• Nigel

★★½ Watched by Nigel 01 Oct, 2015

I guess telling your parents that you want to become a priest was one way of telling them you were gay in the 1950s.

The only thing I enjoyed about the film was Marilyn Monroe. Her character seemed more down to Earth than most characters she played during her career. It was also nice seeing Mitzi Gaynor too. Other than that, the film didn't do much for me.

• Antonin

★★★ Watched by Antonin 20 Sep, 2015

Pas très bon mais c'était cute

• ShyMovieBuff93

★★½ Added by ShyMovieBuff93

I'm not going to lie unless you love Singing' in the Rain, I wouldn't recommend this film. It sets up the main characters for the first half and then the real story begins.

What sold this movie for me, other than the siblings' relationship, was Marilyn Monroe. Now you comes in a quarter of the way but after only seeing her as this dizzy blonde trope this character was refreshing. I can't put my finger on it, but she feels…

• meriselle

★★½ Watched by meriselle 15 Mar, 2015

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

The movie has a particular long and drawn out beginning. It takes a while to get things rolling. The exposition was handled in the form of narration by the parents/theater couple and personally, I would have not gone about it in such a way.
    The Teenage girl has some good eye acting and speaks at a good tempo. The actor who plays Tim Donahue is good at actively acting.
    All the cast were particularly good at their job. Though, it…

• Alex Fuller

★★★½ Watched by Alex Fuller 19 Jun, 2015

Does drag a bit, mainly the dramatic parts which are a little heavy in execution, and see jarring narrative shortcuts increasingly taken in the last act to bring the ambitiously extended arc in under two hours.

Musical numbers mainly sparkle, though. Gaudy but tremendous fun. All five Donahues and Marilyn charm, and Mitzi Gaynor in particular is a wonder.

• Peter Gatt

★★ Watched by Peter Gatt 01 Jun, 2015

Average melodrama about the Show Business family The Donahue's will everything work out in the end, of course it will
    Songs were fun though

• Mike D'Angelo

★★½ Watched by Mike D'Angelo 29 Apr, 2015

Man, does this ever lumber. Takes forever to get going and then seems to go on forever; only Donald O’Connor keeps it from flatlining, and even he’s somewhat miscast as a lothario capable of seducing Marilyn. (Maybe I’m underestimating the appeal of funny + agile.) If for some reason you wanted to ensure that someone who's never seen a classic Hollywood musical will never ever watch one again, this is what you'd show them. And yet it's still intermittently fun, because razzmatazz.

• Mynt Marsellus

★★★½ Watched by Mynt Marsellus 30 Mar, 2015

The first 30 minutes of this movie drag. Then Marilyn Monroe shows up and makes everything better. He relationship with Donald O'Connor makes this film and her performance sells every minute. The production design is classic Hollywood and the script is shockingly better than it had any right to be.

• Elle

★½ Watched by Elle 23 Mar, 2015

There are more songs than plot in this film.

• Bryan Colley

Added by Bryan Colley

A dreadful musical with no story and no closeups (thanks to early Cinemascope). It's just a parade of empty, overly-lavish musical numbers. It's a half-hour of songs before the story even starts. Catchy Irving Berlin tunes and Marilyn Monroe can't keep it from being a total bore. Script by Phoebe and Henry Epheron and Lamar Trotti, all of whom have done better work.

• Matt J.

Watched by Matt J. 30 Dec, 2014

Before I even started watching this, it already had two strikes against it:

1. I generally don't like musicals, especially the Classic Hollywood-era ones.

2. I don't like Ethel Merman. Her voice like like fingernails on a chalkboard to me. I couldn't stand her in It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World, even though I love everything else about that film.

Anyway, I decided to sit down and watch this, since I a) needed something that required minimal attention so…

• Rick DeSantis

★★★ Rewatched by Rick DeSantis 09 Nov, 2014

Marilyn is pure sex appeal but Mitzi Gaynor outclassed Marilyn in the movie. Mitzi had a perpetual smile and that girl next door look and attitude that everyone wants to be around. When Mitzi was on screen I was drawn to her even when Marilyn shared the screen with her. The dress Marilyn wore in her first number was stunning. Donald O'Connor was excellent especially in his solo with the statues. Ethel Merman was in control, you could tell this was her movie. Some great song and dance numbers are in this musical.