• Daniel Charchuk

★★★★ Watched by Daniel Charchuk 15 Dec, 2010

It's very, very good - not quite great. It's an interesting deconstruction of Western archetypes and values, seen through the eyes of a child, but it needed to be a bit longer and end more emphatically. Brolin's role is limited to little more than a cameo, and it hurts the film, I think, to have him dispatched so easily. But as a child's view of violence and masculinity in the Old West, it's pretty intriguing. Plus it's brilliantly scripted and…

• Oscar Rosales

★★★½ Watched by Oscar Rosales 15 Apr, 2014

I think the fact that I had watched the original recently was the first thing working against my enjoyment of the Coens' True Grit, and not because I think the original is better (but I do) as I try to judge it on its own merit, but rather because I already knew how most scenes would turn out, and the predictability made it way too tiring. Sure, the Coens add some great dialogue and new scenes but the whole enterprise…

• Aaron T. Rex

★★★★★ Rewatched by Aaron T. Rex 16 Apr, 2014

Just gets better. The language is on a level so far above anything that it is hard to understand. Bridges and Damon have got to be one of the greatest pairings ever, and on top of their talking-duels you get a fantastic Hailee Steinfeld. I won't even mention Deakins.

• Rongo

★★★★ Rewatched by Rongo 15 Feb, 2014

Excellent Western with a compelling story and brilliant acting.

• cineedo
  • Benjamin Devasir

★★★★★ Watched by Benjamin Devasir 12 Apr, 2014

One of the easiest 5 star ratings I've ever given. I haven't watched a Coen Brothers movie I haven't fallen in love with yet.

Ha! I totally guessed the voice of the lawyer right. Knew it had to be Simmons.

• Matt Lawson

★★★ Added by Matt Lawson

This movie definitely works better the second time, because when you fall asleep you don't have to ask if you missed anything.

Love the language! Great comebacks.

• CorduroyBear

★★★★ Watched by CorduroyBear 09 Apr, 2014

I decided to watch this after seeing the wonderful No Country just this past weekend. I didn't like it as much, but it was still a fun watch. The cinematography was excellent, which is really par for course with Roger Deakins. Jeff Bridges was great, but Hailee Steinfeld absolutely stole the show. Easily the best performance I've seen from a teenager in recent memory. Not my favorite Coen picture, but it is a very solid Western nonetheless.

• stickybeak

★★★ Watched by stickybeak 04 Apr, 2014

Remake, with extra grit, most of it lodged in Jeff Bridges throat.

• Aracno

★★★★ Watched by Aracno 05 Apr, 2014

Great. Just great.

• Mauricio Xavier

★★★★ Watched by Mauricio Xavier 30 Mar, 2014 2

Between this, Burn After Reading and A Serious Man, just saw three Coen movies in one day, in the theater, for the equivalent of two dollars and sixty-five cents. Feel like I robbed a fucking bank.

True Grit is the most conventional film of theirs I've seen so far (I hear Intolerable Cruelty is the all-time winner there), but the Coens playing by the "blockbuster" rules are still the Coens. Gripping story about a girl's first meeting with grey morality…

• Larry Johnson

★★★★½ Rewatched by Larry Johnson 30 Mar, 2014

Watched on Blu-ray, wonderful.