• Erik Stolpmann

★★ Watched by Erik Stolpmann 23 May, 2015

The film tries to stand too tall for its own good and falls on a narrative that could have been powerful.

• Ricky Lee Everett

★★★½ Watched by Ricky Lee Everett 26 Apr, 2015

Foreign language director does Hollywood Horror with a twist; one twist too many? Moral question strikes a chord? Yes and No can be levelled at both these questions, but nevertheless there's a bold and strong central performance from Jessica Biel that won me over.

• Luke Pauli

★★★★ Watched by Luke Pauli 12 Apr, 2015

As I watched Pascal Laugier's follow up to Martyrs, it's fair to say I was enjoying it but with a wry eye. I felt like I'd seen this movie before, small town besieged by boogeyman etc etc, rinse repeat. But then it completely flips upon itself about a third of the way though and the film careens off in unexpected directions. To say too much would be to ruin the surprises this film holds. So my advice would be to…

• Chris

★★★ Added by Chris

This is a film about the strange disappearances of kids with Jessica Biel, who is a widow with a young son. Or seems to be. Then she gets blitzed with the babysitter and instead of fingering each other like normal sexy women, she reads The Odyssey and passes out. Obviously that's when The Tall Man struck to swipe her child.

She chases the snatcher's van on its way to Kidderminster but ends up being caught and thrown in the back…

• RickyHaze

★★★½ Added by RickyHaze

An original and interesting premise with horror elements although not completely a horror film. It's also not anything you expect, its both disappointing and surprising in that aspect. I enjoyed this as it unraveled though, a few unique twists keep it unpredictable.

• Darren Fx

Watched by Darren Fx 21 Mar, 2015 1

"The system is broken, it doesn't work."

I did not like The Tall Man, it was bland and had a regurgitated storyline.

The twist at the end of the film was not good.

Hopefully Pascal Laugier's "Martyrs" is a better film than The Tall Man.

• richdanderson

★★★ Watched by richdanderson 16 Mar, 2015

Big fan of 'Martyrs' so I feel sheepish that I somehow missed this. It is definitely worth seeing, despite some of the iffy dialogue and horror cliches in the beginning. There are a few too many things-happen-in-the-movie-because-it's-a-movie (oh, here's a fallen tree on the highway complicating an already complicated high stakes fight in a moving van sequence).

Lots of reviews mention the big twist and it is a good one. Anyone who knows 'Martyrs' should anticipate it,but I - happily-…

• Andrée

★★½ Watched by Andrée 06 Mar, 2015

Kids are going missing in the small town of Cold Rock. No one knows what happens to them, but everyone suspects it's someone called "The Tall Man".

This movie deliberately tries to mislead the audience several times, and it's in this deliberate manipulation that they lost me. There was a point where I was thinking this movie might turn out to be a very clever and twisted film, but then the twists kept coming, and the over-explaining of certain things…

• Derek Diercksmeier

★★★★½ Watched by Derek Diercksmeier 22 Feb, 2015

OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD

Shockingly terrific. Jessica Biel is amazing. Though-provoking and filled with exhilarating twists. Absolutely riveting.

And I was moved to tears. Twice.

GOD I LOVE THIS MOVIE

• Jordi Sánchez-Navarro

★★½ Watched by Jordi Sánchez-Navarro 21 Feb, 2015

Aprovecho un pase en televisión para recuperarla, puesto que no la vi ni en su estreno oficial ni cuando pasó por Sitges, donde fue recibida, al menos entre mis conocidos, con división de opiniones. Me gusta su premisa 'Supernatural' o 'Expediente X' —misterio "folklórico" en una zona rural paupérrima—, pero el conflicto entre el tono grave del relato y lo absurdo de la historia es demasiado escandaloso para mi gusto.

• Eric Riley

Added by Eric Riley

Awful. Don't bother. Supernatural did a better "thin man" rip off than this garbage.

• Caroline S.

Watched by Caroline S. 22 Jan, 2015

Right, so I'm a huge wimp who reads the entire plots of horror movies before watching them so I don't get too scared. That being said, I read the plot of this film months before I actually sat down to watch it. As a result, the "twist" I thought was the ending actually happened less than halfway through the film, leaving me wondering how it would end. I guess there's kind of a semi-"twist" at the conclusion, but it didn't…