• Jacob Carter

★★½ Watched by Jacob Carter 26 Jan, 2015

Just couldn't quite latch onto this one. Bogart's character arc has such a predictable trajectory (once Dobbs reveals the full extent of his selfishness, it seems pretty clear that he is destined for a harsh downfall), and I don't find Huston's ideas concerning wealth and greed to be particularly original/interesting. Still, this film had a way of catching me off-guard with its uncompromising darkness. I did not expect certain scenes to descend into such brutality, though I found it exhilarating when they did. Wish my feelings for those scenes could have been replicated throughout the entire film.

• Mark Ciemcioch

★★★★ Rewatched by Mark Ciemcioch 18 Jan, 2015

Haiku Review:
    No stinkin' review
    here; strong script and cast carry
    movie to great heights.

• Cameron Croston

★★★★½ Watched by Cameron Croston 17 Jan, 2015

A brilliant study of greed and hunger for power. Performances are great all around. The direction is strong. Fantastic film through and through.

• Kenneth_C

★★★★ Rewatched by Kenneth_C 10 Jan, 2015

I can easily understand how Walter Huston won the Oscar for Best Supporting Actor; what I can't comprehend, however, is the fact that Humphrey Bogart wasn't even nominated for his portrayal of the greed-poisoned, increasingly paranoid prospector Fred C. Dobbs. It is some of the finest -- and gutsiest -- work of his career. As for the film itself, I've always found it to be beautifully filmed and intelligently directed, but a tiny bit flaccid. Though never boring, I think a slightly tighter screenplay and a little more "punch" in the editing would have improved it.

• Jason Darby

★★★★★ Added by Jason Darby

There exist two classic films that show the corrupting influence of greed upon the hearts of men. The first is, aptly titled, Greed. The second is this one, a neo-western film that stands as one of the greatest films John Huston ever directed.

The strength of this film is twofold. First, the script is absolutely fantastic, a superb meditation on the affect of both greed and a desolate environment can have on a man's psyche. Huston does a great job…

• Julius

★★★★½ Watched by Julius 10 Jan, 2015

Intense, frightening. Hardly notice Bogart's descend until it's too late.

Gorgeous new digital version.

• Reds Radar

★★★★½ Rewatched by Reds Radar 07 Jan, 2015

Any poor soul who thinks Bogie has no range must see this film immediately.

• ryknight

Rewatched by ryknight 07 Jan, 2015

First time since, I dunno, 8th grade? Even better.

• makalajala

★★★★ Watched by makalajala 07 Jan, 2015

Wonderful performance by Bogart, especially as he descends into a kind of desperate madness. Loved that the movie didn't serve up a typical happy Hollywood ending. A bit hamfisted in a couple places, but overall a very satisfying movie experience.

• Haikal_F

★★★★½ Watched by Haikal_F 05 Jan, 2015

A classic film about the corrosive effect of greed as three desperate men team up to dig for gold in Mexico, and subsequently fall apart as the shiny stuff starts to pile up. The three main actors do great work, with Bogart and Walter Huston (the director's father) being the highlights; the former doing great work showing the precipitous moral decay of a man already on the end of his rope when we meet him, and the latter conveying a…

• ralch

★★★ Rewatched by ralch 20 Dec, 2014

Was this made as a bet or something? Perhaps someone dared John Huston to make a film with as much maniacal laughter as he could put in. The moral dilemma is handled with the deftness of an after-school special, but the scenes of survival, work, and camaraderie are much more solid. Overall, though, Ted D. McCord's magnificent cinematography largely saves this from being an academic exercise.

• Timcop