• Mareks Smilga

★★★½ Watched by Mareks Smilga 31 Oct, 2011

Lai ko arī daudzi neteiktu, es jauno Radījums versiju izbaudīju kā labu šausmu kino.

• alalchemical

★★★ Watched by alalchemical 23 Mar, 2015

While the 1982 version did shock me, this prequel was just fun to watch and it is not that bad.

• Gimly

★★ Added by Gimly

2011's The Thing is a misleadingly named prequel to John Carpenter's horror film of the same name (which was itself a remake of the 1951 film "The Thing from Another World" by Christian Nyby [Which was itself a film adaptation of the book "Who Goes There" by John W. Campbell]).

I seem to have a natural predisposition to favouring any horror film set in the snow. I also dig Norwegian culture, so forgive my minor bias in those areas. Other…

• StewieP

★★½ Watched by StewieP 07 Mar, 2015

Not horrible, but nowhere near as good as the guys in the commentary make it out to be. They dropped the ball by going with CGI.

I liked the ending, though, and how it ties in with Carpenter's Thing.

• Sammy Waisanen

★★★ Watched by Sammy Waisanen 28 Feb, 2015

it's not THAT bad..

• Zac Holbrook

Watched by Zac Holbrook 25 Feb, 2015

I really am not a big hater of remakes, but through most of this, I felt like I was watching an SNL parody of The Thing (mainly any scene involving the MacReady rip-off character, you'll know him when you see him).

And fuck CGI. Fuck it all to hell.

I hate this movie. I just hate it.

• pillole di cinema

★★★ Watched by pillole di cinema 19 Feb, 2015

L'inutile prequel de #Lacosa gioca sul facile e almeno non sfigura. Ma ha troppi limiti e il suo rapporto con l'originale è codardo e beota.

• David Steinlicht

★★ Added by David Steinlicht

Too bad about this one. The effects scream CGI. And that may have been the wrong way to go.

• Lyndell Clark

★★★½ Rewatched by Lyndell Clark 13 Feb, 2015

I don't hate this one like many do. I actually liked it but it definitely has some issues. One thing is it's not always sure if it wants to be a prequel or a remake. The parts that make it a prequel I enjoy. Then they have scenes that are too close to the original. Obviously the cgi isn't as good as the great effects of the original. The climax is also not great on the ship. The very end connecting it t the original is great though.

• Gordo

★★½ Watched by Gordo 12 Feb, 2013

Well, I didn't completely hate this, which was shocking to me considering Carpenter's version is one of my favorite movies of all time. They ruined everything about the creature (its desire to stay hidden and anonymous) and a lot of the plot points were stupid but you could kinda tell that there probably was a decent movie in there before the studio fucked it all up. Definitely a failure, but it was still kinda nice just to be back in the neighborhood. Thought Winstead did a pretty good job with what she had to work with.

• Ashley Norris

★★★ Watched by Ashley Norris 27 Jan, 2015

It turns into a standard monster flick that's held back, because John Carpenter's The Thing is a straight up masterpiece.

• Sitheis

★★★ Watched by Sitheis 10 Feb, 2015

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

Ehh, the people were annoying and the ending was probably the best part but they kinda copy the first movie in the end but in an alright way and the effects were shit. Was sorta spooked, 7/10 spook i'd say. Some stuff is supposed to be unanswered even though this movie brings up more questions like Why didnt the stupid bitch who lived tell anybody about it, maybe i would need to know the timeline. Or why there were 2…