• kaztunk

★★★½

I didn't have high hopes for this one. It's an unnecessary prequel to one of my favorite films, which eschews the brilliant practical fx of the original in favor of modern CG. And it has the balls to just call itself THE THING.

But you know what? I didn't hate it! "The Thing" is still super unsettling, and has a few new tricks up its sleeve this time. The mostly foreign cast is solid. (Kinda wish they'd just done the…

• Sean Mesler

★★½

When I first viewed 2011's prequel/remake of John Carpenter's The Thing, I had very low expectations and came away pleasantly surprised. I wasn't blown away by it but found to be a solid, if not memorable attempt. Upon this second viewing, with my expectations in check, I was just bored.

The movie is never thrilling or scary and it isn't helped at all by flat performances and truly awful CGI. It's not a bad movie, but it's an aggressively mediocre one. The best part of the movie is the last five or so minutes which lead directly into the 1982 classic.

Ho-hum.

• Diz Hooper

This doesn't live up to the legacy of the original movie. First of all, the characters are all pretty bland, so you don't really care what happens to them. Perhaps having a wider range of characters would help them stand out a bit more. Second, the CGI creature effects are not as interesting as the practical effects in the original.

• chesneylittle

★★★½

Schickes Remake eines Klassikers mit richtiger Gruselgarantie. Erwartet hatte ich ja einen schwachen Abklatsch, bekommen habe ich dann einen echt markerschütternden Sci-Fi-Schocker vom allerfeinsten, der mir sogar noch etwas rabiater vorkam als das damals indizierte Original. Außerdem ist der Action und Scare-Anteil ein ganzes Stück nach oben geschraubt worden. Effekttechnisch auf dem Stand seiner Zeit ist hier eine gute Neuauflage entstanden, !!SPOILER!! die sich als Prequel entpuppt und somit im eigentlichen Sinne gar kein Remake ist. !!SPOILER ENDE!! Einzig die ständigen Untertitel nerven etwas, schaden dem guten Gesamteindruck aber nur marginal.

• SPIDERGEEK 🕷

The first time I watched this movie I didn't think it was so bad! However second time around it failed to hold my attention after the first 45 mins. I understand what this movie was trying to do and for the most part it's an ok watch! However it falls very short of what it was actually trying to achieve!
    There isn't really any tension or real feeling of threat... and WAY to much CGI. It basically fails to capture any of the magic it's predecessor achieved over 30 years ago.

• David Koslowski

"burn it!"

• RonnieGardocki

★½

This furthered my appreciation of John Carpenter's one, because if nothing else, this shit showed me that not everyone can make 1982's The Thing or even a reasonable facsimile.

The only reason to watch this limp remake/prequel is if you can't watch Carpenter's, The Thing From Another World, the "Ice" episode of X-Files or the multiple episodes of Red Dwarf that are inspired by The Thing.

Oh, and the special effects are terrible. According to the Internet they originally went with animatronics. Maybe they should've stuck with those.

• Artomiix

whatever.

• Jakke

★★½

I've absolutely no clue why people still think CGI and the horror genre is a good combo.

It stays a very unnecessary but fun movie to watch.

Or maybe the reason that I liked it, is that I'm secretly in love with Mary Elizabeth Winstead.

• Anthony Gileno

2.5 / 5

• BreizhAsh

★★½

Pointless remake of a great remake.

• varabi

Rozczarowanie. Obejrzeć można, ale w porównaniu do filmu Carpentera wypada bardzo słabo. Głupie dialogi, marna gra aktorska, zero klimatu i słabe wykonanie stwora :/