• Kirk Gospel

★★★★ Watched by Kirk Gospel 01 Jun, 2015

This was far simpler than i was expecting and i think that's what worked in it's favour. A lot of westerns spend a lot of time employing tropes and cliches but this one doesn't.

• squeeezeme

★★★★ Watched by squeeezeme 30 May, 2015

J

• hellybe

★★★★ Watched by hellybe 31 May, 2015

Very good western.

• rorystevenson

★★★½ Watched by rorystevenson 29 May, 2015

A perfectly solid western.

• Brett Hatten

★★★★½ Added by Brett Hatten

Very well done. It's got just about anything to satisfy everyone and it really works well.

• moofe

★★★★★ Rewatched by moofe 28 May, 2015

Having recently read the books I decided to revisit the film. It was wonderfully adapted I think, pulling the essential part of the book- true grit- and portraying it well. Dropping some things here and adding others there they stuck close to the book but did what the coens will. They also played with the idea of life and death and what it means to be living and growing old. As well as trust and friendship. It was well directed and kept on queue with some beautiful shots to accompany.

• Simon9688

★★★ Added by Simon9688

A reasonable film but I found it really flat & lacking in intensity.

• MogulsReview

★★★★ Added by MogulsReview

A really good script with many humorous lines mixed in. The Coen Brothers are good at that.

Jeff Bridges steals the show, and the girl plays her role extremely well. Damon and Brolin are good, although the latter does not feature much.

A good watch.

• Alex Vaughan

★★★★½ Watched by Alex Vaughan 25 May, 2015

At least once a month I have a conversation(/argument) about whether or not remakes should be made. I have always been a believer that a remake is never a bad thing because it can't spoil my enjoyment of the original even if it is terrible. The original John Wayne film is a classic and I had many reservations about seeing this retelling but I left them at the door as I started watching this, and I was right to do…

• ericmarsh

★★★★★ Rewatched by ericmarsh 23 May, 2015

"You must pay for everything in this world one way or another.....there is nothing free except the gracr of God..."

and so begins... well, an absolute masterpiece of cinema from the Coens, so performance-centric that the acting from all involved mermerizes you, lifts you, caresses you and astounds.

Bridges, fresh from his Oscar win is nominated again for his turn as Rooster Cogburn, the role made famous by the one and only John Wayne (himself winning the Osar back in…

• Ed Glendenning

★★★★ Rewatched by Ed Glendenning 21 May, 2015

The Coen Brother's, True Grit, is every bit as authentic and sprawling as any classic of the genre.

• NeutronPong

★★★★ Watched by NeutronPong 05 Aug, 2011

Hailee Steinfeld was a force of nature! Sure she had great lines, but how many twice her age have faltered in like roles?