• emu47

★★★★½ Added by emu47

Even for a dirty atheist like myself, watching this film felt like going to church (in a good way). I came out loving my family, my friends, and my life a little bit more. Also, I'm terrified by the universe.

• James Haves

½ Watched by James Haves 28 Jul, 2014 5

I don't understand Terrence Malick.

I don't like Terrence Malick movies.

I'm not going to watch another one.

I went in with an open mind.

I tried to look at it from a lateral perspective and get the symbolism.

I couldn't.

I hated it.

It bored me.

I don't get Terrence Malick.

The images are beautiful but I had no emotional engagement.

I won't use energy to elaborate further.

I don't like it.

• Secretkey

★★★★ Watched by Secretkey 25 Jul, 2014

Ein ganz schwieriges Pflaster von Terrence Malick, welches man vermutlich bloß lieben oder aufs Äußerste hassen kann. Würde man schreiben, dass der Film bloß das Porträt einer Familie aus den 60ern darstellt, müsste man lügen, besteht die erste Hälfte doch fast ausschließlich aus sorgfältig ausgewählten und aneinandergereihten Naturaufnahmen und Kosmosfotografien, welche die Ursprünge unserer Welt, die Suche nach einer Ordnung und unseren Platz als individuelle Menschen in diesem großen Gefüge mit einer schieren Bildgewalt und Wucht symbolisieren. Und auch wenn…

• Shaun

★★★★★ Added by Shaun

Without a doubt, this is the most beautiful film I have ever witnessed. "The Tree of Life" touched my soul and never let go.

• Malleys

★½ Added by Malleys

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

• thelobster

★★★★★ Added by thelobster

Few films can match Malick's scope here. I understand why people don't like this film, but I still am disgruntled by the fact that so many people shrug their shoulders when a director releases a work of art of this caliber. Truly, a beautiful movie that transcends the medium. It's self-indulgent, perhaps, it may be pretentious (I don't think so), but it represents such a strong, incredible vision that it must be applauded in every respect. People don't make movies like this.

There's spiritual waves that run through The Tree of Life. It's unlike anything else out there.

• Josh Larsen

★★★★★ Rewatched by Josh Larsen 23 Jul, 2014 11

With each repeat viewing, this inches closer to my all-time top ten. Here's my original review: www.larsenonfilm.com/tree-of-life-the

• Lee Towler

★★★★½ Watched by Lee Towler 23 Jul, 2014

This is an intimidating piece of work to write about. It's hard to write about how brilliant this film is without sounding pretentious thus leaving the few people reading this thinking that The Tree of Life is nothing more than some artsy fartsy nonsense to avoid. It's been pretty polarising as it is and I would completely understand anyone who feels it is pretentious. Any piece of art that has been made for the artist themselves is self-indulgent to some…

• Stefan Griens

★★★½ Watched by Stefan Griens 22 Jun, 2014

Universal drama. Malick tries to tell the story of how everything is connected and he really gets at something. However, Malick is just not that good with plot, so when the focus shifts from the random vignettes to the traditional family drama it comes to a halt. There are a lot of beautiful shots in there, if only it came together better, because the bookends are pretty spectaculair.

• Aleksandar Kirkovski

★★★★★ Rewatched by Aleksandar Kirkovski 23 Jul, 2014

A still from the film

Every now and then there is a special gem that you see, that resonates with you and moves you that much that you think about everything there is about this world. In Malick's career, I can say every film did that for me, but nothing can be compared with the ambitiousness of The Tree of Life. It's pretty hard to pin down the best from Malick, but at least for me, this is the pinnacle…

• Aaron King

★★★★★ Rewatched by Aaron King 22 Jul, 2014

Every time I watch this film, I feel like I gain something new and fall in love with this film all over again. the pictures, the colors, and the acting just take me and make me something else for the 2 hours and 18 minutes. I feel like Jessica Chastain can do anything in life simply with her acting. She needs to win an Oscar soon and deserves every kudos that she had gotten in her life.

• RagingTaxiDriver

★★★★½ Rewatched by RagingTaxiDriver 21 Jul, 2014 7

Perhaps, the most ethereal film of all-time.