• soussi1

★★★ Watched by soussi1 26 Jan, 2015

True Grit is a great and satisfying western adventure film. Its a story of friendship and redemption. The Coen Brothers made this film which I now believe is one of their best work. Jeff Bridges plays as the town's best bounty hunter, who gives a very good and likable performance. Now making his character (Rooster Cogburn) one of the most loved western legends. It does a good job on capturing the time period set in the wild west back in…

• Panta Oz

★★★★ Added by Panta Oz

I finally managed to see the latest Coen brothers movie with their own unique stamp on it! They successfully introduced much rougher version of the lawman Rooster Cogburn (Jeff Bridges) who is bit more gritty and less likeable but a version which fits perfectly with the determined young 14-year-old lady by the name of Mattie Ross (Hailee Steinfeld) who is looking to avenge the murder of her father. The chemistry brought to the big screen between Bridges and Steinfeld was…

• Luke McGowan

★★★★ Watched by Luke McGowan 04 Dec, 2014

Excelling in everything from costumes to score to script to direction, and featuring strong performances, True Grit is clearly the finest performance in the Coen brothers resume. Hailee Steinfeld gives a gorgeous and memorable performance that alone justifies her emergence into the Hollywood scene.

• Joshua Hoover

★★★★ Watched by Joshua Hoover 21 Jan, 2015

I always have to remind myself that this is a Coen brothers movie. This has to be their most traditional narrative and it works. Gorgeous looking, funny, and sentimental. A remake, but well worth it.

• Arwen

Watched by Arwen 19 Jan, 2015

really good movie. excellent story telling

• Jason MD-P

★★★★ Added by Jason MD-P

Great performances all around. Great atmosphere. I saw this right after seeing the original, so Steinfeld's performance took some getting used to, as it was probably the most distinct difference between the two films.

• KillerBOB

★★★★½ Watched by KillerBOB 27 Feb, 2011

R15
    Monte

• Davis McCardle

★★★★ Rewatched by Davis McCardle 19 Jan, 2015

Maybe the best shot Western of all time, at least in recent memory.

• Jimmy Bobo

★★★★½ Rewatched by Jimmy Bobo 19 Jan, 2015

True Grit could easily be an excised book from the Old Testament set in the 19th century America, as the unforgiving grips of the Coen Brothers feel little restraint in cuddling their characters.

• Kel

★★★★ Watched by Kel 04 Dec, 2014

Faithful to the book. Mattie is one of my favorite female characters ever. She's not perfect, she's just a girl, but she's smart and badass when she needs to be. Her final appearance, the final shot of the film and its accompanying song, is just lovely.

• Nadine Keels

★★★★½ Added by Nadine Keels

"Stand up, Tom Chaney!"

• Cinematic Justice

★★★★ Watched by Cinematic Justice 30 Jan, 2010

Great all-around acting (I was especially impressed by child actor Hailee Steinfeld in her debut), very distinctive tone and overall voice, and just genuinely one of the best Westerns I've ever seen.