• Caleb53

★★★★★ Watched by Caleb53 25 Aug, 2014

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

• TJ Duane

★★★★½ Watched by TJ Duane 25 Aug, 2014 1

Touch of Evil was one of the final film noirs of that movie type's golden age. Welles's visual symbolism heightens the pot boiler story, as well as Welles's slobby performance as the film's antagonist, which brings Shakespearean heft to a role that could have been caricature.

I feel the way after this film like I felt after watching Carol Reed's The Third Man. I want to watch it again tonight. And then maybe a third time.

• Caleb McCandless

★★★★ Watched by Caleb McCandless 30 Apr, 2014

*Preview version (4/30/14)

• Ollie

★★★★★ Watched by Ollie 08 Aug, 2014

Quality stuff.

• Baseball Baseball

★★★★½ Watched by Baseball Baseball 15 Aug, 2014 2

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

• Matt Conti

Watched by Matt Conti 16 Jun, 2014

What Orson Welles lacked in fitness, he made up for in talent. Also, having now seen the difference between the theatrical "studio cut" and the so called "Director's cut", it's one of the few instances where the studio version is actually a better film.

That still doesn't excuse what they did to The Magnificent Ambersons, the bastards.

• Jude Seymour

Rewatched by Jude Seymour 27 Sep, 2000

Went to "Touch of Evil" tonight. The first time I watched it, it was with Brian. For some reason, I talked quite a bit through it even though I had really wanted to see it.

That made tonight the time I really wanted to bear down and concentrate and see if 1) I could follow the movie and 2) if I liked the movie. Well it took quite a bit of concentration, and yeah its a little dated, but there…

• Lewis Taplin

★★★ Watched by Lewis Taplin 11 Aug, 2014

Visually, the film reaches inconsistent astounding highs. But I found the film's messy narrative ineffective.

• SilentDawn

★★★★★ Rewatched by SilentDawn 10 Aug, 2014 8

Viewed the Reconstructed version on Blu-ray.

Picture this:

Infinite darkness. At once so close and at the same time, so far away. Endlessly drifting closer, sending your nerves into a dizzying panic of heightened hysteria and emotional turmoil, is your greatest fear. It's coming closer, closer, closer, closer, closer. At that point, you cannot move. Your physical body is frozen, yet your mental state is as frenzied as an abused animal; lost and alone. You feel it. The touch of…

• Carson Joiner

★★½ Watched by Carson Joiner 10 Aug, 2014

"This could be very bad for us... For Mexico I mean."
    "He was a good detective, and a lousy cop."
    Orson Welles' film Touch of Evil stars Charlton Heston as Mike Vargas, a Mexican Narcotics officer who has his honeymoon interrupted by an explosion that kills two people in the border town that he lives in. Vargas' new wife Susan, played by Janet Leigh, unwillingly becomes a pawn in the game as she follows her husband who is trying to…

• Julius

★★★★★ Rewatched by Julius 06 Aug, 2014

Is Hank Quinlan the best villain ever?

• DavidM3000AD

★★★★ Watched by DavidM3000AD 20 Jul, 2014

Tracking shot!

Once again Janet Leigh finds herself stuck in a backroads motel run by a lonely weirdo (actually, it was the first time, but anyway). Good cop Charlton Heston acts through his gritted teeth, and dirty cop Welles is the gluttonous grotesque ("did you bring me donuts, sweet rolls... "), in this unabashedly overheated pulpy noir.

Inventively filmed, dark and full of menace and sleaze, and dripping with sweat.