• Michael Schutz-Ryan

★★★★½ Added by Michael Schutz-Ryan

Surprisingly good. I mean, really good. Much smarter than I'd anticipated. Great chills.

• Brian

★★★ Watched by Brian 14 Aug, 2015

This was not very good yet I found it oddly compelling. I can't really say why. I am not even sure about my rating.

• SouloGuero

Added by SouloGuero

The makers of Martyrs released this right after the aforementioned masterpiece. The expectations, insight and hope I invested for this one were totally wasted. To be fair and judge it on its own merits, it is entirely forgettable. It's like everything the Wachowskis made after the brilliant The Matrix and we've been left wondering where the magical story-telling talent went. Maybe the deal with the devil had a conditional clause.

• chill007

★★★ Added by chill007

The Tall Man was not the typical horror movie.. I wouldn't even classifi it as horror, more thriller or mystery.

• mia

Watched by mia 20 Jul, 2015

This film was not at all what I expected!

• M Kitchell

★★★★ Watched by M Kitchell 04 Jan, 2014

In considering Laugier's oeuvre, I feel like this film (which, from any ostensible point, seems to be painted as his "mainstream" film) cements the bleak dissatisfaction that runs through his line of thought. I need to revisit this in tangent with Martyrs, as I really think there's something *there* that hasn't been mentioned.

• FakeRobHunter

★★★½ Rewatched by FakeRobHunter 08 Jun, 2015

I know all you hate this one, but I'm a fan. It opens with some legit scares and atmosphere before pulling an unexpected turn and shifting our allegiances. It's handled smartly, and Biel does great work with the lead character. The third act is guaranteed to be even more divisive among viewers, but again, I think it tackles its ideas with intelligence and an intriguing final few minutes.

• John Robinson

★★★½ Added by John Robinson

Surprisingly good, if pretty bleak.

• Erik Stolpmann

★★ Watched by Erik Stolpmann 23 May, 2015

The film tries to stand too tall for its own good and falls on a narrative that could have been powerful.

• Ricky Lee Everett

★★★½ Watched by Ricky Lee Everett 26 Apr, 2015

Foreign language director does Hollywood Horror with a twist; one twist too many? Moral question strikes a chord? Yes and No can be levelled at both these questions, but nevertheless there's a bold and strong central performance from Jessica Biel that won me over.

• Luke Pauli

★★★★ Watched by Luke Pauli 12 Apr, 2015

As I watched Pascal Laugier's follow up to Martyrs, it's fair to say I was enjoying it but with a wry eye. I felt like I'd seen this movie before, small town besieged by boogeyman etc etc, rinse repeat. But then it completely flips upon itself about a third of the way though and the film careens off in unexpected directions. To say too much would be to ruin the surprises this film holds. So my advice would be to…

• Chris

★★★ Added by Chris

This is a film about the strange disappearances of kids with Jessica Biel, who is a widow with a young son. Or seems to be. Then she gets blitzed with the babysitter and instead of fingering each other like normal sexy women, she reads The Odyssey and passes out. Obviously that's when The Tall Man struck to swipe her child.

She chases the snatcher's van on its way to Kidderminster but ends up being caught and thrown in the back…