• Daph Bajas

Watched by Daph Bajas 25 Aug, 2014

I admire the stark references and the balance in which it assures us of the layered sexes. But I cringe on buying too much on the original, like van Sant without care. D+

• footbalhuck

★★½ Added by footbalhuck

Ok I don't hate this film, I can't really as it trys to give us more of the same. Its just the 82 version gave us something original and this is just a retread of what's gone before.

The characters don't hit home this time which is a real strong point of carpenter's version and the effects arrmt as horrific. 30 years later and this surely isn't the best they could do.

• Gonçalo

Watched by Gonçalo 17 Aug, 2014

It's hard to be interested in the characters of the film when there's no really any character development.
    A poor remake of a classic horror film.

• masuyo

Added by masuyo

Teljes rezignáltság. A 82-es verzió jobban magába szippantott.

• MatthewLB

★½ Watched by MatthewLB 11 Aug, 2014

A prequel to the 1982 films of the same name: A research team in the Antarctic comes across an alien spacecraft leading to a confrontation between the lead scientist and his graduate students on what to do about the discovery. what the hell did I just watch, just a lame prequel to a scary 80's movie like the thing.

• Clay Templeton

★★★ Watched by Clay Templeton 11 Aug, 2014

Despite a well-established cast and good pacing on the front end, this prequel becomes top-heavy, reliant on CG spectacle over nuanced, restrained terror and particularly ham-fisted in the closing moments.

• John Markham

★★½ Watched by John Markham 21 Jun, 2012

A prequel to the 1982 classic of the same name on paper is totally unnecessary and uncalled for. Even now, 30 years after its release, the original film remains a masterpiece of psychological horror storytelling and the creature effects remain miraculously decent despite its age. So this prequel has an awful lot to live up to and it essentially comes off very much like 2010's sequel Predators, a film which captures the spirit of the original classic, but does little…

• moviedave

★★★ Rewatched by moviedave 05 Aug, 2014

No doubt you have all seen the classic 1982 John Carpenter movie 'The Thing' with Kurt Russelj.

an Antarctic exploration camp is infested by a shape changing alien that is systematically killing all the humans in it.

a gripping tour de force movie and classic.

well, the thing 2011 is the story of the Norwegian scientific team that find the spacecraft and thing buried in the ice.

to be frank, this is not a prequel really, but a remake of…

• etc.

½ Watched by etc. 05 Aug, 2014

Shittiest creature design. Shittiest characterization. Shittiest exposition. Shittiest attempts at suspense and tension. Shittiest film based on 'Who Goes There?' to date.

• Fabionei Bakhuizen

★★★½ Watched by Fabionei Bakhuizen 26 Jul, 2014

Received the same name of the other movie,but this is the prequel! It is nice with incredible visual effect, sometimes i miss the animatronic things and those makeups!

• Bob R.

★★★½ Rewatched by Bob R. 12 Jul, 2014

Of course it's not as good as John Carpenter's 1982 masterpiece. How could it be? It's a movie that tells a prequel-story to a film made nearly 30 years earlier. None of the primary cast or crew have returned. Practical special-effects have been supplanted with CGI. The prequel aspect of the narrative shifts the focus from "What's going to happen?" to "How did that thing we already know about specifically happen?" These are each disadvantages that could by themselves derail…

• Ivan Obiol

★★½ Added by Ivan Obiol

Muy difícil lo tenia esta precuela para no acabar despedazada por las comparaciones con la película de Carpenter y así a sido. A pesar de tener innumerables guiños a La cosa de Carpenter no acierta a entender lo que hizo esta película una obra de culto y aunque tiene un comienzo interesante no tarda en convertirse en una especie de Alien en el que no se entiende que un monstruo cuyo su afán es pasar desapercibido se muestre aquí como un cazador implacable y ruidoso que acaba con todo lo que se pone a su alcance.