• Laerte Andrade

Rewatched by Laerte Andrade 22 May, 2015 1

The 1998 fan edit by Walter Murch based on Welles's 58-page memo.

• Sam

★★★★★ Watched by Sam 21 May, 2015

Fantastic movie

• Alex Lovendahl

★★★★ Watched by Alex Lovendahl 20 May, 2015

What an intense task, to juggle all of these characters and plotlines! Altman and Anderson both took inspiration in obvious ways, and it pays off for them brilliantly. Everyone's performances are pretty stellar, too. I suppose if I have a reason to not go wild for it, it's just not that exhilarating or mysterious a plot, and there's a lot of interesting discomfort that ultimately is fed to Quinlan's character development.

• tpkulovitz

★★★★★ Watched by tpkulovitz 10 May, 2015

A perfect example of a simple concept elevated by the talent behind the camera. This is masterful work from Orson Welles.

• Pedro Groppo

★★★★½ Rewatched by Pedro Groppo 19 May, 2015

1958 release cut

• Jake

★★★★★ Rewatched by Jake 17 May, 2015

"Yeah. That pianola sure brings back memories."
    "The customers go for it - it's so old, it's new. We got the television too. We run movies. What can I offer you?"

An epilogue.

• Steve Rogers

★★★★★ Watched by Steve Rogers 16 May, 2015

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

The restored version is magnificent. With the exception of Charlton Heston's accent, everything is bleak, miserable, threatening and beautifully done!

The car bombing perpetrator is used to set up the conflict between the Mexican official and the American detective. It is a discussion on the law and being a police officer - Orson Welles is an "excellent" detective but only because he plants evidence to convict his suspects. He may be right most of the time, due to the hunches…

• Joe

★★★★★ Rewatched by Joe 16 May, 2015

"'Course he's usin' the job ... as a cover-up."

Probably my favorite movie of all time, but I'm pretty much powerless to articulate why. One thing that hit me for this first time during this viewing happens towards the end, when Vargas and Susie drive off with their happy (albeit unlikely) endings intact - this would be where most Hollywood movies would end, but Touch of Evil goes on, staying with Hank Quinlan, floating dead in water that's so disgusting…

• Kevin Matthews

★★★★½ Added by Kevin Matthews

Written (well, he rewrote a script so much that he received credit) and directed by Orson Welles, based on the novel "Badge Of Evil" by Whit Masterson, Touch Of Evil is dark and disturbing stuff indeed. Yet it also remains highly entertaining, brilliantly cinematic, and mesmerising from start to finish.

The basic story concerns a death in a Mexican border town that sees Mexican Mike Vargas (Charlton Heston) clashing with revered Police Captain Hank Quinlan (Welles). The two men want…

• laird

★★★★★ Rewatched by laird 16 May, 2015 1

Investigation of a Citizen Kane Above Suspicion

My senior year of high school I took an after school, extracurricular filmmaking course. One day we were each supposed to bring in a favorite movie and show one scene from it and talk about the decisions the director made in executing the scene. My friend Emily brought Touch of Evil and showed the scene with a sweaty, bug-eyed Orson Welles in a netherworld hotel room hovering over an unconscious Janet Leigh and…

• Timcop

★★★★★ Rewatched by Timcop 16 May, 2015

"It's a mess! It's a stinkin' mess!"

• shakthi

★★★★★ Watched by shakthi 14 May, 2015

One of the most influencial movie i have watched in this year.
    Orson welles acting was bind blowing.After citizen kane screenplay, i admire touch of evil's screenplay.A five star rated movie which can be watched 'n' number of times.One of the competition Orson Welles left for his own movies is 'Touch of evil'.