• kaztunk

★★★★★ Watched by kaztunk 25 Nov, 2016

"No taste for blood, huh? They've taken the animal out of you."

Children's entertainment in the eighties was a tad different than today, in that the vast majority of it was designed to fill kids with lifelong mortal terror. This film was certainly no exception.

As a kid, I accepted the mythology of this film outright. As an adult, it's a weird hodgepodge. You've got science fiction, fantasy, and a bizarre society of talking animals; all elements that are seemingly…

• Janina

★★½ Watched by Janina 21 Nov, 2016

This has a darker, slightly adult-oriented theme than a couple of Bluth's films that I am familiar with (The Land Before Time and American Tail). It just didn't resonate with me as much as I would've liked.

• Lola

★★★ Watched by Lola 20 Nov, 2016

y'all scientists better quit w animal testing bc:
    1) it's not nice &
    2) you're clearly giving rats all the good shit

• ARodge

★★★★ Rewatched by ARodge 18 Nov, 2016

A mostly unknown picture by Don Bluth, a great achievement in animation.

• CaitCher

★★★★★ Added by CaitCher

Has to be Don Bluth's best movie of all time. A story of a mother doing what she can to save her son from dying, even if it's to conquer her fears of cats and owls to do so. This film has a more complex plot than any other children's film, but the emotions are still there. If you want to find best films to ever exist, you have to watch The Secret of NIMH.

• Mark Granados

★★★★ Watched by Mark Granados 16 Nov, 2016

This is hands down, one of the best animated films not made by Disney. Don Bluth made a strong debut with this beautiful work of animation and showing the true power of his hand-drawn 2D style. Plus, you've got an intriguing story, a lovely cast of colorful, layered chracters, and breathtaking visuals that'll put most Disney and Ghibli films to shame. Its a hidden gem deserving of it's cult status and it deserves to be ranked amoung the greatest works animated films of all time.

• Paul Mizzi

★★★ Watched by Paul Mizzi 10 Nov, 2016 2

Beautiful animation in service of a underdeveloped story and characters that range from boring to annoying. In this day and age it really is special to see rich 2D animation like this, the character animation in particular is so detailed and expressive.

• Anby

★★★½ Watched by Anby 05 Nov, 2016

This tale of a genetically modified rat society reads visually more like Tolkien than Crichton! Don't know what they're doing but I like it!

• red

★★★★ Rewatched by red 30 Oct, 2016

One of my childhood favourites, and just as charming to watch as an adult. Beautiful landscapes and animation, cute characters and a seriously sinister origin story. All the best animated films are a caution against animal testing.

The Secret of Nimh shits all over feminism though; what the heck is Mrs Brisby's first name? Although I suppose you could argue that the film is about a strong woman stepping out of her husband's shadowing and finding her own strength. Ether…

• Flick Fanatics (m@)

★★★★ Watched by Flick Fanatics (m@) 18 Oct, 2016

This is a good one. It's dark, beautifully composed, and tells a pretty nice story.

• catpeople22

★★★ Watched by catpeople22 08 Oct, 2016

Holds up and one of the best animated films of its era. Commentary on the dangers of animal testing, wish the movie was not exploitative to crows/magpies but thats kid friendly animated for you, strong female lead! Beautiful animation and creature design

• Jen

★★★ Watched by Jen 08 Oct, 2016

I've known men with the exact personality of the tag-along bozo bird.