• MovieMan995

★★★★ Added by MovieMan995

Another winner from Studio Ghibli. This adaptation of Mary Norton's Borrowers series is a loose adaptation of her novels but what is done with it is an entertaining translation of her adventures with extremely beautiful and detailed animation and a good story. The film also features a nice Morricone-esque score and is well-mixed, as with other Ghibli productions. The voice casting is also very good, highlights including Bridgit Mendler in the title role, Will Arnett going against type playing the Harrison Ford-like Pod and Carroll Burnett as the film's villain, Ms. Hara.

If you love Studio Ghibli, it's right up your alley.

• Ryan Bruce

★★★★ Watched by Ryan Bruce 20 Jul, 2014

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

• Jamie

★★★★★ Rewatched by Jamie 21 Jul, 2014

Some of the detail I caught this time round is astonishing. I love the stamps on the wall for pictures, the knight chess piece in the wall as a statue and the watch from a wrist watch on the wall for their clock--plus so much more! This film's detail is just fantastic!

• Ben Ace

★★★★ Watched by Ben Ace 21 Jul, 2014

The Secret World of Arrietty is a very enjoyable movie that fully realizes the idea of smaller people living within our world. It's cute, clever, and quite beautiful with lots of attention to detail and a simple yet sweet story.

• LiteYear

★★★★ Rewatched by LiteYear 19 Jul, 2014

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

• Kade Johnson

★★★ Watched by Kade Johnson 17 Jul, 2014

Arrietty is the first film by young Ghibli newcomer Hiromasa Yonebayashi, and for a first film, it's good. I might call it textbook - it's rough around the egdes, there are parts that feel not as well established as maybe in the written works. Characters definitely could have been more rounded. Yonebayashi is also extremely lucky to be with Ghibli though - the studio makes his film look as good as it can, which makes first impressions for a young…

• Eugene McCrann

★★★ Added by Eugene McCrann

Down with this Ghibli joint, solely because it falls dead smack between Spirited Away's indecipherable remoteness and Ponyo's kiddie oriented pictograms. Just classical, patient storytelling that runs on a wire, the scaled imagery as good as anything from this factory. Could have done without the mother and maid characters' irrational hysteria, but those stock types are a Japanese thing.

• Sean Frost

★★★★½ Watched by Sean Frost 15 Jul, 2014

A fantastic piece of animation, with a well-told story. Arrietty is one of the many great heroines from Studio Ghibli. I wish Disney would actually learn from these terrific films they bought the distribution rights to.

• Dirk van Eck

★★★½ Watched by Dirk van Eck 12 Jul, 2014 2

Of course it comes as no surprise that the crafted animations within this feature are simply astounding, since it is a Ghibli production. What however did surprise me with that knowledge in the back of my head, was that unlike other films that have been put forward by the famous Japanese studio, this film follows a logical plot, not driven by random acts and dialogues, but with rational motivations behind every action. That in itself is a big upturn for…

• Rob Clough

★★★★ Watched by Rob Clough 02 Jul, 2014

Looking down on the wiki page for Studio Ghibli I noticed a title that I had completely forgot about: Arrietty.

When this film came out I was slightly amused by the premise, a film from one the best animation companies in the world chose to build a story from the very same novel a film from my childhood had done so - Mary Norton's the Borrowers, from 1952. The story highlights the adventures of a miniature family, and their first…

• Ian Buckwalter

★★★½ Watched by Ian Buckwalter 11 Feb, 2012

Read my NPR review.

• ElectricApple

Added by ElectricApple

Ghibli at it's modern finest. I loved the Borrowers, and this is an amazing visual adaptation. Would it be possible to see a sequel? Doubtful, but so, so, wanted.