• BennyWestside

★★★★½ Added by BennyWestside

I enjoyed this better than the original.

Seeing as how I'm not one of those John Wayne fanboys, it makes sense. Jeff Bridges brings something new to the character of Rooster Cogburn and I could believe that Matt Damon was a Texas Ranger.

• Carl

★★★★ Watched by Carl 30 Aug, 2015

“You must pay for everything in this world, one way and another. There is nothing free except the grace of God.”

I am very new to the Western genre. I have only watched 3 of them, with High Noon which I enjoyed, Django Unchained that I need to rewatch and this years Slow West which I greatly enjoyed and I was very curious to check out the Coen Brother’s western in True Grit. When it comes to the Coen Brother’s,…

• Conan Tan

★★★½ Watched by Conan Tan 24 Jul, 2015

A great film that just happened to be released in a year with tough competition for the Best Picture. It would not have completely worked if it were not for the acting of Hailee Steinfeld in addition to the acting of the older actors.

• Jordan

★★★★ Watched by Jordan 29 Aug, 2015

It's a very solid film but something felt off. The performances are excellent (especially from Hailee Steinfeld), the directing was great and the blend of somewhat subtle comedy and action was smooth. The film looks beautiful but I think my main issue is the story. It felt very straight-forward with no surprises and other than Steinfeld's character, not much emotion. Maybe my opinion will change on re-watch (Don't get me wrong, I loved the film I just expected it to be absolutely PERFECT) but as of now it's just a great movie.

• Jorge Candamo

★★★½ Watched by Jorge Candamo 29 Aug, 2015

Me funciona bastante bien como western, pero hasta ahí.
    Creo que los Coen querían expresar demasiado en un ambiente que quizá no beneficie de todo su manera de narrar. Y la idea del final tan sentimental tampoco me funciona ya que no llego a conectar con ninguno de los personajes especialmente, por lo que me sobran esas secuencias en las que se ve a la chica protagonista de adulta y sin un brazo. Es una buena aventura, pero con ese…

• nrbeaton

★★★★ Watched by nrbeaton 30 Jan, 2011

Great performances and direction, but it felt like there should have been a bit more there.

• VChile

★★★★★ Rewatched by VChile 27 Aug, 2015

Lives up to the title. Cogburn is a man of true grit, but it took a lot of sand to remake this as well. And Roger Deakins - what can I say?

• BurtReynolds

★★★★½ Rewatched by BurtReynolds 21 Aug, 2015

It has a few very minor problems (it's score among them), but this is mostly masterful.

• FilmGuy1997

★★★★ Added by FilmGuy1997

Not the Coen's best film, but the performances and Roger Deakins' cinematography elevate it.

• Gregory Porter

★★★ Added by Gregory Porter

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

Bottom line: True Grit is a Cohen adventure, and a lovely, cinematic one at that, but doesn't excite me as much as their other works.

I don't know about your Dad but mine is a huge John Wayne fan. He loves almost all of his movies. Almost, I say, because he doesn’t like True Grit (1969). Why? He is a fan of the corny character that John Wayne always plays: the same lines and role no matter the nationality. True…

• sikaffy

★★★★½ Watched by sikaffy 15 Aug, 2015

I hate Western genre, but I love this film. That's how good the Coen brothers are.

• CartoonSA

★★★★ Watched by CartoonSA 05 Jul, 2015

Why remake a classic? When the remake blows the original so far out of the water it's ridiculous that's why(more on this later). Apparently the Cohen Bro's had read the book the original was based on and thought the first didn't do the book justice. The snake bite down the hole scene was the one sour note in an otherwise great cinema experience.