• Mootos

★★½ Added by Mootos

Je ne peux pas renier la beauté des images, la réalisation parfaite, comme la qualité du jeu des acteurs.
    Mais ça ne suffit pas à faire un bon film.
    Ou plutôt... ça ne suffit pas me faire aimer un film.

Le reste... le propos, le scénario, l'ambiance, le contexte/l'univers... le reste ne m'a pas vraiment porté. Quelques scènes, comme globalement les difficultés et les tiraillements qui touchent les enfants sont touchants. Les rapports entre le père, la mère et leurs…

• Joe

★★★ Rewatched by Joe 01 Aug, 2015

Part of my Rewatch List

More ballet or opera than film with ambition no metaphor could adequately describe. Stunningly gorgeous with experimental and thought provoking editing. Still I'm left wanting. For reasons yet understood I can't love Malick's pictures despite many efforts. It feels somehow empty despite the technical prowess. I'd like to love it but there's something missing.

• Ronin

★★★★★ Rewatched by Ronin 01 Aug, 2015

Scavenger hunt #1 ( a film you would want shown at your funeral.)

"The nuns taught us there were two ways through life - the way of nature and the way of grace. You have to choose which one you'll follow."

A boundless film that captures our place in a family, the universe and our connection with God. Few films could capture such rare cinematic beauty that speaks so profoundly to who we are and what our exsistence really is…

• Nate Emery

★★★★½ Rewatched by Nate Emery 01 Aug, 2015

Again, a re-watching of a film I had previously seen and really disliked. There is still a lot about this movie that doesn't quite click for me, but at this point I have a much stronger appreciation for what Malick is doing, the astounding camera work from Lubezki, and the subtle but strong performances from Pitt and Chastain.

• A

★★★★ Rewatched by A 31 Jul, 2015

I actually could do without the voiceovers (probably akin to saying I could do without the multi-angle shots on a John Woo film) and I think the "philosophical" aspects of this are a little Too Much, though really pretty, but it's, of course, very good

• InSession Film

★★★★★ Rewatched by InSession Film 31 Jul, 2015

We may not understand all of life's uncompromising difficulties, but there are bigger truths that can comfort us knowing that our dramas are fleeting compared to the majestic and wondrous stage they take place on.

My experience is almost too difficult to put into words and on a 2nd viewing, with a child on the way, this is one of the most visceral watches I've had in some time.

• Kai D'Artagnan de Bergerac Bologne

★★★★ Watched by Kai D'Artagnan de Bergerac Bologne 30 Jul, 2015

I'm speechless. I'm absolutely without words.

• Leonardo David

★★★★½ Added by Leonardo David

Debo confesar que las películas oníricas y que eligen imágenes visuales y sonoras apropiadas para transmitir sensaciones, me atrapan. Esta historia no cuenta con una trama de mucho sentido ni atas todos los cabos. Pero el impacto que me causó recuerdo haberlo definido como un orgasmo fílmico. Sé que eso suena muy pretencioso, pero así me llegó. No puedo decir que es diferente al resto de la filmografía de Malick, pero por ser la primera que vi, fue la que más se me prendó.

• xallstar

★★★★★ Rewatched by xallstar 29 Jul, 2015

In a time when only few directors specifically aim to create something truly ambitious, Terrence Malick still hopes for nothing less than to direct a masterpiece. The Tree of Life is certainly a visual power-tale poem, something that only the medium of film could achieve.
    While the movie never fully reaches the places it wants to go and lacks strength in the middle secion it probably comes as close to its destination as any picture with similar desires could. For me, its aspiration combined with the strong emotion and true beauty is more than enough.

• M11

★★★★★ Watched by M11 28 Jul, 2015

Speechless. Just like in the film, words are too small to describe the mesmerizing experience I've had watching this work of art. I can't believe it, I feel like the first time I'd watched 2001. Writing a "proper" review after only one view would be a disservice to this masterpiece. To be continued.

• CinemaStation

★★★★½ Watched by CinemaStation 27 Jul, 2015

Some of the most beautiful technical work I've ever seen on screen. Malick is a master filmmaker, but I still don't entirely know how to comprehend this film, its unlike anything I've ever seen.

• Roundstone