• Ben Rasmin

★★★ Rewatched by Ben Rasmin 30 Jun, 2015

Often heralded as the high point in the stop-start career of director Bryan Singer, The Usual Suspects is a noteworthy entry into the extensive stable of 90s crime dramas. It's a well acted affair that benefits from a tight script and a pleasingly eclectic cast, not to mention an excellent musical score. Unfortunately, the film is overly reliant on a plot twist that really isn't all that effective (disclaimer - I worked it out about half an hour into my…

• Joel Halvarsson

★★★★½ Watched by Joel Halvarsson 29 Jun, 2015

Knowing the twist did not make this film less effective for me. Still one of the most entertaining and greatest films of it's genre. McManus and Fenster are so damn cool

• Anthony Iessi

★★★★ Added by Anthony Iessi

Wonderfully filmed, edited, written and especially acted. Kevin Spacey is an absolutely menacing villain.

• Claudia

★★★★ Watched by Claudia 27 Jun, 2015

Movies that challenge the mind are quite a feat. They require careful planning, a clever screenplay and intuitive actors, resulting in an audience left puzzled, bewildered and, most importantly, amazed. "The Usual Suspects" is precisely that kind of film. The neo-noir thriller follows a group of five criminals that come together to take revenge on the police leading to many twists and turns eventually leading to a boat explosion, where our story begins. The entire tale is told by Roger…

• Reid Ramsey

★★½ Watched by Reid Ramsey 24 Jun, 2015

The biggest mystery is why this movie takes itself so seriously.

• Dave Hill

★★★½ Rewatched by Dave Hill 24 Jun, 2015

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

The movie plays much as a violent, sordid caper film focusing on five crooks in over their head and destined to come to a bad end. What makes it really work, of course, is that next level up, the idea that someone is not only manipulating the crooks in question, but the whole investigation, indeed, the whole story we're watching, and that criminal myth / mastermind Keyser Soze is not only real, but more deeply involved than anyone guesses until…

• residood

★★★★ Rewatched by residood 23 Jun, 2015

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

It's a story where the twists and the turns are the big payoff. Once you've seen the entire movie you want to reevaluate it, with the truth, or some version of it, now securely planted in the back of your brain.

But I will never understand how he managed to look underneath the coffee mug.

The good
    + Benicio del Toro is proof that some men grow more handsome with the years.
    + Oh Bryan Singer was 20 years old when he directed this? Fuck off.

The bad
    - I found myself to be distracted by and attracted to the blood effects. Too much strawberry?

• Nathan Sizemore

★★★½ Rewatched by Nathan Sizemore 17 Jun, 2015 3

I remember people being wowed by this around the time it came out. I probably didn't see it until a few years later and I was old enough to be watching R-rated movies.

I don't really know that there's any value to prefacing this review with some biographical information, but having watching it now after many years, I find it something of a curiosity. It's interesting, but so much of the power or the film rests on its plot twist…

• KeyserSoze77

★★★★★ Added by KeyserSoze77

One of the few film that I have watched at the cinema that concluded and everyone present started to clap at the end. Its a brilliantly acted, scripted and directed film which will reward repeat viewings - which is a sign, in my opinion, of a great film.
    A film that will leave you thinking long after the credits roll....

• Shea

★★★★★ Watched by Shea 15 Jun, 2015

kevin spacey is such a daddy.

• Dwayne Bartel

★★ Rewatched by Dwayne Bartel 14 Jun, 2015

This is the fourth time I've watched "Usual Suspects" and it's time I faced facts... I just don't like this movie. The performances are all great, but the plot is swiss cheese.

For the record: I don't like swiss cheese either.

• Daan Janssens

★★★★★ Rewatched by Daan Janssens 31 May, 2015

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled, was convincing the world he didn't exist..." Rillingen, altijd weer. 'The Usual Suspects' is slim, snel, mysterieus en grappig. Eigenlijk, hoe minder je weet op voorhand, hoe beter. De eerste film die mij lange tijd headspins heeft bezorgd en nog steeds een van mijn favoriete films is. Wat moet ik nog zeggen.. Briljante vertolking van Spacey, een krachtige screenplay (om jaloers op te zijn) en die heerlijke 90s-gangster-thriller sfeer. Dolgelukkig dat ik deze film op het grote scherm heb mogen zien. "...and like that, he's gone."