• solarbox

★★★ Watched by solarbox 12 Jul, 2016

Why does Mrs. Johnathan Brisby not have a first name? Why am I soo endeared by Elizabeth Hartman performance as Mrs. Johnathan Brisby? Is this an Oedipus thing? Why is Jeremy in this movie? Why does every Don Bluth movie have really uneven animation, but incredible backgrounds?

This movie always made me feel uneasy when I watched it as a kid and I always thought the premise was really interesting.

• Lucas Mass

★★★★ Watched by Lucas Mass 10 Jul, 2016

‘The Secret of NIMH’ is a movie that explodes with atmosphere and world-building. Don Bluth’s directorial debut is nothing short of Oscar worthy (if only the best animated feature category had existed in 1982). You really don’t see animated movies like this anymore, movies that don’t shy away from showing how dangerous of an environment the characters are in - which leads to a much more satisfying ending.

• Ciaran

★★★★ Rewatched by Ciaran 10 Jul, 2016

the owl deserved more screen time. nicademaus' death was #tragic.

• kay

★★★★ Watched by kay 10 Jul, 2016

Why does every evil animal have one injured eye? Also Nickadeamus is a stupid name.

• Geoff

★★★★★ Added by Geoff

Beautifully drawn and detailed

• Timm Jett

★★★★ Rewatched by Timm Jett 02 Jul, 2016

I remember this movie being pretty groundbreaking when it came out.

• Artpig (Brett)

★★★½ Watched by Artpig (Brett) 28 Jun, 2016 1

74/100

Overall, a good film. I do wish Disney did it however, and it had that magic awe they are able to bring to these films so easily. Overall I think the film lacks in world building, resonance and developed characters. I didn't feel or think anything really about this movie. I love it's dark atmosphere and complex plot, but, I wish the storytelling was better, which is Don Bluth's biggest weakness in my opinion that made his films overshadowed by Disney's best. Good film, but, it has potential to be great.

• Jacob Gehman

★★★★ Rewatched by Jacob Gehman 25 Jun, 2016

The Secret of NIMH was on my mom's NOPE! list. She didn't call it her NOPE! list, but it was an auto-NO along with anything else super dark, super creepy, super magicy. Despite that, The Secret of NIMH was a beloved film that my sisters and I grew up adoring.

Even now that I'm a 30-something guy, The Secret of NIMH is still worthy of adoration. The lush animation is hyper detailed and about as dark as anything you'll find…

• Christian Boudreaux

★★★★½ Rewatched by Christian Boudreaux 15 Jun, 2016

I could go ahead and go in depth about what I love and don't like about this movie (like I did in the first version of this I wrote), but I'd rather say this is my all-time favorite movie. The animation, music, story, the characters... Especially the lead character, who is one of my favorite movie characters ever. I love this movie. Absolutely. With no doubt.

• Chris McLaughlin

★★★★ Added by Chris McLaughlin

You can't be a fan of animation and not love this movie. Charming characters, beautiful animation and a unique story make this an instant classic.

• maggie

★★★½ Rewatched by maggie 15 Jun, 2016

film #4 of isa's movie challenge
    task #10: an animated film made before the '00s

this is such a quiet and calmly paced movie, but it's also got that creepy quality most don bluth films have. that's partly why i like them; it isn't even just the dark imagery and colour palettes, there's something about their style, particularly in the way characters move and the choices of voice actors, that set them apart from all other animated films.

• SoyYoynadie

★★★★ Watched by SoyYoynadie 28 May, 2016

The Sercret of NIMH logra ser una entretenida película, pero sobretodo es muy inteligente, siempre yendo un paso después de ti, es decir, antes que empieces a cuestionar que el mundo es innecesariamente complejo, te das cuenta que el mundo es simplemente el nuestro, antes que digas que digas que los niños empiezan a ser molestosos, ocurre una escena que de hecho, los desarrolla, y así sucesivamente.
    Eso sí, lo que se lleva toda la película es el personaje principal,…