• Voreal

★★★★★ Added by Voreal

Maldita sea otra vez nojoda, maldito rimeik, maldita sea los coen, como los amo

• JSusanka

Rewatched by JSusanka 22 Apr, 2015

Like my recent re-watch of "No Country for Old Men," I was particularly struck by the technical and artistic mastery this time around.

I love the way the Coens jump into and out of scenes with very little warning; really gives the script an impetuous it might otherwise lack because we always feel a little bit like we're catching up.

I love everything about Roger Deakins' work, but especially the way the shot of Rooster outside the trading post is…

• JohnAllegretti

Added by JohnAllegretti

DVD

• fultoncharlie

★★★½ Watched by fultoncharlie 20 Jul, 2011

I've never been a fan of the Coen brothers' smarty-pants movies, but found this to be a fairly satisfying attempt of theirs to sit at the grown-ups table, much more so than NO COUNTRY. I liked serious Steinfeld and Damon's foppish turn. Also liked the bleak locations, a stark contrast, it seems, from the bucolic ones used in the '69 version I've yet to see. Minuses: "stylized" dialogue via non-use of contractions & the smarty-pants channeling of THE NIGHT OF THE HUNTER. 7/10

• fatpie42

★★★★½ Watched by fatpie42 24 Jul, 2011 1

The Coen Brothers are, on the one hand, absolutely brilliant. However, on the other hand, the Coen Brothers are often rather weird and their quirkiness can occasionally rub the wrong way. Personally I loved their previous contribution, "A Serious Man", but an issue that was common to both that and the Coens' movie before that ("No Country For Old Men") was their abrupt and strange endings. (The ending of A Serious Man actually seems to fit the general theme of…

• Alex Tărău

★★★★½ Rewatched by Alex Tărău 09 Apr, 2015

Film #30 (the last one) of the "Scavenger Hunt" Challenge!
    Task #29 : A Revenge film!

I'm not usually into western movies, but this one is gold.
    The core of the film is the directional style of the Coen Brothers. In my opinion, a western has to be tough, and many of them don't succeed to. Just like Tarantino's, the Coen Brothers' style is filled with bloodshed, violence and obsecinities - just what a western needs in order to be…

• Zé Walderico

★★★★½ Added by Zé Walderico

Exelente filme! Enredo, dialogos, história e personagens marcantes, o filme é simplesmente o melhor o west que vi ultimamente, compre!

• Mike Sharp

★★★★ Watched by Mike Sharp 03 Apr, 2015

Movie Night: Coen Brothers Theme.

Mattie, the 14 year old heroine of the picture has got True Grit. Avenging the murder of her father she sets out to hire the meanest US Marshall there is to track down and bring her father's killer to justice. Ain't nothing gonna get in her way.

This is a well cast movie. Hailee Steinfeld is very severe in her dealings with the adults around her. She almost always gets the upper hand and is…

• Tim Lawrence

★★★★★ Rewatched by Tim Lawrence 02 Apr, 2015

The Coens effortlessly produce another masterpiece, a flawless bit of genre work grounded by their typically memorable and idiosyncratic characters.

• John Roberts

★★★ Watched by John Roberts 02 Jun, 2012

Solid re-imagining of the John Wayne story.

• Jeremy Clark

★★★★ Added by Jeremy Clark

Based on the beloved 1968 novel by Arkansas writer Charles Portis, True Grit is an American classic featuring scenes of galvanic violence, befitting a true Wild West tale. The film has an adventurous spirit that's also sneakily comic, with humor that rises from the sharply drawn characters and the impeccable dialogue they spout. Even better, the deft touch of Joel and Ethan Coen does a great job incorporating their dark, idiosyncratic humor amidst the palpable suspense. It is a classic tall tale, well told.

• rasmafarian

★★★ Watched by rasmafarian 28 Mar, 2015

Great script, mediocre acting. Good for entertainment, but nothing more.