• Jacob Gehman

★★★★½ Added by Jacob Gehman

Even though Jeff Bridges, Matt Damon, and Josh Brolin take top billing, it is Hailee Steinfeld who steals the show. Her portrayal of Mattie is much more believable here than in the original True Grit (probably because Kim Darby would have been around 30 years old at the time of the filming--no 30 year old is going to look 14, thus, no 30 year old will be believable in the role).

Steinfeld delivers her hard-ass lines with conviction, making her…

• BazbauersT

★★★★ Added by BazbauersT

BETTER THAN THE ORIGINAL ONE

• lantio

★★★★½ Watched by lantio 18 Oct, 2014

True Grit is a remake of an old 1960's western classic starring John Wayne. Now I must admit I have not seen the original however now I intend to because I really enjoyed this film. I thought Hailee Steinfeld's performance was excellent as was Jeff Bridges' and Matt Damon's. This is certainly a rather different film for the Coen Brothers but I really enjoyed it.

• JustCarlos99

★★★★½ Watched by JustCarlos99 17 Oct, 2014

I don't hate to admit it, after watching the original, the Coen brothers did it better. Like John Wayne, Jeff Bridges is really good as Rooster Cogburn and Hailee Steinfield did a better Mattie Ross.

• Andrew

★★★★½ Rewatched by Andrew 10 Oct, 2014

This is The Coen Brother's blockbuster. It's the most purely entertaining film they've made and an astounding piece of work from everyone involved.

I dropped it half a star though after this re watch.

The reason for this slight drop in delight was mainly due to the final 10 minutes or so but that's not the only reason. From the moment Jeff Bridges sucks out the poison and transports her to a doc to the end credits. I loved that…

• PointMan528491

★★★★★ Added by PointMan528491

Westerns were all the rage during the birth and growth of film itself, but it wasn't until the 1960s and 70s that they really grew popular. The "spaghetti westerns," movies made in Italy or Spain, but with American actors, most notably Sergio Leone's trilogy of Westerns featuring the legendary Clint Eastwood. Another notable Western was 1969's True Grit, based on the novel of the same name. The film starred John Wayne and was directed by Henry Hathaway, which earned the…

• spacegirlgail

★★★★ Added by spacegirlgail

I've never seen the original but I loved this. Smart and funny. Everyone was great but Hailee Steinfeld was incredible. Not sure how a 13 year old can pull that off.

• Ed Scheid

★★★★★ Rewatched by Ed Scheid 01 Oct, 2014

The Coens have made a terrific Western from a strong script they co-wrote. Jeff Bridges makes his own colorful spin on the iconic role of the eye-patch wearing, drunken, but still formidable Rooster Cogburn. Hailee Steinfeld as the young girl who hires Rooster to avenge her father's death and Matt Damon as a Texas ranger who accompanies them are also impressive.Throughout, the Coen's have skillfully staged well-paced action scenes, including Rooster's rousing climactic gunfight. The film is also enhanced by superb cinematographic images from Roger Deakins. This film has grit.

• Andrew Hurley

★★★★ Watched by Andrew Hurley 04 Mar, 2011

Arclight Hollywood
    19:40
    Screen 2, Seat N24

• Jørgen Alvestad

★★★ Watched by Jørgen Alvestad 30 Sep, 2014

I have to say I'm a little disappointed. I was disappointed when I saw the 1969 version some months ago, and therefore expected the Coens' version to be somewhat better, but in the end I think I prefer the original. John Wayne's turn as Rooster Cogburn is probably the weakest role I've seen from him (which is a bit ironic as it's the role that finally won him an Academy Award), but he still managed to give real life to…

• Sarfaraz Abbasi

★★★★½ Added by Sarfaraz Abbasi

John Wayne John Wayne, when I saw poster of film, I knew this was it. John Wayne has given almost all of his career-long performance in this flick, and got away with Oscar for Best Actor. Marshal Rooster will always be the character, the coming generation would cherish about. Kim Darby did her level-best performance; moreover Robert Duvall, it totally enthralled me, and why shouldn't it; Duvall was perfect choice for Lucky Ned Pepper role. Awesome flick, a must see once a month.

• D'Kota Green

★★★★½ Rewatched by D'Kota Green 23 Sep, 2014

This one gets better with age, from the gorgeous cinematography to the flowing, verbose dialogue. So, it's a Coen Brothers film.
    "Chased him right off the map." Uncharted territory, both geographically and characteristically.