• Sven Rump

★★★★★ Watched by Sven Rump 26 Jul, 2015

"If ya know what's good for ya, ya won't monkey around with Fred C. Dobbs."

Humphrey Bogart and Tim Holt are two down on their luck Americans stuck in a small Mexican town trying to get the odd job here and there and if not just plain beg to get by. Their ambitions change when they meet Walter Huston's Howard and learn about the what's what when it comes to searching for gold. The three men make plans and set…

• Billy Fragkos

★★★★½ Watched by Billy Fragkos 29 Jul, 2015

Well acted, beautifully filmed and smartly written, "The Treasure of the Sierra Madre" is a great and darkly humorous journey into the darkest side of the human soul, followed by sharp dialogues and a memorable turn from Humphrey Bogart.

• looyorm

★★★★★ Watched by looyorm 25 Jul, 2015

Sometimes I feel like my whole life is like that moment when Humphrey Bogart becomes symbolically consumed by flame. Pure existential terror.

• Jaime Rebanal

★★★★★ Rewatched by Jaime Rebanal 20 Jul, 2015

No matter how much a guy like myself loves an actor like Humphrey Bogart there's simply no denying just how much I simply despised his character in this film. But even with that said that's part of what makes this John Huston classic interesting to watch, to see just how much longer it will take him before he succumbs to his own greediness. This isn't a film to be viewed as just an ordinary adventure fare but what makes it…

• Zacky J

★★★★½ Added by Zacky J

Move over Humphrey Bogart, there's a new sheriff in town and his name is Walter Huston. This strapping young buck just wrapped his breakout film, the brilliant Treasure of the Sierra Madre, and gives a performance that is sure to make him stand out among this new crop of Hollywood actors. The man can do it all: dance, smile, look for gold, and, of course, blaze that sweet ass green tree leaf evergreen. The dude smokes heavy mad doobies and…

• Hershal Whiteman

★★★★½ Watched by Hershal Whiteman 18 Jul, 2015

Sad fact but I have not seen many Bogie films in my life so any chance I get to add to that small number is appreciated. Here, as a desperate treasure hunter, he expertly portrays a man succumbing to greed and paranoia. It's not just the way he talks or what he says but the look in his eyes. He's clearly a dangerous man but his partners are desperate men themselves willing to get in bed with a snake knowing…

• Nick Russo

★★★★ Watched by Nick Russo 16 Jul, 2015

This isn't John Huston's movie. This isn't Humphrey Bogart's movie. This is John Huston's father's movie; it's Walter Huston's through and through. He steals the screen right from Bogie's road-weary face. His squinting eyes and quick-fire delivery in nearly every scene had me laughing all movie long. I love how his son, John, let him take the lead during the group scenes with the three main characters. He outworked Bogart, and Bogart seemed to me a good sport about it, ceding the center stage to Walter Huston.

This is a fun movie. I recommend it to my 11 Letterboxd friends.

• Nick Fury

★★★★ Added by Nick Fury

Bogart and Walter Houston play at each other with iconic performances that prove to be the highlight of each man's career. Bogart in particular is near maniacal as Dobbs, a paranoid leech to the bone. Tim Holt (who looks remarkably like Russel Crowe in this movie) brings the perfect balance with his part to this trio of adventurers. The Mexican locales enhance the picture, but the production design doesn't let down either. Like There Will be Blood and Trespass, this movie is a cinematic essay on the evils of greed that is not to be missed.

• Arya Harsono

★★★½ Watched by Arya Harsono 08 Jul, 2015

Makes me want to play Red Dead Redemption again.

• drpritch

★★★ Watched by drpritch 04 Jul, 2015

A real entertainment that doesn't feel very dated. Bogart lives up to expectations.

• Yuri90

★★★★ Watched by Yuri90 03 Jul, 2015

26.

Un film con un gran senso dell'umorismo. E' anche semi-educativo visto come è stato messo in luca la corruttibilità dell'animo umano. Proprio niente male...non si poteva pretendere di più da un film che racconta di cercatori d'oro.

• Daniel Kibbe

★★★★ Watched by Daniel Kibbe 30 Jun, 2015

guess they should've been a little more sincere when they were thanking that mountain.