• Alex Leadbeater

★★★★★ Rewatched by Alex Leadbeater 22 Jul, 2014

When thinking of great sci-fi my mind never seems to settle on The Thing, despite since I first saw it having loved every chilling (or chilly) moment and found MacReady one of the most immediately likeable protagonists.

• yrsurfinman

Watched by yrsurfinman 22 Jul, 2014

Unlike its cousin, Alien, this one isn’t so shy about its monster. It retains an air of mystery through the nature of the monster rather than avoiding special effects sequences for much of the film. It works better for it. This movie is incredibly atmospheric, but also pulpy and lurid. It had me talking to the screen, and that’s generally a good sign.

• MONDONGO

★★★★★ Added by MONDONGO

fucking dope movie

• Jerry Downing

★★★★★ Rewatched by Jerry Downing 19 Jul, 2014 1

Connection to previous movie - Kurt Russell

"I dunno what the hell's in there, but it's weird and pissed off, whatever it is."

I debate with myself as to which is my favorite John Carpenter movie, and for now I'm going with The Thing. I love everything about this film. The cast, the score by Ennio Morricone, the amazing practical effects done by Rob Bottin, etc.

• Arild Sundby

★★★★★ Watched by Arild Sundby 18 Jul, 2014

Easily on my top 5 list. This movie has everything!

I'm still in shock to be honest, I have never experienced anything like this...

• Samuel

★★★★★ Rewatched by Samuel 18 Jul, 2014

With John Carpenter & Kurt Russell commentary.

• James Kujawa

★★★★½ Watched by James Kujawa 18 Jul, 2014

I felt every bit of this film. The paranoia, the terror, the chaos, the fucking HORRIFYING special effects - all of it. There's a ramshackle swagger to it - let's try this, let's try that, let's go balls to the wall here - that brings this picture to life. It's epic and claustrophobic. It's soul crushingly dark and sinfully vibrant. It's wide eyed, edge of your seat, can't stay awake but can't go to bed yet and couldn't fall asleep…

• GeekDroll

★★★★ Watched by GeekDroll 23 Feb, 2014

Maravilla de la Ciencia Ficción y encima ochentera.

• Stef

★★★½ Watched by Stef 28 Jul, 2011

Not quite as scary as it is... icky. But I enjoy icky, so that's totally fine. Also, I finally understand why people perv over (a young) Kurt Russell.

• Ivan Obiol

★★★★½ Added by Ivan Obiol 1

Una obra maestra, desde que empieza con esa música acojonante de un Ennio Morricone irreconocible,con una atmósfera de tensión y angustia que se mantiene a lo largo de toda la película, los personajes creíbles, escenas impactantes como la de los perros y que aun hoy no ha perdido ni la fuerza ni el impacto al verla tanto tiempo después.
    Que placer ver una película de terror donde la gente se comporta como se haría en una situación extrema, con instinto de supervivencia y no haciendo imbecilidades y con conversaciones de besugos, como en el 90 por cien de las películas de terror.

• Jamie

★★★★½ Watched by Jamie 13 Jul, 2014

Wow, this was very good. The intense atmosphere was fantastic; it reminded me a bit of Alien, which I loved, so this was a great watch.

• Owen Hughes

★★★★ Watched by Owen Hughes 08 Jul, 2014

Is there a better paranoia-sci-fi-horror that exists in the world?

Well, yes. Alien. But the point remains. The Thing is bloody excellent. Not Carpenter's best film; I still believe Halloween is superior, but it's streets ahead of everything else. The effects are magnificent, the atmosphere is tense and occasionally frightening, plus: Kurt Russell.