• Mike de Raaf

★★★★★ Rewatched by Mike de Raaf 19 Jul, 2016

This is just such a tight simple script. A shape shifting alien infiltrates an isolated group of people. Madness, paranoia, and assimilation ensue. The tension is palpable. I really appreciated the nods to the 1951 film after watching them as a double feature. There are a lot of visual references like the footage of the Norwegians encircling the craft, the axe lodged in the wall, or the empty block of ice.

The Thing is a practical effects masterpiece. One of…

• ChowYumFat

★★½ Watched by ChowYumFat 23 Jul, 2016

Super cool execution of an ordinary script. The characters are so poorly drawn. I never felt anything for anyone even when they died. Cool music. Great practical FX. A few cool scares.

• Daniel Charchuk

★★★★★ Rewatched by Daniel Charchuk 09 Oct, 2011

Terrifying and terrific, with superb effects and the leanest of lean stories.

• Braden Summers

★★★★★ Added by Braden Summers

Ew, but also scary, but more so ew.

It's kinda sad to see a film that's over 30 years old which has better visuals than some films nowadays. Honestly, practical is better, it's real, its better for the actors, plus even more importantly it requires effort. If the people making the stuff like the story they'll put passion into their work. Passion = Best story someone can help bring to life.

Finally its mysterious and really puts the character's in a state of vulnerability, like any good horror should.

Excellent work

• Sara K.

★★ Watched by Sara K. 22 Jul, 2016

Scavenger Hunt July 2016 // Task #8 A movie set in the mountains or in a cold place.

All the monster stuff was cool but the rest of it was SO boring.

• Reznor111

★★★★ Watched by Reznor111 18 Jul, 2016

See my review at Filmmániás blog:

filmmanias.eblog.hu/kritika-a-dolog-the-thing-1982-14433

• Video Cult

★★★★★ Rewatched by Video Cult 20 Jul, 2016 1

Blu-ray

• Kenny Herndon

★★★★★ Rewatched by Kenny Herndon 20 Jul, 2016

Carpenter Marathon Part 6
    Day one, movie 6

In my last review, I called Escape from New York near perfect. That is because I hadn't gotten to The Thing yet. The Thing is unequivocally Carpenter's best film and is the peak of his career (and quite possibly the sci-fi horror genre as a whole.)

The Thing is unnerving and incredibly tense. Every step of the escalating witch hunt, every sideways glance by a character, and every second of silence leaves…

• ballsdeep0811

★★★★★ Watched by ballsdeep0811 22 Jul, 2016

"Yeah, fuck you too!" - MacReady

Excellent claustrophobic sci-fi horror from John Carpenter. Antarctic research station is infected by shape shifting E.T.  that kills off stereotype character cut-outs one by one.  Kurt Russell drinks J&B and plays a bearded, hard ass helicopter pilot. Keith David, Wilford Brimley (sans mustache), Donald "Clear and Present Danger President" Moffat (with eyebrows) round out a cast of "Hey! It's that guy" actors. Ennio Morricone phones in a droning bass sound that passes for a…

• James Kujawa

★★★★★ Rewatched by James Kujawa 21 Jul, 2016

I think The Thing is gonna be one of my favorite movies pretty soon. I just wanna keep watching it over and over. I wouldn't be surprised if it reaches Die Hard status at some point for me. Those gory, grotesque special effects are fucking mesmerizing. Just ugly, horrific, vibrant violence and crushing paranoia without a fucking lick of hope. Beautiful fucking stuff, man.

• lillambot

★★★★★ Added by lillambot

repeat watch as a teen

• Drummer

★★★★½ Added by Drummer

Amazing practical effects that still hold strong. I have a pet peeve with Carpenters blood looking like jello and a weird shade of red in most of his movies. But aside from that small detail this is a classic that I waited for too long to finally see.