• Domagoj Koški

★★★ Watched by Domagoj Koški 05 Dec, 2014

It's mediocre drama with Halle Berry and Benicio Del Toro. Halle as woman with two children whos husband has been killed lately and Benicio as her husband's best friend and heroin addict. She invites him in their house to help them to get on with the tragedy. But she's also annoying bitch in the movie and all the time shits about how he's not her husband. Too much pointless things and ending is like the director didn't have the idea how to end the movie so "let it be like that". Besides these "little" things, movie is ok.

• Matthew Wooldridge

★★★ Watched by Matthew Wooldridge 09 Sep, 2008

I was surprised this didn't get any recognition around Oscar time. But then I realised it was a Dreamworks film which may have been dumped by Paramount in favour of hyping THERE WILL BE BLOOD and their other Oscar hopefuls. This was a solid drama featuring great performances from Benicio del Toro and Halle Berry. David Duchovny is also very good in his small yet integral role. From the director of AFTER THE WEDDING (a film on my to-see list).

• Matt Heiser

★★★ Watched by Matt Heiser 19 Nov, 2014

Solid character drama, though probably the weakest of the four films I've seen directed by Susanne Bier, a director I've really become a huge fan of. Well acted by Del Toro, and, for perhaps like only the 2nd time (after maybe Monster's Ball), a good performance from Halle Berry. Not that memorable, though.

• ShadetreeDad

★★★½ Watched by ShadetreeDad 13 Nov, 2014

Kept putting off this film and finally threw it in the player. Very nice film. Not one I would probably ever watch again though.

• Niklas Larsson

★★★½ Watched by Niklas Larsson 23 Sep, 2014

Halle Berry is surprisingly good

• Chris Campbell

★★★★ Watched by Chris Campbell 03 Feb, 2009

I’m not really a fan of Hollywood “issue” dramas that take a serious look at things like drug addiction or other topics, but when I saw that Susanne Bier was directing Halle Barry and Benicio del Toro, I was intrigued. In her previous film “After the Wedding”, she told a melodramatic story in a completely compelling and moving way, so this seemed as though it would be a great fit and it was. while many films feel the need to…

• Fesapo

"Accept the good."

So emotional :(

• Alberto Farina

★★★ Watched by Alberto Farina 12 Apr, 2014

Freshly widowed Berry decides helping her late husband's best friend, who's a drug addict, but has a hard time handling the relationship when he, while proving himself a caring person, becomes too close for comfort. Danish Bier's first US feature does not dilute her flair for handling complex emotions and bringing her stories to satisfying, unobvious conclusions.

• Michaeldmanley

★★★★½ Watched by Michaeldmanley 13 Feb, 2008

A powerful film about grief, addiction & the impact of important people in our lives.

• Arnold Schizopolis

★★★ Added by Arnold Schizopolis

Del Toro was amazing as well as Duchovny in the handful of scenes he was in. You could easily believe that their characters were best friends. The only weak link was Halle Berry. She wasn't terrible, but putting her physical beauty aside, her performance was one-dimensional. Her character as a wife, a mother and a friend...it was all the same! I just didn't empathize with her at all. Del Toro and Duchovny were so much more dynamic. Still worth watching if you enjoy Del Toro and Bier's films.

• Lee

★★★★ Watched by Lee 21 Mar, 2013

I went into Things We Lost In The Fire expecting a discomforting experience analysing the deterioration of a family following a tragic death, and while the film delivers on the dramatic elements it requires, there’s a real sensitive and poignant portrayal of the human kind that I could not prepare myself for. Directed by a Copenhagen raised Susanne Bier, Things We Lost In The Fire handles its challenge subject matter in a delicate matter that helps separate from other family…