• Cory De Silva

★★★★½ Watched by Cory De Silva 22 Nov, 2015

Holy crap.

• Zach Betonte

Watched by Zach Betonte 15 Oct, 2015

Apart from the social politics getting lost in translation from France to the United States, Laugier fails to ever establish an enduring environment. The production design is ever changing in its perspective, at times rendering "Crewdson-esque", backwoods imagery where the staging reaches surrealist heights but is immediately negated by banal realism. None of these aesthetics are motivated by any changing perspective. If Biel's character is our protagonist, why don't we see the film through her eyes even for a glimpse? Her dubious intentions would seem far less silly if Laugier attempted to hint at her self-righteousness, which is never given the opportunity to permeate.

• Ron Hogan Jr.

★½ Watched by Ron Hogan Jr. 01 Nov, 2015

• Nick

★★½ Watched by Nick 01 Nov, 2015

this brand of deceptive thriller is one I find myself cautiously fascinated by, mostly on account of their outright refusal to provide one stationary protagonist as a point of reference for the surrounding events of the film, leaving the audience empty-handed and forcing them to stay engaged. it’s a rather genius technique that this seems to have down for its first two thirds, which is why it’s a little baffling that this would choose to rely on silly monster mythologies for its marketing and, perhaps most deceptive of all, finish by exhorting a flawed and convoluted eye-roller of a social commentary.

• Trash Cinema

★★½ Watched by Trash Cinema 27 Oct, 2015

I dont really like the twists on this one. I mean the one in the middle is very good but everything else seems way too forced and I dont see a point in the end of the story. One thing is certain...the good USA is full of idiot maniacs. Also Mrs. Biel could show some flesh, like tits and ass would be very much appreciated!

• chrisnain

★★★ Watched by chrisnain 09 Oct, 2015

Der Film zieht sich am Anfang ziemlich hin aber überrascht dann mit einigen unerwarteten Twists. Über die "Botschaft" des Films kann man sich streiten.

• Matt

★½ Watched by Matt 03 Oct, 2015

I liked the twist, then it twisted again.

• Han Solo

★★★★ Watched by Han Solo 03 Oct, 2015

I wasn't expecting this at all. Well shot and well acted. Was very impressed with Jessica Biel in this.

Shocktober V

• Freddie Young

★★★½ Watched by Freddie Young 24 Sep, 2015

THE TALL MAN is a film you end up going into one way, exiting the total opposite way wondering how you got it so wrong. While not perfect due to twists that seem to bog down the story more than they do to explain it, Pascal Laugier's script is at least ambitious and intriguing enough to see where it all ends up. Laugier's direction is also extremely solid, giving the film a bleak, cold atmosphere. And the acting, especially by…

• Alex Aloise

★★ Added by Alex Aloise

A Review Haiku

Dear Mr. Tallman
    Stop taking all the children
    Just bring sexy back

• tobe_whooper

★★★ Watched by tobe_whooper 22 Sep, 2015

This could have been a really good movie if it were better executed. The core concept is intriguing and the story is well told. Sadly, it promises thrills it never delivers, the acting is hit and miss, and the dialogue and character actions are pretty implausible. It redeems itself with a pretty great ending though.

Cf. Winter's Bone

• Paul Scott

Watched by Paul Scott 21 Sep, 2015

Boring flick with a pale skinned Jessica Biel. Not much in the way of horror and has a plot I don't necessarily care to learn.