• Michael Williams

★★★★★ Watched by Michael Williams 26 Feb, 2015

Finest black & white western I've seen and the greatest joke ever told.

The old man is the best, reminds me of my grandad. This picture has everything you want from the western genre except for maybe a beautiful leading lady, but who needs'em. It has friendship, betrayal, success, underdogs, wisdom, stupidity, evil, loss and humour in the funniest way. Unexpectedly are great film, will definitely watch it again soon!

Should of been called, The Crazy, The Saint & The Wise.

• brokim

★★★★★ Watched by brokim 19 Feb, 2015

There Will Be Dobb(s)

• Ian Salsbury

★★★½ Watched by Ian Salsbury 19 Feb, 2015 3

This is a pretty bleak tale of greed, corruption and betrayal as two down on their luck men go off with an old timer (who talks so fast my ears often had trouble keeping up!) in search of gold. Bogart is incredible, the film looks great and there is an effective, brooding sense of despair permeating the whole movie. I can see why so many hold it in such very high regard but I wasn't entirely captivated. I admit to…

• Mikael Stånggren

★★★★½ Watched by Mikael Stånggren 19 Feb, 2015

Of all the hearts of all the cinephiles in all the world, this golden oldie had to walk into mine. I felt the same rush discovering this film as I did when I once rummaged through some old belongings and found a coin worth 500 dollars.

John Huston's classic cautionary tale is that much greater of a treasure though. Especially with Bogart playing Gollum so well. If rated in carats instead of stars, I'd give it a solid 22/24. Pretty shiny that is, much like that coin of mine.

• Boggy Creek

★★★★ Watched by Boggy Creek 18 Feb, 2015

When a title as great as The Treasure of the Sierra Madre bobbles around in your head for an extent of time, nothing but adventure adventure adventure is wildly anticipated. Hell this flick has the words Bogart, Treasure and John Huston on the poster. So to say the film isn't the dream I desired is a slap in the face. Anticipations have a way of getting under your skin. And reality is afar.

But it doesn't go without saying that…

• Patrick Mullen

★★★½ Watched by Patrick Mullen 16 Feb, 2015

This is a really simple story of how greed corrupts told pretty well by director John Huston. I think it might actually be too simple.

Humphrey Bogart and Walter Huston certainly are great in this film, with Huston even winning an Oscar. I think the first act is a little weak, as the film takes too long to set up its characters. The ending is also kind of weak, come to think of it.

The middle of the film is when it's the strongest. It's exciting and suspenseful.

• Tyler Foster

★★★★ Watched by Tyler Foster 27 Sep, 2014

Bogart is so good at playing despicable I almost disliked watching the movie, because I so want him to be the cool hero.

• Michelle Buchman

★★★★½ Watched by Michelle Buchman 14 Feb, 2015

"You know, the worst ain't so bad when it finally happens. Not half as bad as you figure it'll be before it's happened."

John Huston knows human beings better than most of us ever will.

• Gordo

★★★★★ Rewatched by Gordo 24 May, 2011

One of Bogart's best roles...if Casablanca is 1A this is 1B. Such a convincing portrayal of one's decent into madness and paranoia.

• Andy Fish

★★★★ Watched by Andy Fish 14 Feb, 2015

Bleaker than you'd expect. Approaching The Mist level. Walter Huston is superb. The Wild Bunch owes a great debt. As does Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.

A true classic.

• Jessica Bowman

★★★★ Watched by Jessica Bowman 04 Apr, 2014

The next movie on my American Film Institute list was #38 - The Treasure of the Sierra Madre starring Humprey Bogart, Tim Holt and Walter Huston. The only thing I knew about this film prior to watching was this is the film that Mel Brooks got the whole "We don't need no stinkin' badges!" thing from. With my general attitude about westerns, I wasn't too excited to watch this film.

Fred Dobbs (Bogart) is a poor American living in the…

• Shawna of the Shire

★★★★ Watched by Shawna of the Shire 11 Feb, 2015

Karma! A classic tale of paranoia and deceit. Bogey at his very best, Walter Huston excellent too.