• Chris Campbell

★★★★ Watched by Chris Campbell 03 Feb, 2009

I’m not really a fan of Hollywood “issue” dramas that take a serious look at things like drug addiction or other topics, but when I saw that Susanne Bier was directing Halle Barry and Benicio del Toro, I was intrigued. In her previous film “After the Wedding”, she told a melodramatic story in a completely compelling and moving way, so this seemed as though it would be a great fit and it was. while many films feel the need to…

• Fesapo

"Accept the good."

So emotional :(

• Alberto Farina

★★★ Watched by Alberto Farina 12 Apr, 2014

Freshly widowed Berry decides helping her late husband's best friend, who's a drug addict, but has a hard time handling the relationship when he, while proving himself a caring person, becomes too close for comfort. Danish Bier's first US feature does not dilute her flair for handling complex emotions and bringing her stories to satisfying, unobvious conclusions.

• Michaeldmanley

★★★★½ Watched by Michaeldmanley 13 Feb, 2008

A powerful film about grief, addiction & the impact of important people in our lives.

• Arnold Schizopolis

★★★ Added by Arnold Schizopolis

Del Toro was amazing as well as Duchovny in the handful of scenes he was in. You could easily believe that their characters were best friends. The only weak link was Halle Berry. She wasn't terrible, but putting her physical beauty aside, her performance was one-dimensional. Her character as a wife, a mother and a friend...it was all the same! I just didn't empathize with her at all. Del Toro and Duchovny were so much more dynamic. Still worth watching if you enjoy Del Toro and Bier's films.

• Lee

★★★★ Watched by Lee 21 Mar, 2013

I went into Things We Lost In The Fire expecting a discomforting experience analysing the deterioration of a family following a tragic death, and while the film delivers on the dramatic elements it requires, there’s a real sensitive and poignant portrayal of the human kind that I could not prepare myself for. Directed by a Copenhagen raised Susanne Bier, Things We Lost In The Fire handles its challenge subject matter in a delicate matter that helps separate from other family…

• Carlos Laron

★★★★★ Added by Carlos Laron

This has got to be one of my favorites (but didn't seem to add it yet on my list). I love the chemistry between Benicio Del Toro & Halle Berry. From the trailer, and to the movie itself it was pure magnificence. Drama movies have the tendency to be familiar as they deal with issues that are going on each day. This movie showed that, plus more. I highly recommend that you guys see this.

• hella

★★ Added by hella

trying to hard to pull at the heart strings ..bored!

• Mitchell Beaupre

★★★ Watched by Mitchell Beaupre 23 Aug, 2012

When Things We Lost in the Fire first came out in the fall of 2007, I pretty much dismissed it as your typical awards bait melodrama and when it didn't pick up any big nominations for that season I figured I was never going to watch it. Despite having several actors in it that I'm a big fan of, it all sounded so labored and over-cooked, centering around a woman whose husband dies tragically and so she brings his recovering…

• kcooley

★★★ Watched by kcooley 16 Mar, 2008

Excellent, ear lobes and accept the good

• Josefin

★★★ Added by Josefin

Not one of Susanne Brier’s best movies, I suggest you watch Open Heart, Brothers or even Hurt locker instead. It’s an earnest recovery drama in which Halle Berry and Benicio Del Toro give strong, performances. It's a sad story how Audrey (Halle Berry) loose her husband and despite never having liked and now blaming her husband’s childhood friend Jerry (Benicio Del Toro) for his death, she invites him to stay with them and they fall in love.