• Bramaster

★★★ Watched by Bramaster 18 Aug, 2015

I think it would be fine if this movie remained a secret to me.

I dunno. Is there something wrong with me? I thought this was fine, but not amazing or anything.

The animation is pretty.

The lead from Good Luck Charlie does the voice here for the American version, along with Amy Pohler and Will Arnett. I don't know what it was, but it all just felt a bit off.

There's just slightly weird thinks that don't connect with…

• Nick Doucet

★★★★½ Watched by Nick Doucet 25 Aug, 2015

Whimsical charming, adorable, cool. The Secret World of Arrietty is all of the good adjectives. The 3rd movie in my Ghibli marathon might be my favorite, I'm not sure yet. It's once again, insanely imaginative and made me smile so many times, I think my face started hurting. Oh, and it has like the best score ever.

• Ryster

★★★★ Watched by Ryster 23 Aug, 2015

Here's the thing with The Secret World of Arrietty, it's a Studio Ghibli version of The Borrowers. Now I've never been a big fan of anything about The Borrowers so I held off watching this film for a while but it ended up being a real surprise. It perfectly captures the sense of height that The Borrowers are and it looks brilliant. It's a film that has kids in mind but ends up being quite sad and emotional with a…

• silenttom

★★★½ Watched by silenttom 23 Dec, 2012

Slight, but enjoyable fantasy from Studio Ghibli. Adapting from the world of The Borrowers, the film takes the idea and creates a vibrant environment around it. Seeing everyday items re-envisioned from the smaller perspective of these small people is intriguing and creatively animated. The actual small characters are also intriguing, feeling like genuine real characters simply trying to live in an environment where they aren't the dominant force provides ample conflict in their daily lives. That being said, the main…

• Jeff_J

Rewatched by Jeff_J 15 Aug, 2015

___________________________________________________________
    Film #11 of the "Scavenger Hunt August 2015"
    Task #18. A film that takes place in the summer

letterboxd.com/jeff_j/list/scavenger-hunt-august-2015/
    _____________________________________________

Thoughts:

It's hard for me to exactly pin point what it is about this movie that I enjoy so much. It's got a simple beauty to it. I think what I like about it is it's intense attention to detail. It's a movie literally and figuratively under a microscope. Everything in Arrietty's home, every piece of equipment they use,…

• James Malley

★★★ Watched by James Malley 17 Aug, 2015

When Arrietty started I had a pretty strong feeling I would wind up loving it, but sadly by the end I was a bit disappointed. The movie sets up the world wonderfully in the beginning by showing the daily life of the Borrowers, including their home and the way they work when the humans have gone to sleep. It was great to see the regular world when compared to a Borrowers' miniscule viewpoint, and Ghibli's always wonderful animation was as…

• Gregory Porter

★★★★★ Added by Gregory Porter

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

Bottom line: Beautiful animated movie that I would highly recommend to anyone especially with children.

The Secret World of Arreitty is based on the novel The Borrowers by Mary Norton. You might be familiar with the 1997 adaptation The Borrowers starring John Goodman and Jim Broadbent. Jim Broadbent is one Harry Potter professor who tells Tom Riddle about that secret spell. Speaking of Harry Potter, do you know else is in that movie? Draco Malfoy! Or, rather, Tom Felton. Anyway,…

• Jon Tucker

★★½ Added by Jon Tucker

( C- ) This movie was insteresting but japanimation has never really been my thing. Funny moments just come of creepy & emotional moments, however slight, seem like the end of the world. The ending was sad & touching but I feel like the whole thing would've worked a lot better as a 20 minute short film.

• movieboyer long

★★★½ Added by movieboyer long

This Hiromasa film actually captures your atenttion.
    A tiny teenager and ger family live under humans house floor and survive borrowing items from humans.

With a artistic animation this movie is for all ages and for all it may be fun.
    The feelings are so well made that you forget who you are and just daze of into the film like if you were part of the animation.

• MrJago

★★★½ Watched by MrJago 01 Aug, 2015

Lovely.

• t2kickassjedi

★★★★ Added by t2kickassjedi

The Secret World of Arrietty is a really fun and magical animated film with a great concept.

• Owen Erasmus

★★★★ Watched by Owen Erasmus 29 Jul, 2015

Lovely adaptation of the Borrowers which manages to pull off transplanting it to modern Japan perfectly and work as a coming of age tale for Arrietty as well as a beautifully realised adventure story.

The animation, backgrounds and designs are stunning, the size issues convince at every single point and make a magical but dangerous environment that aids the storytelling at every point.

I remember loving the books when I was a child and this was a surprisingly satisfying adaptation, my daughter loved it but I can't wait for her to be old enough to properly get the characters as Arrietty herself is a great lead.