• anewchallenger

★★½ Watched by anewchallenger 15 Sep, 2014

Sometimes I liked this, as I got more than what I was expecting. But the delivery of that something more was sort of sloppily handled and ambiguous.

So I don't know, I liked this? I'm better off for watching this, right? Right? Right?

• Hollie Horror

½ Watched by Hollie Horror 13 Sep, 2014 3

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

• Peter Pluymers

Watched by Peter Pluymers 11 Jan, 2014

The system is broken, it doesn't work.

What a mediocre story ! If you assume that you're going to get some horror then you'll be quite disappointed. The beginning had a little presumption that it goes in that direction. Eventually, we end up in the middle of a story where a moralistic and child-friendly organizations main objective is to improve the world. I saw on IMDb that this film got as labeling the genres crime, drama and mystery . I…

• Liam Hathaway

★½ Added by Liam Hathaway

There are some incredibly creepy individual moments in The Tall Man, but what the hell happened to the narrative. I expected much, much more from the director of Martyrs.

• Curtis

★★★★ Watched by Curtis 04 May, 2013

Considering this movie was almost universally trashed because of it’s apparently misleading trailer (which I never saw), I thoroughly enjoyed the playful (and frequent) plot twists.

• peterw5

★★★★ Added by peterw5

You know how they say the road to hell is paved with good intentions?

• Erix Antoine

★★ Watched by Erix Antoine 06 Aug, 2014

Much like Pascal Laugier's own Martyrs, this is a serpentine film with a narrative that piles twist upon twist, leading to a final revelation.

Unlike Martyrs, though, the twists aren't really all that interesting. And there are a good 40-odd minutes to go by the time you've pretty much figured out the end game and are waiting for the movie to catch up with your conclusions.

On the plus side, this is an atmospheric film. And it does seem to…

• Tommy Mendoza

½ Watched by Tommy Mendoza 03 Aug, 2014

Utter rubbish. I had such high expectations for this, and had been meaning to watch it for so long, but now that I finally did, all I wish is I could turn back time and unsee it.
    It started out promising, but it soon became forced and all the events seemed unlikely to happen. That big twist that tried to touch on the social aspect wasn't convincing, and the movie just finally went full south from there; I mean, all…

• Mary R.

★½ Added by Mary R.

Don't try to rip off Slender Man and give up halfway through. There were probably two legitimately creepy parts, but the rest was laughable. And the ending was so forced I couldn't have traced it back if I tried.

• MovieGenius

★★★★½ Rewatched by MovieGenius 01 Aug, 2014

A full cinema experience.

Draining & exhausting in the best way, like a fight training session in which you & your sparring partners focus on partially blocking a series of body shots & leg kicks and then when you all are done you alone have to Lysol-wipe & roll up the mats and carry them into the storage closet by yourself and then you bicycle home but you have to go the long way to your neighborhood because a city water main under UCLA…

• David Owen

★★★ Watched by David Owen 01 Aug, 2014

Yes there is some silliness but all in all I was engaged and enjoyed the ride.

• Treble

Watched by Treble 01 Aug, 2014

I’m sure the high concept pitch sounded great: spooky psychodrama with social realism undertones. In practice it’s 105 minutes of complete meh.

There are a wide variety of reactions – on Letterboxd and elsewhere – to the plot, its twists and turns and Jessica Biel’s performance, but few people mention how inept it is at a fundamental, directorial level.

This is my first Pascal Laugier film and it makes me wonder how he got such a high-profile gig, to be…