• Douglas Robinson

★★★ Rewatched by Douglas Robinson 12 Oct, 2014

Started out real strong but somewhere along the way forgot it was supposed to be dumb comedic shenanigans.

• Andrew Robinson

★★ Watched by Andrew Robinson 12 Oct, 2014

If I could have just the first 70 mins of this movie and cut to the final scene, it would be a lot better... but still not great.

The energy of this movie is right for so long... a lot of it reminded me of that scene with the accordion in HOLY MOTORS (my favourite scene of that movie)

• zuhair vazir

★★★ Added by zuhair vazir

Very few films come across as ferociously politically incorrect as 'Underground (Podzemlje)'. In the beginning we witness Belgrade being torn apart in the wake of WWI (1928), through the laconic eyes of Serbian director Emir Kusturica. To have a voracious appetite for film, in way of brilliant execution, of this war-child is commendable.

To understand and appreciate the film in its entirety; the tongue-in-cheek; the slapstick; the histrionics of the Yugoslavian war and theater together, we must know the history…

• Robert

★★★ Watched by Robert 04 Oct, 2014

I wouldn't blame anyone for turning off during the first part (of 3 sections) of this almost 3 hour film, as it is drawn out and doesn't seem to be going anywhere.

It is only towards the end of the second part, going into the final hour, that it begins to display some magnificence. If only it had been planned or subsequently edited with more care and attention, this could have been a pretty great film. But it wasn't, and it isn't.

• Jorge Pardo M.

★★★ Watched by Jorge Pardo M. 01 Oct, 2014

Película complejísima, cargada de metáforas y simbolismos en sus dos primeras partes que, en mi opinión, pecan de excesivas e, incluso, irritantes. El tercer acto, en cambio, sí que logra conmoverme. Es ahí, precisamente, donde la cinta toma una dirección totalmente distinta, mucho más pausada y comedida, que alcanza su clímax con un final totalmente demoledor.

Una rareza muy desigual —y larga— de la que sólo he disfrutado sus últimos 40 minutos.

• Carson Joiner

★★★★½ Watched by Carson Joiner 23 Sep, 2014

"We're all crazy Natalija. We just haven't been diagnosed yet."

Winner Palme d'Or 1995

Having never seen a film by Emir Kusturica, I had no idea what to expect out of Underground. All that I knew was that it had won the Palme d'Or in 1995, and that it was highly rated on Letterboxd as well as IMDB. I was a little concerned when I realized that it was a three hour long comedy, thinking that surely the jokes would…

• gearinger

★★★★½ Rewatched by gearinger 21 Sep, 2014

Epic, absurd, meta, haunting, joyous allegory

• Alex Kittle

★★★½ Watched by Alex Kittle 06 Sep, 2014

Very darkly funny satire that ends up strangely touching, mostly the whole thing is just a weird historical commentary whose political complexities were largely lost on me because I don't have a strong grasp of Yugoslavian history. Loved the visuals and bizarre premise, and the surreal, impressively layered blend of fact and fiction, but the main characters were mostly so unlikable that it wasn't always an engaging story to watch. I recognize it is an important piece of Cold War-specific…

• sbat86

★★★★ Watched by sbat86 17 Aug, 2014

A strange and wonderful film about the horrors of war and the resilience of people. Manages to blend the sensibilities of both Kafka and Fellini backed by a lively Eastern European brass band. I'll admit I was pretty befuddled by the whole thing for the first hour but around the time the film within a film sequence began I gave myself over to its absurdities. A shame the director's films aren't more widely available in the US but maybe Criterion will get on that eventually.

• Samir Lukka

★★★★ Added by Samir Lukka

The story follows an underground weapons manufacturer in Belgrade during WWII and evolves into fairly surreal situations. A black marketeer who smuggles the weapons to partisans doesn't mention to the workers that the war is over, and they keep producing. Years later, they break out of their underground "shelter" --- only to convince themselves that the war is still going on. Source: [IMDB]

• SJHoneywell

★★★★½ Added by SJHoneywell

Funny, cruel, and weird.
    It's also quite sexual.
    Those darn nutty Slavs!

• chujus

★★★★★ Added by chujus

This is pretty much the perfect film. The be-all, end-all. It's got everything you could possibly want: Drama, war, love, humor, special effects, superb cinematography, amazing music, terrific actors, meta references, elements of surrealism... I rewatch it every year or so and to say I find a new thing on every occassion would be a grand understatement. I absolutely adore this film.