• Wilson

★★★★ Rewatched by Wilson 15 Dec, 2014

Hiromasa Yonebayashi's Arrietty is one of Studio Ghibli most understated films, but it has a really deft emotional touch. It is one of the most purely sweet films made in recent years, just that perfect spot between sentiment and melancholy. It is a recreation of youth through fantasy that you do not often see within cinema, but is wonderfully common in novels. The animation is, of course, breathtaking, Cecile Corbel's unusual score is completely effective and the story is simplistic but carries the weight of the feeling incanted by the films spell with complete ease. A quite wonderful piece of cinema.

• Kent Strauss

★★★½ Watched by Kent Strauss 01 Dec, 2014

Nothing new here but the usual Studio Ghibli flair. The character Arrietty is smart cute brave and fun.

• Nick

★★★ Added by Nick

A charming--albeit simple and a bit dull--interpretation on the classic tale "The Borrowers". The characters are well-realized and likable and the animation is beautiful as always. Really everything is done quite well but not one aspect of this movie stands out as above-average. The ending especially felt way too abrupt considering the emotion that had been set-up by that point.

• Rufio850

★★★★½ Watched by Rufio850 09 Nov, 2014

One of my personal favorites from Miyazaki. He set the bar high again with his animation, story and characters. Shot in the eyes of a borrower, you see the life through their eyes as they borrow materialistic items humans either don't use or won't miss. Great metaphors and hidden meanings brings the audience to understand what's really important and grounds them back to life on earth.

• Panta Oz

★★★★ Added by Panta Oz

I am not a fan of Japanese animation, but this Japanese animated fantasy directed by Hiromasa Yonebayashi and scripted by Hayao Miyazaki and Keiko Niwa, deserved my attention for the whole 1 hour and 34 minutes . It is based on The Borrowers by Mary Norton, an English author of children's books, about a family of tiny people who live secretly in the walls and floors of a typical household, borrowing items from humans to survive. Telling the story of…

• Cogerson

★★★★ Watched by Cogerson 29 Nov, 2014

This one comes from the same studio as Spirited Away and Ponyo....and it fits in nicely with those two movies. In this one a family of Borrowers (tiny people living in a dollhouse) is found out by the beans (humans). This one has some nice animation....with a pretty sweet sorry that will entertain the kids and the parents. My kids give it 5 stars....I give it 3.5 stars.....so we get a final rating of 4.0 stars.

• Jay-r Trinidad

★★★★ Watched by Jay-r Trinidad 24 Nov, 2014

a children's classic, in true ghibli fashion.

reeking of awesomeness.

• Michael Clarke

★★★★ Watched by Michael Clarke 25 Nov, 2014 2

I'll begin with the biggest negative: Tom Holland in the UK dub. So, so bad, like he wasn't even trying. I guess it was my own fault for watching a dub instead of subtitles, but it was still shockingly lackluster. Despite that, the film is stunning. The story may be slight but the animation team have filled the world with such incredible details, it's easy to become absorbed in every moment. This is such a beautiful little film, I can…

• fatpie42

★★★★½ Watched by fatpie42 19 Feb, 2012 2

I wasn't sure what to expect from this. I hadn't heard anyone else hyping this one up. Dammit internet, what is WRONG with you?

So anyway, the movie starts up with a young boy being driven somewhere in a car, so pretty similar to the beginning of Spirited Away. However, eventually we reach the house and suddenly the focus shifts from the boy moving into the house, straight to a tiny thumb-sized girl hiding from the cat in the bushes.…

• Kirk Gospel

★★★★ Rewatched by Kirk Gospel 18 Nov, 2014

The good: Music, difference in sizes
    The bad: lack of locations

My biggest disappointment is that this whole movie is self contained in the house and under the floor boards and garden. I wish it had shown a lot more areas for the borrowers to have explored or be seen in by us.

The music is so chilled and relaxing and different. I like the entire soundtrack more than any other Ghibli movie.

• Adrian Zachow

★★★ Watched by Adrian Zachow 03 Jul, 2011

Pretty, as per usual for any Studio Ghibli film, but rather simple if not flat tale of a boy who encounters little people (aka Borrowers) in the country house he is staying.

• Oliver Graham-Grisard

★★★★ Watched by Oliver Graham-Grisard 13 Nov, 2014

Based on the Borrowers, The Secret World of Arrietty is fun and enjoyable. Its also insanely cute!
    Not everything is like the book though but that's not a bad thing.