• Jacob Gehman

★★★★ Rewatched by Jacob Gehman 25 Jun, 2016

The Secret of NIMH was on my mom's NOPE! list. She didn't call it her NOPE! list, but it was an auto-NO along with anything else super dark, super creepy, super magicy. Despite that, The Secret of NIMH was a beloved film that my sisters and I grew up adoring.

Even now that I'm a 30-something guy, The Secret of NIMH is still worthy of adoration. The lush animation is hyper detailed and about as dark as anything you'll find…

• Christian Boudreaux

★★★★½ Rewatched by Christian Boudreaux 15 Jun, 2016

I could go ahead and go in depth about what I love and don't like about this movie (like I did in the first version of this I wrote), but I'd rather say this is my all-time favorite movie. The animation, music, story, the characters... Especially the lead character, who is one of my favorite movie characters ever. I love this movie. Absolutely. With no doubt.

• Chris McLaughlin

★★★★ Added by Chris McLaughlin

You can't be a fan of animation and not love this movie. Charming characters, beautiful animation and a unique story make this an instant classic.

• maggie

★★★½ Rewatched by maggie 15 Jun, 2016

film #4 of isa's movie challenge
    task #10: an animated film made before the '00s

this is such a quiet and calmly paced movie, but it's also got that creepy quality most don bluth films have. that's partly why i like them; it isn't even just the dark imagery and colour palettes, there's something about their style, particularly in the way characters move and the choices of voice actors, that set them apart from all other animated films.

• SoyYoynadie

★★★★ Watched by SoyYoynadie 28 May, 2016

The Sercret of NIMH logra ser una entretenida película, pero sobretodo es muy inteligente, siempre yendo un paso después de ti, es decir, antes que empieces a cuestionar que el mundo es innecesariamente complejo, te das cuenta que el mundo es simplemente el nuestro, antes que digas que digas que los niños empiezan a ser molestosos, ocurre una escena que de hecho, los desarrolla, y así sucesivamente.
    Eso sí, lo que se lleva toda la película es el personaje principal,…

• Bob Hovey

★★★★½ Rewatched by Bob Hovey 01 Jun, 2016

Don' Bluth's first feature film after leaving the Disney fold is still his best. Robert C O'Brien's wonderful book is beautifully realized here, combining humor, warmth and suspense in a way that will delight kids and adults alike (though it does get fairly dark in places, some parts are probably too intense for very young children). Great voice work by a talented cast (Hermione Baddeley, John Carradine, Dom DeLuise, Elizabeth Hartman and Derek Jacobi), some nice music and some really striking cel animation.

• Chris West

★★★★ Watched by Chris West 27 May, 2016

Well done Kid's film.

Doubt I'll ever watch it again. But, glad I did.

• David92

★★★★ Rewatched by David92 26 May, 2016

The Secret of NIMH has its problems including the troubling lack of emotion in it and too many characters with most of them being not that memorable, but the story is so fantastic and intriguing, the score is superb, the approach is refreshingly darker and more mature, there are some truly powerful and atmospheric sequences here and the animation is exceptional and one of the best of the time. It isn't great, but it is certainly a very good, very authentic animated film.

• Brooke Kamishlian

Watched by Brooke Kamishlian 23 May, 2016 1

Beautiful animation, fabulous voice acting, an interesting and surprisingly dark story, and a sweeping score elevate this film above most every other animated movie I've ever seen. I never saw this as a child but it would have had a profound effect on me. I wish I had. The old school animation is a treat to watch!

• Parker

★★★★½ Rewatched by Parker 18 May, 2016

aaaaAAAAAUUHGHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! WITH THE MICE AND THE RATS AND THE MOM MOUSE AND THINGS AND THE STUFF!!!!!

• FLMzzzzz

★★★½ Rewatched by FLMzzzzz 22 Jun, 2014

My favorite thing about this movie is Jerry Goldsmith's choice not to score it like a typical animated film. He went at it like he would any live action assignment and it elevated the film.

• Freddie

★★★★½ Rewatched by Freddie 07 May, 2016

I really wish I'd seen this as a kid, it has a great Watership Down vibe that I reckon would have had a big effect on a younger me