• etc.

★★★★★ Rewatched by etc. 18 Apr, 2014

I doubt there will ever be another film that haunts me like The Tree of Life does. I would try and put into words what this film means to me, if I at all thought it possible. Maybe someday.

• Roger Joseph Ebert

★★★★★ Added by Roger Joseph Ebert

Terrence Malick's "The Tree of Life" is a film of vast ambition and deep humility, attempting no less than to encompass all of existence and view it through the prism of a few infinitesimal lives. The only other film I've seen with this boldness of vision is Kubrick's "2001: A Space Odyssey," and it lacked Malick's fierce evocation of human feeling. There were once several directors who yearned to make no less than a masterpiece, but now there are only…

• Daniel Charchuk

★★★★½ Rewatched by Daniel Charchuk 29 Jun, 2011

After watching it again, the ending coda feels terribly out of place. I'm not sure what Malick was going for, exactly (but does anyone, really?), but it's far too heavy-handed for such a delicate film.

Still, though, this is a masterful work.

• Daniel Charchuk

★★★★½ Watched by Daniel Charchuk 17 Jun, 2011

It's undeniably beautiful and poetic, but I almost found it too... abstract? Malick has always operated on a level beyond that of conventional narrative cinema, of course, but all his films still told a story. This one is more concerned with moods and thoughts and feelings. Which is fine, but I would've preferred more of a narrative arc (however loose or skeletal) connecting it all together. Even 2001, which this has been oft-compared to, has a definite forward narrative.

But…

• Jack Cox

★★★ Added by Jack Cox

This is a film I'm probably never going to understand and frankly so is everybody because Terrence Malick does not talk in public or give interviews. One of the reviews on here kind of resonated with me when it was talked about as a visual piece. I can tell you without a doubt that regardless of what you think of the overall movie's plot or whatever the hell it is, the film is on par visually with such great movies…

• Charles Johnson

★★★★★ Rewatched by Charles Johnson 20 Apr, 2014

A collage of life and death, love and loss, relationships, creation, nature and religion.

Cinematic, orchestral, artistic, mesmerising, thought-provoking, beautiful. An absolute masterpiece.

• Isaac

★★★★★ Rewatched by Isaac 18 Apr, 2014

Indescribable.

• Nicolas Meise

★★★★★ Added by Nicolas Meise

My first Terrence Malick film. I'm struggling to find words for how I feel about this film after one viewing. Truly unlike anything I've ever seen before.

• Neil Mitchell

★★★★★ Watched by Neil Mitchell 15 Apr, 2014

Beautiful film. Thought provoking and incredibly moving. Not for everyone.

• Viktor Prentovski

★★ Watched by Viktor Prentovski 15 Apr, 2014 7

Guys, how do you like this?
    I tried to watch it 2 years ago, but I deleted the movie after 30 minutes. Now, I managed to watch it. However, I still have the same opinion as before. The Tree of Life is a pointless movie. It has no plot and it is kinda weird. The visuals are marvelous, and the acting is okay, but everything else is bad in my opinion.
    Can you please tell me why you love this movie and have given it a 5 star rating?

• Garrett Smith

★★★ Added by Garrett Smith

The only reason this gets a 3 star review from me is because of it's sheer scope and ambition. The Tree of Life is one of the few films that I can say I was impressed how intellectual it is. However, I was not very entertained nor was I was blown away and Terrence Malick's camera work came off more distracting than beautiful at times. I'm glad films like this are made, but I've yet to be truly in awe of a film like this. Maybe one day.

• noblebeast

Added by noblebeast

Pretty screensavers. Boring and pretentious film