• Jonathan Storey

★★★★½ Watched by Jonathan Storey 22 Apr, 2016

Completely deserving of the 1995 Palme.

• Marina Rossi

★★★★★ Watched by Marina Rossi 26 Mar, 2016

A farce about wretched people.

Bechdel-Wallace test: fail

• SamCricket

★★★★★ Added by SamCricket

WHAT POWERFULL, SWEEPING, ORGASTIC BRILLIANCE.
    Earth, the sky, the booze the sudden bursts of surreal violence, the band (underwater, overwater, underground, overground). The potrayal of the lost land, the good land, the land washed with unfair blood. And greed. And dust and dirt and life.
    The characters were just so BRILLIANTLY cool, awesome, circling round and around themselves, bursting through the surface, running over motherfucking fascists.
    I needed to watch this. I'm so glad I did. Overwhelmed, feet taping, brain throbing. Watch it. Watch it now.
    Great!!!!!!

• iagobrothers

★★★★½ Rewatched by iagobrothers 30 Mar, 2016

One of the most memorable films of the 90s, Underground is a vast, black comedy about the history of the former Yugoslavia from the WWII era through to the early 90s.

It's subject matter and general all-round craziness might write it off for some people, but the imagery of this film has stayed in my brain for years since first seeing it.

If you like arthouse films, this is one of the most amazing.

• Alistair Ryder

★★★½ Watched by Alistair Ryder 28 Mar, 2016

March Around the World 2016

Country #26: Serbia

If you have a low-tolerance for repetitive oompah band music, then Underground is definitely not the film for you. An epic tale of friendship and betrayal spanning decades from the midst of the Second World War to the closure of the Cold War, Underground eschews historical accuracy in favour of surrealism, with director Emir Kusturica proving to be a vital influence on Jean-Pierre Jeunet with his fondness for steampunk-inspired practical effects. On…

• Krunić

★★★★ Rewatched by Krunić 18 Mar, 2016

Italians did a remaster for blueray and that's the version I saw. I recommend you see it too, because the movie looks awesome! I haven't seen this one since its theater run in 1995. I didn't quite get it then, but I do get it now. Not only it's a great movie but a true piece of art. This is also the turning point for Kusturica, because after UNDERGROUND all his movies have become shooting into the sky and trumpets…

• PuRock

★★★★★ Watched by PuRock 19 Mar, 2016 2

It's a shame that Underground isn't more of a well-known film. It's rarely talked about or reviewed. Yet the people who see it absolutely love it. So goes the life of a foreign film.

Underground is an epic about the history of Yugoslavia. Yes, it doesn't sound captivating at face value but the film snags you and doesn't let go despite it's long run time. At times it's a film about war, but at other times it's a comedy. The…

• Kristjansen

½ Watched by Kristjansen 18 Mar, 2016

For every 5-star movie, there is that one grumpy, ignorant douchebag over in the corner. In this case I'm that douchebag.

One of the worst movie experiences I have had for many years. It just wouldn't end. Just put me out of my misery already.

Part of March Around the World: Federal Republic of Yugoslavia

• LejS

★★★★★ Rewatched by LejS 09 Mar, 2016

WWII bombardments, a lascivious drunk and a shoe-thieving elephant greet the viewer within the first 15 minutes -- all set to a luscious soundtrack by Goran Bregovic. As polarizing and controversial as it is funny (until it no longer is) Underground grabs by the shoulders and doesn't let go until well after the credits have rolled. Like some of Fellini's best, the characters in Underground are caricatures with the deepest humanity.

• Jack Gattanella

★★★★★ Watched by Jack Gattanella 27 Feb, 2016

This is the kind of art that burns a village down while making you howl with harrowing hysterics at the same time.

Read on:

• ButterBridgeRec

★★★★½ Watched by ButterBridgeRec 12 Feb, 2016

Superb analogue hyper-kinaesthetica - the only true way to be anti-war.

• HsiangYu Hsieh