• Gavin Bard

★★★ Watched by Gavin Bard 20 May, 2016

"I never believed in this shit."

In The Thing, everything that happened in The Thing happens pretty much the same way but more bland and less suspenseful. It's a prequel of an untouchable classic that was a remake of an adaptation of a book so it immediately has no chance of surpassing the original or doing anything wholly unique. Grading on a scale though, it really isn't awful.

Not to say The Thing is all that good either. It's very…

• jamiemark

★★★ Added by jamiemark

Repeated viewings have changed my opinions of this one.

• Sal

★★★★ Watched by Sal 17 May, 2016

Legitimately terrifying horror flick, most importantly Mary Elizabeth Winstead in the snow is still adorable.

• harpseal2

★★★ Watched by harpseal2 16 May, 2016

Not nearly as bad as I expected, but not nearly as good as the original.

Pros
    + Soundtrack
    + Ending linking into original
    + Good actors
    + Attempts to recreate the atmosphere but create it's own along the way
    + Well-shot
    + High production value

Cons
    - Despite the actors trying, the plot forgot most of them along the way
    - Jump scares galore
    - The Thing is revealed too fast and kills off everyone too quickly
    - Cast is…

• Aaron

★★★ Watched by Aaron 15 May, 2016

I really only had interest in seeing this quasi-remake/prequel because I finally found out it starred the burgeoning scifi warrior queen Mary Elizabeth Winstead (y'all already know I'm a sucker for strong women). All other impressions I had of the film were that it was a watered down remake of Carpenter's original (which is true); however, I do think it was underestimated at its release.

The CGI is, unfortunately, not the only issue in this 2011 take. In fact, at…

• Mick Brooks

★★★½ Rewatched by Mick Brooks 13 May, 2016

Rewatch cos I couldn't watch JCs AGAIN! Not as good as I remembered, but I wasn't paying too much attention.

• Kate

★★★★ Watched by Kate 11 May, 2016

MEW had my name in this!!!!!!!!!

Also I love how Joel Edgerton's gay earring turned out to be a plot point.

• Dirk Massey

★★ Watched by Dirk Massey 10 May, 2016

Nearly as good as as the 1982 John Carpenter version apart from the following couple of points

1) the shite CGI effects
    2) the lack of paranoia, fear,
    3) soundtrack
    4)everything else

Complete parcel of shite!

• bbacharach

★★★ Watched by bbacharach 03 May, 2016

Prefer the Carpenter version more. This one is almost a remake of it even though its supposed to be a prequel. The monster special effects in this one were lots fun.

• Christopher Haskell

★★★ Watched by Christopher Haskell 09 Jun, 2011

For being billed as a trip to CG City, The Thing (2011), a prequel to the original, actually uses CG for good instead of evil. Normally CG tends to take away from the film, yet with The Thing, the CG actually adds to the story in a positive way and stays fairly steady throughout. With more gore than scares, the horror side of the film falls off slightly, but overall, this remake/prequel adds nicely to the original film.

• _legendary_

★★½ Added by _legendary_

This is essentially a remake of Carpenters movie masquerading as a prequel in many ways like The Force Awakens was a remake of A New Hope masquerading as a sequel. It hit many of the same beats & was almost identical in plot but unlike Force Awakens, offered little in character or originality. There's nobody here with the presence that Kurt Russell had in the Carpenter movie... while I thought Mary Elisabeth Winstead did an alright acting job, she doesn't really…

• Capra_cinefila

★½ Added by Capra_cinefila

Matthijs van Heijningen Jr. dirige questo impalpabile prequel che segue in realtà abbastanza furbescamente gli accadimenti del film carpenteriano senza tra l'altro minimamente ricrearne l'indispensabile tensione paranoica. Tra le file di un cast abbastanza anonimo troviamo la tanto bella quanto fuori luogo Mary Elizabeth Winstead. All'animatronica qui si aggiungono imbarazzanti effetti moderni da videogames, irreali, irrimediabilmente posticci, assolutamente incapaci di coinvolgere o scuotere i sensi.