• Sam Inglis

★★★★★ Watched by Sam Inglis 25 Apr, 2016

As thrilling now as it must have been on release. Truly worthy of its classic reputation.

• sjc4ye

★★★★★ Watched by sjc4ye 25 Apr, 2016

Great story and acting, well shot and directed, great all around movie

• Charlie Walker

★★★★★ Watched by Charlie Walker 23 Apr, 2016

A brilliant film from the performances to the direction, to the script that seems well ahead of it's time, this is a brilliant portrayal of poverty, greed and the corruption of power that greed can lead to. Definitely one of the best movies the 1940s has to offer, and possibly all time. Set in 1920s Mexico, two poor and unemployed Americans meet a gold prospector and join with him to chase gold in central Mexico.

Humphrey Bogart is excellent as…

• Bill Condon

Editing: B-
    Music: B

• Ben Radetski

★★★★½ Watched by Ben Radetski 23 Apr, 2016 2

Excellence across the board. Really love just how raw everything feels, it seems as though contemporary films are too polished, even the ones that make themselves out to be 'gritty'. But alas, there are no clean cuts found in the world of John Huston. Perhaps adventure films have lost their touch, their flavor, they've become so obsessed with the idea of adventure that they have forgotten to let the journey unfold naturally. Insanity, mutiny, greed, betrayal, revenge, The Treasure of…

• Lindsay

★★★★ Watched by Lindsay 21 Apr, 2016

The more I think about the movie the more I like it. Thinking I was heading into a normal Western, the first few scenes with a down and out but a sexy shaggy Humphrey Bogart I thought, yeah I know what this is. But as these things usual go, I was wrong - how was I suppose to know that this was a deeply meditative movie about greed and the dark heart of men. It is playing with the Western theme, the landscape is bleak and claustrophobic and way more noir than western.

It is a beguiling movie that I want to watch again.

• Ajay

★★★★★ Watched by Ajay 20 Apr, 2016

"I know what gold does to men's souls"

One of the greatest films you will ever see.

And will remain so for centuries.

• Daniel Ohlander

★★★★½ Watched by Daniel Ohlander 17 Apr, 2016

John Huston won 2 Oscars for this film, both best director and best screenplay, but the star of this film is his father, Walter Huston who won the Academy Award for best supporting actor in this film. Walter Huston stole every single scene he was in, even such a great and charismatic actor as Humphrey Bogart had no chance versus Huston.

• Soni Triantoro

★★★ Watched by Soni Triantoro 11 Apr, 2016

Rasa takut kehilangan yang berhanyut-hanyut mampu berujung pada keserakahan. Film ini membuat ingatan saya merujuk pada kisah-kisah serial komik Gober Bebek yang kerap meriwayatkan masa mudanya di akhir abad ke-19 sebagai penambang emas. Saya sejatinya kurang punya minat dengan film-film western, apalagi di jaman selawas angkatan Humprey Bogard. Namun, The Treasure of The Sierra Madre malah justru sukses menggali muatan cerita yang terasa segar dibanding deretan film-film western berlayar warna di dekade-dekade setelahnya.

• Moogic

★★★★½ Watched by Moogic 24 Jan, 2016

This is a pretty epic film about gold mining. The plot setup works pretty well, but once they head off into the hills the film really shines. The plot, sets, and acting are all great, though it felt like Bogart's character went in a perhaps overly-extreme direction. Even so, I thought Bogart's acting was really good, and I was surprised to discover he wasn't nominated for a best actor Oscar. What really stands out is Walter Huston's performance. I would easily watch this again just to see his performance again.

• EvanstonDad

★★★½ Added by EvanstonDad

This is an engrossing adventure film from then-still-new-to-the-scene director John Huston, that feels like a "B" movie decked out in art-house trappings. At times, I felt that Huston and company were reaching too far in an attempt to make their film "Important," when really they just should have stuck to entertaining us. It's a film that has been lauded by the critical community as one of the best of all time; I don't know about that, but it has much…

• Mr. Freeze

★★½ Watched by Mr. Freeze 13 Apr, 2016 6

Ugh, I'm getting tired of these mediocre old films. But hey, it's the 100th film I've seen this year. Whoop-de-friggin'-do!