• skubrick

Added by skubrick

The Smurfs......... God I hate this movie. The Smurfs is a 2011 remake of the 1981 cartoon..... and It is horrible. When the evil wizard Gargamel chases the tiny blue Smurfs out of their village, they tumble from their magical world into New York City...... yeah.... that's the story.

First, I just want to comment on the story, why does everything have to take place in modern days? Why couldn't this be like the cartoon, and take place in the…

• janae

★★½ Added by janae

I felt like this had a pretty weird plot but I enjoyed it well enough to keep watching it until the end.

• Max the Movie Kid

½ Watched by Max the Movie Kid 01 Mar, 2014

Never has a cash grab been any more smurfin' obvious in the history of cinema. Not even Foodfight was this obvious - all the product placement, the blatant unoriginality, the godawful puns (approved by the Peyo family), the in-your-face marketing schemes; Grouchy falls in love with a Ms. Green plush doll. You know, the female M&M?

It further goes to show that if you add a touch of realism to a beloved classic cartoon character's eyes, the result will take…

• Ben Lott

★★★ Added by Ben Lott

When it comes to movies based on the cartoons I used to watch as a kid, I'm usually disappointed. The movies aren't necessarily bad, but I'm older now so the kid-focused stuff tends to lose some of that magic it had when I was the target age. The Smurfs does run into the same issue somewhat.

The nice thing about this movie though is that they don't take the idea too seriously, so we're all able to relax and just…

• josh pinchin

★★½ Watched by josh pinchin 04 Feb, 2014

was an average watch

• David Waddington

★★ Added by David Waddington

Although The A-Team and Transformers seemed like obvious 80s inspirations for cinematic outings, little blue Belgian creatures The Smurfs may seem a strange inspiration for a money-spinning franchise.

However, despite a monstrous taking at the box office, it’s a case of little style, no substance.

Director Raja Gosnell draws on his extensive experience helming such cinematic classics as Beverley Hills Chihuahua and Scooby Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed, to meld CG characters in a real-life setting, which, despite some occasionally awkward…

• WesternUnion

★★ Watched by WesternUnion 09 Oct, 2013

47/100

It's another stupid American movie.......energetically so. I hate having low expectations proven right. There's also some fluid, thoroughly detailed CGI animation, and even a painstaking method to its dialogue and general air of stupidity that makes it a little less worse than it might have been.......is that because of Neil Patrick Harris or what? Still not saying much.

• Ahmad Bilal

★★★½ Watched by Ahmad Bilal 23 Nov, 2011

Weired. Cute. Awkward. Weired. Weirder. Weirdest. Between some immensely awkward scenes which deserved facepalms, i found myself smiling or laughing for the most part. Each Smurf character had a chemistry and were hilarious to look at and listen to. They interaction with the World was intriguing. Merging these characters with real world must've taken some incredible work, and for the most part ... the CGI is absolutely fantastic, with some obvious flaws at some points.

Smurfs themselves showing different traits…

• Brian Hammons

★★ Watched by Brian Hammons 03 Jan, 2014

After I felt like I got smurfed on too many smurfberries. Mostly brainless yet harmless fun, Gargamel was kind of creepy in an unintended way, and Neil Patrick Harris' subplot as an advertising executive was vapid.

• Steph Gover

★★ Watched by Steph Gover 03 Jan, 2014

I can't help but feel like someone said "Let's make a smurf movie because people love the smurfs and will therefore watch it no matter what so we'll make lots of money" and everyone just let an idiot make it.

I don't know, the animation is good, and the actors are great..
    It's just the story i didn't like. It was lazy. The fact that is was a smurf movie didn't carry it through for me. I don't get why…

• jdbiebers

★★ Added by jdbiebers

I definetley saw this movie for Katy Perry.. I have to say I had to laugh, it was definetley funny, but I didn't like the story.

• Sean Wicks

Watched by Sean Wicks 29 Nov, 2013

I watch movies like this out of fascination. I can't help but wonder what goes through the actor's heads as they go through the motions of hugging CGI characters that aren't on set and recite the lines from the script - or what they think when they read the script? Obviously like the rest of us, actors, writers and directors have to eat and taking a paycheck to keep the mortgage payments up is completely understandable and justifiable.