• John Heaney

★★ Watched by John Heaney 26 Oct, 2016

Part of Spooktober: John Heaney's Halloween Havoc

As someone who has no fillings, fuck that scene.

Also can I get another movie monster that dies when someone throws a bomb at it/into its mouth? I don't think that's ever been done before.

• Richard Goddard

★★ Watched by Richard Goddard 24 Oct, 2016

• Ben Lane

★★½ Watched by Ben Lane 24 Oct, 2016 1

First thing to note about this is that it genuinely surprised me. I do not think it is good enough to warrant a positive review, but this thing sure is competent. It's well-made for the most part and it's well-acted (even though most of the supporting characters aren't fleshed out at all).

That being said, this movie is a remake masquerading as a prequel. The events do take place directly before those of John Carpenter's classic, but that isn't to…

• archf

★★★ Watched by archf 24 Oct, 2016

Not everything lines up perfectly, but they wanted to tell a story that lines up with the story we told in our heads from the first 30 minutes of John Carpenter's classic. That's fine. The story's OK, and there's a great cast: Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Joel Edgerton, Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje (greatest character actor of our time, though admittedly I had to copy-paste his name). Only thing that was missing was an atmosphere.

I have the patience of a rock. I can…

• P_WM

★★ Added by P_WM

Clearly hampered by John Carpenter's 1982 interpretation, The Thing sadly isn't too special on its own terms either.

The visual effects are largely uninteresting and well overplayed; the cinematography is totally uninspired (a messy smear of anamorphic lens flare and constant rotation around characters while they just say hello to each other); and the story, which is at its most interesting when the monster is unseen and the characters are overcome by paranoia and confusion, skips past these moments to…

• Mariej97

★★★ Watched by Mariej97 19 Oct, 2016

No es lo mejor que he visto y más por la presión que debio ser el hacer la precuela de una de las películas de Carpenter. Los efectos estuvieron geniales pero hay ciertas fallas en el argumento y en la forma en la que debió envolverse el misterio.

• Renato Mayr

★½ Watched by Renato Mayr 23 Oct, 2016

The polar landscape is haunting, as well as the shadowy figure imprisioned in it's craddle of ice. But just like it's monster, it takes little time for the movie to show it's intentions and priorities, none of which contribute to a good horror film, specially one that promisses to tell the unknown story of the original "The Thing", the greatest monster movie of all time.
    Some tales should remain unspoken, some visions unseen; and some things should remain unknown.

• Maki

★★★ Rewatched by Maki 19 Oct, 2016 3

I'd almost have preferred if this sucked all the way through instead of showing occasional flashes of a great movie. I appreciate that they dedicated so much time and effort to making things work with the original logistically, I just wish they had understood the spirit of the original. Not everyone was possessed, and we didn't see it every time it happened. The monster doesn't just pop out of somebody for the sake of popping out and giving an FX…

• Dirk Senger

★★★½ Added by Dirk Senger

Atmosphärisches Prequel zu Carpenters Klassiker, der das Rad zwar nicht neu erfindet, aber zumindest für Fans unterhaltsames Beiwerk bietet.

• JonesingForFilm

★★★½ Rewatched by JonesingForFilm 18 Oct, 2016

Doesn't hold a candle to Carpenter's original film, but does have enough merit to hold its own.

The CGI is a bit distracting but only because the original's puppetry is the  quintessential practical effect.

One thing I don't give enough credit to when reviewing movies is sound design. The sounds the creatures make here are truly horrific and mildly make up for the CGI.

The acting is fine and everyone does a good job conveying the sense of dread and…

• Kerry Rae Creasy

★★½ Watched by Kerry Rae Creasy 18 Oct, 2016

Kate and Carter me on the edge of my seat with the "Will they? Won't they?" of it all. Let's just say, the ending is really hot.

• Ronin

★★★½ Rewatched by Ronin 18 Oct, 2016

"Any of us could be the thing."