• Malcolm

★★★ Watched by Malcolm 13 Oct, 2015

Film 7/31 for Hoop-Tober 2.0

My Hoop-Tober 2.0 Films Ranked (So Far)

The practical effects are absolutely 10/10. The Thing should be a constant reminder that sci-fi films don't need special effects to look good; especially in this over-CGI'ed film industry.

The following passage is all my personal (unpopular) opinion: Technically, The Thing excels, but narratively it falls short in character development. The Thing never becomes an embodiment of fear, there was never a suspenseful feeling that a (very flat)…

• Connor Eves

★★★★½ Watched by Connor Eves 13 Oct, 2015

There is no better way to keep an audience guessing through an entire film then to make them question whether or not anyone in the film is actually someone.

This films feeling of paranoia is captured so perfectly that there is never a moment where the audience knows what is going on. Behind every line a character says you are made to question the motivation behind it and then question the different scenarios and reasons why they could be saying…

• Aya Vandenbussche

★★★★★ Watched by Aya Vandenbussche 10 Oct, 2015

I have never seen this film before, which is an outrage I know, but I am really happy to have watched it for the first time on 70mm film print with 6 digital sound channel. The copy was a bit red, but still worth a watch. Even though I have seen quite a few clips of the film and often knew what was coming I still jumped.
    The film was so I absolutely love Carpenter's head, he's so imaginative. I…

• Joanna_Hersey

★★★★★ Watched by Joanna_Hersey 12 Oct, 2015

Awesome. Fucking awesome.

• Mickey Chiechi

★★★★★ Rewatched by Mickey Chiechi 12 Oct, 2015

Still a winner! I always forget just how grotesque some of this stuff really is. That dog thing!

• Neal Mercier

★★★★★ Watched by Neal Mercier 08 Oct, 2015

Night 4 of 13 Nights of Halloween Horror

The Thing is an absolutely terrifying movie, perfectly melding the grotesque with the beautiful in a film chock-full of suspense and paranoia. I may prefer Carpenter's Halloween, but this is still a damn good horror film.

• Abby

★★★★★ Rewatched by Abby 11 Oct, 2015

One of the best horror/sci-fi films I've seen!

• tacomapmogul

★★★★★ Added by tacomapmogul

A perfect movie.

• Joseph Judge

★★★★½ Watched by Joseph Judge 12 Oct, 2015

The doggy was cute.

• Tim

★★★★★ Watched by Tim 11 Oct, 2015 1

A classic horror masterpiece. John Carpenter is on full display in this film and boy does he deliver! The special effects, the directing, the plot, and the suspense is all top notch. Some of the special effects are so nauseating and disturbing that I almost have to look away. Brilliant.

• Cory

★★★★★ Rewatched by Cory 11 Oct, 2015

This movie rocks on so many levels. Especially Kurt Russel's beard! He even pours whiskey into a computer.

• Kevin Seiler

★★★★★ Watched by Kevin Seiler 11 Oct, 2015

Hoop-Tober 2015 Movie #11

If anyone ever tells you that CGI trumps practical effects, or that John Carpenter can't do tension and atmosphere, or that Kurt Russell needs a haircut, all you need to do is show them this film. If they persist, then you strap them to a chair and, using a large pipe wrench, bash them in the shins until they concede. Because, to put it quite simply, they are wrong.

Another case of "why the hell did…