• John Connor

★★ Watched by John Connor 14 Oct, 2011

More action than horror, this version is dumbed down, souped up, and kinda boring. The alien is used for 'Dude, check out those special effects' moments, rather than to create any kind of tension or scares, and the Antarctic setting is pretty much wasted. Basically, the film devolves into being just another mediocre alien invasion movie, a la 'Battle: Los Angeles', or 'Skyline' ... and did we really need another one? It's fine to waste a couple of hours, but it's no better than that.

• fatpie42

★½ Watched by fatpie42 14 Sep, 2012

I have to give the film some credit. The writers manage to find an entirely new way of judging who is a thing and who is still human which is pretty clever (though the final 'twist' if you want to call it that kind of forgets that The Thing seems to be a perfect copy down to memory - which makes this final 'clever' scene yet another disappointment). There is also a fairly tense point towards the middle where, as…

• radiomanhead

★★★ Added by radiomanhead

Aceptable precuela de una obra maestra como lo es "The Thing" inferior en todos sus aspectos a su predecesora (aunque cronológicamente dentro de la linea temporal del filme aquella le siga) pero que aun así me ha resultado aceptable, con sus momentos conseguidos, ademas de algunos acertados guiños a la versión de Carpenter aunque algunos metidos con calzador están hechos para que encajen muy bien con la otra película, de hecho las he visto en orden cronológico y ha sido una muy buena sesión de 212 minutos de "La Cosa".

PD: que extraño ver a Ramona de Scott Pilgrim ahora como toda una cientifico

• mook

★★★ Watched by mook 02 Sep, 2014 4

This is a prequel to John Carpenter's 1982 classic, itself a remake of 1951's 'The Thing from Another World', with all three films based on the 1938 novella "Who Goes There?" by John W. Campbell.

Like many fans I was dubious of this film but it does a good job of accomplishing what it sets out to do, namely showing the events that occur before the opening scenes of John Carpenter's film. It's been a while since I've seen that…

• JimmyP77

★★★ Rewatched by JimmyP77 01 Sep, 2014

Not much to add from the last time I watched it. It's an unnecessary prequel/remake (premake?) which i'm guessing has already been mostly forgotten.

As a big fan of the original (and the original original) I do quite like it though - it could have been a lot worse (found footage?!), MEW is a good wide eyed lead, if a little young, and the Thing is an entertaining occasionally badly CGId fucked up monster.

I guess I just like a crash landed eldritch horror bent on assimilating bearded men in the middle of nowhere.

• Volker Bohlmann

★★★½ Watched by Volker Bohlmann 31 Aug, 2014 3

Dieser Film hat mir richtig spaß gemacht!

Die Story wirkte auf mich solide, die Effekte waren cool und auch wenn Filme dieser Art immer wieder das gleiche Schema haben, wurde mir hier nicht langweilig.

Da ich den Carpenter Film schon lange nicht mehr gesehen habe, musste ich mir sagen lassen, dass dieses Ding hier, direkt in das Carpenter Ding mündet.

Durch diesen Film ist meine Bewertungsskala hinüber. Die
    vier Sterne hat er verdient, nur habe ich auch Filme mit vier Sternen, die ich besser finde. Mal sehen, was ich da machen kann. Für drei ein halb Sterne ist diese hier zu gut!!!

• Daph Bajas

Watched by Daph Bajas 25 Aug, 2014

I admire the stark references and the balance in which it assures us of the layered sexes. But I cringe on buying too much on the original, like van Sant without care. D+

• footbalhuck

★★½ Added by footbalhuck

Ok I don't hate this film, I can't really as it trys to give us more of the same. Its just the 82 version gave us something original and this is just a retread of what's gone before.

The characters don't hit home this time which is a real strong point of carpenter's version and the effects arrmt as horrific. 30 years later and this surely isn't the best they could do.

• Gonçalo

Watched by Gonçalo 17 Aug, 2014

It's hard to be interested in the characters of the film when there's no really any character development.
    A poor remake of a classic horror film.

• masuyo

Added by masuyo

Teljes rezignáltság. A 82-es verzió jobban magába szippantott.

• MatthewLB

★½ Watched by MatthewLB 11 Aug, 2014

A prequel to the 1982 films of the same name: A research team in the Antarctic comes across an alien spacecraft leading to a confrontation between the lead scientist and his graduate students on what to do about the discovery. what the hell did I just watch, just a lame prequel to a scary 80's movie like the thing.

• Clay Templeton

★★★ Watched by Clay Templeton 11 Aug, 2014

Despite a well-established cast and good pacing on the front end, this prequel becomes top-heavy, reliant on CG spectacle over nuanced, restrained terror and particularly ham-fisted in the closing moments.