• Chris West

★★★★ Watched by Chris West 27 May, 2016

Well done Kid's film.

Doubt I'll ever watch it again. But, glad I did.

• David92

★★★★ Rewatched by David92 26 May, 2016

The Secret of NIMH has its problems including the troubling lack of emotion in it and too many characters with most of them being not that memorable, but the story is so fantastic and intriguing, the score is superb, the approach is refreshingly darker and more mature, there are some truly powerful and atmospheric sequences here and the animation is exceptional and one of the best of the time. It isn't great, but it is certainly a very good, very authentic animated film.

• Brooke Kamishlian

Watched by Brooke Kamishlian 23 May, 2016 1

Beautiful animation, fabulous voice acting, an interesting and surprisingly dark story, and a sweeping score elevate this film above most every other animated movie I've ever seen. I never saw this as a child but it would have had a profound effect on me. I wish I had. The old school animation is a treat to watch!

• Parker

★★★★½ Rewatched by Parker 18 May, 2016

aaaaAAAAAUUHGHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! WITH THE MICE AND THE RATS AND THE MOM MOUSE AND THINGS AND THE STUFF!!!!!

• FLMzzzzz

★★★½ Rewatched by FLMzzzzz 22 Jun, 2014

My favorite thing about this movie is Jerry Goldsmith's choice not to score it like a typical animated film. He went at it like he would any live action assignment and it elevated the film.

• Freddie

★★★★½ Rewatched by Freddie 07 May, 2016

I really wish I'd seen this as a kid, it has a great Watership Down vibe that I reckon would have had a big effect on a younger me

• Samuel Harris

★★★★ Rewatched by Samuel Harris 02 May, 2016

A film which by name alone reminds me so much of my time at primary school; I vividly remember my teacher reading the original book to us as we lazed on the classroom floor in the afternoons. It seems I took a particular interest in it, and somehow convinced mum or dad to rent this out (more than likely on VHS). My childhood was no short of haunting, animated tales of the animal kingdom's underbelly (I'm looking at you, Watership…

• Stankshadow

★★★½ Watched by Stankshadow 23 Apr, 2016

This is one of the most incredible looking animated films ever. The backgrounds are awe inspiring. The story is thin and the characters hardly established enough but the world they live in is the whole draw for me. It's a rare example of a film that could benefit from a slightly longer run time. At times it feels like this is a piece of a larger universe that I'd love to visit again, maybe I'll check out the books.

I…

• Matt Heiser

★★★½ Watched by Matt Heiser 12 Apr, 2016

I might of seen this already as a wee child, honestly can't remember. It felt really fresh for me, though. Mrs. Brisby is a great animated character, and a great "mother" character. Very original, decently animated even if feels like they had to cut some animation corners. Still looks very good. Interesting story, a tad underdeveloped, but holds on mostly fine. Bluth really was a creative force, especially in his 80's films.

• Rainey Dawn

★★★★½ Rewatched by Rainey Dawn 24 Oct, 2014

This is one of those films I "lost" in my memory banks until I accidentally ran across it again. As soon as I saw the name of the film (The Secret of NIMH) something clicked within and I said "oh yes I remember this film and how much I loved it"! This movie is a great story - a hidden gem of animated film classics! I was 10 years old when this film came out so I can't recall all…

• nathaxn walker

★★★★★ Rewatched by nathaxn walker 01 Apr, 2016 2

A webbed and gnarled translucent watercolor sword and sorcery pastoral, furious with movement and activated Newtonian Alchemies. One of the jewels of the Annus Mirabilis 1982, The Secret of NIMH plays out like a crazed post-Disney, post-Rankin/Bass brew of Altered States and the Planet of the Apes TV shows. In the shadow of human civilization, the United States Government has given rats the capacity to use magickal and non-magickal technologies apparently not extant in un-DARPA'ed rat theories of global operations. This is the birth of the end of humankind's assumed hegemonic grasp on this world. Also, John Carradine as the most hypnotically terrifying animated owl ever.

• Bradley

★★★½ Watched by Bradley 27 Mar, 2016

Made by a group of Disney animators that left the company due to the slump the studio was going through around that time, The Secret of NIMH ends up an animation highlight for the 80s.

It has a bit more edge than most animated films, dealing with some slightly adult themes that most kids film don't dare to touch. There's actual stakes that help you connect to the characters and get invested in the story. It can get a bit…