• Michael

★★★★ Watched by Michael 11 Jun, 2011

Astonishingly beautiful meditation on life. You may respond with a reverential "Oh, my god" or with a bewildered "What the fuck?" or, likely, a combination thereof but this is undeniably a master filmmaker at ease and in love with his medium. The ending of the film, unfortunately, is a bit hackneyed and does more to obscure than to clarify but, even with that, this is formidable achievement of cinematic art which should be seen on film on the biggest screen you can find.

• itsterrific

★★★★★ Added by itsterrific

Like 2001: A Space Odyssey. But with feelings.

• Quinn Thacker

★★★★½ Added by Quinn Thacker

Can words describe this?

• Ethan

★★★★½ Rewatched by Ethan 16 Aug, 2014

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

• Diego Garrido

★★★★★ Added by Diego Garrido

La mejor película que he visto hasta la fecha (2014). Cada imagen está cuidada, la banda sonora acompaña. Las escenas tienen sentido aunque no compongan una historia al uso. 139 minutos de tener la boca abierta, para mí.

• Doug S.

★★★ Added by Doug S.

Breathtaking cinematography and visuals. I liked the contrast between nature and grace through the parents, but this movie just didn't click for me.

• MK R

★★ Added by MK R

Terrence Malick contemplates his navel so hard that his gaze travels back through his extremely banal baby boomer boyhood all the way to the creation of the Earth and the universe (such is the importance of Terrence Malick). There is musing about "the way of Grace" vs "the way of Nature", a pseudo-spiritualist Hallmark-ism that sounds like something from a New Age cult, and is illustrated by one of the most hilariously pretentious and absurd sequences in film: a predatory…

• keith thomas

★★★★½ Added by keith thomas

although quite sparse plot and dialogue wise, still beautiful. So much like my childhood roaming free and the use of water which I really like.

• Jenn

★★★★★ Rewatched by Jenn 11 Aug, 2014

I don't even know the words to use.

• Brad Stephenson

★★★★★ Rewatched by Brad Stephenson 07 Aug, 2014

The Tree of Life is a masterpiece. Simply beautiful.

• Austin Bryant

★★★★★ Rewatched by Austin Bryant 11 Aug, 2014

... Still my favorite film.

• Tyrion Lannister

★★★★ Watched by Tyrion Lannister 10 Aug, 2014

I don't know how to articulate my feelings about this movie. I also don't know to articulate on the movie itself. It's a wonderful character study and experimental film, but it shys from greatness by having the experimental portion take away some of the fantastic character work.

First off, the movie is absolutely breathtakingly beautiful. Every shot is perfect. The cinematography is so amazing because it feels so natural in it's beauty. All of the lighting feels real. At first…