• Andy F.

★★★★½ Watched by Andy F. 17 Dec, 2014

Classics Of The Mid Twentieth Century: #3

One of my dad's favorites- I finally got to see it. Whew wee, what a fucking good one. Orson Welles. That's all there is to say.

• Corey Hiscocks

★★★★★ Rewatched by Corey Hiscocks 10 Dec, 2014

Once you get over the initial shock of fake-bake Heston, there is so much to enjoy here. The plot's a blessedly simple take on police corruption in a hazy shantytown, where more than just geographical boundaries are repeatedly crossed. Welles, in more ways that one, is tremendous in front of the camera: a don't-take-nothin'-from-nobody type, a dark re-imagining of the faded cowboys and indifferent gumshoes we adored, the all-too-natural extrapolation of the American "just get the job done" ideology. He…

• micah1984

★★★★½ Watched by micah1984 10 Dec, 2014

Only the second film noir I've seen. What they were able to accomplish in this movie is so impressive. The lighting is great, and the editing is flawless. The plot was thick and full of little moments of revelation that kept me on my toes. It was a bit hard to follow, but I guess that's film noir. So far I'm impressed by the genre.

• Catherine Stebbins

★★★★ Rewatched by Catherine Stebbins 10 Sep, 2014

From Top Ten By Year: 1958 (#5) cinenthusiast.wordpress.com/2014/12/09/top-ten-by-year-1958-2/

This refers to the reconstructed version of Touch of Evil, put together by editor and audio engineer Walter Murch, producer Rick Schmidlin and critic Jonathan Rosenbaum according to Orson Welles’s famous 58-page memo to Universal which details the ways in which (through both editing and sound) the studio chopped up his vision.

There are only a handful of films that make me want to take a shower afterwards. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre…

• Neely

★★½ Watched by Neely 06 Dec, 2014

My expectations were soaring for Touch of Evil, partly due to its phenomenal opening shot and its reputation in the film noir genre. However, my expectations sadly plummeted to the ground because of its choppy and sloppy editing, questionable characters and a story that drives carelessly to its destination. Looks like Orson Welles and I both didn't get to see the film we were hoping for.

• Zachary Abraham

★★★½ Watched by Zachary Abraham 15 Sep, 2014

In the beginning of the film, long shots are used and we see that the scene is all in one take, this makes everything connect and flows in a natural manner. We see two characters walking through the Mexico/United States border, and during this whole scene there is not a single scene break. It was not until the car explodes that the camera angle finally changes. As the film progresses, we see that shots are left as long ones. The…

• Benjamin Devasir

★★★★★ Watched by Benjamin Devasir 01 Dec, 2014

Fucking class all the way. I can't think what I love most about this movie, but I think I'm settling for either Janet Leigh's incredible legs or Orson Welles' marvelous ability to play an asshole so well.

• soupydoupyy

★★ Watched by soupydoupyy 10 Nov, 2014 3

I was told that this was the epitaph of noir: the final nail in the coffin, the grand finale, the last hoorah. So how does Touch of Evil do as the last noir according to Paul Schrader? Well, I feel, with Schrader's view in mind, that noir went out with a whimper.

Perhaps it was because of the grand setup and the involvement of Welles but I just got this grand badass noir picture in my head and what I…

• Josh

★★★½ Watched by Josh 30 Nov, 2014

Loved the directing, but the story was very confusing and hard to follow at times.

• Johnshinobi

★★★½ Watched by Johnshinobi 29 Nov, 2014

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

• Lars Sieval

★★★★★ Watched by Lars Sieval 29 Nov, 2014

Touch of Evil, a true masterpiece that keeps you on the edge of your seat all the way through. You´ve got Charlton Heston playing a mexican, you´ve got a fat Orson Welles who is brilliant as Hank Quinlan, Janet Leigh as the good looking babe in the film, we´ve got a planted evidence, a bar fight, a funny night worker at a motel, great shots, a interesting story and a awesome ending. Yes, if you haven´t seen a film noir film in your live, this is a great one to start with.

• Malick Kaufman

★★★★★ Watched by Malick Kaufman 29 Nov, 2014

Film #9 of Noir-vember

I should mention the opening take.

Yeah, I've seen the opening take before. I initially saw it after seeing the Player a few years ago, where I mistakenly felt that The Player did it better. No way in hell. This film has the best tracking shot ever. Children of Men's are brilliant, the aforementioned Player did it beautifully, hell, even the ones in Unbreakable were great, and yeah, I've seen Russian Ark, but the tension, camera…