• Emalie

★★★★★ Rewatched by Emalie 27 Jul, 2015

dark and beautiful and full of magic!

• Henry Chivers

★★★ Rewatched by Henry Chivers 27 Jul, 2015

A well made animated movie. This is a wonderful tale of a mothers love for her family and how far she'll go to save them. Its not great but it is a joy.

• Alex Aloise

★★ Added by Alex Aloise

A Review Haiku

The truth uncovered!
    Government secrets exposed!
    The kids will love it.

• Not Dave Kehr

Added by Not Dave Kehr

An animated feature (1982) by Don Bluth, who led a group of fed-up animators away from Disney in 1980. Based on an award-winning children's book about a field mouse, Mrs. Brisby, who enlists the aid of a colony of superintelligent rats to move her family home away from the path of a farmer's plow, the film is an impressive technical achievement: the full-figure animation is dimensional and elegant, the perspectives imaginative, and the color design superb. But without the (old)…

• Ben

★★★½ Watched by Ben 21 Jun, 2015

Here is the rare film that could have undoubtedly been 10-15 minutes LONGER, to establish the characters and plot better. Some aspects just felt rushed, and that has everything to do with it's relatively brief runtime of only 80 minutes. The villains in particular were very weak. However, a great main character, a great score by Jerry Goldsmith (and a nice song by Paul Williams, the songwriter for many of the Muppet films), and some pretty freaking great animation make this one still definitely worth a watch.

• Replicant

★★½ Watched by Replicant 18 Jun, 2015

Highly unrealistic.

• justinC

★★★★½ Watched by justinC 08 Jun, 2015

Excellent! Still is a great watch all these years later.

Not suitable for young viewers.

• Ashe Collins

★★★★ Rewatched by Ashe Collins 21 May, 2015 3

When I was a kid, we had a lot of VHS tapes and basic cable, so we taped a lot of shows off cable to watch later. The Secret of NIMH, Star Trek II The Wrath of Khan, and Amadeus used to all reside on the same VHS tape. I had an interesting childhood cause I'd regularly watch all three. This was one of those go to films for me and my sister. It was one we could both agree…

• Bethany

★★½ Rewatched by Bethany 25 Apr, 2015

I know I watched this when I was a kid and did not like it. I was not a fan of dark animated films as a child. I cannot say I super liked it this time through either. The tone seemed both too childish and too dark at the same time, and I never felt like it fully reconciled itself. The animation was cool though.

• Stewart Hoffman

★★★½ Rewatched by Stewart Hoffman 20 Apr, 2015

Director and artist Don Bluth, and several other animators, tired of slipping standards at Disney at the time, defected to form their own production company. First working out of Bluth’s garage, before moving to office space in Study City, California. The Secret of NIMH was their first major feature project, and was put together in just over two years at a of cost approximately 7 million dollars. A difficult budget and schedule, even back in the 1980’s.

As a piece…

• Kelly McRae

★★★★ Rewatched by Kelly McRae 09 Apr, 2015

A true classic, though its nearly three decades old now... it still hits its mark.

• Carl