• TajLV

★★★½ Watched by TajLV 02 Mar, 2015 3

"All border towns bring out the worst in a country." ~ Mike Vargas

When Charlton Heston squares off against Orson Welles in a film noir classic, the winner can only be one ... the audience! This was one of the last great B&W crime thrillers of the 1950s, and it delivers all the tension, twists and great acting one has come to expect of an Orson Welles production.

The story is based on the Whit Masterson novel "Badge Of Evil,"…

• Nick Kline

★★★★★ Rewatched by Nick Kline 27 Feb, 2015

This is famous as marking the end of the classic noir period, but if Kiss Me Deadly blew up noir, then Touch of Evil is its eulogy. The film’s moral tension, particularly in its ending, is no doubt a hallmark of the genre. Its examination of Hank Quinlan’s justice forces us to contemplate the cost of its moral rot. His assertion that he didn’t frame anyone who wasn’t guilty seems to be supported by the confession to the bombing (both…

• Chip

★★★★★ Rewatched by Chip 28 Feb, 2015

My favorite Welles movie.

• sschuster

★★★★★ Rewatched by sschuster 27 Feb, 2015

35mm print. Orson's second masterpiece, in my opinion. Glad it got reedited to his specs, otherwise we would be missing out on a great picture.

• il_dima

★★★★½ Watched by il_dima 14 Feb, 2015

Avantgarde forme and subject. An immortal classic.

• Timothy Youngs

★★★★★ Watched by Timothy Youngs 09 Oct, 2014

If you watch this last Noir film ever made for nothing else, watch it for the long and amazing opening shot. Divine.

• Christian Flemm

★★★★½ Watched by Christian Flemm 16 Feb, 2015

Insane. The character of Hank Quinlan is pretty much how I imagine Welles during the last few years of his life.

The music during the climax has to be some of the sleaziest scoring ever in a noir picture.

EDIT: Is this noir? It's awfully late-period if it is.

• Brett Leach

★★★★★ Rewatched by Brett Leach 16 Feb, 2015

Perfect.

• Alan

★★★★½ Watched by Alan 15 Feb, 2015

Really enjoyable.

The hokey night manager is terrible and ruins every scene he is in, but the rest is damn good.

Not the most emotionally engaging work, but it has such outstanding camerawork, framing, and composition that it is hard to dock it too much.

• Joel Karpowitz

★★★★½ Watched by Joel Karpowitz 14 Feb, 2015

Yep. Even with Mexican Charlton Heston this still stands out as raw and gritty and bare in a way so many movies of the era aren't. And man, oh man, between the grotesque Oraon Welles and the sexy Janet Leigh, this film has character, corruption, and craft to spare! Handheld shots, wild angles, and that opening! I'll be watching again soon.

(This time through I watched the blu-ray Reconstructed version. Pretty great.)

• rvonkampen

Watched by rvonkampen 11 Feb, 2015

I started this movie several times over several years without ever finishing it. Somehow the 50s noir just does not hit me the way the 40s noir does, even with Orson Welles involved. However, having finally made it to the end of the movie I can really say that is where it really shines for me. For several false starts, I am glad that I followed it through to the close; it was well worth it. Now back to French movies!

• Jumpingfrog

★★★★ Watched by Jumpingfrog 10 Feb, 2015

Janet Leigh really should stay away from motels!

Orson Welles was initially hired to just act in this film, Charlton Heston was hired to star, Heston apparently thought Welles would be directing as well, when he eventually discovered he wasn't he refused to do the film unless Welles took over, more or less against the studios wishes, this has created problems with the film for over fifty years, on one hand it's a masterpiece on the other, a mess.

The…