• JOKain II

★★★ Watched by JOKain II 16 Nov, 2014

You can't judge it in comparison to Carpenter's because it's not a remake. It's trying to tell another part of the story, and kudos for not trying to tell it in the same fashion. This movie goes more for the action/horror angle instead of the mystery/terror angle of Carpenter's, but still has the same core premise. It's not great, but it's good, and you can tell there was passion for the material there.

• Phil

★★★ Added by Phil

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

• Andy Summers

★★★★ Rewatched by Andy Summers 16 Nov, 2014 1

John Carpenter's 1982 cult classic, The Thing, is rightly regarded as just that, a cult classic. When Dutch filmmaker Matthijs van Heijningen talked of a remake, the wagons were circling. This film however is not a remake, but a prequel, and it's rather good.
    This may have did little at the box office, but whether it was bad marketing or simply apathy towards yet another "re-imagining", this deserved to be seen by a bigger audience. The story begins in the…

• jacker

★★ Watched by jacker 10 Oct, 2014

[...] eigentlich beantwortet diese neuere Version des Stoffes einzig Fragen, die überhaupt niemand gestellt hat! Die Bilder, sowie die Atmosphäre, die John Carpenter uns in seinem Film von vor 30 Jahren servierte, reichten vollkommen aus, um wahrscheinlich selbst die Phantasie des tumbsten Zuschauers zu einer vagen Vorstellung des Vorangegangenen anzuregen. Muss man da noch vorkauen, was in der Phantasie viel effektiver wirkte? Warum muss man heute überhaupt alles aussprechen? Ungewissheit ist doch gerade die Stärke des Horrors – ein Leitmotiv was viele in-your-face Inszenierungen heute leider vergessen haben. [...]

Ganzer Text: jackers2cents.de/?p=603

• Adrian Zachow

★★★ Watched by Adrian Zachow 28 Dec, 2011

Competently made prequel to the 1982 flick of the same name, updates the identical concept (alien found by scientists in Antarctic mission adopts the shapes of those it kills) with slick production values and some excellent, very yucky monster effects by Alec Gillis. The isolation card is not played as effectively as one would have hoped, but still there is some fine suspense to be had, making it a somewhat above average addition to an otherwise tired genre.

• Parker

★★ Rewatched by Parker 10 Nov, 2014 8

I'd prefer NoThing to this "Thing."

• oobawa

★½ Rewatched by oobawa 07 Nov, 2014

After watching director Matthijs van Heijningen’s 2011 prequel The Thing, I’m finding it incredibly hard not to write the following five word review and then go on about my day: “Fuck it. Watch the original.”

But, because of my possibly OCD-related need to document every movie I watch in a determinedly TL;DNR format, I can’t simply leave The Thing be. This movie irks me, not with a World War Z-level of unmitigated hatred, but more along the lines of, Damn…

• Derek Munro

★★ Watched by Derek Munro 04 Nov, 2014

The Thing is a wasted opportunity that commits the worst crime a prequel can commit - it tarnishes and removes a sense of mystery from the original source material. It is competently made and the special effects are not lazy but the entire thing just feels pointless the whole time.

The Thing is a connection of scenes of made to climax in a visual that references the John Carpenter film and make you think, "I remember that shattered ice from…

• Sascha Brittner

★★ Watched by Sascha Brittner 03 Nov, 2014

Solid but completely unnecessary.

• Sarfaraz Abbasi

★½ Added by Sarfaraz Abbasi

What were they doing trying to show the original of John Carpenter's The Thing, took place after this :-)

That's really freaky, were they trying to follow, Red Dragon. That's lame, and I believe there was no need for great film to be remade. It is total disaster.

• omniczech

Added by omniczech

John Carpenter is rolling in his grave over this abomination

• Moisés Navarro

★★★ Watched by Moisés Navarro 30 Oct, 2014

Primero lo primero: Mary Elizabeth Winstead está muy guapa.
    Habiendo aclarado lo anterior, The Thing es una película muy bien filmada, sabe construir -aunque reconocibles- momentos de tensión.

Por otra parte, tiene un par de manipulaciones, no justificadas y no explicadas que le resta puntos a la película. Incluso (tal vez fui yo quien me perdí) jamás vi desaparecer un personaje y no volvieron a él.

La criatura por momento se ve bien y por momentos no. Un buen acierto fue el cuadro actoral noruego. Fueron solventes y simpáticos, no quería que murieran, sólo los gringos, menos Mary Elizabeth.