• Gramercy Riff

★★★ Watched by Gramercy Riff 22 Mar, 2015

A movie about greed. I knew that up front, but it's still weird to use a character early on and recite the whole theme of the rest of the movie. Not the only time the narrative feels kind of chunky. I'm not really a fan of Bogart and his nasal voice. In fact, Huston and Holt play their roles much more natural. All in all not a very smooth ride for me, this classic, but is has a sense of…

• Nat Almirall

★★★★★ Added by Nat Almirall

Having one iconic character is good enough, but two? And six years prior, Tim Holt was George in. The. Magnificent Ambersons. Damn.

• rassoodocks

★★★ Watched by rassoodocks 22 Mar, 2015

Part 13 of my 12 Directors x 2 Unseen Films thingamajig.

The corruption of a person by greed is sometimes a haunting transformation to witness. Yet, Bogart's devolution in The Treasure of the Sierra Madre isn't, mostly because it never feels natural. Instead, it occurs almost out of obligation by the screenwriter. The pacing of his mental collapse is carefully measured out, and too calculated to be truly granular. When it comes down to it, I don't feel the film…

• PatrickRipoll

★★★★ Added by PatrickRipoll

Bogart is great in all the different modes he plays here, but the transitions between them feel so clumsy. Other than that, this is a first rate adventure story. A-

• Flickers in Time

★★★★★ Rewatched by Flickers in Time 20 Mar, 2015

At the moment, I don't have anything fresh to say about this absolute classic. I'll have to think of something for my review on flickersintime.com!

• Jesse B

★★★★★ Rewatched by Jesse B 15 Mar, 2015

One of the better action/adventure films of the 40's

• bmerry

★★★★★ Rewatched by bmerry 14 Mar, 2015

It's hard to take a film away from Humphrey Bogart, but man I think Walter Huston does it. I forgot how astonishingly good he is -- and directed by his son to boot.

• Alex Lovendahl

★★★★ Watched by Alex Lovendahl 14 Mar, 2015

Expanded my feelings on what the genre can offer. My favorite Bogart performance I've seen. Its thematic depth is perhaps not the most exciting, but the emotional treatment and pacing of its content is stellar.

• Kartik Singh

★★★★½ Rewatched by Kartik Singh 13 Mar, 2015

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

A classic tale of greed and folly and how gold can change a man's soul.

Walter Huston's Old Timer character is one of my favorites.

Beautiful black and white cinematography.

Iconic lines like "we don't need no stinking badges".

One of the directorial choices I admire is the use of the Spanish language without subtitles.

I wanted to give this a rewatch after my recent catch up with There Will Be Blood.

I have the double DVD with a slew of bonuses, and I plan to dig into those. The Making Of documentary looks awesome.

• Alex Thompson

★★★★½ Watched by Alex Thompson 12 Mar, 2015

This is not a western. It is not an adventure movie, either. No, The Treasure of the Sierra Madre is a horror film through and through. There's a corrupting force in the world and it works on men's hearts even as they strive to possess it. When Fred Dobbs (Humphrey Bogart) comes into a little cash after being destitute in a Mexican city in 1915, he invites another bum (Tim Holt) and an old prospector (Walter Huston) to go into…

• jadamfu

★★★½ Watched by jadamfu 12 Mar, 2015

they don't make adventure pictures like they used to! bogey is great as a fairly unlikable, desparate dude, as is walter huston. maybe the film is a little racist, but overall I really enjoyed it.

• B G