• dng

★★★★★ Rewatched by dng 01 Feb, 2015

One day soon I might be allowed to stop watching this.

• Joshua Correll

★★★★ Watched by Joshua Correll 25 Jan, 2015

A wonderful adventure film with beautiful animation, excellent sound design, and a movingly sweet story.

• Sarfaraz Abbasi

★★★★ Added by Sarfaraz Abbasi

The Secret World of Arrietty (Arrietty in Japan), directed by Hiromasa Yonebayashi, based on novel The Borrowers by Mary Norton. I found this movie to be doing enough work around its story to entertain us. It has almost everything, characters, dialogues, sober music-score, colorful-look. This film sure doesn't break any record, yet it's charming and intelligent. I must confess few animation movies lack substance to attract our constant attention, in which case I truly believe, Arrietty almost succeeds (wholeheartedly).

• adamdjilali

★★★½ Added by adamdjilali

I found the plot arc and characterization quite bland compared to Miyazaki's other movies. The animation and score, are absolutely gorgeous.

• Jason MD-P

★★★★★ Added by Jason MD-P

Pretty much perfect. Lovely soundtrack, beautiful animation, relatable characters, bittersweet plot, imaginative setting...Miyazaki hits another grand slam, and he didn't even need to direct it!

• FilmEgg

★★★★ Watched by FilmEgg 15 Jan, 2015

Absolutely beautiful. Has such a wonderful feel for life in nature that it almost reduced me to tears.

Pity that the version of the music sung in English has horrible singing and that Mark Strong sounds like Batman.

• DT

★★★★½ Watched by DT 17 Jan, 2015

While usually successful, Studio Ghibli can have mixed success when it comes to adapting stories for their films - compare the popularity of Howl’s Moving Castle (based on a novel by Diana Wynne Jones) to the ambivalence towards Tales from Earthsea (not least from author Ursula K. Le Guin herself). Having not read these films’ source material beforehand, it becomes easier to judge them on their own merits.

Inspired by Mary Norton’s The Borrowers, The Secret World of Arrietty features…

• Emma Lane

★★★★½ Watched by Emma Lane 29 Jul, 2011

Dad

• Dan Gvozden

★★★★ Watched by Dan Gvozden 08 Feb, 2012

To welcome the embrace of the animated universe of Studio Ghibli, creators of such films as Spirited Away and Ponyo, is to be culturally bewitched. Under the focused vision of Hayao Miyazaki and team, Studio Ghibli have proven themselves to be the new torch-bearer of hand-drawn animation and of the modern fable; addressing such important topics as the value of family, preservation of the environment, and the destructive nature of greed.

Studio Ghibli’s fantasies are truly the product of Japanese…

• Jonathan Edney

★★★★ Watched by Jonathan Edney 05 Jan, 2015

A charming take on Mary Norton's The Borrowers that has a surprising emotional edge to it (although having done some research, elements of this are in the original story). As ever, Studio Ghibli's animation is beautiful to behold from the natural exteriors to the world of Arrietty, Pod and Homily, where everyday objects are larger and have other uses and the entire film as a whimsical, fairy-tale charm to it as Arrietty (and us with her) is introduced to the world of human beans. A simple story, beautifully told.

• Jonas Danielsson

★★★½ Watched by Jonas Danielsson 26 Jan, 2014

In a time where the future of Studio Ghibli seems very uncertain, it's good to know that there is talent waiting to take over once the great masters retire. This gentle adaptation of an English children's book that I'm not very familiar with (The Burrowers) take the idea of 'little people' and places it firmly in familiar Ghibli territory. While I might have wanted a little bit more of an individual voice for a debut film, it's hard (and indeed…

• NdYAG