• Swampflix

★★★★★ Watched by Swampflix 20 Oct, 2015

“If I only catch one film during this mini-Carpenter Fest, I’m glad I at least got to experience The Thing for the first time on the big screen. The movie’s visuals are on par with the best the director has ever crafted. The strange, rose-colored lighting of emergency flares & the sparse, snow-covered Antarctica hellscape give the film an otherworldly look backed up, of course, by the foreign monstrosity of its titular alien beast. The film’s creature design is over-the-top in…

• packers12

★★★ Watched by packers12 23 Jun, 2016

I'd say this is pretty overrated. Not very scary, only character you actually get to know and care about is Kurt Russell's. If you like slow build up in your movies with little horror you should like this one. The first 25 minutes or so is extremely grasping but the movie starts to fall off a bit after. The climax felt like it could of been bigger, and the way they handle the characters doesn't bring any emotional connection to the story.But the ending was solid and the design of The Thing was very interesting. Not a bad movie but not a very good one either.

• LeFilmGirl

★★★★½ Rewatched by LeFilmGirl 23 Jun, 2016

Favorite Carpenter film

• Malte Fly

★★ Watched by Malte Fly 23 Jun, 2016 2

Have to say I am vastly disappointed after hearing so many good things about this film.
    My main gripe is that it just showed so much in the first half, that there was absolutely nothing left to be shocked, surprised or creeped out by, when the plot started to climax.
    This meant that, as a horror film, it was not scary, and as a mystery film, it was not mysterious. And if it is not a horror, and not a…

• marundell

★★ Watched by marundell 23 Jun, 2016

This is a very well written piece of shit.

I'll eat my hat of James Cameron hadn't seen this before he made Aliens. The likeness for me was uncanny.

• Michael Raine

★★★★★ Rewatched by Michael Raine 22 Jun, 2016

"Trust's a hard thing to come by these days."

• Gary Foster

★★★½ Added by Gary Foster

such a good film

• Pek Mi

★★★★★ Rewatched by Pek Mi 22 Oct, 2011

One of the few remakes (horror or otherwise) that is every bit as essential as the original, and, fewer still, its own--forgive the pun--thing.

• Quinn Bailey

★★★★★ Rewatched by Quinn Bailey 21 Jun, 2016

Rewatched this with the John Carpenter/Kurt Russell commentary, which helped me realize just how on point and efficient Carpenter's visual storytelling is here. Even without dialogue, everything's comprehensible and carefully set up, especially with how the entire cast is able to portray so much with action rather than dialogue. Listening to Carpenter and Russell talking about the production is an absolutely delightful addition as well, especially when they get way, way, waaaay too into the defibrillator sequence. Still one of the best damn horror films ever made.

• mesmermized

★★★★★ Added by mesmermized

spoilers: the thing is an alien

• Timmy Kandra

★★★★ Watched by Timmy Kandra 16 Jun, 2016

While the characters are not very memorable, the visuals I will most definitely remember. The use of practical effects and make-up are astounding, making this monster look ultimately terrifying. The horror builds up through a tense score by Ennio Morricone, great and eerie cinematography and killer direction from Carpenter who knows exactly the tone and build-up needed. The group of actors could've had a stronger connection towards the beginning of the film so, that way, I could really connect and…

• bjarvis

★★★ Watched by bjarvis 19 Jun, 2016

Very 80s Sci-Fi horror. Cool film. Kurt Russell was just the ultimate cowboy.