• t2kickassjedi

★★★★ Added by t2kickassjedi

The Secret World of Arrietty is a really fun and magical animated film with a great concept.

• Owen Erasmus

★★★★ Watched by Owen Erasmus 29 Jul, 2015

Lovely adaptation of the Borrowers which manages to pull off transplanting it to modern Japan perfectly and work as a coming of age tale for Arrietty as well as a beautifully realised adventure story.

The animation, backgrounds and designs are stunning, the size issues convince at every single point and make a magical but dangerous environment that aids the storytelling at every point.

I remember loving the books when I was a child and this was a surprisingly satisfying adaptation, my daughter loved it but I can't wait for her to be old enough to properly get the characters as Arrietty herself is a great lead.

• Dan Nordquist

★★½ Watched by Dan Nordquist 25 Jul, 2015

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

This film might be an innocent victim of misplaced expectations on my part, but I felt like I understood the concept going in: three-inch-tall people live among us and must avoid detection. The film takes about an hour of its runtime to establish that, though, so the resolution of the conflict seemed rushed. I'm also not sure if act 3 is about the Borrowers escaping, or if it's about the humans having a change of heart / accepting the Borrowers. On the upside, you get a perfectly rendered Miyazaki world. Nothing else really works.

• Lars Sieval

★★★★½ Watched by Lars Sieval 12 Jul, 2015

Another epic world build by the great minds that work at Studio Ghibli.

This time we see Hiromasa Yonebayashi direct his first film for Studio Ghibli and it's lovely. We follow a family of little people, I mean borrowers, who live in houses of humans. They borrow stuff they won't miss and live their lives until they are seen and have to move. Shō is a boy who has to have a heart operation and the week before sleeps at…

• Eric Danley

★★★★★ Watched by Eric Danley 06 Jul, 2015

The film was a well done adaptation of the common "borrowers" story. I enjoyed watching this with my family, and my 5 year daughter was captivated throughout.

• Ben

★★★ Watched by Ben 04 Jul, 2015

The Secret World of Arrietty is very pretty to look at and has its charming moments, but it lacks the narrative and depth that most other Studio Ghibli films have built themselves on. Simplicity does not a bad film make - just look at My Neighbor Totoro - but I never really empathized or felt connected to most of the characters. It felt as though everyone was nice until the house-maid in the third act who had a sudden face-heel…

• Sashi Kirana

★★★★★ Watched by Sashi Kirana 01 Jul, 2015

I did not grow up with Studio Ghibli. But It's still beautiful whenever I remember I saw the first Ghibli films; it was Grave of the Fireflies, and although it was not as 'happy' as other works, in my mind I was telling myself that finally I found these gems, which long I haven't see.

The Secret World of Arriettty is a beautiful work and automatically wake the 'child imagination' in me. I'm not so sure how to explain, but…

• Vonne Patiag

★★★★ Rewatched by Vonne Patiag 10 Jun, 2015

A fine Ghibli except at times suffers from almost too small a world (though I guess considering the thimble size of the protagonist this might be intentional).

• wildlark

★★★★ Rewatched by wildlark 21 Jun, 2015 2

Arrietty is not a grand epic, which is, I suppose, part of why I hesitate to call it another Ghibli masterpiece. I personally go for films like Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away; the ambitious qualities of those movies are difficult to ignore, and the fact that they manage to pull off such large-scale stories successfully really impresses me. Even with the smaller-scale Ghibli works, I tend to go for set-ups that resemble Kiki's Delivery Service or Yonebayashi's latest film, When…

• Daniel O'Raw

★★★★ Watched by Daniel O'Raw 20 Jun, 2015

Just beautiful... not sure why that old woman had to be so evil though.

• Christian Katzorke

★★★½ Watched by Christian Katzorke 15 Jun, 2015

Another wonderful Ghibli movie. Heartwarming, beautifully drawn.

• MarrowsAreCool

★★★★ Watched by MarrowsAreCool 13 Jun, 2015

A simple cube of sugar begins a beautiful story.