• Mark Gubarenko

★★★★½ Watched by Mark Gubarenko 29 May, 2015

• Rich Dolt

★★★½ Watched by Rich Dolt 16 May, 2015

Well-written and directed by John Huston. Holt, Bogart & Huston ( the director's father) give great performances. Good story and lessons to live by as greed is not good.

• earlofportland

★★★★ Watched by earlofportland 13 May, 2015

Gold really does change a man. Greed overtakes and everyone gets what's coming to them. Some end up on top, some right where they started, and some in a ditch in a desert.

• Matt Gaffney

★★★★ Watched by Matt Gaffney 12 May, 2015

Recently got into Westerns and saw this on a bunch of "best" lists. Probably one of the oldest movies I've sat down and watched from start to finish. Holds up extremely well. It's easy to see why Humphrey Bogart was such a big star; he owns the camera whenever he's onscreen. I'm assuming there's a lot this film did that pushed movies forward given how highly it's touted and how well it holds up 65 years later. But even with a lot of that lost on me it's still an entertaining movie.

Oh yeah, and the old man is awesome.

• Blots

★★★★ Watched by Blots 06 May, 2015

‘The Treasure of the Sierra Madre’ unfolds with a Kubrick level of logic and consequence, toying with themes and fate without needing to painfully spell them out. Excellent.

• Jussi Hulkkonen

★★★★★ Rewatched by Jussi Hulkkonen 07 May, 2015

Greed dooms man from the outset in Huston's unforgiving examination of the corrupting influence of man's greed, corroding one's humanity and brotherhood and replacing it with a selfish paranoia. The film's dark portrait of Bogart's descent into homicidal mania is balanced by a fable-like construction which contrasts this dark path with Walter Huston's incorruptible good will. Holt rounds out the film's central trio and adds a fullness to the film's morality, sitting somewhere between Bogart's absolute corruption and Houston's benevolence,…

• GoodBadAndOdd

★★★★ Watched by GoodBadAndOdd 03 May, 2015

Excellent movie about greed and how it can corrupt some men, but leave others untouched. Fine performances all round, but in particular Bogart gives a good turn as a made being driven mad by his obsession with money and suspicions of others thinking the same way as he does.

• Gregory Sahadachny

★★★★★ Rewatched by Gregory Sahadachny 02 May, 2015

Hey guess what? Still amazing!

• Katherine Bolinger

★★★★ Watched by Katherine Bolinger 03 May, 2015

Bogart does a very good crazy. This was much more psychological than I anticipated. Made it more than your average adventure film.

• Brian J. "Tyrannorabbit" Wright

★★★★ Watched by Brian J. "Tyrannorabbit" Wright 25 Apr, 2015

Bogey starts this movie as a down-n-out shitbag - one of the first things we see him do is throw a drink into a little boy's face - and only gets downer and outer as it goes on; for a movie about a guy getting destroyed by greed he doesn't seem like he's got much left to destroy, but I guess that just means that you've gotta dig deeper and deeper to find something. This guy's got douchebag built into…

• Devon Seltzer

★★★★½ Watched by Devon Seltzer 19 Apr, 2015 3

***Continuing My Education: Lesson #63***

They say money is the root of all evil. When I was young, I never understood this phrase, after all, when I was sixteen I had a fun job with a steady paycheck and no real responsibilities, so I was free to just have fun buying DVDs, DVDs, and a few more DVDs. However, with age comes clarity and my view on the world has changed drastically, now I can see what an evil, corrupting…

• qarmstrong

★★★★★ Added by qarmstrong

There is a complaint sometimes charged to John Huston that the only thing holding him back from being one of the great directors is the lack of a visual style. Well, I am here to tell you that he is a great director and he has a distinct visual style. That style just happens to be almost invisible. Here’s the amazing thing about this movie: it is as close to pure storytelling as I think I’ve ever seen. Any visual…