• Jabberwocky

★★★★½ Watched by Jabberwocky 29 Mar, 2014

"Underground" is a masterpiece in every possible way!
    Emir Kusturica is one of the most acclaimed directors in the history of cinema and I love his film.
    So many messages in so many beautiful ways. I laughed a lot and at the end, "Underground" made me wonder.
    The surreal ending is the best part and a special shout out to Goran Bregovic for the AMAZING score.

• Nick Ondras

★★★★½ Watched by Nick Ondras 17 Mar, 2014

90/100

"Fucking fascist motherfuckers!"

For anyone who wanted "Dr. Strangelove" to be a little more Mel Brooks-y, and clock in closer to three hours long.

Does for the Slavic tongue what Fellini did for Rome; meaning director-screenwriter Emir Kusturica's ample opus "Underground" is by turns lavish and provocative; sexy and disturbing; great and beautiful.

I know what you're thinking: didn't "A Serbian Film" already do the same? First of all, this movie dates it by more than fifteen years. Second of all, a man penetrates an infant in that film. Look, let's keep your odd nostalgia for that production strictly between us two, all right?

• Rommel Cuellar

★★ Watched by Rommel Cuellar 28 Feb, 2014

Winner of the Golden Palm in Cannes Underground is a very complicated and full of metaphors film. Emir Kusturica is lost in its intent with numerous analogies and an overly long film.

• Bryan Colley

★★★★ Added by Bryan Colley

This is a massive political allegory about WWII Yugoslavia turned pseudo Communist state turned Bosnia/Herzegovina civil war, and I'm sure I can only appreciate it on the surface. At the same time, is an insane film about nutty characters doing nutty things. The two leads could easily pass for Tommy Lee Jones and Kevin Kline, and the girl has some of the sexiest gams I've seen since Betty Hutton. I was amused. The original version was 5 hours - that…

• Fesapo

★★★★★ Watched by Fesapo 30 Jul, 2006

99/100

• MrJago

Watched by MrJago 31 Jan, 2014

It's not that it's bad, I just found it almost unbearable to sit through it.

• m8ben

★★★★★ Rewatched by m8ben 29 Dec, 2013

Wonderfully absurd, surreal and touching. Bursting with life, reminds me of Felini but with a better soundtrack.

• Rob Langham

★★★★½ Watched by Rob Langham 15 Dec, 2013

A tour de force of astonishing invention which charts the history of Yugoslavia from its involvement in World War II until just after its break up via the medium of two Belgrade based brothers, deploying high farce in the classic Balkan style, humour, tragedy and sentiment.

The early scenes depicting the bombing of Belgrade Zoo are unforgettable and the interweaving of fact, fiction, imagination and fantasy make for a heady brew. It gets a little confusing in the middle until one works out the central conceit while the sheer boisterousness of the affair is startling indeed. A Palme d'Or winner and no wonder.

• Leszek Pietrzak

★★½ Watched by Leszek Pietrzak 10 Nov, 2013

The movie is colorful, energetic with great emotional scenes, but is also just a bit too vaguely-metaphorical, with a chaos of a story to work for me.

• shallowgrave

★★★★★ Added by shallowgrave

Palme d'Or winner for a reason.

• Melody

★★★★ Watched by Melody 03 Nov, 2013

This film is almost impossible to rate. What I can say, though, is that there are some wonderfully surreal scenes and allusions. The fact that a reality ("there is no more Yugoslavia") fits so naturally in a film filled with unbelievable stories is nothing short of astonishing.

"No war is a war until a brother kills his brother."

• Henry Carroll

★★★★½ Watched by Henry Carroll 27 Oct, 2013

One of my favorite authors is Thomas Pynchon, something about the way he structures his novels and introduces wildly different elements of culture has always riveted me. He is able to strike such a balance of high and low humor and tragic and wacky action that his novels come off as paeans to human folly. If Pynchon's novels do ever widely get made into films--if the upcoming Inherent Vice is disappointing, I will personally be crushed--I believe they would resemble…