• Ross McRae

★★★ Rewatched by Ross McRae 30 Sep, 2016

Film#14 of Hoop-tober 3

People spend too long trying to categorize this movie, is it a prequel or a remake? A stupid task as it's clearly a prequel. The often touted grievance is 'It's not as good a John Carpenter's version', which would be fair if it WAS a remake, but as it's a prequel, one that leads straight into Carpenter's movie, it needs to be similar and different simultaneously. While it has the same aesthetic as JC's movie it…

• S

★★★ Rewatched by S 30 Sep, 2016

Can't hold a candle (flamethrower?) to The Thing (1982).

You can't help but compare the two regardless of its prequel status. Taking the 1982 story, keeping the bones but removing all of the ICONIC scenes, and tacking on a super ott finale doesn't make for a good prequel.

• CinemaClown

★★ Watched by CinemaClown 30 Sep, 2016 1

Taking a leaflet out of one of the segments that John Carpenter's 1982 horror classic of the same name only glanced through and creating an entire feature-length narrative around it by reverse engineering the aforementioned event, The Thing is presented to the viewers as a prequel to its source material yet bears more characteristics of a remake.

Set in 1982, the story of The Thing unfolds at the Norwegian research site in Antarctica and concerns a team of different nationalities…

• WASW

Watched by WASW 29 Sep, 2016

A terrible, ersatz version of The Thing. Replace the original visceral prosthetics and effects with all-too-fake looking CGI, and the charisma of Kurt Russell with the void of character in the actors hired for this and you have the epitome of a completely unnecessary remake.

• dshie24601

★★★½ Watched by dshie24601 24 Sep, 2016

Good film

• Morgan Winther-Queen

½ Added by Morgan Winther-Queen

What a pointless and unoriginal film. I bought this on Blu-ray mistaking it for the original by Carpenter...I guess I should have my eyes checked. Matthijs van Heijningen I can't even pronounce your surname, but dude....stick to commercials because they seem to accurately sum up your repertoire. This is just terrible, not because it was poorly made, but under the principle of bad taste. I can understand if your idea with this was to flatter John Carpenter and say, "Hey, look what I can do!", but...I mean...I'd sooner watch paint dry then suffer through this again.

salt in my eyes.

-MWQ

• GoldriverMTSCBE

★★★ Watched by GoldriverMTSCBE 19 Sep, 2016

This movie comes off as a remake but in reality it is a prequel. As such it should have had a different title. So how is it compared to the original? It's ok. It's not a bad movie that's for sure and it has a few more jump scares than the original. Some of the computer animation is a bit off but for the most part it's convincing.

The biggest flaw of this prequel is that it doesn't do much…

• Christie

★★★½ Watched by Christie 19 Sep, 2016

Fun thriller prequel. Very creepy and it does tie up a few loose ends from the original film.

• Elwood Jones

★★★½ Added by Elwood Jones

John Carpenter’s “The Thing” in my own humble opinion, is without a doubt one of the scariest movies ever made, while released when Carpenter was working at the peak of his directing talent and a loving remake of the equally classic “The Thing From Another World” with Carpenter taking full advantage of the skills of Special effects wizardry of Rob Bottin to bring to life some truly hellish visions, which obviously wasn’t possibly for the original to pull off with…

• jimmyslat

★★★★ Watched by jimmyslat 17 Sep, 2016

Good. Liked the ending.

• Kat 🎃 👻 🕸

★★ Watched by Kat 🎃 👻 🕸 10 Sep, 2016

Mary Elizabeth Winstead was on a rescue mission. Her rather lofty objective was to single-handedly stop this movie from being kind of terrible. And she largely succeeded!

On the whole, The Thing (2011) is kind of a rarity in that its second act is probably the best part of the film. The first act was super clunky and was moving pieces around a bit too noisily, especially when considered in contrast the simplicity of the 1982 version's opening. The third…

• Evildead79

★½ Added by Evildead79

Remake mascherato da prequel questo film.
    Ovviamente se c'è qualcosina che funziona è tutto merito del ricordo del film di Carpenter che inevitalbilmente viene fuori durante la visione.
    Il problema principale è che non si riesce ad empatizzare con i vari personaggi,a me sinceramente non fregava niente di nessuno di loro,nemmeno della bella Winstead.Finale che vorrebbe essere grandioso come quello carpenteriano ma stecca in modo clamoroso.
    Potrebbe piacere se non si è visto il film del 1982 perchè nonostante tutto la struttura paranoica funziona abbastanza bene.