• Brendan Brown

★★★ Watched by Brendan Brown 12 Feb, 2016

The Thing is an Alien-esque horror film that isn't quite good enough to be truly scary, but it also isn't quite bad enough to really be funny. How much you enjoy it seems largely dependent on how you feel about gross puppet gore.

• mattyparsons

★★★★ Watched by mattyparsons 12 Feb, 2016

The reputation of The Thing seems to have grown over the years, so it was becoming an increasingly big "miss" for me...and I'm glad I finally caught up with it.

Its a really effective sci-fi horror...stripped back and tightly plotted, with the practical horror effects the real star of the show. Carpenter absolutely revels in the gloopy grue, gore and bone-crunching of the shape-shifting alien - its obviously more "fake" than what modern CG can achieve, but way more effective…

• ghola

Rewatched by ghola 12 Feb, 2016

Rob Bottin is my dream-dad.

• Scott Bailey

★★★★★ Rewatched by Scott Bailey 12 Feb, 2016

"I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time, I'd rather not spend the rest of this winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!"

This is John Carpenter's masterpiece in my opinion. It's easy to forget that The Thing is actually a remake of a 1951 classic (which to date I still need to see) because the film is so original and it's one of the most groundbreaking films ever made.

The use of all…

• fannyleo

★★★★★ Watched by fannyleo 08 Feb, 2016

This movie is really good. It's almost 35 years ago to make this movie.
    But there were a lot of scenes looked like real and crazy.
    They did a really good job to make this movie.
    When I was watching this movie, I felt very nervous.
    And I tried to guess who is "the thing".
    Even until the end, I still couldn't know "the thing" was really gone or not.
    I really enjoyed to watch this movie.

• Nicola Altieri

★★★★★ Rewatched by Nicola Altieri 12 Feb, 2016

Con tutto questo tirarlo in ballo a proposito di "Hateful Eight" di Tarantino m'è venuta voglia di rivederlo, nonostante sia uno dei film che ho visto più volte, la prima all'età di 5 anni in VHS noleggiata, dapprima nascondendomi dietro il divano cercando di non farmi scoprire e poi con mio padre sconsolato che con poca convinzione mi metteva la mano davanti gli occhi.

Non c'è molto da dire che non sia già stato detto, credo sia in assoluto il…

• vertigod

★★★★½ Watched by vertigod 10 Feb, 2016

Oh my god, The Thing blew me away. John Carpenter is a highly skilled director; his amazing talent for filmmaking shines here more than ever, even more, I might venture, than in his classic horror movie, Halloween. His creepy, floating dolly shots give all of his films an uneasy atmosphere and that is essential to this movie.
    The interesting thing about John Carpenter movies is that they're enormously campy, usually have one-dimensional characters, are dated, and have goofy dialogue. But…

• Paul Zoccolillo

★★★★ Watched by Paul Zoccolillo 10 Feb, 2016

an absorbing and thoroughly unnerving descent into an ice-cold hell layered with paranoia and angst, the direction in maintaining an atmosphere of doom is staggering, the sets and special effects are both remarkable, authentically scary

• dm55

★★★★ Rewatched by dm55 10 Feb, 2016

Confusion and paranoia, most of all. It begins with two unexplained deaths, and quickly devolves into blood and gore and chaos. The perpetual winter setting closes off the characters from the rest of the world, and each one turns into a potential threat. Trust is non-existent.

One thing that stood out to me this time is the actions of each character, and how at every moment they are portrayed as equally scared as they are dangerous. And I can never remember the order in which they become the "thing". It's constantly surprising, and the paranoia always lurks about.

The practical effects are second to none.

• valleygirl

★★★★★ Rewatched by valleygirl 07 Feb, 2016

Viewed in 35mm as part of a double feature with The Hateful Eight at the New Beverly Cinema.

• T C

★★★★ Rewatched by T C 10 Feb, 2016

Dogface Killah

• Paddy Hannan

★★★★★ Rewatched by Paddy Hannan 10 Feb, 2016

John Carpenter Retrospective 2016

Being my first viewing in at least twenty years, all I remembered of The Thing is the ineffaceable level of pure horror the film sustains and its suffocating degrees of claustrophobic suspense.
    It's hard to not see the similarities to Alien, and despite "critical" reputation, The Thing is no less a film. This is a film that achieves the greatest quality that can be attained in horror, be it in film or literature - it invokes,…