• cronic

★★★½ Added by cronic

7,5/10

• Sc8lo

★★★ Watched by Sc8lo 17 Feb, 2011

I actually enjoyed this movie. The kid was a lot better than Kim Darby. One thing that really bugged me was that i remember the Cohens saying they want back to the source material for this. So how is it that it is an almost scene for scene remake?

• Steve Grzesiak

★★★★½ Watched by Steve Grzesiak 24 Jul, 2014 30

Easy As ABC

"I need unguent" - Steve G Does The Coens

Looks like the Coens can do remakes after all!*

It's probably a strange thing to open a review with, but I want to get something that really irritated me out of the way first regarding one of the few negative reviews of True Grit that I saw when flicking through Rotten Tomatoes.

Some git called Rex Reed claimed that Jeff Bridges was crap in this because his performance…

• Lobezno Estepario

★★★ Watched by Lobezno Estepario 13 Jul, 2012

Todo es de altura en ella y a la vez transmite apatía durante demasiado rato. La chica protagonista va a ser enorme, Jeff Bridges siempre lo es y Matt Damon... bueno, cambiemos de tema.

• Matt Suppes

★★★★½ Rewatched by Matt Suppes 21 Jul, 2014

It's amazing to think the Coen Bros made this movie between Llewyn Davis and A Serious Man, two movies that can firmly be described as pictures only the Coens could pull off. And yet between those two decidedly Coen movies is this straight-up western, from 2000-fucking-ten of all years, and were you to see this blindly, the brothers' names popping up in the credits might come as a bit of a shock. Granted, you might be able to identify it…

• Zuzana K.

★★★★★ Watched by Zuzana K. 09 Jul, 2014

Just...perfection.

• Jeffrey Overstreet

★★★★½ Added by Jeffrey Overstreet

My original review of this film is published at Looking Closer.

Excerpt:

The Coen Brothers’ first Western gives us three important stories to consider.

The first is the story of what happens when a young justice seeker, Mattie Ross, hires the ruthless manhunter Rooster Cogburn to track down the vigilante who shot and killed her father. It’s a compelling story. Can 14-year-old Mattie make a journey into the violent, lawless wilderness and achieve justice without losing her soul, her innocence,…

• Bastiaan

★★★★½ Watched by Bastiaan 08 Jul, 2014 6

wow I liked this one a lot. some characters are almost ridiculous but still feel very human. great job on that :)

• Glen Grunau

★★★★ Watched by Glen Grunau 23 Sep, 2011

This movie bonded me and my son Luke to the Coen Brothers and their gift of movie making. We first saw it in Prince George together in the theater. This date was when I watched it for the second time on Blu-Ray.

• KyleMiller

★★★★ Rewatched by KyleMiller 01 Jul, 2014

The 2010 remake of True Grit is probably the most elegantly shot western I have ever seen. The performances are all unanimously exceptional. The soundtrack is superb as well. What more could you ask for?

• Knox Gray

★★★★★ Added by Knox Gray

I was blown away by Haliee Stienfield in this film, she deserved the Oscar that year.

• Wilson

★★★★½ Rewatched by Wilson 24 Jun, 2014

You must pay for everything in this world, one way and another. There is nothing free except the grace of God.