• JimmyP77

★★★ Rewatched by JimmyP77 01 Sep, 2014

Not much to add from the last time I watched it. It's an unnecessary prequel/remake (premake?) which i'm guessing has already been mostly forgotten.

As a big fan of the original (and the original original) I do quite like it though - it could have been a lot worse (found footage?!), MEW is a good wide eyed lead, if a little young, and the Thing is an entertaining occasionally badly CGId fucked up monster.

I guess I just like a crash landed eldritch horror bent on assimilating bearded men in the middle of nowhere.

• Volker Bohlmann

★★★★ Watched by Volker Bohlmann 31 Aug, 2014 1

Dieser Film hat mir richtig spaß gemacht!

Die Story wirkte auf mich solide, die Effekte waren cool und auch wenn Filme dieser Art immer wieder das gleiche Schema haben, wurde mir hier nicht langweilig.

Da ich den Carpenter Film schon lange nicht mehr gesehen habe, musste ich mir sagen lassen, dass dieses Ding hier, direkt in das Carpenter Ding mündet.

Durch diesen Film ist meine Bewertungsskala hinüber. Die
    vier Sterne hat er verdient, nur habe ich auch Filme mit vier Sternen, die ich besser finde. Mal sehen, was ich da machen kann. Für drei ein halb Sterne ist diese hier zu gut!!!

• Daph Bajas

Watched by Daph Bajas 25 Aug, 2014

I admire the stark references and the balance in which it assures us of the layered sexes. But I cringe on buying too much on the original, like van Sant without care. D+

• footbalhuck

★★½ Added by footbalhuck

Ok I don't hate this film, I can't really as it trys to give us more of the same. Its just the 82 version gave us something original and this is just a retread of what's gone before.

The characters don't hit home this time which is a real strong point of carpenter's version and the effects arrmt as horrific. 30 years later and this surely isn't the best they could do.

• Gonçalo

Watched by Gonçalo 17 Aug, 2014

It's hard to be interested in the characters of the film when there's no really any character development.
    A poor remake of a classic horror film.

• masuyo

Added by masuyo

Teljes rezignáltság. A 82-es verzió jobban magába szippantott.

• MatthewLB

★½ Watched by MatthewLB 11 Aug, 2014

A prequel to the 1982 films of the same name: A research team in the Antarctic comes across an alien spacecraft leading to a confrontation between the lead scientist and his graduate students on what to do about the discovery. what the hell did I just watch, just a lame prequel to a scary 80's movie like the thing.

• Clay Templeton

★★★ Watched by Clay Templeton 11 Aug, 2014

Despite a well-established cast and good pacing on the front end, this prequel becomes top-heavy, reliant on CG spectacle over nuanced, restrained terror and particularly ham-fisted in the closing moments.

• John Markham

★★½ Watched by John Markham 21 Jun, 2012

A prequel to the 1982 classic of the same name on paper is totally unnecessary and uncalled for. Even now, 30 years after its release, the original film remains a masterpiece of psychological horror storytelling and the creature effects remain miraculously decent despite its age. So this prequel has an awful lot to live up to and it essentially comes off very much like 2010's sequel Predators, a film which captures the spirit of the original classic, but does little…

• moviedave

★★★ Rewatched by moviedave 05 Aug, 2014

No doubt you have all seen the classic 1982 John Carpenter movie 'The Thing' with Kurt Russelj.

an Antarctic exploration camp is infested by a shape changing alien that is systematically killing all the humans in it.

a gripping tour de force movie and classic.

well, the thing 2011 is the story of the Norwegian scientific team that find the spacecraft and thing buried in the ice.

to be frank, this is not a prequel really, but a remake of…

• etc.

½ Watched by etc. 05 Aug, 2014

Shittiest creature design. Shittiest characterization. Shittiest exposition. Shittiest attempts at suspense and tension. Shittiest film based on 'Who Goes There?' to date.

• Fabionei Bakhuizen

★★★½ Watched by Fabionei Bakhuizen 26 Jul, 2014

Received the same name of the other movie,but this is the prequel! It is nice with incredible visual effect, sometimes i miss the animatronic things and those makeups!