconds, but what I really loved was watching movies. In…

• thedarkhours

★★★★★ Rewatched by thedarkhours 12 Jan, 2015

Classic animation (that isn't Disney) at its finest. A grandiose story about small creatures that is both mature and timeless but will appeal to all ages. Like Charlotte's Web, Nimh is a must see.

• theiran

★★★★ Added by theiran

I've seen this movie many times and it never gets old. Love the story and the animation. A must see for children.

• Jason Darby

★★★★ Added by Jason Darby

While Disney was floundering about during much of the 1980s, animator Don Bluth was making films that continue to rank among the best American animation of all time. His quartet of good films, of which this is the first, for the most part outshone what Disney was doing during the same time.

Of these four films, The Secret of NIMH is far and away the best. Based on the children's book Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH (the NIMH…

• Cromfel

★★½ Watched by Cromfel 28 Dec, 2014

Never let your children watch this movie!

• Sean Sexton

★★½ Watched by Sean Sexton 29 Nov, 2014

Field mouse asks colony of super intelligent rats to help her, to avoid her house being destroyed.

Boring and overlong attempt to create a non-Disney family film. Technically interesting, but doesn't entertain.

Good: Some beautiful visuals and strives to be something greater than standard boring Disney fare of the same time period.

Bad: Plot is complex and doesn't make that much sense, even to an adult. Things move slowly. Ultimately just boring.

Rating: 5.3 / 10 (Fair)

• rotch

★★★★½ Watched by rotch 27 Nov, 2014

Lo que más me gusta de The Secret of NIMH es su (tal vez innecesaria) oscuridad. Todo ocurre de noche, o bajo tierra, o sí es de día se las ingenian para un claroscuro.

También me gusta que la protagonista sea una madre, viuda. Y la música de Jerry Goldsmith. Y el duelo al final, calcado de Las aventuras de Robin Hood.

Me gusta también su extrañísima mezcla de ciencia y magia. Y sus voces.

Hermosísima película.

• Brandon Gray

★★★★½ Added by Brandon Gray

I wish it was an hour longer and didn't have Jeremy.