• Harrison Porter

★★★½ Watched by Harrison Porter 06 Feb, 2016

Good prequel, decent film. It has its flaws but it wraps up some unanswered questions from the first film. Compared to the original the special effects in this film have already aged. The practical effects from the first one are a large reason it's so good.

• Alfonso Teller

★★★ Watched by Alfonso Teller 06 Feb, 2016

Film #4 of the 2016 Awards Season Scavenger Hunt!
    Task #12 Remake
    letterboxd.com/samakerfeldt/list/awards-season-scavenger-hunt-feb-2016-return/

I thought this was a remake. And I was right, for the most part. It's supposed to be a prequel, but come on!, it's the same movie, just add a spaceship and that's it.
    But, as far as a remake goes, this one isn't THAT bad. Sure, the CGI is absolute shit, and some stiff acting every now and then. but Joel Edgerton is a really good actor. And Mary-Elizabeth Winstead is charming, dangerous and beautiful. I'd pay a good fortune just to have her scream to me for an hour.

• Paul Wood

★★★ Rewatched by Paul Wood 02 Feb, 2016

This prequel to the John Carpenter classic reads more like a virtual remake as we follow the story of the Norwegian camp's discovery of a crashed alien spacecraft in the frozen wastes of Antarctica.
    Hitting all the beats of the original in almost the exact same places, makes this feel unnecessary, with the addition of CGI effects only serving to highlight the problems.
    However, Mary Elizabeth Winstead gives a watchable performance and there's a certain amount of pleasure derived from seeing how the filmakers link their events to the original story.
    Not terrible by any means, just slightly aimless.

• samirakhtar

★★★ Watched by samirakhtar 03 Feb, 2016

Not a bad attempt at a remake of John Carpenters 1982 classic. However, it is supposed to be a prequel and I feel like it wastes this opportunity. The new CGI lacks the awe of the original practical effects of Rob Bottin & Stan Winston, which in 1982 were groundbreaking.

• Victor Mazza

★★★½ Watched by Victor Mazza 03 Feb, 2016

Retomando o conceito perfeitamente expresso por John Carpernter em 1982, Matthijs van Heijningen gera um horror razoável, mas que não chega aos pés do original, mesmo que responda algumas perguntas sem resposta que ele tenha deixado após seu término.

Vemos aqui uma paleontóloga numa expedição na Antártica feita por norte-americanos e noruegueses, que encontraram uma estranha criatura enterrada sob o gelo. O que se segue são mortes causadas por esse alien, que pode tomar a forma de qualquer ser vivo,…

• cmasong

★★★★ Rewatched by cmasong 31 Jan, 2016

Fall in love with Mary Elizabeth Winstead and that toothy shape-shifting body snatcher all over again. For once we get to revisit a much-loved story without the need for loused up contrivances thanks to those crazy Swedes...they're Norwegian Mac. This go round I started wondering how Prometheus might have turned out if MEW had played Dr. Elizabeth Shaw, alright maybe she's a bit too on-the-money (you don't think she has a Ripley thing going on?) My only bone to pick…

• Ashley Shannon

★★★½ Added by Ashley Shannon

The Thing is a 2011 adaptation of John W. Campbell's novella Who Goes There? The film also acts as a prequel to the events of 1951's The Thing From Another World and it's remake 1982's The Thing directed by the legendary John Carpenter. This version is Directed by Matthijs van Heijningen Jr. starring Mary Elizabeth Winstead (Scott Pilgrim vs the World, Final Destination 3) and Joel Edgerton (Warrior).

The film follows the events immediately preceding Carpenter's film, in which a…

• Paul Davis

★★★½ Rewatched by Paul Davis 28 Jan, 2016

Of course this is nowhere near the quality of the original, as I'm sure every review will mention, and it does rely too heavily on CGI (although they were using many practical effects on set but just couldn't get them to look good enough), but the creatures are cool enough and the movie is fun.

• Alexander V

★★★ Watched by Alexander V 23 Jan, 2016

Lars: [to Matias] That's not a dog! Start the helicopter now!
    [both get into helicopter] Lars: Get it up now! Come on!

The Thing from 2011 is both an tribute to the 1982 John Carpenter classic as well as a prequel explaining the existence of the dog running into the American camp whilst being followed by the Norwegian helicopter.

I know this film got a bad rep for peole didn't feel it was necessary to do a remake of the…

• Jacob Gehman

★★½ Watched by Jacob Gehman 24 Jan, 2016

The Thing vers. 2011 is not, as the title might suggest, a remake of John Carpenter's 1982 classic film by the same time. It is, however, a prequel. If you just stood up and shouted, "This sounds very unnecessary!" you'd be absolutely right.

It's weird because, while The Thing is certainly critically acclaimed, and is enjoyed by a large percentage of the people who watch it, I know of very few people who were clamoring for the story of what…

• jamiemark

★★★ Added by jamiemark

This film gets a lot of flack, and comparing it to Carpenter's masterpiece is almost unfair. I like it a lot as a prequel story, and have found it has great re-watchability.

• Anton van Beek

★½ Rewatched by Anton van Beek 20 Jan, 2016

A generic creature-feature impersonating one of the greatest films ever made. Utterly pointless.