• Oliver Graham-Grisard

★★★★★ Watched by Oliver Graham-Grisard 28 Jul, 2014

Don Bluth never fails to amaze me and The Secret of NIMH is no exception. Mrs Brisby is probably the most loveliest character put to animation. A highly enjoyable film for the whole family.

Its sad that all the main cast has passed away, the film is not really that old if you think that 30 years is not old for a film anyway.

• Dan Hassler-Forest

★★★★ Rewatched by Dan Hassler-Forest 26 Jul, 2014

Some real problems of pacing, character, and story logic, but also plenty of great atmosphere, and some truly impressive effects work.

• Knox Gray

★★★★★ Added by Knox Gray

Enchanted me as a child. A dark fairy tale that explains why rats are assholes.

• Phortuin

★★★ Added by Phortuin

Prachtig gemaakt, maar niet meer van deze tijd

• Fredrik Fyhr

★★½ Watched by Fredrik Fyhr 07 Jun, 2014

So, this is supposed to be Don Bluth's best film or is it just something I've read somewhere? I don't know, in any case. I think NIMH carries the same problems as most of his films - murky, unstimulating visuals and plot structures that are beyond generic and unpersonal. The Mrs. Brisby character is a good one to start off with but this story ends up nowhere, passing various pit-stops that are so been-there-done-that that they barely register.

Just because…

• Josh Spiegel

★★½ Rewatched by Josh Spiegel 24 May, 2014 2

On a whim, I rewatched this with my wife tonight; it's almost certainly the first time in 20 years that I've seen the film in full, and my memory of it hasn't changed radically. I'm mostly not a fan of Don Bluth's films or the general attitude represented in his work, primarily because I find it oppressively downbeat. On one hand, I understand his desire to break away from Walt Disney Feature Animation at its weakest period. But I'm not…

• TJ Duane

★★★ Watched by TJ Duane 27 Apr, 2014

Beautiful painted backgrounds and interesting character parallelism between different characters are hindered a bit by tonal clashes and some strange, unexplained supernatural aspects of the plot. It undoes a lot of the science fiction that the film actually does a good job of setting up. Is it a fantasy film or a science fiction film? Is is a comedy or a drama? The film waffles a bit too much, and that partially has to due with the nonsensical and unexplained…

• Cody Lang

★★★★½ Added by Cody Lang 1

One of my favorite animated movies. Watched this many times as a child.

• kylegarvey

★★★½ Added by kylegarvey

Don Bluth's first post-Disney film, with a harder and more painstaking style of animation. His work can get a little fuzzed-out -- metaphorically and, as much as I admire the attention his back-to-basics approach warrants, also literally too -- although I think this first outing allowed the nicest sync of story softness and visual roughness.

• Luis Valenzuela

★★★½ Watched by Luis Valenzuela 29 Jun, 2013

Really nice animated film that can appeal both kids and adults with good animation, likable characters, a plot that starts out simple but evolves into a story filled with deep themes and its darker in tone than most children´s animated movies. However, despite that the ending leaves place for some personal interpretation for me it was a very convenient Deus Ex Machina, kinda dissapointed by it. Good film but a little overrated in my opinion.

• mazzyhope815

★★★½ Watched by mazzyhope815 25 Aug, 2012

Slow and quaint, with a very involved backstory but not much of an actual story. Still, incredibly charming based on the strength of its animation and the obvious love and care that went into it. Don Bluth was taking on Disney single-handedly in the '80s, god bless him.

• jedgeco

★★★ Rewatched by jedgeco 08 Feb, 2014

Bluth's mise-en-scène does a hell of a lot of work toward making NIMH as good as it is. Color, tone, "blocking" if you will, are what makes it memorable. The rats' rosebush city-state alone is better than pretty much anything that I can recall from Disney of the period.

Too bad the screenplay is really pretty terrible; too compressed, too many things that just don't make sense. We see Nicodemus during the opening framing narrative, omniscient aware of everything that's…