• Brendan Edwards

★★★½ Watched by Brendan Edwards 09 Feb, 2016

Very realistic and affecting film that touches you to the very core. Beryy and Del Toro's performances are so real and easy to empathize with so cant help being captivated by the story and following the emotions they go through. It is a heartfelt film that even though it is so filled with sorrow has a lot of positives to it. Its a strong and touching film and highly recommendable.

• Lintang

★★½ Watched by Lintang 02 Feb, 2016

all hell breaks loose when david duchovny is dead.

• Fiona Green

★★★ Rewatched by Fiona Green 01 Feb, 2016

I can admit it's a flawed film but a solidly acted weepy. Del Toro is one of my favourite actors of all time and creates such a nuanced, sympathetic character. Halle Berry has to deal with some melodramatic dialogue but she's good too. This also has a great supporting cast. I could have done without the frequent intercutting of leaves and dew drops but that's just me.

• samantha

★★★ Watched by samantha 25 Jan, 2016

benicio del toro as a sweaty spewing heroin addict > every man who ever lived

• Keith

★★★ Watched by Keith 20 Jan, 2016

Excellent acting by Halle and Benecio and a story that is quite captivating. The director, Bier, does a great job at keeping it real and moving.

• soccerjulchen

★★★ Added by soccerjulchen

Passables Drama

• Filipe Ferraz

★★ Watched by Filipe Ferraz 03 Jan, 2016

A relação entre os personagens de Benicio Del Toro e Halle Berry (mais uma vez em atuação comprometedora) é muito mal desenvolvida, deixando lacunas inacreditáveis de desenvolvimento de personagem, acerca fundamentalmente de extrair ao máximo os motivos - racionais ou emocionais - para que aqueles personagens percorram a jornada estabelecida pelo roteiro. Portanto, além de racionalmente inverossímil, a relação de ambos é também emocionalmente rasa e pessimamente arquitetada.

• fulci420

Added by fulci420

The two central performances from Del Toro and Berry are career highlights for both actors but it's not enough to save Susanne Bier"s first American film from feeling kind of forgettable when all is said and done. I think you can blame screenwriter Allan Loeb (Rock of Ages, Here Comes the Boom) for all of this, as the acting is obviously on point as is Bier's intimate up close approach. Bier's "Brothers" (2004) dealt with a similar story and with…

• Sheryl

★★★★ Watched by Sheryl 18 Oct, 2015

Susanne Bier employs some really interesting cinematographic techniques to tell a simple story. Her directing feels a bit like a refusal of typical tropes, from the poorly-demarcated flashback scenes in the frenetic first half to the semblance of peace found at the end of the film. It is so unapologetic that what I found was disjointed and difficult to resonate with comes to good closure after awhile. Much like the processes of grief.

Things We Lost in the Fire also…

• nightgerbil

★★★ Watched by nightgerbil 14 Oct, 2015

This film is quite confused. The beginning reminded me of another better film starring Benicio del Toro - 21 Grams - that plays around with timeline, where the story wants to reveal certain details, but Things We Lost in the Fire doesn't know when to keep a consistent play on the timeline.

It also seems confused as to where it really wants to dwell - various stereotypical themes involving loss? The drug addict friend who disappoints everyone by relapsing at…

• Mathew Buck

★★★½ Watched by Mathew Buck 11 Oct, 2015 1

Halle Berry and Benicio Del Toro deliver emotional performances in this downbeat drama as two people who try to come to terms with the death of her husband and his friend David Duchovny. This is certainly a better effort from Susanne Bier than Serena, although I was worried in the early sections that this was going to be something akin to Babel and 21 Grams because of the way it relays events in non-linear fashion, but luckily the film ceases…

• Megan T

★★★★½ Added by Megan T

I went into this with middle-road expectations and came out of it revelated. Quite wonderful. As dark as it needed to be without being degrading. As uplifting as necessary without being trite. Master class work by both Del Toro and Berry. This is an absurdly underrated film.