• Liam Fogarty

★★★½ Watched by Liam Fogarty 10 Feb, 2016 2

Classic film starring Humphrey Bogart as an out of luck and out of pocket man struggling in Mexico, who works out a scheme with his best friend and an old gold prospector to get rich. But greed begins to corrode the bond between the three.

I think to understand the legacy behind the film, you have to look at the films released at the time. The Treasure of the Sierra Madre is sort of a western, but it has nearly…

• Louis-Charles

★★★ Watched by Louis-Charles 07 Feb, 2016

I don't know. Maybe I was expecting too much? It's good, but not that good to me. Kinda long sometimes.

• whynotanna

★★★★★ Rewatched by whynotanna 02 Feb, 2016

one of the greatest endings of all time?

yes. obviously.

• oh_dae_su

★★★★★ Rewatched by oh_dae_su 08 Feb, 2016

A truly great film with tremendous performances, Humphrey Bogart and Walter Houston were never better.

Not much else to say except that it makes a good companion piece for Houston's The Man Who Would Be King with which it share's similar themes; an arduous trip into the wilderness in search of a fortune, and the madness that results.

• nichy6

★★★★ Watched by nichy6 04 Feb, 2016 1

It's an all out romp through America from hard living on 50 cent cots to striking it rich and being the entire legislature for an Indian village--whatever that means.

ToSM is almost a sort of guideline for how to prospect for gold. It's a crying shame that these old timers already scavenged the entirety of the country. You'd be a bit of a lunatic to set out for gold here in the 21st century, but perhaps they were crazy for…

• Jimmy Hughes

★★★½ Watched by Jimmy Hughes 11 Jan, 2016

Great descent into madness from Bogart

• Michael Cartier

★★★★★ Watched by Michael Cartier 01 Feb, 2016

"What a dirty, filthy mind you've got."

"Not dirty, baby. Only I know what kind of ideas even supposedly decent people get when gold's at stake."

• Eric

★★★★★ Watched by Eric 24 Jan, 2016

Articulating the experience of watching The Treasure of the Sierra Madre is a faulty endeavor, so intoxicating it is as a piece of narrative fiction that it all but eschews the need for critical analysis. Many who write about the film discuss it in similar terms. In his glowing review for The Nation, James Agee praised John Huston as, along with Charlie Chaplin, the most talented man working in American film, insisting that The Treasure of the Sierra Madre is…

• Whitney

★★★★★ Rewatched by Whitney 28 Jan, 2016

This is one of the best film commentaries on Depression Era America that I know. It was released in 1948 and set in 1925, so I guess we can just find the middle point and claim it's about 1936, right? ha! But really, money is imaginary and arbitrary, it turns us into immoral automatons, but still no one has enough of it and we're all just ready to kill for a pair of boots. Instead of watching The Big Short, people should watch this movie a million times.

• Zedsdead

★★★★½ Watched by Zedsdead 27 Jan, 2016

Two broke American laborers wandering around Mexico come into some money and partner with an old prospector on a gold-hunting expedition. Harsh terrain, weather, bandits conspire to impede them. But greed turns out to be the greatest threat to the endeavor.

Unexpectedly satisfying. Treasure of the Sierra Madre takes a surprisingly complex look at the nature of greed, showing why the fortune-seekers' paranoia and back-stabbing makes sense even when it's utterly senseless.

Walter Huston is marvelous as the cheerfully grizzled…

• dcmcrystal

Rewatched by dcmcrystal 28 Jan, 2016

I love watching the classics on the big screen. Walter Huston's performance is fantastic and the story is timeless. There are three scenes where Huston's character watches his companion's discussion in total silence. I love those scenes. Thanks to "Fanthom Events" for a great showing. I never met anyone who did not enjoy this film.

• Patrick Dunham

★★★★★ Rewatched by Patrick Dunham 24 Jan, 2016

I first heard of this film through an interview with Paul Thomas Anderson discussing the production of There Will Be Blood. I could be remembering incorrectly, but I believe he said that everyday after shooting he would go home and put on The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, often times falling asleep to it. His praise for the movie was rightly monumental: in everything from blocking, script, characterization, and especially in narrative, the film is brilliant. Every shifting of the…