• A

★★★★ Rewatched by A 31 Jul, 2015

I actually could do without the voiceovers (probably akin to saying I could do without the multi-angle shots on a John Woo film) and I think the "philosophical" aspects of this are a little Too Much, though really pretty, but it's, of course, very good

• InSession Film

★★★★★ Rewatched by InSession Film 31 Jul, 2015

We may not understand all of life's uncompromising difficulties, but there are bigger truths that can comfort us knowing that our dramas are fleeting compared to the majestic and wondrous stage they take place on.

My experience is almost too difficult to put into words and on a 2nd viewing, with a child on the way, this is one of the most visceral watches I've had in some time.

• Kai D'Artagnan de Bergerac Bologne

★★★★ Watched by Kai D'Artagnan de Bergerac Bologne 30 Jul, 2015

I'm speechless. I'm absolutely without words.

• Leonardo David

★★★★½ Added by Leonardo David

Debo confesar que las películas oníricas y que eligen imágenes visuales y sonoras apropiadas para transmitir sensaciones, me atrapan. Esta historia no cuenta con una trama de mucho sentido ni atas todos los cabos. Pero el impacto que me causó recuerdo haberlo definido como un orgasmo fílmico. Sé que eso suena muy pretencioso, pero así me llegó. No puedo decir que es diferente al resto de la filmografía de Malick, pero por ser la primera que vi, fue la que más se me prendó.

• xallstar

★★★★★ Rewatched by xallstar 29 Jul, 2015

In a time when only few directors specifically aim to create something truly ambitious, Terrence Malick still hopes for nothing less than to direct a masterpiece. The Tree of Life is certainly a visual power-tale poem, something that only the medium of film could achieve.
    While the movie never fully reaches the places it wants to go and lacks strength in the middle secion it probably comes as close to its destination as any picture with similar desires could. For me, its aspiration combined with the strong emotion and true beauty is more than enough.

• M11

★★★★★ Watched by M11 28 Jul, 2015

Speechless. Just like in the film, words are too small to describe the mesmerizing experience I've had watching this work of art. I can't believe it, I feel like the first time I'd watched 2001. Writing a "proper" review after only one view would be a disservice to this masterpiece. To be continued.

• CinemaStation

★★★★½ Watched by CinemaStation 27 Jul, 2015

Some of the most beautiful technical work I've ever seen on screen. Malick is a master filmmaker, but I still don't entirely know how to comprehend this film, its unlike anything I've ever seen.

• Roundstone

★★★★★ Added by Roundstone

hits on hits

• Djoey

★★½ Watched by Djoey 27 Jul, 2015 11

Sorry.

I've been working my way through Terrence Malick's filmography and I've at least enjoyed every film so far. Today, I finally watched The Tree of Life, a film that takes all the worst Malick tropes to the max. The result is a feature undeniably ambitious, well-made and visually beautiful but ultimately downright masturbatory. Overlong and indulgent, it plays like a parody of his previous work, complete with his trademarks such as inaudible, whispering narrators waxing philosophical and a slow,…

• Thiago Minhoca

★★★★½ Watched by Thiago Minhoca 21 Jun, 2015

Só ouvi falar mal desse filme por muitas pessoas, mas enxerguei exatamente o contrário. O filme é fabuloso. Claro, não é um filme trivial. É um filme quase que espiritual/universal. Reflexivo é a palavra que eu utilizaria. A fotografia é de encher os olhos (e descubro que é o foda do Lubezki). É uma pena que muitos não tenham enxergado a grandiosidade que é esse filme. Alguns buscam filmes apenas como modo de entretenimento mesmo.

• Patrick

★★★★★ Rewatched by Patrick 27 Jun, 2015

After years of hearing nothing but bad things about this film, I finally decided to take the plunge after being a fan of Malick's previous work; Badlands and The Thin Red Line. I don't think I've ever come across a film that has resonated with me so much. I can't say I completely relate to the story, but it just felt so perfect and really touched me. A film that transcends the medium. Utterly breathtaking.

• Sean Klaus

★★★★★ Added by Sean Klaus

With the best visuals, shot compostion, cinematography, sound mixing and editing, direction, and practical effects of all time in any film of television production, The Tree of Life" is Terrence Malick's best film, as well as an emotional, imaginitive, masterful swan song of life and death.