• thedarkhours

★★★★ Watched by thedarkhours 20 Apr, 2014

A thoroughly fascinating examination of character and madness focusing on the oil boom of the early 1900s. I haven't seen many movies as effective in building a palpable sense of dread as in There Will Be Blood. The soundtrack hangs like a pall over everything as you are sure there is a nasty ending in store for everybody. A great movie from a great director.

• Dominic Cobb

★★★★★ Rewatched by Dominic Cobb 20 Apr, 2014 2

STORY 5/5
    WRITING 5/5
    ACTING 5/5
    MUSIC 5/5
    CINEMATOGRAPHY 5/5

Nothing I can say that isn't obvious. It's awesome, dark, cold, brilliant, intelligent, perfectly acted, and beautifully filmed.
    Yup.

• Tyrion Lannister

★★★★ Watched by Tyrion Lannister 20 Apr, 2014

Both Daniel Day Lewis, and his mustache's performances in this were incredible. I heard that in order to fully capture the role of Daniel Plainview, he went back in time and started up his own oil company himself. And it shows.

While he by far was the best part of the movie, there were other outstanding performances. Paul Dano has a fantastic performance as twins, which I'm sure is hard to do. The soundtrack stood out to me as well.…

• Alex A

★★★ Watched by Alex A 30 Jan, 2014

Daniel Day-Lewis is a great actor and undoubtedly outshines everyone in this film. The cinematography is impeccable and some of the best I've ever seen, and the soundtrack is beautiful, albeit a little overused in the film. The first twenty minutes is my favorite section of the film, which shows ambitious protagonist Daniel Plainview and friends prospecting for oil with zero dialogue, so that the atmosphere and music sink in the viewer instead. There Will Be Blood is without doubt directed beautifully, even if it has a slight over abundance of slow moments.

• David Pearce

★★★★ Watched by David Pearce 18 Apr, 2014

"If the good Lord smiles kindly on our endeavour, we share in the wealth together."

There Will Be Blood feels like Paul Thomas Anderson at his absolute best. It's a masterful piece of cinema that I feel is unfortunately bogged down by some rather glaring issues.

I thought the opening was genius. Around 15 minutes of nearly no dialogue, allowing the camera and Daniel Day-Lewis's performance to serve as the audiences introduction to the character rather than relying on exposition.…

• ILoveFilm1998

★★★★★ Rewatched by ILoveFilm1998 18 Apr, 2014

This is a stunning and sprawling work of intelligence, originality, ambition and blistering intensity. There Will Be Blood is a mesmerizing, epic cinematic feat about greed, lies, religion, capitalism and insanity delivered by a magnificent director and Daniel Day-Lewis knocks it out of the park as Daniel Plainview, portraying his ambition, rage, greed, and chances of at least being a decent human being. Paul Dano is also great.

One of my all time favorite movies, and will likely be considered by many, a modern classic in cinema.

• Cityzen Kano

★★★★★ Watched by Cityzen Kano 18 Apr, 2014 5

There is Daniel Day Lewis' performance, a standard which has become almost ludicrously normal for the man now. Paul Thomas Anderson's assured writing and direction instils an epic feel within the stripped down surroundings. Then there is the music. The score by Radiohead's Jonny Greenwood will be the first thing that coats you in the thickness of the black atmosphere.

Greenwood's compositional skills have developed over the arc of Radiohead's career, pushed forward after the group dropped their guitars post…

• John Guerin

★★★★ Watched by John Guerin 16 Apr, 2014

Dynamite. Sleekly shot and scored. I wanted more juiced out of its themes and less total reliance on Daniel's chauvinism, but I'm still damn impressed. [B+]

• cynoide

★★★★★ Added by cynoide

Great cinematography, great dialogue, great story. Really powerful, captivates a good representation of mortality and greed.

The style is dreadful and you crave it so much.

PTA is a truly awesome director and never fails to disappoint.

• Dominic

★★★★ Watched by Dominic 12 Apr, 2014

How manifest is destiny?

• Jehek

★★★★ Watched by Jehek 12 Apr, 2014

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

• Leonardo Navarro

★★★★½ Watched by Leonardo Navarro 12 Apr, 2014

Paul Thomas Anderson: Ranked

«Drainage! Drainage, Eli! Drained dry, you boy! If you have a milkshake and I have a milkshake and I have a straw and my straw reaches across the room and starts to drink your milkshake. I drink your milkshake! I drink it up!»
    —Daniel Plainview

Perfect. I get the feeling that this film, on a rewatch, will become a five-star film for me.