• Michael Stuhlman

★★★★★ Watched by Michael Stuhlman 22 Apr, 2015

I can honestly say I was not expecting to be so thoroughly blown away by this film. The following is in reference to the 5+ hour version, though I plan on watching the cut version later this week. Not only is the story here a beautifully told parallel to reality vs the realities we create, but it contains such a pulsating energy that one simply can't take their eyes off the screen. So much happens over the course of the…

• Bucanero

Added by Bucanero

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

cuando piensas que nada peor puede suceder, te sorprende una nueva tragedia.

• R Stewart

★★★★ Watched by R Stewart 10 Apr, 2015

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

Essentially a love letter to a country or culture of the past while also being one of the best WW2-era films I've seen, though that kind of pigeonholes it in an unfair way. The perspective is that of two Yugoslavian communist rebels who lead a life so well suited to their shenanigans that it goes on for 2 decades after the war ends, picks up during the Cold War, continues thru the Yugoslav wars and then continues (even the final…

• Dave Vis

★★★★½ Watched by Dave Vis 26 Mar, 2015

Part of the 30 Countries Challenge 2015. Serbia (24/30)

• Drew Armitage

★★★★½ Watched by Drew Armitage 12 Mar, 2015

I thought Salvador Dalí and Kevin Kline were marvellous as Marko and Blacky.

• Nemorosus Mens

★★★★ Watched by Nemorosus Mens 08 Mar, 2015

This story has no end. Unfortunately.

• Chad Eberle

★★★½ Watched by Chad Eberle 18 Feb, 2015

My first Kusturica. Exhilarating for while, but gradually began to wear on me. I struggled with the last hour. (Five hour version? No thanks.) Upside: unique, unhinged tone; great images.

• Clint Cullum

★★★★½ Watched by Clint Cullum 09 Feb, 2015

A cinematic smorgasbord that at it's best reminds me of a Yugoslavian equivalent to Sergei Parajanov's folk epics. A boldly cinematic satire of central European politics in the post WWII era.

• Sachin Dharwadker

★★★★★ Watched by Sachin Dharwadker 09 Feb, 2015

The omnipresent brass band. The man who gives new definition to the act of lying, who also breaks wine bottles on his head when he doesn’t want his wife to drink. The man who is fighting the wrong war, but it doesn’t make a difference because no one knew who or what they were fighting for anyway. The woman who can’t decide. The boy who has never seen the sun. The brother who wants to find his pet monkey. The…

• Michael

★★★ Rewatched by Michael 16 Jan, 2015

It's a lot of fun to look at with rich, detailed sets and lots of motion (even when we're confined underground). The near constant brass band propels the movie and lends excitement and charm even when the movie meanders and the story sags and drags. Worth a watch.

• ghostdinosaur

★★★ Watched by ghostdinosaur 16 Jan, 2015

As a satire of the idea that historical epics can ever teach you anything about the reality of experiencing war, about the people who are regarded as war heroes, about their true motivations for participation, I enjoy a lot of what this movie has to say. Unfortunately Emir Kusturica's circus seems destined never to affect me the way I want it to. On paper I love the idea of an anarchic cartoon of history with wall-to-wall brass music, but both…

• Shervin Ghiami

★★★★★ Watched by Shervin Ghiami 13 Jan, 2015

Once Upon a Time In America meets Late Fellini. Unlike most war films, Underground forgoes the epic, depressive approach in favor of the vivacious and surreal. This creates an apathetic atmosphere in which the death of beloved individuals means nothing - and is this not what war is? A sacrifice of the individual in favor of the whole?

It is not a flippant work, nor is it overly sentimental. Underground is an immersive yet fun experience, and a perfect addition to the history of cinema.