• ObscureCinema1

★★★★ Watched by ObscureCinema1 21 Dec, 2014

Wow…color me impressed. I remember avoiding this movie like the plague when it first came out, since a remake of The Thing seemed redundant and a prequel to The Thing seemed outright stupid (part of the fun of the original is how they explain what happened to the old team of scientists by showing what happens to the new team). On top of that, the trailers displayed some horrible CGI, which finalized my decision to shun this movie. But after…

• FilmAddict

★★★ Rewatched by FilmAddict 17 Dec, 2014

Boring as a remake and not much new stuff for a prequel. But great practical (albeit CGI-enhanced) makeup effects.

• joelhwa

★½ Watched by joelhwa 28 Feb, 2012

3/10: Poor prequel to John Carpenter's The Thing (1982). This film is portrayed as a slasher flick, with too many shots of the monster therefore renders the movie ineffective to create mystery and suspense, lacking the "Man vs. Man" element. The best part of the movie is the ending where it set up nicely for the 1982 version.

• Ria

Rewatched by Ria 30 Nov, 2014

"John Carpenter's The Thing for Dummies" in movie form.

• Corey MacDonald

★½ Watched by Corey MacDonald 29 Nov, 2014

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

• JOKain II

★★★ Watched by JOKain II 16 Nov, 2014

You can't judge it in comparison to Carpenter's because it's not a remake. It's trying to tell another part of the story, and kudos for not trying to tell it in the same fashion. This movie goes more for the action/horror angle instead of the mystery/terror angle of Carpenter's, but still has the same core premise. It's not great, but it's good, and you can tell there was passion for the material there.

• Phil

★★★ Added by Phil

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

• Andy Summers

★★★★ Rewatched by Andy Summers 16 Nov, 2014 1

John Carpenter's 1982 cult classic, The Thing, is rightly regarded as just that, a cult classic. When Dutch filmmaker Matthijs van Heijningen talked of a remake, the wagons were circling. This film however is not a remake, but a prequel, and it's rather good.
    This may have did little at the box office, but whether it was bad marketing or simply apathy towards yet another "re-imagining", this deserved to be seen by a bigger audience. The story begins in the…

• jacker

★★ Watched by jacker 10 Oct, 2014

[...] eigentlich beantwortet diese neuere Version des Stoffes einzig Fragen, die überhaupt niemand gestellt hat! Die Bilder, sowie die Atmosphäre, die John Carpenter uns in seinem Film von vor 30 Jahren servierte, reichten vollkommen aus, um wahrscheinlich selbst die Phantasie des tumbsten Zuschauers zu einer vagen Vorstellung des Vorangegangenen anzuregen. Muss man da noch vorkauen, was in der Phantasie viel effektiver wirkte? Warum muss man heute überhaupt alles aussprechen? Ungewissheit ist doch gerade die Stärke des Horrors – ein Leitmotiv was viele in-your-face Inszenierungen heute leider vergessen haben. [...]

Ganzer Text: jackers2cents.de/?p=603

• Adrian Zachow

★★★ Watched by Adrian Zachow 28 Dec, 2011

Competently made prequel to the 1982 flick of the same name, updates the identical concept (alien found by scientists in Antarctic mission adopts the shapes of those it kills) with slick production values and some excellent, very yucky monster effects by Alec Gillis. The isolation card is not played as effectively as one would have hoped, but still there is some fine suspense to be had, making it a somewhat above average addition to an otherwise tired genre.

• Parker

★★ Rewatched by Parker 10 Nov, 2014 8

I'd prefer NoThing to this "Thing."

• oobawa

★½ Rewatched by oobawa 07 Nov, 2014

After watching director Matthijs van Heijningen’s 2011 prequel The Thing, I’m finding it incredibly hard not to write the following five word review and then go on about my day: “Fuck it. Watch the original.”

But, because of my possibly OCD-related need to document every movie I watch in a determinedly TL;DNR format, I can’t simply leave The Thing be. This movie irks me, not with a World War Z-level of unmitigated hatred, but more along the lines of, Damn…