• Brian J. "Tyrannorabbit" Wright

★★★★ Watched by Brian J. "Tyrannorabbit" Wright 25 Apr, 2015

Bogey starts this movie as a down-n-out shitbag - one of the first things we see him do is throw a drink into a little boy's face - and only gets downer and outer as it goes on; for a movie about a guy getting destroyed by greed he doesn't seem like he's got much left to destroy, but I guess that just means that you've gotta dig deeper and deeper to find something. This guy's got douchebag built into…

• Devon Seltzer

★★★★½ Watched by Devon Seltzer 19 Apr, 2015 3

***Continuing My Education: Lesson #63***

They say money is the root of all evil. When I was young, I never understood this phrase, after all, when I was sixteen I had a fun job with a steady paycheck and no real responsibilities, so I was free to just have fun buying DVDs, DVDs, and a few more DVDs. However, with age comes clarity and my view on the world has changed drastically, now I can see what an evil, corrupting…

• qarmstrong

★★★★★ Added by qarmstrong

There is a complaint sometimes charged to John Huston that the only thing holding him back from being one of the great directors is the lack of a visual style. Well, I am here to tell you that he is a great director and he has a distinct visual style. That style just happens to be almost invisible. Here’s the amazing thing about this movie: it is as close to pure storytelling as I think I’ve ever seen. Any visual…

• Michael Matthews

★★★★★ Added by Michael Matthews

If there's a better movie made in Hollywood in the 1940's, I've yet to see it.

• philbertgrape

★★★★★ Rewatched by philbertgrape 19 Apr, 2015

Is this the greatest movie of all time?

• thegambler

★★★ Added by thegambler

Huston reveals his intent prematurely, and thus weakens the impact of his protagonist's deterioration.

• Chase Eiland

★★★★★ Watched by Chase Eiland 15 Apr, 2015

One of the best movies I've ever seen. Spectacularly suspenseful and a remarkably rich story. "Conscience. What a thing."

• Andy F.

★★★★½ Rewatched by Andy F. 14 Apr, 2015

My dad's favorite movie- I'm surprised how much I remember of it and the last time I saw it was when I was pretty young. My dad always laughed hard at the scene where he tries to put his hat back on after his haircut and it doesn't fit him anymore.

• Klep

★★★★½ Watched by Klep 12 Apr, 2015

Greed makes monsters of men, and Huston makes a monster of Bogie. It was pretty thrilling to watch Dobs' descent into madness, with his face being lit/made up to seem animalistic and crazed. A great morality play that misleads the viewer as to the identity of its protagonist.

• Scott

★★★★ Watched by Scott 13 Apr, 2015

Note: started the day before, watched majority on Monday, the 13th.

Bit of a rollicking little film. While I did enjoy Bogart as the giant jerk of the whole saga, I really gravitated towards the goodness and wisdom of Walter Huston's old timer prospecter.

• Alec Price

★★★★★ Rewatched by Alec Price 06 Mar, 2015 1

John Huston's classic cautionary tale about the way greed corrupts remains one of Hollywood's high watermarks, a prime example of propulsive narrative storytelling, vivid characterisations and irrepresible entertainment, brought to life by one of the finest of all American filmmakers and a cast of titans. Two penniless Americans (Humphrey Bogart and Tim Holt) adrift in Mexico throw in with a canny old-timer (Walter Huston) to prospect for gold, only for paranoia and fear to set in when they strike it…

• JohnAllegretti