• Yuri90

★★★★ Watched by Yuri90 03 Jul, 2015

26.

Un film con un gran senso dell'umorismo. E' anche semi-educativo visto come è stato messo in luca la corruttibilità dell'animo umano. Proprio niente male...non si poteva pretendere di più da un film che racconta di cercatori d'oro.

• Daniel Kibbe

★★★★ Watched by Daniel Kibbe 30 Jun, 2015

guess they should've been a little more sincere when they were thanking that mountain.

• MadZack

★★★★★ Rewatched by MadZack 30 Jun, 2015 9

Gee, look! Zack posted yet another five-starred review. Doesn't this guy have any other defining characteristics apart from blind worship and glowing admiration?

Deal with it.

Oh Lordy, how I love this movie. If you thought some of my other reviews were shameless in praise and hyperbole, you ain't seen nothin' yet!

The Treasure of the Sierra Madre is the Jesus Christ of films.

...? What?! That's impossible! I've already made that ridiculous claim about another movie? Oh, well.…

• Jack Rys

★★★★½ Watched by Jack Rys 29 Jun, 2015

Holy shit. The only way this film could have gotten better is if it was in colour. Wow. John Huston kills it with this masterpiece, blows Maltese Falcon out of the water. Great acting, dark characters, and deep concepts, this film was ahead of its time. Wow.

• Nick Sutera

★★★ Watched by Nick Sutera 20 Jun, 2015

To my dismay, it doesn't live up to the hype, at least for me. The bar fight scene was incredible, and raised my hopes for the rest, but it descends into a very predictable "greed corrupts" story-line. I also didn't think Bogart was especially good in the role. He wasn't his normal character, but the difference between his pre-gold and post-gold self wasn't too great.

Walter Houston as the gold prospector was super sweet though.

• John Sant

★★★★ Rewatched by John Sant 26 Jun, 2015

26 June 2015 ★★★★☆

• Josh Frank

★★★★½ Watched by Josh Frank 22 Jun, 2015

Absolute classic. Bogart is a great as ever in this classic piece of movie heaven. Check it out!

• Tim Costa

★★★★ Watched by Tim Costa 20 Jun, 2015

Bogart gets better in this film as it goes along.

• John Sant

★★★ Watched by John Sant 20 Jun, 2015

20 June 2015 ★★★☆☆

• Kjetil K

Watched by Kjetil K 15 Jun, 2015

Film #10 of the "Scavenger Hunt #3" Challenge:
    Task #28: A film featuring an Anti Hero!
    letterboxd.com/naughty/list/scavenger-hunt-3/

• Alex Selby

★★★★½ Watched by Alex Selby 16 Jun, 2015

Funny after 16 years I finally understand a 'Toy Story 2' character reference after seeing this film.

Anyway, this film is a masterclass in character drama and simmering tension by John Huston. Watch it.

• Levi Douma

★★★★★ Added by Levi Douma

It's a story about three men searching for gold. In the process they have to deal with bandits, indians and nature.
    But also an important is the battle for their own sanity.

A story about morals, dreams and obsession with a great sense of humor. (I'm always surprised how well those seemingly opposite things can work effectively together in the western.)

What does the obsession do to a person?
    What is the difference between obsessions and dreams?

This movie was made right where it belongs: in the golden age of Hollywood.

PS: Also a fine example of the redemptive power of laughter.