• William Mahaffey

★★★★★ Rewatched by William Mahaffey 23 May, 2015

Filmmaking perfection.

• Aboo612

★★★★★ Watched by Aboo612 23 May, 2015

Loosely based on the 1951 classic "The Thing from Another World" this retelling is more of a remake in spirit than in content.

Shuffling around a few of the ideas, mainly the biology of the Thing itself, really shows that Carpenter understands horror like no other. Tense, atmospheric, perfect for what it wants to be.

Nothing more needs to be said for the legendary creature effects, they speak for themselves and will outlive the decades of CGI that come after it.

A horror masterpiece.

• Kevin

★★★★½ Rewatched by Kevin 23 May, 2015

it's certainly a thing when i'm able to see stuff like this out here in the cinema

• Neale

★★★★★ Rewatched by Neale 22 May, 2015

Thumbs Up: Perfectly plotted, perfectly paced, awesome performances, the whole thing runs so smoothly its impossible not to get completely immersed in the paranoia. As for the practical effects, just consider it a love letter to a lost cinematic art form and make note that no film - before or since - has had a scene where a guy's stomach splits open and bites the arms off another guy before his head morphs into a crab. Superb.

Thumbs Down: Not a lot to complain about - except maybe that bullshit computer simulation that looks more like an NES game.

• freecialis

★★★ Watched by freecialis 21 May, 2015

Cool but somebody probably has to explain to me why it's a masterpiece.

• Herrvonspeck

★★★½ Watched by Herrvonspeck 14 May, 2015

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

After watching Blutgletscher recently, which thrives on similar motives as The Thing I thought I should lighten up this blind spot. It surprised me that they brought up the mutants pretty early which left not much room for suspense. I think the burned Norwegian base was quite enough foreshadowing. For a movie that is supposed to portray a special kind of paranoia most characters and especially the protagonist act not very smart in terms of protecting themselves against the alien…

• Preyesh Sankarparsad

★★★★ Rewatched by Preyesh Sankarparsad 11 May, 2015

I'm just glad that I didn't watch this when i was a kid... this would have scared the crap outa me!!!!
    Though I have watched this previously, it was great watching it again when the TV channel was supposed to air the remake/prequel, but aired this one instead... nothing wrong with that...
    The great thing about this movie is the slow build to the ultimate climax, there's something amuck on this base, but the guys just cant seem to figure…

• Birdman

★★★★★ Rewatched by Birdman 08 Apr, 2015

10/10

• joshk

★★★★★ Watched by joshk 28 Apr, 2015

John carpenter and Kurt Russell team up again and created the amazing the thing this wasn't very bloody or gory but i still loved it i thought it was a masterpiece

• RafeGuttman

★★★★★ Added by RafeGuttman 4

Excavating and exalting difference to dethrone the tyranny of the same has been the chief motivation of post-modern philosophy. Deleuze, the movement's standard bearer, traced out its manifesto with Difference and Repetition. The Platonic forms and all of their earthly shadows have been eclipsed by a difference that introduces novelty into worldly creation. Following Nietzsche's footprints, Deleuze, and his fellow post moderns, stamp over God's grave but eulogize Him through worshiping His works.

The Thing's ability to imitate life forms…

• Davis Imboden

★★★★★ Rewatched by Davis Imboden 03 May, 2015

R.J. MacReady is probably the greatest film hero ever. Guy just gets shit-hammered on scotch and flies a goddamn helicopter around Antarctica. Fights aliens with flamethrowers & dynamite. And look at that hat. Dude rules.

• Alexandru Crețu

★★★★★ Added by Alexandru Crețu

I need to get myself a flamethrower now.