• paulsell

★★★★★ Watched by paulsell 19 Sep, 2014

There are those films that as the credits roll you go "wow" ! And there are those that hit you with the true extent of their greatness a day or two later, this for me was the second type. I suspect this will become one I will enjoy revisiting. Much of that has to do with the magnificence of Walter Huston's character.

• Travis Wagner

★★★★½ Watched by Travis Wagner 19 Sep, 2014

Huston creates such an otherworldly experience that despite it clearly aiming to be a realist work, it is markedly more magical in it is realism. Also Walter Huston is a delight.

• funsohng

Added by funsohng

John Huston carefully examines the deterioration of humanity in this gripping masterpiece supported by great cast.

• Cody Lang

★★★★½ Watched by Cody Lang 15 Sep, 2014

My favorite character was Walter Huston's character and I also liked Kurton. Dobbs was interesting but a little too one-dimensional compared to the rest.

• PitchingBear

★★★ Watched by PitchingBear 09 Sep, 2014

A story with a near perfect ending. This may well be the cornerstone of all treasure hunting movies. While this film seems more dated than others from this era, once the characters are out in the mountains and on the hunt, good luck taking your eyes off the screen.

• Dan

★★★★ Watched by Dan 09 Sep, 2014 2

A great adventure film showcasing dark themes of what greed can do to weak men. Bogart is terrific here, especially once the cracks start forming on his frail psyche and he's muttering to himself alone in the wilderness. Also thought Tim Holt was great as his compatriot Curtin, but Walter Huston stole the show as the elder prospector, Howard. Glad to see he won a deserving Oscar for it.

Not much else to say, it's a certifiable Classic and just…

• Carlos Rodríguez

★★★★★ Watched by Carlos Rodríguez 24 Oct, 2009

The Treasure of the Sierra Madre is a major classic in the adventure genre. Featuring extraordinary performances from Humphrey Bogart (this is possibly my favorite role of his), Walter Huston (director John Huston's father), and Tim Holt, it is a wonderfully entertaining movie and a highly thrilling experience.

This is one of John Huston's most impressive achievements as a filmmaker and it remains one of the most overwhelming explorations of the power of greed and its corrupting nature ever seen…

• Sondre Hareide

★★★★★ Watched by Sondre Hareide 06 Sep, 2014

Now this is movie magic.

• Greg

★★★★½ Added by Greg

It felt like a Western. This role was set up for Bogart to shine (and I don't like watching him generally. The plot was tense .

• mattjk

★★★★½ Watched by mattjk 28 Aug, 2014

I am always a sucker for movies that show the danger of capitalism especially when they are made this good. It always interesting to watch classics like The Treasure of the Sierra Madre because the actual movie ends up being so different than you expected. The small scale and unorthodox structure completely surprised me.

• Lee Saunders

★★★★★ Rewatched by Lee Saunders 24 Aug, 2014

Perfect story & images thankfully captured on celluloid

• Tom Morton

★★★★ Watched by Tom Morton 24 Aug, 2014

I can't really fault anything about The Treasure of the Sierra Madre - Bogart is great in a role that is quite different from the quick-talking antihero I'm used to seeing, Walter Huston is wonderful as the knowledgeable prospector who seems to be able to do pretty much anything twice as well as his younger comrades and the head bandit is absolutely brilliant. It never quite clicked with me though, leaving me feeling like I appreciated it more than I…