• Homermaler

★★★ Watched by Homermaler 17 Jan, 2016

The southern accent really is the Autofellatio of languages.

• FilmApe

★★★★★ Rewatched by FilmApe 05 Feb, 2016

Sometimes people surprise you, and people going out in droves to see this, grossing the film 252.2 million bucks, definitely surprised me. True Grit deserves these accolades and riches, no doubt, but the film is no way a film made accessible for the masses. The extremely loose three act structure, and especially the rapid melancholy end, does not scream blockbuster to me, but alas, for some strange reason, this flick just clicked with people. Yup, sometimes people surprise you.

• Alex_Baratheon

★★★★½ Rewatched by Alex_Baratheon 03 Feb, 2016

Modern cinema seems to be stuck in a period devoid of any creativity, churning out nothing but sequels and remakes, with the latter usually ending up as little more than attempts to cash-in on the legacy of beloved classics. But occasionally, you get a something like True Grit, a film which not only reanimates a decades-old story for modern audiences, but does so in a genuinely soulful way, something which not many remakes can pull off.

That source material is…

• Hunter Ruth

★★★½ Rewatched by Hunter Ruth 05 Feb, 2016

I'll preface by saying I've never seen the original, so I don't know how this compares, but Joel & Ethan Coen are undoubtedly my favorite directors.

Like many of the Coen Brothers films, True Grit features stunning performances from a stellar cast, awe-inspiring visuals from the man himself, Roger Deakins, and tons of charm and humor sprinkled throughout.

Jeff Bridges and Matt Damon were great as expected, but most surprising to me is the superb acting from then 14 year-old Hailee…

• Micah McCoy

★★★★ Watched by Micah McCoy 04 Feb, 2016

Bad Blake plays the Duke.

• dbgirl

★★★½ Added by dbgirl

This is not really any unique movie, but I gave it more stars because of few great acting works (Jeff Bridges and that little girl, for example) and beautiful shooting and a clear idea what this movie should be like. This didn't feel like a Coen movie, even it had some (black) humour in it, but the question is: does a movie really have to look like its maker(s)? I think it never has to, all it needs is that it is good.

• Jason Eaken

★★★★★ Added by Jason Eaken

Those who feel this is Mainstream Coen Bros should look again. All of their telltale themes are there, the black humor, the wonderful, random characters.

It's a truly great film.

• PhatDave

★★★½ Watched by PhatDave 03 Feb, 2016

Great Western from the always reliable Coen Brothers. Jeff Bridges gives a typically stellar performance as boozy veteran U.S Marshal Rooster Cogburn and Hailee Steinfeld offers one of the best child actor performances in recent memory.

The cinematography in this film is incredible as is the costume and set design. I may need to search for the 1969 original based on Charles Portis' novel.

• MrJago

★★★★½ Watched by MrJago 04 Feb, 2016

Such a gorgeous film and I could listen to these characters talk all day <3

• bookshopgirl212

★★★★½ Rewatched by bookshopgirl212 04 Feb, 2016

This is so utterly beautiful, I could cry

• Mactroid

★★★★½ Added by Mactroid

Muito bem atuado e dirigido.

• oh_dae_su

★★★★½ Rewatched by oh_dae_su 04 Feb, 2016

I am sure that in every way, acting, direction and most especially writing, this is a better movie than the original. That is not to say that the 1969 version was bad, not the best of John Wayne, but not bad.

But the big test must be whether or not it can supplant the original in one's consciousness. And for me I'm afraid that it doesn't, at least not yet.

Maybe it's that I have lived too long with the…