• Corleonetone

★★★★★ Added by Corleonetone

Here we have an amazing horror film. John Carpenter masterfully creates a claustrophobic, tense and terrifying atmosphere. The main essence of this film is the fear of the unknown, and the director is skilled enough to make the audience immerse in the situation of the characters. But not only that, here we find one of the best and most gruesome special effects on a horror flick. For being practical, it makes everything more realistic. And, of course, the soundtrack: it…

• msub

★★★½ Added by msub

Obviously pretty cheesy, but actually pretty suspenseful and enjoyable.

• escott

★★★ Watched by escott 28 Sep, 2016

starts off slow then gets better and better....

• Richard King

★★★★★ Watched by Richard King 29 Sep, 2016

"Yeah fuck you to" McCordy

My god why did it tak me so long to see this movie, I have a new favorite horror film of all time. The characters in it are amazing the movie is suspenseful as fuck. The best part is the effects it is the best practical effects I have ever seen in a movie this film is a perfect example of why you do practical effects instead of CGI number one CGI doesn't age well…

• Connie Voltaire

★★★★½ Watched by Connie Voltaire 29 Sep, 2016

its alien but like... you know. theres a thing instead of an alien

• NLevey

★★★★ Watched by NLevey 28 Sep, 2016

There's something perversely satisfying about the sound of those segmented spider legs bursting out of a dog corpse. A thick crunch and scuttle.

Some good moral dilemmas too.

• Paul Davis

★★★★★ Rewatched by Paul Davis 28 Sep, 2016

Best practical effects of all time, no contest. Some of the best and scariest monster designs ever. How do you make a bleak, brutal monster movie and convince the audience that no one is safe? Kill all the dogs first. Fucking ruthless. Kurt Russell is, as always, a total badass as R.J. MacReady. You know you don't want to mess with anyone with enough confidence to wear that hat! Carpenter was years ahead of his time with this one, and as paranoia fueled piece of true horror filmmaking, this still holds up today.

• Richard T

★★★★½ Rewatched by Richard T 28 Sep, 2016

"Cheating bitch."

When I first discovered horror movies growing up, The Thing was one of the first ones I truly loved. The dog transformation scene disturbed me a lot, though.

Watching it now, it's still one of my favourite horrors. John Carpenter really does a dynamite job with this film; the tension and the atmosphere are masterfully constructed.

Add a solid Kurt Russell in the lead and brilliant effects and you've got one of John Carpenter's best and most enduring films.

P.S: The dog transformation scene still disturbs me a lot.

• Danilo Bortoli

★★★★★ Watched by Danilo Bortoli 28 Sep, 2016

Ice and fire, the perfect dialectical exercise.

• Shayne Travis Grieve

★★★★★ Watched by Shayne Travis Grieve 28 Sep, 2016

I have a somewhat sick fascination with body horror and transformation.

• Matt

★★★★★ Rewatched by Matt 28 Sep, 2016

Seriously, does it really get any better then this?

• alie

★★★½ Watched by alie 28 Sep, 2016

loved the 1993 remake aka season one episode eight of the x-files "ice"