• Clay Bones

★★½ Watched by Clay Bones 06 Nov, 2015

Prequel to one of the most influential, and damn right terrifying horror movies there are, set mere days/moments before the events of The Thing (1982) we join the team who made the original discovery and unearthed the deadly specimen.

What made the 1982 original such an impactful film was the sheer terror that Carpenter could bring to the screen without even a glimpse of visual horror, and by the time the film ends we still don't completely understand what it…

• Caproni

★★ Watched by Caproni 07 Nov, 2015

A clear example of why people shouldn't ever touch the classic.

• Peter

★★½ Watched by Peter 01 Nov, 2015

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

Suffers from ‘midichlorianization’ – tries to explain too many things about the alien and its tech. The ending being a throwback to the 1982 version’s intro was nice. The main problem is that the monster wasn’t scary – too much screen time, too many screeches and CGI flesh.

• Mike

★★½ Added by Mike

This could have been a cool flick if not for the obnoxious overuse of CG for the creature effects. THE MAKEUP TESTS LOOK AMAZING!!

• Eric Eghigian

★★½ Added by Eric Eghigian

I liked this movie a lot when it came out but I was younger, more forgiving and a HUGE fan of the Carpenter version. Upon a recent re-watch though, it really doesn't hold up too well and I'm gonna speak of the film on it's own merits and not compare it as much as I can to be as fair as I can. I'll give credit where it's due, the movie looks pretty nice. The sets, location and costumes are…

• Bhetrick

★★★★ Rewatched by Bhetrick 12 Oct, 2015

Great prequel/remake that really holds its own.

• Ari

★★★ Rewatched by Ari 10 Oct, 2015

Very well executed prequel sequel for the original movie, keeping true to what made the first one so successful while adding some new information.

• Brendan Edwards

★★★½ Watched by Brendan Edwards 09 Oct, 2015

Having not watched the original cult classic this was the first time watching the newer remake of the thing and very enjoyable. Though the monsters are a bit ridiculous it was freaky and exciting and the isolation of being in the arctic applies even more tension to the film. If the original is as good as people say i am looking forward to watch it having really enjoyed this one.

• Patrick Mulcahy

★½ Watched by Patrick Mulcahy 23 Oct, 2011

Do we really need a third screen version of John W. Campbell’s story, Who Goes There also known as The Thing from Another World, to quote the title of the 1951 film, or just plain, The Thing, to cite the 1982 John Carpenter remake? Not on the evidence of this film. In narrative terms, it is a prequel to the 1982 film, ending – spoiler alert - with an alien masquerading as a dog bounding towards the Antarctic research facility…

• Charles Foster Kane

★★ Watched by Charles Foster Kane 05 Oct, 2015

With that I think I've seen all the things. Pretty pointless, but mostly harmless. No strong feelings against it; it's just one of those cases where there was no need for any of it, but that's not really a negative. It's just a meh type of movie that lacks most of the tension of the 82 version.

• Keith LaFountaine

★★★ Watched by Keith LaFountaine 03 Oct, 2015

Day 3 - Watchlist Purge: Horror Edition

John Carpenter's The Thing is a cult classic for a reason. Filled with tension, excellent acting, incredible effects, and a pounding score, there's certainly a reason why his film is so well received and loved. Unfortunately, for the remake/prequel version, there's not a whole lot here that differentiates itself from the original.

The problem with this version of The Thing is that it too closely resembles the film it's building off of. That's…

• John Mathews

★★½ Watched by John Mathews 27 Sep, 2015

Though it's well shot and Mary Elizabeth Winstead does a good job in the leading role, The Thing pales in comparison to John Carpenter's classic.