• Caroline S.

Watched by Caroline S. 22 Jan, 2015

Right, so I'm a huge wimp who reads the entire plots of horror movies before watching them so I don't get too scared. That being said, I read the plot of this film months before I actually sat down to watch it. As a result, the "twist" I thought was the ending actually happened less than halfway through the film, leaving me wondering how it would end. I guess there's kind of a semi-"twist" at the conclusion, but it didn't…

• Adrian Zachow

★★½ Added by Adrian Zachow

A weird, ultimately less than satisfying mix of approaches, starting out as a bog standard horror thriller, gradually developing into a procedural - all while convoluted plotting worked overtime to generate intrigue about who or what was behind the abduction of children from a small town in the state of Washington. Confusing, with an end that will leave you reeling - but not horror in the strictest genre sense.

• bree1981

★★★ Watched by bree1981 19 Jan, 2015

Strange film to pin down from the director of French film Martyrs, Pascal Laugier. Although the film has elements of a horror and it starts out as a bit of a dark fairytale i would probably classify it as more of a mystery/drama which is full of suspense and has a few twists and turns in its tail. This is also the type of film where the less you know going in the better as it kept me guessing where…

• dr_exploitation

★★ Watched by dr_exploitation 08 Mar, 2013

33º Fantasporto
    25 de Fevereiro a 10 de Março 2013
    Rivoli Grande Auditório

• Gaz Elliott

★★½ Watched by Gaz Elliott 09 Jan, 2015

Pascal Laugier's follow up to the fantastic 'Martyrs' (2008).
    Chalk & cheese I'm afraid.
    The first act to the film drove a sense of drama & mystery, upon which the rest of the film struggled to deliver.
    All the parts were there, there dreary, mysterious town folk of a failed mining town, the legend of The Tall Man who would allegedly steal the town folk's children...but then the film lost itself in a number of plot twists & turns that initially keep your…

• Jacob HB

★½ Watched by Jacob HB 10 Jan, 2015

Jessica Biel gives an incredibly committed performance (read: reasonable) in this drama/thriller (not horror as it is made out) that gets more ludicrous with every minute past the forty minute mark.

• Zac Holbrook

Watched by Zac Holbrook 08 Jan, 2015

One star for creativity maybe? I don't even know. I have a headache now.

It feels like someone found this script in the trash behind the Lifetime Movie Network offices, went home and read it, fell asleep and had some kind of disjointed nightmare about it, and then decided to film what they could remember of the nightmare.

• Jordan

★★½ Watched by Jordan 28 Dec, 2014

The Tall Man isn't as thought-provoking or original as "Martyrs", however it's still an interesting and enjoyable. It has the feel of a Made-for-TV-Movie due to the very low-budget production value, decent to mediocre acting and the recycled stock "Intense sound effects" used repeatedly throughout. I can see why people would hate it because it's not what you'd expect from the synopsis and poster, but it's a thriller with an interesting twist and decent performance from Jessica Biel.

• TheCincyKid

★★★★ Added by TheCincyKid

Like Pascal Laugier's prior shocker Martyrs, but far more stomachable, The Tall Man is offbeat, challenging, and resistant to genre expectations. True to the talented director's gear-shifting technique, the movie begins with the suggestion of possible supernatural elements yet is firmly entrenched in the real world by the final cut to black. Until then, this much underappreciated little thriller mangles our alliances and pleases the common fan's sense of style in virtually even portions. For all its tension, its real horror springs from the difficult moral dilemmas that it indicates, and leaves us to resolve for ourselves in the dark of the rolling credits.

• Laris

Watched by Laris 10 Dec, 2014

Thinking about this movie and its twists leaves me completely inarticulate. No idea how to describe it or rate it.

• Chad Snider

★½ Watched by Chad Snider 02 Dec, 2014

Huge mess of a movie.

• Mr. Zero

★★½ Watched by Mr. Zero 11 Nov, 2014

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.