• Daniel PG Simpson

★½ Watched by Daniel PG Simpson 16 Nov, 2015

It's interesting that this was part of a Marilyn Monroe DVD set, yet she barely factors in this film, which focuses more on a family of characters which she isn't really part of. Anyway, There's No Business Like Show Business embodies many of the traits I hate the most about Hollywood musicals, namely that its overblown, over-long, and lacking in plot. What few strands of conflict are either resolved immediately or end up getting resolved off camera. It's a movie…

• Danielle McCallion

★★½ Watched by Danielle McCallion 06 Nov, 2015

$10 to the person who can tell me what being "lasghy" means.

• tron

★★★½ Watched by tron 03 Nov, 2015

watched w nico and i rly loved it!! donald o'connor and marilyn monroe are both SO cute. and ohh my god the extended coming out metaphor of the 1 brother wanting to be a priest.. the Queer Discourse...

• Nigel

★★½ Watched by Nigel 01 Oct, 2015

I guess telling your parents that you want to become a priest was one way of telling them you were gay in the 1950s.

The only thing I enjoyed about the film was Marilyn Monroe. Her character seemed more down to Earth than most characters she played during her career. It was also nice seeing Mitzi Gaynor too. Other than that, the film didn't do much for me.

• Antonin

★★★ Watched by Antonin 20 Sep, 2015

Pas très bon mais c'était cute

• ShyMovieBuff93

★★½ Added by ShyMovieBuff93

I'm not going to lie unless you love Singing' in the Rain, I wouldn't recommend this film. It sets up the main characters for the first half and then the real story begins.

What sold this movie for me, other than the siblings' relationship, was Marilyn Monroe. Now you comes in a quarter of the way but after only seeing her as this dizzy blonde trope this character was refreshing. I can't put my finger on it, but she feels…

• meriselle

★★½ Watched by meriselle 15 Mar, 2015

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

The movie has a particular long and drawn out beginning. It takes a while to get things rolling. The exposition was handled in the form of narration by the parents/theater couple and personally, I would have not gone about it in such a way.
    The Teenage girl has some good eye acting and speaks at a good tempo. The actor who plays Tim Donahue is good at actively acting.
    All the cast were particularly good at their job. Though, it…

• Alex Fuller

★★★½ Watched by Alex Fuller 19 Jun, 2015

Does drag a bit, mainly the dramatic parts which are a little heavy in execution, and see jarring narrative shortcuts increasingly taken in the last act to bring the ambitiously extended arc in under two hours.

Musical numbers mainly sparkle, though. Gaudy but tremendous fun. All five Donahues and Marilyn charm, and Mitzi Gaynor in particular is a wonder.

• Peter Gatt

★★ Watched by Peter Gatt 01 Jun, 2015

Average melodrama about the Show Business family The Donahue's will everything work out in the end, of course it will
    Songs were fun though

• Mike D'Angelo

★★½ Watched by Mike D'Angelo 29 Apr, 2015

Man, does this ever lumber. Takes forever to get going and then seems to go on forever; only Donald O’Connor keeps it from flatlining, and even he’s somewhat miscast as a lothario capable of seducing Marilyn. (Maybe I’m underestimating the appeal of funny + agile.) If for some reason you wanted to ensure that someone who's never seen a classic Hollywood musical will never ever watch one again, this is what you'd show them. And yet it's still intermittently fun, because razzmatazz.

• Mynt Marsellus

★★★½ Watched by Mynt Marsellus 30 Mar, 2015

The first 30 minutes of this movie drag. Then Marilyn Monroe shows up and makes everything better. He relationship with Donald O'Connor makes this film and her performance sells every minute. The production design is classic Hollywood and the script is shockingly better than it had any right to be.

• Elle

★½ Watched by Elle 23 Mar, 2015

There are more songs than plot in this film.