• Aaron King

★★★★★ Rewatched by Aaron King 17 Sep, 2014

Everytime I watch this film, it feels like I am watching a new film. I catch so many new things on repeat viewings. I think this is his best film. Who would have ever thought the subject matter would have made such a compelling film to watch. Daniel Day Lewis needs to make a new film soon. Greatest actor indeed.

• Adam Cadre

★★ Watched by Adam Cadre 07 Jun, 2008

• RavenMile

★★★★★ Added by RavenMile

A masterpiece. I film that is in love with cinema while bringing something original to the screen. Daniel Day-Lewis, as usual, gives one of the greatest performances of all time as Daniel Plainview. A film taking place at the turn of the century, but completely defining Modern America.

• funsohng

★★★★★ Added by funsohng

The film as a medium exists so that audiences can experience something like There Will Be Blood. A masterful work, and definitely one of the decade's best.

• Rob Samuelson

★★★★★ Rewatched by Rob Samuelson 11 Sep, 2014

On this, my fourth or fifth viewing of Paul Thomas Anderson's dark masterpiece, I became wowed by the deceptive simplicity of the narrative. A nihilist and a "false prophet" square off until everything falls apart. That's such an uncomplicated sounding description but it is explored to the logical depths while still leaving room for interpretation. That tight rope is nearly impossible to walk.

Neither of the principals are good, and the search for understanding into that lack of goodness is…

• carrutherst

★★★★★ Added by carrutherst

Daniel Day Lewis is the greatest actor who ever lived and this movie is the best example. And Paul Dano knocks his role out of the park. I have so many quotes from this movie that I love, though I'm not always sure why they've stuck with me. This movie is a gem and will stand the test of time for movie lovers and movie critics alike.

• georgetomacini

★★★★½ Added by georgetomacini

I saw this in the theater and was floored by the visuals and the grandeur of the film making and the originality of it. I don't know if it's quite the masterpiece everyone says it is, i haven't seen it in some time. Maybe it is.

• Pajamabanana

★★★★ Watched by Pajamabanana 10 Sep, 2014

Yay:

+ It's the Daniel Day-Lewis show. The man deserves his accolades.
    + Not usually a fan of Paul Dano (who seems to play the same character in every movie he's in), but he's well cast here.
    + Feels researched, textured and true.

Nay:

- It's the Daniel Day-Lewis show. The counterweight of Dano's character feels undersized and is used only as a mirror for Plainview. It would have been nice to learn more about the people in Plainview's orbit.

• Dick

½ Added by Dick

It's like Paul Anderson just rips off a different director for every movie.

• Miranda_R

★★★★ Added by Miranda_R

I had a large hole in my contemporary film viewing in the late '00s due to family constraints, but I am catching up now, using a variety of best-of lists. To say that There Will Be Blood came highly recommended is quite the understatement - more like it came with kudos, exhultations, and superlatives galore. I am familair with PT Anderson from The Master, Punch Drunk Love, and Magnolia, all of which I appreciated, none of which I adored. Regardless,…

• Elijah Davidson

★★★★½ Rewatched by Elijah Davidson 08 Sep, 2014

I watched this again this morning to celebrate my completion of every class required for my degree from Fuller Seminary.

I was Daniel. I was Eli. I suppose I'm still both but to a lesser degree than before.

Seminary was the bowling pin.

• barcalounger

★★★★★ Rewatched by barcalounger 03 Sep, 2014

I used to think I was clever for making the Bush family connection in this father/son story of oil, religion and politics. This time I realized that the kids name is HW. Fucking HW! Okay, so the Bush theme was obvious and I'm a tool for feigning cleverness in my analysis.