• reallybeavy

★★★ Watched by reallybeavy 17 Apr, 2015

I'm sure this freaked the hell out of people in 1982. Impressive make-up and effects. Will always remember the first appearance of the "thing," in a cage full of dogs no less, as well as the memorable opening. Good score. Relentless with the grotesquerie, eventually to its detriment. Large cast too.

• Ian W. Pugh

★★★★★ Rewatched by Ian W. Pugh 17 Apr, 2015

The most valuable piece of Thing criticism is Peter Watts' short story "The Things", which presents the alien as an uncomprehending colonialist who "decides" to validate its victims' beliefs about it. Invader and invaded in the same breath. It's a brilliant piece because, trust themes aside, it recognizes how the research team fills the same role(s), something established from the very instant we meet them. Conquering heroes, ready to make premature claims and defenses. MacReady plays on a chess computer,…

• HELLFIGHTER

★★★★★ Added by HELLFIGHTER

One of the greatest horror films ever made. SUPERIOR efx and story line. Excellent acting. The movie is a nightmare of paranoia. Isolated by location, weather, temperature and distance add to that the claustrophobia of a small research camp, in close quarters with something you dont even want to TOUCH. Not to mention probably the most frightening creature ever created. Seemingly unstoppable and with advanced intelligence, the creature is a fearsome entity on a level of ferocity hard to imagine. Great portrayals by the cast and great direction by a master. NO CGI. Amazing efx.

• Batemon _KTT

★★★★★ Added by Batemon _KTT

I knew it would be good, but this exceeded my expectations.

• Jeff Williams

★★★★½ Rewatched by Jeff Williams 16 Apr, 2015

"Chariots of the Gods, man. They practically own South America. I mean, they taught the Incas everything they know."

• meatbag

★★★½ Added by meatbag

So I guess this year I'm just gonna watch Kurt Russell's filmography.

Holy shit. HOLY SHIT! I wasn't expecting the movie to be this graphic...Or for it to look so good! Like, this came out three years after "Alien" and the effects are 54645882348x better.

Nobody acts rationally in this movie though and that is v, v frustrating for me. Like, I understand the panic when they realize that any of them could be the Thing and they realize…

• SEC Movies

★★★★ Watched by SEC Movies 11 Apr, 2015

John Carpenter's 'The Thing' is a stunning horror film that features some of the greatest practical effects in film history. Carpenter once again proves that he is one of the greatest directors when it comes to the horror genre because the atmosphere he provides is just incredible. You have no clue who "The Thing" actually is and that just makes the film even more compelling. In a lot of ways I actually found the man versus man element more compelling…

• tskimmett

★★★★ Watched by tskimmett 11 Apr, 2015

Although I didn't find this one to be that scary (other audience members were a bit disruptive admittedly), I certainly appreciated the tone it set and the very natural way in which the story unfolded. I'm (even) more excited to see Kurt Russel's other collaborations with Carpenter now. An easy cult classic and one I would like to own.

• scotts2323

★★★★ Watched by scotts2323 11 Apr, 2015

I saw the remake or I guess it would be the prequel before I saw the original. I enjoyed the remake/prequel, but man did I really like the original.

Great characters, great suspense, isolation, that oh so terrible uneasy feeling, all made for one hell of a thriller.

Kurt was fantastic, and that beard and those locks, you knew he'd be uninfected. Can't mess with perfection.

I don't know what scared me more, the thing, the isolation, or the not knowing of who.

• Reece Leonard

★★★★ Added by Reece Leonard

Focusing on psychological drama and paranoia to compliment the special effects, "The Thing" is a well-directed, slow, and intelligent sci-fi film that knows that the most effective form of allegory is one that involves the duality of man.

• Lauren Faulds

★★★★★ Watched by Lauren Faulds 08 Apr, 2015

Perfect film is perfect, right down to Kurt Russell's luscious locks.

• Matías Franco

Watched by Matías Franco 09 Apr, 2015

How does one get on Kurt Russell's beard level?