• Baz Film

★★★★★ Rewatched by Baz Film 30 Oct, 2014

Film 30 of #31DaysofHorror

My review will never be as good as yours. I am not sure I can convey like you can how great the film is and how much I love it, but please know that I wanted to write something exciting for you all to read. I wanted to relay how awesome and scary The Thing is, and how well it stands up today, 32-years later. Unfortunately. all that came out was what you're reading.

Great film, bad review.

• Haber345

★★★★½ Rewatched by Haber345 30 Oct, 2014

Hoop-Tober Movie #27

I have seen this movie exactly six times. And I can tell you each time I watched it and why. The fourth time was because a kid I was babysitting wanted to watch a scary movie. He enjoyed it very much. The fifth was because a friend of mine had never seen it, so I said why not. And the sixth is today, where I watched it for this excellent competition. But it was the first three…

• Joseph William Lewis

★★★★★ Rewatched by Joseph William Lewis 30 Oct, 2014

"I'm tired of talkin', Fuchs, I just wanna get up to my shack and get drunk."

Pushes all of my buttons. The Thing's slow-burn horror atmosphere, paranoid thrills, sharp dialogue, earthy performances, and practical effects that remain INCREDIBLE 30+ years later make it the masterpiece that it is. I love this film so much.

• Patrick Burnell

★★★★★ Rewatched by Patrick Burnell 29 Oct, 2014

YEAH FUCK YOU TOO

• Bryan Espitia

★★★★★ Rewatched by Bryan Espitia 30 Oct, 2014 1

Many people would tell you this is Carpenter's best film. While I won't necessarily agree (Halloween is that damn good), The Thing comes awfully close. It's everything a great horror movie should be, and Rob Bottin's special effects are absolutely incredible even 30+ years later. The film is oppressively grim, much more than some of Carpenter's other works, and Morricone's score is one of my favorites. It's easy to see why the film has risen from the ashes (it was a critical and commercial failure back in '82) to become a bona fide classic.

• failious

★★★★½ Added by failious

This movie has so much feel its terrifying.

• Daniel Kibbe

★★★★ Rewatched by Daniel Kibbe 30 Oct, 2014 1

Brilliantly directed and shot, The Thing is a worthy classic that holds up extremely well despite its age. The practical effects are still stellar, and the whole thing is as intense and as paranoid as ever. I'm not sure if this really classifies as a horror film, but if it does, it's certainly one of my favorites.

Also, I have no clue as to why this was nominated for a Razzie for "worst musical score."

• Steve Grzesiak

★★★★★ Rewatched by Steve Grzesiak 30 Oct, 2014 7

"You will not be saved by the Holy Ghost...." - The Complete Carpenter Project

I know I said I was going to do Argento, but sometimes I need a bit of familiarity in my film viewing on nights when I'm feeling like plop. I'll do Dario next!

I thought I'd reviewed The Thing more than once, but apparently not! I didn't even write a proper review last time, I just wrote a list of complaints. And if you think that's…

• Alfredo

★★★★ Watched by Alfredo 29 Oct, 2014

In what was undoubtedly a great summer for cinema, John Carpenter's The Thing hit theaters two weeks after Steven Spielberg's E.T. and THE SAME DAY as Ridley Scott's Blade Runner. The least popular of all three is still considered a horror classic, a beautifully shot adventure that pits a group of scientists against an parasitic alien capable of taking over the planet through violence and mimicry.

"If I was an imitation --a perfect imitation-- how would you know if it…

• Nathan Anderson

★★★★★ Added by Nathan Anderson

31 Days of Horror: #29

Accompanying Illustration:
    nathanandersonart.tumblr.com/post/101285191509/31-days-of-horror-29-film-the-thing-year

The Thing is not only John Carpenter’s best film (in my opinion) and among the best horror movies ever made, but among my favorite movies of any genre. Some of the most memorable creature effects of any film ever made and a non-stop thrill ride. Along with Cronenberg’s The Fly, it is one of a scant few films where the remake surpassed the original (also in my opinion).

• JC13

★★★★½ Rewatched by JC13 28 Oct, 2014

Film #48 of JC13's I Do Believe I Just Shit Myself September/October Horror Marathon

"I dunno what the hell's in there, but it's weird and pissed off, whatever it is."- Clark

I've already reviewed this film so I figured I'd just list some of my thoughts:

- Kurt Russell is a badass
    - The Practical effects are fucking amazing
    - Great atmosphere throughout
    - Gotta love that ambiguous ending
    - Ennio Morricone is the motherfucking man
    - Just as good the second time

8.5/10

• Willie Krischke

★★★ Watched by Willie Krischke 29 Oct, 2014

Not exactly scary, but there's some pretty great gross-out effects. Kurt Russel wears a silly hat, but his beard his awesome. More like "Aliens" than "Alien" - I was expecting more psychological horror, but there's no time for it to build.