• Carlos Rodríguez

★★★★½ Watched by Carlos Rodríguez 26 Nov, 2010

Touch of Evil displays a perfect work of storytelling, camera work, and direction. It is a magnificent motion picture that is one of Orson Welles' finest films as well one of the crowning achievements of the film-noir genre.

Right from the superb continuous tracking shot that constituted its famous opening long take to its suspenseful climax, this is a masterfully crafted and told movie that features splendid writing, some great characterizations, and certain plot devices that were somewhat ahead of…

• Colin

★★★★ Watched by Colin 12 Sep, 2014

Reefer Madness with Janet Leigh!

• Pete Laurie

★★★★ Watched by Pete Laurie 21 Aug, 2014

• Richard F

★★★★ Watched by Richard F 06 May, 2014

If you can get past the idea of Charlton Heston playing a Mexican without any type of accent and the fat prosthetics Orson Welles wore, this was a pretty damn good little movie. The cinematography was gorgeous. I watched it on TCM and I don't think it was the director's cut, so I'll have to seek that out at some point.

• Dan

★★★★ Watched by Dan 08 Sep, 2014

Note: I watched the 1998 restoration for this review.

"What does it matter what you say about people?"

I think Quinlan and Vargas would both argue it matters quite a bit, and they're not exactly so different than Vargas might think they are. One gets the impression that if things had turned out different for Janet Leigh, Vargas could have easily become a Quinlan with a touch of evil all his own. That's some smart film-making.

In fact all of…

• Kate B.

★★★★ Watched by Kate B. 06 Sep, 2014

I had forgotten why this movie was supposed to be something of a classic, and then the opening shot reminded me. This movie is overstuffed and overly ambitious, but Welles is pretty remarkable as the Sheriff. But overall, this movie was just weird--mostly in a good way.

• Njabs Phungula

★★★★½ Rewatched by Njabs Phungula 06 Sep, 2014

1998 Reconstruction Version

I can't really say which of the two cuts of the film I enjoy more. They both have their merits. In this one, Menzies explains how Quinlan got his 'game' leg. The opening of the movie also omits the credits and the original music which is now replaced by non-diegetic music cues. Very impressive.

• Caleb53

★★★★★ Watched by Caleb53 25 Aug, 2014

• TJ Duane

★★★★½ Watched by TJ Duane 25 Aug, 2014 1

Touch of Evil was one of the final film noirs of that movie type's golden age. Welles's visual symbolism heightens the pot boiler story, as well as Welles's slobby performance as the film's antagonist, which brings Shakespearean heft to a role that could have been caricature.

I feel the way after this film like I felt after watching Carol Reed's The Third Man. I want to watch it again tonight. And then maybe a third time.

• Caleb McCandless