• Kevin Olson

★★★★★ Rewatched by Kevin Olson 26 Mar, 2013

Teaming up once again with cinematographer Dean Cundey, Carpenter creates what is arguably his richest, most atmospheric film (I often go back on forth on whether I think The Thing is better than Halloween). The long empty corridors throughout the arctic research center or the snow-shrouded exterior shots have an eerie emptiness to them — as if we’re just waiting for something to jump out at us. But Carpenter, as per usual, is more interested in keeping his scares quietly…

• Systemlogic

★★★½ Rewatched by Systemlogic 09 Mar, 2015

The Fiancé had never seen it before, needless to say I had to then add it to my Blu Ray collection.

• JohnAllegretti

Added by JohnAllegretti

Blu-Ray

• Josh Ochoa

★★★★ Rewatched by Josh Ochoa 12 Apr, 2015

One of John Carpenter's many classic films, The Thing is mastery of claustrophobic cinema with a touch of social commentary and the primal need to survive. Gorgeously shot, wonderfully scored with some of the most brilliant practical special effects you'll ever see. It's tense, taught, constantly engaging and thrilling with a strong cast and even stronger direction. A great film.

• Wavriel

★★★★★ Watched by Wavriel 21 Apr, 2015

Masterpiece. I've never felt so paranoid when watching a movie before.

• reallybeavy

★★★ Watched by reallybeavy 17 Apr, 2015

I'm sure this freaked the hell out of people in 1982. Impressive make-up and effects. Will always remember the first appearance of the "thing," in a cage full of dogs no less, as well as the memorable opening. Good score. Relentless with the grotesquerie, eventually to its detriment. Large cast too.

• Ian W. Pugh

★★★★★ Rewatched by Ian W. Pugh 17 Apr, 2015

The most valuable piece of Thing criticism is Peter Watts' short story "The Things", which presents the alien as an uncomprehending colonialist who "decides" to validate its victims' beliefs about it. Invader and invaded in the same breath. It's a brilliant piece because, trust themes aside, it recognizes how the research team fills the same role(s), something established from the very instant we meet them. Conquering heroes, ready to make premature claims and defenses. MacReady plays on a chess computer,…

• HELLFIGHTER

★★★★★ Added by HELLFIGHTER

One of the greatest horror films ever made. SUPERIOR efx and story line. Excellent acting. The movie is a nightmare of paranoia. Isolated by location, weather, temperature and distance add to that the claustrophobia of a small research camp, in close quarters with something you dont even want to TOUCH. Not to mention probably the most frightening creature ever created. Seemingly unstoppable and with advanced intelligence, the creature is a fearsome entity on a level of ferocity hard to imagine. Great portrayals by the cast and great direction by a master. NO CGI. Amazing efx.

• Batemon _KTT

★★★★★ Added by Batemon _KTT

I knew it would be good, but this exceeded my expectations.

• Jeff Williams

★★★★½ Rewatched by Jeff Williams 16 Apr, 2015

"Chariots of the Gods, man. They practically own South America. I mean, they taught the Incas everything they know."

• meatbag

★★★½ Added by meatbag

So I guess this year I'm just gonna watch Kurt Russell's filmography.

Holy shit. HOLY SHIT! I wasn't expecting the movie to be this graphic...Or for it to look so good! Like, this came out three years after "Alien" and the effects are 54645882348x better.

Nobody acts rationally in this movie though and that is v, v frustrating for me. Like, I understand the panic when they realize that any of them could be the Thing and they realize…

• SEC Movies

★★★★ Watched by SEC Movies 11 Apr, 2015

John Carpenter's 'The Thing' is a stunning horror film that features some of the greatest practical effects in film history. Carpenter once again proves that he is one of the greatest directors when it comes to the horror genre because the atmosphere he provides is just incredible. You have no clue who "The Thing" actually is and that just makes the film even more compelling. In a lot of ways I actually found the man versus man element more compelling…