• Paul Robinson

★★★★★ Rewatched by Paul Robinson 18 Dec, 2014

This super tense Sci-Fi success is one of my all time favourite films. Scientists in the Antarctic discover a shape-shifting alien that assumes the appearance of the people that it kills. This film has some stunning physical effects and make up that still dazzle in today's CGI heavy world of effects. Horror, paranoia and down right terrifying. The Thing is an amazing bit of Horror history. Watch this.

• Glorbes

★★★★★ Rewatched by Glorbes 18 Dec, 2014

Much like Ridley Scott's Alien, The Thing gets a whole lot of mileage out of isolation, regular joes, and a terrible sci-fi monster. Without a doubt this John Carpenter's most accomplished film, and seems to roll along effortlessly and without a moment wasted. It is terrifying, well-acted, atmospheric, and has astonishing practical effects work by Rob Bottin that I would argue could not be matched by any amount of CGI. This movie is a visceral experience, and is among the best science-fiction/horror hybrids ever made.

• John Kelly

★★★★½ Rewatched by John Kelly 04 Nov, 2014

“I dunno what the hell's in there, but it's weird and pissed off, whatever it is.”

I love this film so much.

• oobawa

★★★★½ Rewatched by oobawa 14 Dec, 2014 1

Adventures in the DVD Wallet #8

To be honest, what makes The Thing work so well is that, were you to take out all of the visual effects and gore, you’d still have a great horror movie. Think about it—there are myriad sources of psychological terror to be found in the film: loss of identity, loss of trust, isolation, paranoia, survival instinct versus the needs of the greater good, alien-possessed dogs, Wilford fucking Brimley…you know, all your classical elements for…

• alf025237

★★★★ Added by alf025237

um clássico maravilhoso de John Carpenter depois de Halloween. ótima história que te prende do começo ao fim.

• Isaiah Bull

★★★★★ Rewatched by Isaiah Bull 15 Dec, 2014

The Thing is an absolute master at its creation of suspense and paranoia. The effects still hold up and will always look better and be more effective than the new film's CGI rubbish. Also, fuck... Kurt Russell man. You can't go wrong.

• Ned Ryerson

★★★½ Watched by Ned Ryerson 14 Dec, 2014

67/100

A competently made, fairly effective monster movie. Nothing more, nothing less. The guys cooped up in the base station, turning on each other, and the creature grotesquely mutating inside their bodies, unbeknownst to them 'till it happens - it contributes to a palpable, almost tangential sense of dread. But are people really losing their shit that much over The Thing? That Ennio Morricone score, though...

• Karine Reis

★★★★★ Rewatched by Karine Reis 11 Dec, 2014

First goddamn week of winter.

• Jaume Vaquer

★★★★★ Rewatched by Jaume Vaquer 11 Dec, 2014 1

Volver a ver una de tus películas favoritas en el cine donde se estrenó hace 22 años con la sala con lleno absoluto (era gratuito; lo montaba una asociación de aficionados a la ciencia ficción, terror y fantasía de mi ciudad) junto a amigos de esa época es una experiencia impresionante.
    El perro corriendo por la nieve, la música palpitante de Ennio Morricone, la cabeza con patas de araña o el momento de reanimación cardiaca...
    Brutal.
    Y de camino a casa me di cuenta de que este film no pasaría el test Bechdel.
    Lo que demuestra que el test Bechdel no me importa una mierda.

• Robert Geyer

★★★★½ Watched by Robert Geyer 11 Dec, 2014

Damn, this movie was brilliant.
    It leaves so many questions to me...

• circumaural

★★★★ Watched by circumaural 10 Dec, 2014

Finally watched The Thing. Felt like an old X-files episode to me which was cool, then went way beyond when the thing started doing it's thing - crazy, creative and classicly 1980s horrific visual effects (they don't make them like this anymore, do they?) Not scary just imaginative and weird. Kurt Russell is a bad ass. I liked the use of the dog as a character during the set-up. Another link to the X-files is the ancient ship in the ice idea - I think The Thing had to be a major influence on the creators of that show. Anyway, The Thing definitely entertains!

• Mark P

★★★★★ Rewatched by Mark P 06 Dec, 2014

A masterpiece, plain and simple.