• Sarah Shachat

★★★★ Added by Sarah Shachat 2

Exactly as gentle and sweet as it's intended, and the intent behind The Secret World of Arrietty is striking and maybe kind of radical. Pixar - battered by regurgitating properties though they are - are still the critical heavyweights of animation in the US, and they would probably never attempt a film with this level of stillness and quiet. Sure, there are similar transporting shifts of perspectives here - our heroine is, after, a Borrower, or a tiny person who…

• bouman

★★★★★ Watched by bouman 02 May, 2015

Maravillosa es poco.

• Mr. Logical

★★★½ Watched by Mr. Logical 12 Mar, 2015

In hindsight I think my biggest problem with this film is that the story and character relationships felt very half-baked. The boy rubbed me the wrong way. It seemed like his only two traits were "charming" and "has a heart condition." He had no personality, just a strange fixation with the lead, who seems to melt at whenever he speaks. Compare this to a relationship like Kiki and Tombo in Kiki's Delivery Service, where one can do without the other…

• Kev.

★★★★½ Rewatched by Kev. 29 Apr, 2015 1

When I started watching all these Studio Ghibli films about a week ago, my original intention was to view the catalog in chronological order of release, but as you can see I just said "fuck it" at some point. I will watch them all, just in my own order. Fuck regulations.

Anyways, THE SECRET WORLD OF ARRIETTY is absolutely delightful. At this point in Ghibli's history, it had been a lengthy time since the studio had crafted one of their…

• Yumin Ha

★★★ Added by Yumin Ha

solid ghibli

• Di Kuchiki

★★★★½ Watched by Di Kuchiki 12 Apr, 2015

Totes aborbs

• Luke Compton

★½ Added by Luke Compton 3

Nope, sorry, this film wasn't very good.
    It wasn't charming, endearing or emotionally engaging.
    Studio Ghibli is very hit and miss with me. This just didn't do anything for me.
    The characters were just annoying and the narrative events were just not engaging.
    I didn't care what happened to people and the emotional twists did absolutely nothing.
    I watched a 5 minute short film before and cried because I was invested. This film couldn't do that at all in 70 minutes. It tried lazily to do so though.
    I don't get the love for it. It pales in comparison to My Neighbour Totoro.

• Luke Compton

★½ Added by Luke Compton

This is the closest I'll ever come to switching off a film without actually doing so.
    I have 40 minutes left and this film is killing me. My veins are pulsating with frustration.
    Over half of the Ghibli films really don't do anything for me.

• David Gutierrez

★★★★½ Added by David Gutierrez

I'm surprised how ignored Arrietty was by its release. It's one of the best, most touching and magical movies by Studio Ghibi (of course below Spirited Away and Totoro), with a great detailed scenario, gorgeous animation, beautiful and maching music and an amazing opening. It's also very, very cute and a near-masterpiece overall.

• Tommy Howlett

★★★ Watched by Tommy Howlett 20 Apr, 2015

It was alright. Safe, but unfortunate. I really liked the concept and the execution of the little people's lives were almost exquisite, with beautifully crafted artwork and lively animation. It felt more, 'Disney', than the rest of the Ghibli works plot-wise, but I don't think that's a bad thing. It was fitting for the concept, but alas the film didn't explore the concept far enough to make me care entirely about the individuals. The setting was definitely interesting, the story…

• CinemaClown

★★★★½ Watched by CinemaClown 17 Apr, 2015 10

Affectionately crafted, mesmerisingly told & gorgeously photographed, The Secret World of Arrietty (simply known as Arrietty) is the best Studio Ghibli feature-length film that wasn't directed by Hayao Miyazaki. An extremely underrated masterwork of staggering beauty, it is undoubtedly one of the most enchanting works of animation to surface on the film canvas.

Based on the children's book The Borrowers by Mary Norton, the story of Arrietty concerns its titular character & her family; a group of tiny people on the brink…

• Frances McGouran

★★★ Added by Frances McGouran

Beautiful film and music, not one of my favourite Studio Ghilbi films as I felt it took a while to get into. Still very cute.