• sbat86

★★★★ Watched by sbat86 17 Aug, 2014

A strange and wonderful film about the horrors of war and the resilience of people. Manages to blend the sensibilities of both Kafka and Fellini backed by a lively Eastern European brass band. I'll admit I was pretty befuddled by the whole thing for the first hour but around the time the film within a film sequence began I gave myself over to its absurdities. A shame the director's films aren't more widely available in the US but maybe Criterion will get on that eventually.

• Samir Lukka

★★★★ Added by Samir Lukka

The story follows an underground weapons manufacturer in Belgrade during WWII and evolves into fairly surreal situations. A black marketeer who smuggles the weapons to partisans doesn't mention to the workers that the war is over, and they keep producing. Years later, they break out of their underground "shelter" --- only to convince themselves that the war is still going on. Sourec: [IMDB]

• SJHoneywell

★★★★½ Added by SJHoneywell

Funny, cruel, and weird.
    It's also quite sexual.
    Those darn nutty Slavs!

• chujus

★★★★★ Added by chujus

This is pretty much the perfect film. The be-all, end-all. It's got everything you could possibly want: Drama, war, love, humor, special effects, superb cinematography, amazing music, terrific actors, meta references, elements of surrealism... I rewatch it every year or so and to say I find a new thing on every occassion would be a grand understatement. I absolutely adore this film.

• zuhair vazir

★★★★½ Added by zuhair vazir

Very few films come across as ferociously politically incorrect as 'Underground (Podzemlje)'. In the beginning we witness Belgrade being torn apart in the wake of WWI (1928), through the laconic eyes of Serbian director Emir Kusturica. To have a voracious appetite for film, in way of brilliant execution, of this war-child is commendable.
    To understand and appreciate the film in its entirety; the tongue-in-cheek; the slapstick; the histrionics of the Yugoslavian war and theater together, we must know the history…

• lavrego

★★★★★ Rewatched by lavrego 04 Jun, 2014

Encantame! Interpretacions esquizofrenicas, bañadas en música da leal banda e as danzas etílicas.

• Dragonknight

★★★★ Watched by Dragonknight 30 May, 2014 6

Film #62 of Project 90

”Our whole life is a lie.”

Emir Kusturica’s Palm d’Or winning film is all about search: search for friendship, search for the loved ones and most importantly search for the spirit that once connected the people of a great country to each other. Kusturica moves from comic surrealism to tragic realism and mixes social and political commentary with fantasy to create a wonderful piece of cinema which is about a country and its people and…

• Robert Beksinski

★★★½ Watched by Robert Beksinski 27 May, 2014

This was unexpected but in a negative way. Not too negative obviously but so far I have really liked and enjoyed every Emir Kusturica film I have seen so far. So how come when I approach what many consider his magnum opus that I feel "underwhelmed". This is no good, now as a disclaimer I will say I believe I watched a cut version at 2 hours 43 minutes (well I guess this is the version most people have seen…

• Tadas

★★★★ Watched by Tadas 21 Apr, 2014

Complete madness. Reminds me of.. nothing. Truly one of a kind that has to be on my 'to rewatch sometime in the future for a better understanding' list.

• Jabberwocky

★★★★½ Watched by Jabberwocky 29 Mar, 2014

"Underground" is a masterpiece in every possible way!
    Emir Kusturica is one of the most acclaimed directors in the history of cinema and I love his film.
    So many messages in so many beautiful ways. I laughed a lot and at the end, "Underground" made me wonder.
    The surreal ending is the best part and a special shout out to Goran Bregovic for the AMAZING score.

• Nick Ondras

★★★★ Watched by Nick Ondras 17 Mar, 2014

82/100

"Fucking fascist motherfuckers!"

For anyone who wanted "Dr. Strangelove" to be a little more Mel Brooks-y, and clock in closer to three hours long.

Does for the Slavic tongue what Fellini did for Rome; meaning director-screenwriter Emir Kusturica's ample opus "Underground" is by turns lavish and provocative; sexy and disturbing; great and beautiful.

I know what you're thinking: didn't "A Serbian Film" already do the same? First of all, this movie dates it by more than fifteen years. Second of all, a man penetrates an infant in that film. Look, let's keep your odd nostalgia for that production strictly between us two, all right?

• Rommel Cuellar

★★ Watched by Rommel Cuellar 28 Feb, 2014

Winner of the Golden Palm in Cannes Underground is a very complicated and full of metaphors film. Emir Kusturica is lost in its intent with numerous analogies and an overly long film.