• DP_wannabe

★★★ Watched by DP_wannabe 29 Oct, 2015

There were many points where I was bored. Somehow, sometimes the performances don't feel very effective. The movie is also maybe a bit too long. It does tell the story in an effective way though.

• Alexander Luzgarev

★★★½ Added by Alexander Luzgarev

A war is no war until the brother kills his brother.

• redrs

★★★★½ Added by redrs

Amazingly epic, beautiful and sad. Definitely worth reading up on before watching.

• Brian Stack

★★★★ Watched by Brian Stack 29 Apr, 2014

Blacky Popara and a small cadre of associates are trapped in an underground cave in Yugoslvia at the end of the second World War. Blacky's supposed best friend Marko Dren, a communist party official, tricks them into believing the war continues on the surface so they will make weapons they believe are used to fight the Nazi threat which he sells for profit.

Blacky eventually discovers the deception and goes above ground to participate in the Cold War, and become…

• Conrado Falco

★★½ Watched by Conrado Falco 28 Jul, 2015

Having gone to school in South America, a big chunk of High School Spanish was dedicated to magical realism and its biggest literary representation: Gabriel Garcia Marquez's 'One Hundred Years of Solitude'. I must admit the charms of Marquez and the genre escape me, although I understand why they would be appealing. Emir Kusturica's 'Underground' -the controversial winner of the Palm D'Or at the 1995 Cannes Film Festival- retells the story of Yugoslavia in the twentieth century by presenting a…

• pstead

½ Watched by pstead 08 Jul, 2015

Unwatchable. Theatrical gurning abounds.

★★★★ Watched by MOVIEGOER 18 Jun, 2015

• Ivan Albertson

★★★½ Rewatched by Ivan Albertson 17 May, 2015

1995 Cannes Film Festival (In Competition)

Kusturica’s film bursts onto the screen with a madcap energy that’s exhilarating but also unnerving, because few films besides 1941 and Pintilie’s Carnival Scenes have been able to sustain their relentless zaniness past the two-hour mark. Indeed, the returns of Underground begin to diminish after World War II ends and its moment-to-moment invention yields to a grand statement about the irony of fate. The underground home is a potent metaphor, but Kusturica doesn't advance…

• m8ben

★★★★★ Rewatched by m8ben 06 May, 2015

the rollicking drunken delirium with which this is filmed is quite the contrast to what the film is actually about

• Jon Hillman

★★★★ Added by Jon Hillman

One of the things that make Underground so much better than it could have been is that there is not need to understand what was going on in this region in this time period to appreciate the satire and the universal messages it conveys.

• Michael Stuhlman

★★★★★ Watched by Michael Stuhlman 22 Apr, 2015

I can honestly say I was not expecting to be so thoroughly blown away by this film. The following is in reference to the 5+ hour version, though I plan on watching the cut version later this week. Not only is the story here a beautifully told parallel to reality vs the realities we create, but it contains such a pulsating energy that one simply can't take their eyes off the screen. So much happens over the course of the…

• Bucanero

Added by Bucanero

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

cuando piensas que nada peor puede suceder, te sorprende una nueva tragedia.