• Ollie_8

★★★★★ Added by Ollie_8

• Wilson

★★★½ Rewatched by Wilson 26 Nov, 2015

It is an increasing shame that Charlton Heston's casting as Vargas is such a badly mis-judged decision; over-tanned, slicked black hair does little to disguise Heston's lack of believability as a Mexican. I suspect it is only going to get worse with every year, where mocking yourself up as other ethnicities is clearly something of the past. It is such a shame because Touch of Evil is a marvellous, stylish, bleak picture, that shows Orson Welles at his most adventurous…

• Jack Caulfield

★★★★½ Watched by Jack Caulfield 15 Oct, 2015

Super duper racist, and certainly a product of it's time, but this is sublime filmmaking; Welles just bossing the entire thing.

• Ben Radetski

★★★★ Watched by Ben Radetski 22 Nov, 2015

I'm supposed to believe that Charlton Heston is a Mexican?
    Ha ha, no.

• nrbeaton

★★★★ Watched by nrbeaton 21 Nov, 2015

One has to get past the absurdity of Charlton Heston playing a Mexican, but otherwise the performances are good, the music is fantastic and there's plenty of Welles-ish shots with unusual angles and framing. The opening scene in particular is wonderfully tense.

• Garon Cockrell

★★★★★ Watched by Garon Cockrell 19 Nov, 2015

If you’d ask me a week ago, I’d tell you this movie was lousy. I guess I watched it at the wrong time years ago. Maybe it was when I was too young to appreciate the classics. Watching it tonight I am loving it. Janet Leigh is bloody fantastic. She is a spitfire in this. I love every line she has. My ever growing love of the works of Orson Welles continues. The guy is a damn chameleon. I officially admit that I was wrong about this movie. It’s fantastic. Even with Charlton Heston rocking brown face.

• Gabe Godoi

★★★★½ Watched by Gabe Godoi 27 Apr, 2015

Enjoyable to watch if not for its convoluted first half. Beautifully shot and entertainingly performed. Loved the music. Charlton Heston as a brown-faced Mexican is a little unbelievable. Opening line and final line are classics.

• r k

★★★★★ Rewatched by r k 15 Nov, 2015

Restored Version.

• Aaron Armstrong

★★★★★ Watched by Aaron Armstrong 11 Nov, 2015

In talking about this movie, I'm legally required to mention the opening shot: and, yes, the long tracking shot absolutely lives up to its reputation. But the best part is that the film keeps going strong until the final frame. Just a perfect, seedy noir film from a master.

• AFewMixedReview

★★★ Watched by AFewMixedReview 09 Nov, 2015

A solid film from Orson Welles, although it is my least favorite from the three films I have seen from him.

• Nathan Smith

Watched by Nathan Smith 08 Nov, 2015 2

Welles unbinds his camera even more to depict the flow of movement between two cultures grinding away at one another with tectonic friction. TOUCH OF EVIL may have a smaller scope than KANE, but its focus is deeper.

• Njabs Phungula

★★★★½ Rewatched by Njabs Phungula 08 Nov, 2015

Style over substance. The movie has many flaws but I can't get over how masterfully it's shot, edited and scored. The many long takes, the deep-focus shot in the file room, Quinlan being tailed at the end... There's a lot that this movie does very well. It's flaws, though, are obvious, like Dennis Weaver's neurotic night manager of the motel who gets more and more awkward with each viewing. I honestly can't stand him in this. Still, the movie is a pleasure to watch.