• ethanh

Added by ethanh

I saw this film for the first time a few months ago after hearing pretty great things about it. One of the essential 90's movies, as it's been said. As I was watching it, I was confused to no end. Almost right from the get-go everything felt unnecessarily rushed and compacted, and that didn't change through the entire film. By the time the character of Keyser Soze was introduced I was so lost that I had almost completely checked out…

• Sean Curley

★★★ Watched by Sean Curley 24 May, 2016

Bryan Singer's directorial breakthrough is a testament to the effect that spoilers can have on a filmgoing experience, as despite its obvious competence and craft, I found it very difficult to become invested in the proceedings when watching for the first time when I knew the ending via osmosis. For most films I don't think knowing the ending is necessarily a problem, but The Usual Suspects is one of the breed that are uniquely vulnerable, given how it impacts everything that came before. Even with that limitation, it is an entertaining viewing experience, but I could not view it as anything more than that.

• Rinku

★½ Watched by Rinku 24 May, 2016

Langweilige Figuren und eine Geschichte die, auch nach der ausgefallenen Auflösung, einen einfach nicht mitreißt.

• LLFIN

★★★★½ Watched by LLFIN 31 Jan, 2008

Keyser Soze, the mystery man.

• phntm

★★★★★ Watched by phntm 23 May, 2016

Strings........

• Sean Kelly

★★★★★ Rewatched by Sean Kelly 22 May, 2016

More than 20 years later, is there anyone who still doesn't know who Keyser Soze is?

• Craaw

★★★★★ Added by Craaw

Genius all the way up to the final reveal, which is mastermind-level brilliant.

• Aaron White

★★★ Rewatched by Aaron White 21 May, 2016

What. A. Bummer.

As far as I can remember this is my first re-watch since the film came out. Unfortunately, it didn't hold up anywhere close to the 5-star masterpiece I once thought it was. Sure, it still has one of the greatest surprise endings ever, but the rest of the film leading up to it is nothing special at all outside of Spacey's performance. Very disappointed that my memories of this film are forever tainted by this latest, completely unmagical viewing.

• Quinn Bailey

★★★★★ Watched by Quinn Bailey 17 May, 2016 2

The greatest trick Bryan Singer ever pulled was convincing the world he was just a superhero movie director.

Rocketed up on repeat viewing from "alright crime thriller with a really good twist" to "honest-to-god masterpiece". Singer and Christopher McQuarrie are absolutely on top form here, matching a much-hullabalooed script (which I will not comment on save for the obvious fact that it's terrific) with rightfully memorable performances and beautifully economical visual storytelling. Who is Keyser Soze indeed.

• Paul Griffin

★★★★★ Added by Paul Griffin

Just brilliant, and the end blew me away

"Gimme the fuckin' keys you fuckin' cocksucker motherfucker whlehhhh"

• Daniel Storer

★★★½ Watched by Daniel Storer 16 May, 2016

Other than the great acting and the very good twist at the end, I could really get behind this film and say it is fantastic, but I still think it is good. I found the acting good, the direction very well done, the writing to be very memorable with very distinct lines of dialogue, the structure of the film and its editing is done to a high standard, and the cinematography was quite good too.

However, while I found the…

• Justin Valor

★★★★ Rewatched by Justin Valor 15 May, 2016

A twisty script, great acting and direction, and one of the best endings of all time.