• Mark Ciemcioch

★★★★★ Rewatched by Mark Ciemcioch 30 Jul, 2015

Haiku Review:
    Noir thriller is one
    of the best films ever made;
    Ages like fine wine.

• Erik Erickson

★★★★½ Watched by Erik Erickson 27 Jul, 2015

"A policeman's job is only easy in a police state. That's the whole point, captain. Who's the boss - the cop or the law?''

• fightclubitis

★★★½ Watched by fightclubitis 26 Jul, 2015

Rétrospective Orson Welles à la Cinémathèque

1958 original theatrical cut

i'm torn.

there are so many great things in this one (the opening long take, welles acting, the ending, the moral ambivalence) but i didn't enjoy it that much.

the plot felt somewhat weak and forced, which is even more disappointing since the original idea is very clever (murder commuted on both sides of a border). it really messes up a masterpiece.

• Glorbes

Rewatched by Glorbes 25 Jul, 2015

It has been ages since I last watched this, but I'm glad I picked up the gorgeous Blu Ray transfer. This is one of Welles's best films, perhaps second only to Citizen Kane. The restored version is the one I watched, and I can't imagine a studio thinking they could improve upon what Welles achieved with this cut. The camera work, the performances, the lighting, and the taut story that explores the loose morality of the characters adds up to…

• dadgumblah

★★★★½ Added by dadgumblah

I watched the reconstructed version (according to Orson Welles' notes to the studio) and enjoyed it very much. I didn't know the difference because I'd never seen it in any form, except for the famous opening crane shot. It was an excellent film noir, mainly because of the performance of Orson Welles, IMO. He is terrific as the crooked lawman on the American side of the Mexican border. He has make-up that turns his famous face into someone completely different,…

• Liam Fogarty

★★★★½ Watched by Liam Fogarty 19 Jul, 2015

Orson Welles' detective film that delves into the necessary evils of justice and corruptive nature, which intelligently flips all conception of good and evil in a way that is still hasn't quite as successful been replicated in film today.

Often mooched about is the opening scene, featuring a long take with a car bomb, as we see it manoeuvres through the streets of a Mexican town sat on the border. As our focal point is constantly shifting between person to…

• Simon Crookston

★★★★ Watched by Simon Crookston 19 Jul, 2015

The camera doesn't move in this film, it dances

• Mike O'Brien

★★★½ Rewatched by Mike O'Brien 19 Jul, 2015

Great to see this film on the big screen, but it sadly didn't live up to my memory of it. The opening scene is still dazzling, but the rest tends to be uneven, hampered by some cliche/unrealistic characters and situations.

I recently watched Welles' Othello and F for Fake and enjoyed them both more than this.

Perhaps I just had an off day.

• Alex Fuller

★★★★½ Watched by Alex Fuller 18 Jul, 2015

1998 reconstruction. 1.85:1. Rather brilliant. Great music, inspired shooting, fab Janet Leigh. Heston makes an oddly convincing Mexican. A very sweaty film.

• JohnTikis

★★★★½ Rewatched by JohnTikis 14 Jul, 2015

Το reedited cut σύμφωνα με τις επιθυμίες του ίδιου του Welles φυσικά θα ήταν αριστούργημα.

• Niall Blackie

★★★★ Watched by Niall Blackie 16 Jul, 2015

For a long time I have seen this film on lists of must see movies and yet never got round to seeing it. This version I believe was the 1998 cut that tries to capture the vision that Orson Welles had before the studio got their hands on it.

I have to say that it was definitely worth the wait, it was a fantasticly dark thriller with some fantastic performances and a gripping storyline. Sure some of the sets, acting…

• andrea_laforet

★★★½ Watched by andrea_laforet 16 Jul, 2015

One of the best opening scenes that I've ever seen.

After that there are plenty of brilliant moments but it all feels a bit confused.
    I thought Janet Leigh was fantastic. She's sparky, funny and pretty damn sexy as Susan Vargas. Valentin De Vargas as the menacing Mexican kid was also a stand-out.
    Then of course there is the massive unhealthy presence of Mr Orson Welles himself as recovering alcoholic Police Captain Hank Quinlan. Lumbering and sweating through this sleazy…