• Matt Ineman

★★★★ Watched by Matt Ineman 24 Aug, 2016

The Thing is a cult classic by all possible means. It's the film that all other horror-thrillers should aspire to be like. The atmosphere is so perfectly chilling. Morricone's score is hauntingly unsettling, constantly keeping the beat in the background as it pushes this bleak, tense film along. The prosthetic makeup effects look so damn good it's nearly unbelievable that they're from 1982, because we can't do much better today. The body horror and gore is so awesome and characteristically…

• Bryce Simmons

★★★★★ Added by Bryce Simmons

The pinnacle of body-horror Kino. It just doesn't get better than this, folks.
    John Carpenter's Magnum Opus, the epitome of practical effect usage. If you like horror/scifi and haven't seen this film, you should probably go to your local Walmart or Best Buy and pick it up, it'll be like five dollars for the Blu Ray.
    Don't torrent, don't rent or try to catch it on TV, buy it. You'll thank me.

• Sabrina

★★★ Watched by Sabrina 24 Aug, 2016

If I were to rate The Thing based on its historical importance and influence on the horror genre, I would give it a five out of five. However, I'm rating it on the actual quality of the film. Without Kurt Russel and some genuinely good special effects, this film would've fallen totally flat. There was no tension, there was bad performances and flat dialogue, and there was an unfortunate lack of actually scary scenes. I really wanted to like The Thing, but it lacked quality scares and relied too heavily on gore and extreme violence.

• setsailale

★★★★★ Watched by setsailale 24 Aug, 2016

COOL CLASSIC HORROR ALIEN MOVIE which i liekd alot especially simce the actors were v nonchalant abt it. well maybe im remembering it wrong i dont mean they didnt care but it wasnt over the top

• melissa ✨

★★★★★ Watched by melissa ✨ 23 Aug, 2016

my new favorite movie where kurt russell is trapped in snow ft. ennio morricone

• Greg Robinson

★★★★★ Rewatched by Greg Robinson 22 Aug, 2016

First time inviting my son to Scary Movie Monday. Complete success!

Son, meet John Carpenter. His career had some major highs and major lows. For THE THING, Mr. Carptenter brought his A Game. And then some.

I also want to introduce you to Kurt Russell. He's the man.

• Richie Schumann

★★★★★ Watched by Richie Schumann 22 Aug, 2016

I'm at it again, 5 star ratings out the ass, but man oh man if a film ever deserved 5 stars....

No doubt, the most tense film I've ever seen in my life. The structure of the film leaves so many open doors and possible outcomes, the mystery is genuine, effective and ever-present.

-Morriconne's score
    -Kurt Russel as Jesus
    -John Carpenter (the most lit director in history)
    -Beautiful, snowy cinematography
    -Horrifying practical effects
    -Blue lights + red flares

A fucking work of pure genius.

Cinema may have peaked in the 80's my friends...

• Mike Hellman

★★★★★ Watched by Mike Hellman 22 Aug, 2016

One of the best horror films I've seen in a really long time.
    5/5

• Jason Hernandez

★★★★½ Watched by Jason Hernandez 21 Aug, 2016

Blood, guts, snow, Kurt Russell, nasty alien goo and John Carpenter's great eye for suspense are the immediate pleasures of this gory good time. Just under the surface though, it's a curious meeting of the student and the teacher. Here, Carpenter doesn't so much pay slavish homage to Howard Hawks (who is generally acknowledged to be the director of the original 1951 film, despite Christian Nyby's credit) as he does look upon him eye-to-eye. Carpenter knows his Hawks inside and…

• Flick Fanatics (Matt)

★★★★★ Watched by Flick Fanatics (Matt) 21 Aug, 2016

This film succeeds brilliantly.

• Aaron Locke

★★★★ Watched by Aaron Locke 21 Aug, 2016 1

A long overdue watch.

One of my favorite concepts (a group trapped in a place, everyone questioning whether or not they can trust another) executed brilliantly. The special effects are incredible and the cinematography is a dream. I kept saying "look at that shot!!!"

• Dan Tabor

★★★★★ Watched by Dan Tabor 21 Aug, 2016 2

Checking out the new 2K transfer.