• MOVIEGOER

★★★★ Watched by MOVIEGOER 18 Jun, 2015

長春國賓

• Ivan Albertson

★★★½ Rewatched by Ivan Albertson 17 May, 2015

1995 Cannes Film Festival (In Competition)

Kusturica’s film bursts onto the screen with a madcap energy that’s exhilarating but also unnerving, because few films besides 1941 and Pintilie’s Carnival Scenes have been able to sustain their relentless zaniness past the two-hour mark. Indeed, the returns of Underground begin to diminish after World War II ends and its moment-to-moment invention yields to a grand statement about the irony of fate. The underground home is a potent metaphor, but Kusturica doesn't advance…

• m8ben

★★★★★ Rewatched by m8ben 06 May, 2015

the rollicking drunken delirium with which this is filmed is quite the contrast to what the film is actually about

• Jon Hillman

★★★★ Added by Jon Hillman

One of the things that make Underground so much better than it could have been is that there is not need to understand what was going on in this region in this time period to appreciate the satire and the universal messages it conveys.

• Michael Stuhlman

★★★★★ Watched by Michael Stuhlman 22 Apr, 2015

I can honestly say I was not expecting to be so thoroughly blown away by this film. The following is in reference to the 5+ hour version, though I plan on watching the cut version later this week. Not only is the story here a beautifully told parallel to reality vs the realities we create, but it contains such a pulsating energy that one simply can't take their eyes off the screen. So much happens over the course of the…

• Bucanero

Added by Bucanero

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

cuando piensas que nada peor puede suceder, te sorprende una nueva tragedia.

• R Stewart

★★★★ Watched by R Stewart 10 Apr, 2015

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

Essentially a love letter to a country or culture of the past while also being one of the best WW2-era films I've seen, though that kind of pigeonholes it in an unfair way. The perspective is that of two Yugoslavian communist rebels who lead a life so well suited to their shenanigans that it goes on for 2 decades after the war ends, picks up during the Cold War, continues thru the Yugoslav wars and then continues (even the final…

• Dave Vis

★★★★½ Watched by Dave Vis 26 Mar, 2015

Part of the 30 Countries Challenge 2015. Serbia (24/30)

• Drew Armitage

★★★★½ Watched by Drew Armitage 12 Mar, 2015

I thought Salvador Dalí and Kevin Kline were marvellous as Marko and Blacky.

• Nemorosus Mens

★★★★ Watched by Nemorosus Mens 08 Mar, 2015

This story has no end. Unfortunately.

• Chad Eberle

★★★½ Watched by Chad Eberle 18 Feb, 2015

My first Kusturica. Exhilarating for while, but gradually began to wear on me. I struggled with the last hour. (Five hour version? No thanks.) Upside: unique, unhinged tone; great images.

• Clint Cullum

★★★★½ Watched by Clint Cullum 09 Feb, 2015

A cinematic smorgasbord that at it's best reminds me of a Yugoslavian equivalent to Sergei Parajanov's folk epics. A boldly cinematic satire of central European politics in the post WWII era.