• JesseSP

★★★★★ Rewatched by JesseSP 20 Oct, 2014

I've seen it so many times, and I still love it. This and the original TCM are the two horror films which still feel new to me, every time. Easily John Carpenter's best film.

• Caleb Herring

★★★★★ Watched by Caleb Herring 01 Oct, 2014

John Carpenter's best?

• Chris Krajci

★★★★★ Rewatched by Chris Krajci 20 Oct, 2014 1

Lately I've been getting swept up in this new Ebola craze everyone's been talking about, and just to make sense of the world I thought I'd pop this masterpiece in to give me some perspective on life, death, and the universe.

Honestly, if you've seen it you know why it's good, you don't need me to go through all the points. If you haven't seen it, well... you need to. Also, I can assume if you haven't seen it, you…

• Jack Dignan

★★★★½ Added by Jack Dignan

The Thing can be a little slow, but it's still an absolutely terrifying movie with outstanding direction from John Carpenter and a brilliant performance by Kurt Russell. That tension, man, that tension.

• rachaelsara

Added by rachaelsara

Like any novice horror movie watcher, I went into this movie expecting to be jumping out of my seat at various surprise scares. The Thing proved to be entirely different. The movie is a slow descent into insanity, the cast dragging you along with them through their fight against the Thing in the torturous arctic winter. The somewhat gory scenes and the shots of the Thing itself were a little gut-wrenching for me (those with exceedingly weak stomachs, be warned), but it was nothing a blanket couldn't hide. Overall, the horror was driven by plot more than anything, which can sometimes be scarier than anything else.

• Shayne Bock

★★★★ Rewatched by Shayne Bock 18 Oct, 2014

2014 October Horror Series
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Horror, for me, isn't defined by the scares. Nor the setpieces, nor the weapon wielding antagonist. It's the atmosphere. The narrative.

John Carpenter's The Thing stands as a horror classic for this very reason. From the beginning of this film to the end, it maintains this composed, matter-of-fact tone that almost asks, "is this right? You decide." It works as a way for the audience to put themselves into the situation unfolding before them without…

• Gabriel Lewis

★★★★★ Added by Gabriel Lewis

While The Thing is scary, I think the true terror of the movie is Wilford Brimley without a mustache.

• Chad Turner

★★★★½ Added by Chad Turner

Carpenter's best. Classic Kurt Russell action/horror. Carpenter's score is aces, too.

• Roger Potersnak

★★★★★ Rewatched by Roger Potersnak 19 Oct, 2014

Still the reigning champ of horror flicks for my money, I saw the thing on the big screen for the first time and it played very well.

• Dan D.

★★★★★ Rewatched by Dan D. 18 Oct, 2014

Hoop-tober Film #23 (of 31)

John Carpenter. Dean Cundey. Ennio Morricone (this score got nominated for a Razzie award, which goes to show how fucking stupid those awards are). Rob Bottin. Bill Lancaster & John W. Campbell Jr. Kurt Russell. Kurt Russell's hat. Keith David. Wilford motherfucking Brimley. All working at the very apex of their abilities. The greatest practical effects ever. One of the great final lines in cinema history. A perfect horror movie.

• Robert Berlin

★★★★★ Rewatched by Robert Berlin 17 Oct, 2014 5

Spooky Scary Horrorthons - Film #16

The term timeless is being thrown around a lot, but John Carpenter's "The Thing" hasn't actually aged a single second in 32 years. The masterful use of godlike practical effects and impeccable suspense is something that is rarely seen in the world of cinema at such an impressive level.

The story centers around a group of burly men (including a heavily bearded Kurt Russell and my #1 man crush Keith David) working at a…

• Tim Kunz

★★★★★ Rewatched by Tim Kunz 18 Oct, 2014

This film will never not be creepy.