• Michael

★★★ Rewatched by Michael 16 Jan, 2015

It's a lot of fun to look at with rich, detailed sets and lots of motion (even when we're confined underground). The near constant brass band propels the movie and lends excitement and charm even when the movie meanders and the story sags and drags. Worth a watch.

• ghostdinosaur

★★★ Watched by ghostdinosaur 16 Jan, 2015

As a satire of the idea that historical epics can ever teach you anything about the reality of experiencing war, about the people who are regarded as war heroes, about their true motivations for participation, I enjoy a lot of what this movie has to say. Unfortunately Emir Kusturica's circus seems destined never to affect me the way I want it to. On paper I love the idea of an anarchic cartoon of history with wall-to-wall brass music, but both…

• Shervin Ghiami

★★★★★ Watched by Shervin Ghiami 13 Jan, 2015

Once Upon a Time In America meets Late Fellini. Unlike most war films, Underground forgoes the epic, depressive approach in favor of the vivacious and surreal. This creates an apathetic atmosphere in which the death of beloved individuals means nothing - and is this not what war is? A sacrifice of the individual in favor of the whole?

It is not a flippant work, nor is it overly sentimental. Underground is an immersive yet fun experience, and a perfect addition to the history of cinema.

• Ivan Milke

★★★ Added by Ivan Milke

I saw integral version on premiere in Sava Centar
    so boring and so long...

• Forrest Cardamenis

★★★ Watched by Forrest Cardamenis 02 Jan, 2015

Funny, enjoyable, well-made etc. but I can't help but find myself in partial agreement with this, from Stanko Cerović, the director of the Serbo-Croatian editorial department of Radio France Internationale:

"That Kusturica is consciously making propaganda, rather than merely being a victim of aesthetic inspiration gone politically wrong, is proved by his use of documentary material. Wherever possible he uses films that discredit either other Yugoslav nations or the 'rotten West conspiring against Serbs'. We are thus presented with archival…

• Jeva Lange

★★ Watched by Jeva Lange 03 Jan, 2015

"Underground" was released in the US only one month before the Bosnian Serb Army murdered 8,000 Bosniaks in Srebrenica. Keeping in mind that Kusturica's film was written and shot in the midst of a genocide, it's hard to shake the feeling that it is also (disturbingly) nationalistic and pro-Serbian.

Absent from "Underground," notably, is any acknowledgment whatsoever of the ethnic cleansing, let alone any criticism of it -- despite the final third of film hand-wringing over the '92 civil war.…

• Willie Krischke

★★★½ Watched by Willie Krischke 22 Dec, 2014

It took me a while to get into it, but that's ok, but it's 3 hours. When you've warmed up to it, it's both funny, dark, and full of commentary on history. Good stuff.

• Andrew

★★★★★ Watched by Andrew 30 Nov, 2014 3

Probably the best film no one hears about, Underground is so full of life yet soaked in death.

The director, Emir Kusturica has somehow turned the real world into a Fellini party, a Lubitsch romance with Alex Cox punk poetry mixed with Powell and Pressburger cinematic weight.

At 2 hours and 45 minutes Underground only ever rests when the chapter cards appear on screen. Starting with a mentally challenged innocent young man at a zoo trying to protect a chimp…

• Kartik Singh

★★★★★ Watched by Kartik Singh 05 Jun, 2014

The image of the zoo being bombed out. So much aliveness in this film. He's the most similar to Fellini of contemporary directors.

• Douglas Robinson

★★★ Rewatched by Douglas Robinson 12 Oct, 2014

Started out real strong but somewhere along the way forgot it was supposed to be dumb comedic shenanigans.

• Andrew Robinson

★★ Watched by Andrew Robinson 12 Oct, 2014

If I could have just the first 70 mins of this movie and cut to the final scene, it would be a lot better... but still not great.

The energy of this movie is right for so long... a lot of it reminded me of that scene with the accordion in HOLY MOTORS (my favourite scene of that movie)

• zuhair vazir

★★★ Added by zuhair vazir

Very few films come across as ferociously politically incorrect as 'Underground (Podzemlje)'. In the beginning we witness Belgrade being torn apart in the wake of WWI (1928), through the laconic eyes of Serbian director Emir Kusturica. To have a voracious appetite for film, in way of brilliant execution, of this war-child is commendable.

To understand and appreciate the film in its entirety; the tongue-in-cheek; the slapstick; the histrionics of the Yugoslavian war and theater together, we must know the history…