• chill007

★★★ Added by chill007

The Tall Man was not the typical horror movie.. I wouldn't even classifi it as horror, more thriller or mystery.

• mia

Watched by mia 20 Jul, 2015

This film was not at all what I expected!

• M Kitchell

★★★★ Watched by M Kitchell 04 Jan, 2014

In considering Laugier's oeuvre, I feel like this film (which, from any ostensible point, seems to be painted as his "mainstream" film) cements the bleak dissatisfaction that runs through his line of thought. I need to revisit this in tangent with Martyrs, as I really think there's something *there* that hasn't been mentioned.

• FakeRobHunter

★★★½ Rewatched by FakeRobHunter 08 Jun, 2015

I know all you hate this one, but I'm a fan. It opens with some legit scares and atmosphere before pulling an unexpected turn and shifting our allegiances. It's handled smartly, and Biel does great work with the lead character. The third act is guaranteed to be even more divisive among viewers, but again, I think it tackles its ideas with intelligence and an intriguing final few minutes.

• John Robinson

★★★½ Added by John Robinson

Surprisingly good, if pretty bleak.

• Erik Stolpmann

★★ Watched by Erik Stolpmann 23 May, 2015

The film tries to stand too tall for its own good and falls on a narrative that could have been powerful.

• Ricky Lee Everett

★★★½ Watched by Ricky Lee Everett 26 Apr, 2015

Foreign language director does Hollywood Horror with a twist; one twist too many? Moral question strikes a chord? Yes and No can be levelled at both these questions, but nevertheless there's a bold and strong central performance from Jessica Biel that won me over.

• Luke Pauli

★★★★ Watched by Luke Pauli 12 Apr, 2015

As I watched Pascal Laugier's follow up to Martyrs, it's fair to say I was enjoying it but with a wry eye. I felt like I'd seen this movie before, small town besieged by boogeyman etc etc, rinse repeat. But then it completely flips upon itself about a third of the way though and the film careens off in unexpected directions. To say too much would be to ruin the surprises this film holds. So my advice would be to…

• Chris

★★★ Added by Chris

This is a film about the strange disappearances of kids with Jessica Biel, who is a widow with a young son. Or seems to be. Then she gets blitzed with the babysitter and instead of fingering each other like normal sexy women, she reads The Odyssey and passes out. Obviously that's when The Tall Man struck to swipe her child.

She chases the snatcher's van on its way to Kidderminster but ends up being caught and thrown in the back…

• RickyHaze

★★★½ Added by RickyHaze

An original and interesting premise with horror elements although not completely a horror film. It's also not anything you expect, its both disappointing and surprising in that aspect. I enjoyed this as it unraveled though, a few unique twists keep it unpredictable.

• Darren Fx

Watched by Darren Fx 21 Mar, 2015 1

"The system is broken, it doesn't work."

I did not like The Tall Man, it was bland and had a regurgitated storyline.

The twist at the end of the film was not good.

Hopefully Pascal Laugier's "Martyrs" is a better film than The Tall Man.

• richdanderson

★★★ Watched by richdanderson 16 Mar, 2015

Big fan of 'Martyrs' so I feel sheepish that I somehow missed this. It is definitely worth seeing, despite some of the iffy dialogue and horror cliches in the beginning. There are a few too many things-happen-in-the-movie-because-it's-a-movie (oh, here's a fallen tree on the highway complicating an already complicated high stakes fight in a moving van sequence).

Lots of reviews mention the big twist and it is a good one. Anyone who knows 'Martyrs' should anticipate it,but I - happily-…