• James Gentile

★★★★ Added by James Gentile

I had stayed away from the Thing for years assuming it was little more than a genre piece for horror fans. Instead I found the film mostly concerned itself with building a tone and mood of isolation that I really enjoyed. The mystery is unraveled at a perfect pace, the suspense is excellently portrayed, and the characters all behave logically to the situation. And yet I have to admit, I still couldn't avoid the sense of being taken out of…

• onelinereviews

★★★★★ Rewatched by onelinereviews 22 Nov, 2014

Essential sci-fi horror viewing.

• André Veiby

★★★★½ Added by André Veiby

Classic. Cool story and outstanding visual effects. Great movie, and there is norwegian people in it!(for like 5 minutes, but YEA!) Really creepy and mysterious. Watch it

• Nick

★★★★★ Added by Nick

John Carpenter's "The Thing" presents a unique kind of horror. Not only is it frightening and disturbing for all of the typical reasons a horror movie is--but it also leaves the viewer with a constant sense of claustrophobia. You NEVER feel safe. You never know who or what has been infected by The Thing. And after having seen this movie somewhere in the vicinity of ten times in my life, I can still watch it today and not remember who…

• Phil

★★★½ Added by Phil

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

• Andy Lunn

★★★★★ Rewatched by Andy Lunn 12 Nov, 2014

Was difficult not to follow a viewing of Escape From NY with this the following night. Whereas Escape has a cast to die for, this has some less familiar faces amongst the likes of Russell, Keith David, Wilfred Brimley and the legendary Donald Moffatt.

The big thing in this one, is the amazing Rob Bottin practical effects. I think one of the characters says it best when following a particularly outlandish moment of horror, he exclaims "You gotta be fucking kidding!"

It's still unbelievable to watch what unfolds in front of your eyes, even 30 odd years on. A must see.

• Reelz

Rewatched by Reelz 13 Nov, 2014 5

Music for your reading pleasure

"That thing wanted to be us!"

Eight times.

It’s been eight times that I've made the perilous trek into the freezing and harsh setting of Antarctica.

It’s been eight times that I've tried my damnedest to try and analyze the often complex structure that this movie builds as soon as the title card hits the screen.

It’s been eight times that I pick up on small key events or pieces of dialogue that I have…

• Heljar Wilhelmsen

★★★★★ Watched by Heljar Wilhelmsen 14 Nov, 2014

Desolate winter,
    Unknown terror
    Blood covered snow

(*I wish there existed more film like this one in our world)

• Troy Taylor

★★★ Watched by Troy Taylor 09 Nov, 2014

An 80s horror movie that's special effects hold up pretty well, and if that's not enough, it actually has a pretty good story line and theme.

Beyond 'The Thing' being about a crazy alien that has eaten life forms all over the universe and can morph into this bloody, tenticlally thing you can only kill by catching on fire (maybe? maybe not?), this movie is claustrophobic and examines what a group of men do when they have to stay together…

• Eugene Chase Ensz

★★★★ Added by Eugene Chase Ensz

Alright, now thats a little messed up.

I just finished watching this flick. So of course, Im going to go see what other people think about the movie before I write about it.

When the film first came out, it was considered a horrible movie. Not a very good one. People called it gross and a barf-bag movie. Which I can totally see. This was quite disgusting. Multiple times I really just looked away because it was just straight up…

• Devarsi Ghosh

★★★½ Watched by Devarsi Ghosh 13 Nov, 2014

I badly wanted to LIKE this movie A LOT because I had vague memories of the 'thing' since when I saw it as a kid. They have haunted me ever since and I was really expecting something as good as Alien which it wasn't. What's more disappointing is that it could have been much better but *sigh*
    Still a pretty good sci-fi horror film.

• Garin W

★★★★★ Added by Garin W

the john carpenter masterpiece.