• Reagan Cox

Added by Reagan Cox

If you want a case study of how puppets are better than CGI watch John Carpenter's original and then chase it down with this.

• coles84

★★★½ Watched by coles84 03 Dec, 2016

Watched as part of Scavenger Hunt 21 December 2016/Task 6 -A Film made post 1994 with a character that made It's on screen debut prior to 1964/Film 2

So 'The Thing' originated as a short novella in a 1930's publication that was then first made in to a movie 'The Thing From Another World' in 1951 which was then adapted by John Carpenter and turned in to a masterpiece of suspense and horror in 1982's 'The Thing'. This task on…

• Classy_Critic

★★★★ Watched by Classy_Critic 28 Nov, 2016

(An old style of horror with some new added concepts)

Honestly, I tried to compare this film to the original to get a side by side of what I thought. Although very few scenes were similar, it still manages to turn a whole new direction. I didn't like the fact that some scenes felt rushed in the beginning. The effects were definitely improved, especially how they made the parasite cells look when attaching to human cells and thus recopying. Not…

• Beatrice Folque

★★★½ Watched by Beatrice Folque 25 Nov, 2016

I didn't know it was a prequel until I watched the 1982 thing the next day and realized this was not that bad

• Rickie J

★★½ Watched by Rickie J 25 Nov, 2016

I completely ignored this movie when it first came out for one simple reason, I thought it was a remake of the Carpenter's movie, that I love and for me is a classic, and it was not.

Who in his right mind give a movie that is a prequel the same title? and to make matters worse a similar poster? I don't remember seeing trailers that would have told me otherwise.

This is the story of the other Polar station…

• Stephen

★★★ Watched by Stephen 21 Nov, 2016

It'd be so easy to throw this movie under the bus and trash it like everyone wants to trash remakes — “oh when will Hollywood get some new ideas?!”, etc.

But that's tricky here. Because it does do all those things you don't want a horror remake to do — the scary practical effects are similar but with a slight CGI weightlessness, delivers flat-pack characters where the original had personality oozing out of it, shooting the whole thing on digital…

• Gav

★★★★ Rewatched by Gav 11 Nov, 2016

Whilst it's not a perfect film, I thoroughly enjoyed this. And I think it's highly underrated.
    Unfortunately the thing most will do is compare it to Mr Carpenter's version, which based on how amazing it is, was always going to be an uphill battle for this.
    I think this film acts as both prequel and remake as they are almost one in the same. With it's remote setting I guess there's limitations as to how different the stories can actually…

• Timothy

★★½ Watched by Timothy 10 Nov, 2016

It's biggest failure is that it tries to be a prequel to John Carpenter's thing. And most of its plot hole come from that fact.

Besides that everything else is just meh. Sometimes it steals scenes right from Carpenter's while not being aware of what made it good.

So yeah I didn't care for the thing. Like that time when that one thing did that thing to that other thing. Wasn't that something?

• cmasong

★★★★ Rewatched by cmasong 22 Oct, 2016

re-watch

• louisa

★★★ Watched by louisa 07 Nov, 2016

sure it was good but it was no The X Files (1993) Season 1 Episode 8

• Brittany

★½ Watched by Brittany 05 Nov, 2016

I'm so glad that Mary Elizabeth Winstead and Joel Edgerton were able to get over this disaster to have good careers.

• ames

★★★ Rewatched by ames 05 Nov, 2016

as much as i LOVE the original i don't hate this tbh. the cgi is bad and laughable but overall it's enjoyable and the ending ties the two films together nicely. the only thing (no pun intended) i don't like about it is the part that leads up to the ending. but otherwise it's pretty decent. don't hate me.