• Gabriel Guimarães

★★★★★ Watched by Gabriel Guimarães 26 May, 2016 2

I love this so much but I can never remember the name of a single character except MacReady. At least they gave the monster a memorable name.

• Ethan Magee

★★★★½ Watched by Ethan Magee 25 May, 2016

John Carpenter revolutionized horror with Halloween, and he proved with The Thing that that was no fluke and he knew how to up the ante in every way. This was a very suspenseful film, and I think it says something when the monster effects not only hold up and don't take you out of the movie but serve to make the movie even more terrifying. I'm not surprised the remake was as poorly received as it was, it would be hard to exceed or even reach a masterfully made film like this.

• Arnold Furious

★★★★★ Rewatched by Arnold Furious 25 May, 2016

I've been wanting to re-watch this since seeing the Hateful Eight and knowing Tarantino used the Thing as inspiration. The Thing is an exercise in mistrust and paranoia. It is beautifully done. I maintain this is Carpenter's best work. I love that people still can't agree on the ending and what happens to the alien. I put the question to my wife after this re-watch and her reply was the same as I've always thought and yet the opposite could also be true. Or neither. Pesky directors and their brilliant endings, keeping folks guessing.

• vanslater

★★★★★ Rewatched by vanslater 21 Apr, 2009

• Timm Jett

★★★★★ Rewatched by Timm Jett 24 May, 2016

Carpenter at his best.

• Brandon

★★★★★ Rewatched by Brandon 17 May, 2016

The definitive body horror masterpiece.

• Caris Rianne

★★★★½ Watched by Caris Rianne 21 May, 2016

It's not fair that these kind of films aren't made anymore, but it does make them even more special.

• Gavin Bard

★★★★★ Rewatched by Gavin Bard 20 May, 2016 1

"I don't know what is in there but it is weird and pissed off."

The Thing is the second film adaptation of John W. Campbell's "Who Goes There?" and is, shockingly enough, the more faithful of the two. In this, John Carpenter's magnum opus, a team of twelve men are preparing for the winter at a research station in the Antarctic. Things start to spiral out of control when they find a Norwegian researcher from another camp shooting at a…

• Linus

★★★★½ Rewatched by Linus 19 May, 2016

Absolutely great film. Perfect structure, suspenseful, gorgeous practical effects. Deserves to be a classic.

• Capra_cinefila

★★★★½ Added by Capra_cinefila

Recuperando il vecchio film fantascientifico di Christian Nyby e contaminandolo con elementi horror, John Carpenter instaura la paura all'interno dei protagonisti, creando un notevole clima di paranoia e diffidenza che raggiunge vette incredibili nel gelido e inquietante finale. Molto buona la prova del cast, in particolare convince quella di Kurt Russell. Massiccio utilizzo dei vecchi, adorati e mai troppo lodati effetti speciali, che spettacolarizzano in maniera esemplare la vicenda.

• J.W. Hendricks

★★★★★ Rewatched by J.W. Hendricks 18 May, 2016

Watched with the commentary by Carpenter and Russell.

They may have made some of the most intense movies of the 70's/80's, but they seem like genuinely delightful humans. 10/10 would hang out with.

• Elle

★★★★★ Watched by Elle 19 May, 2016

Any dream I ever had of going to Antarctica?
    Never. Going. To. Happen.