• Dave Holmes

★★★★½ Added by Dave Holmes

Thank God for the Coen Brothers. They might be growing up, but they are still awesome. True Grit ain't flawless (it's a little meandering in the first hour) but it's yet another masterpiece from these guys, who not only consistently make some of the freshest and most original pics in Hollywood, they also keep surprising their fan base by rarely sticking to one genre or style for too long.

Yet in many ways, True Grit is pure Coen: a mixed…

• katakarin

★★★★ Watched by katakarin 28 Sep, 2015

Film #11 of the "September 2015 Scavenger Hunt" Challenge
    Task #10: A western or frontier film!
    My first thought on finishing True Grit (aside from needing to pee and that this was a great movie) was that if the “original” is so much better, I really need to watch that original. This was very, very good. The leads are superb, the supporting cast excellent as well. The locations are hard, unforgiving, and makes me want to add…

• Andrew D.

★★★★ Watched by Andrew D. 25 Sep, 2015

This totally feels like a classic western: the pacing leading up to a climax is handled like a film of the golden age of westerns, the theme is very american, wild west-ish, and the accents were convincing enough. A pleasant surprise in more than one way, as I was expecting a more action-oriented movie.

Bridges steals the show, gets the funniest moments and makes the audience think of him as a goofy old man initially, which makes the ending more…

• Richard Bellamy

★★½ Rewatched by Richard Bellamy 19 Sep, 2015

Good movie but mostly what this movie does is substantiate the superiority of John Wayne's Cogburn and the vast superiority of Duvall as Ned and the inimitable beauty of the locations in the 1969 version including the the Hot Creek, California, location of the cabin which I visited this year. In your face, Cohens, you frickin' egotistical snobs of dubious talent.

• Alex Vieira

★★★½ Watched by Alex Vieira 14 Sep, 2015

Os irmãos Coen são dois cineastas que gostem de construir tramas que no decorrer da fita toma proporções radicais. Tudo parece que fica de pernas para o ar, e os seus personagens são colocadas em situações incomuns que comprometem completamente as suas vidas. Em True Grit, os realizadores quebram tal fórmula, entregando desde o princípio da metragem uma previsão de tudo o que o filme tem para mostrar.

Este facto deixou-me decepcionado. Este western do cinema contemporâneo nomeado a 10…

• Helen

★★★★ Added by Helen

Admittedly I've not seen the original. Nor will I probably get around to it. I did enjoy this one though.

A brilliant, strong female lead in Hailee Steinfeld probably helped. She was great and the fact that she didn't slip into the shadows of the seasoned Bridges, Brolin or Damon are a testament to her. I can't recall having seen much else of her so I need to get on IMDB and sort that out.

A simple enough plot but well done and strong characters all around. Some great scenery in it too.

• jcase95

★★★★½ Rewatched by jcase95 05 Sep, 2015

Simply as good as a remake can get. True Grit brings the classic western to the 21st century. Joel and Ethan Cohen were the best people possible to make this film. Not only does this match its predecessor in every way but it exceeds it. Given the Cohen's style and master shot heavy cinematography, it makes sense that they would tackle a true western at some point or another. This was actually my first introduction to the brothers back in…

• Bernardo Villela

★★★★ Added by Bernardo Villela

One-Line Review: It’s a plot that’s simple enough but also intriguing enough that it naturally becomes a character study without ever being tiresome.

Full Mini-Review here: themovierat.com/2015/08/23/mini-review-true-grit/

• BennyWestside

★★★★½ Added by BennyWestside

I enjoyed this better than the original.

Seeing as how I'm not one of those John Wayne fanboys, it makes sense. Jeff Bridges brings something new to the character of Rooster Cogburn and I could believe that Matt Damon was a Texas Ranger.

• Carl

★★★★ Watched by Carl 30 Aug, 2015

“You must pay for everything in this world, one way and another. There is nothing free except the grace of God.”

I am very new to the Western genre. I have only watched 3 of them, with High Noon which I enjoyed, Django Unchained that I need to rewatch and this years Slow West which I greatly enjoyed and I was very curious to check out the Coen Brother’s western in True Grit. When it comes to the Coen Brother’s,…

• Conan Tan

★★★½ Watched by Conan Tan 24 Jul, 2015

A great film that just happened to be released in a year with tough competition for the Best Picture. It would not have completely worked if it were not for the acting of Hailee Steinfeld in addition to the acting of the older actors.

• Jordan

★★★★ Watched by Jordan 29 Aug, 2015

It's a very solid film but something felt off. The performances are excellent (especially from Hailee Steinfeld), the directing was great and the blend of somewhat subtle comedy and action was smooth. The film looks beautiful but I think my main issue is the story. It felt very straight-forward with no surprises and other than Steinfeld's character, not much emotion. Maybe my opinion will change on re-watch (Don't get me wrong, I loved the film I just expected it to be absolutely PERFECT) but as of now it's just a great movie.