• Alex H

★★★½ Watched by Alex H 24 Mar, 2015

March Around the World | #22 - Japan

It's a testament to Studio Ghibli's talent that even when taking an established and much-adapted story, they can find so many ways to utilise their creativity. Arrietty is a beautifully animated (seems almost pointless stating this for a Ghibli film) and wonderfully told tale with surprising amounts of heart and depth. Easily the best adaptation of The Borrowers put to screen and a worthy entry to Ghibli's filmography.

• Michael Stuhlman

★★★½ Added by Michael Stuhlman

Though its a familiar story, Arrietty winds up distinguishing itself from the typical "children's" story with long stretches of no dialogue, arresting artwork and a non-cliched ending. I wouldn't say I was ever blown away by it but it was entertaining and endearing from start to finish.

• Sierra

★★★½ Watched by Sierra 15 Mar, 2015

Studio Ghibli's version of "The Borrowers," and it's been a while since I've seen it. I like this version best.

• Putri Adiaty Suciwulandhari

★★★★ Added by Putri Adiaty Suciwulandhari

My favorite Ghibli's.

• Justin Willis

★★★ Watched by Justin Willis 01 Mar, 2015

It was a gorgeous movie. The animation style used here was beautiful to look at. The world building was excellent, especially the borrowers items and house. The plot was a little thin, but the characters mostly made up for it. The main antagonist was horribly executed. Many of her actions left me bewildered and I felt the screenwriters simply used her to add more to the plot. I liked the theme of courage and growing up that we see through both the leads. The soundtrack and effects were top notch aswell.

• Dreception

★★½ Watched by Dreception 01 Mar, 2015

It was pretty alright. Nothing special in my opinion. The concept, or the places the story went, weren't really that original or fresh. So this is is just okay. I liked the voice acting though.

• James Gorton

★★★★ Rewatched by James Gorton 01 Mar, 2015

Arrietty's beauty lies in it's restraint, with fantasy elements being wonderfully grounded whilst Ghibli's animation transforms the mundane into the magical.

• grssants

★★★★ Added by grssants

A beautiful and delicate film that shows again why Studio Ghibli's definitive closure would be a colossal loss to Cinema.

• Lucas

★★★★½ Rewatched by Lucas 17 Feb, 2015

Studio Ghibli has taken a great story from my childhood and make such a fantastic film. Clearly they are visionaries and each film is a treasure and a masterpiece, these a films for the whole family to sit back and watch.

• Patrick

★★★½ Watched by Patrick 13 Feb, 2015

Really great, but also oddly depressing in a few scenes.

• Iestyn Lloyd

★★★ Watched by Iestyn Lloyd 15 Feb, 2015

Although this was nice in a Studio Ghibli kind of way, I enjoyed the 1997, The Borrowers, version of this story much more.

• ATU0

★★★★ Watched by ATU0 06 Feb, 2015

Right in the kokoro. Cécile Corbel certainly did help.