• Luke McGowan

★★★½ Watched by Luke McGowan 02 Aug, 2015

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

Clint Eastwood has made some glorious films in his time, and his original Oscar-winning Unforgiven lands somewhere in the middle for me. It doesn't have the emotional resonance or deep characters of Million Dollar Baby, but I found it a lot more powerful than his admirable misfire Mystic River.

After two cowboys carve up a prostitute for laughing at one's lack of virility, the prostitutes pool their money for a bounty. Enter Clint Eastwood's Will Munny, a retired bounty hunter…

• Redfern

★★★★½ Watched by Redfern 01 Aug, 2015 2

Anyone who thinks American Sniper is an exercise in jingoistic ideologies needs to come back and watch this. I'm pretty sure Eastwood hasn't radically changed his world-view over the last 22 years.

• Cedric B

★★★ Rewatched by Cedric B 30 Jul, 2015

Unforgiven's dialogue is way over-written, and then over-acted. The way characters interact feels artificial, not at all natural. However, I must give credit where credit is due. This film is shot beautifully, magnificently capturing the rugged expanse of the West, and it explores the motives of men as not black and white, but much more oblique, and terrifyingly mysterious. Thus, Eastwood never frames a character in the center of the screen, creating a world where no man is morally justified.

• Malcolm

★★★★ Rewatched by Malcolm 30 Jul, 2015 2

"It's a helluva thing, killin' a man."

Clint Eastwood stars in and directs this revisionist western with great success in his vision. His takes on unchangeable human nature and the ethics of revenge are seen through the wide range of niche characters explored throughout the film. These characters weren't only very unique, but they were also brought to life very authentically by Gene Hackman, Morgan Freeman and adequately by Eastwood.

This alteration of the classical western genre is a principal segment of American cinema, with a perfect blend of stuff for cinephiles and stuff for the everyday moviegoer.

Rating: B+

• Lagaan

★★★★ Watched by Lagaan 29 Jul, 2015 1

Top 250 #113 [IMDB]

This is The movie that convinced me that "Clint" is indeed from a higher ground. Thoug, I've always considered Clint as a good actor,I didn't know about his capabilities as a director. This movie does all of that and more. Grovin up whit western movies, I would have to say that unforgiven is about whole new genre among western movies. Unforgiven is really a true statement of man's brutality and what he "or" she is capable…

• Pedro White

★★★★ Watched by Pedro White 28 Jul, 2015

I was expecting a bit more but it's definitely a great movie

• Chad Anderson

★★★★½ Rewatched by Chad Anderson 07 Jul, 2015 2

Always a great movie to see. It is an amazing trick to make a violent Western that is satisfying in its action and yet a sharp deconstruction and biting critique of the genre that makes you never want to see anyone ever pick up a gun in anger. Clint Eastwood and Morgan Freeman are national treasures and this movie is quite a showcase for Gene Hackman and the great Richard Harris.

One of the most compelling performances I can recall…

• TJ Duane

★★★★½ Rewatched by TJ Duane 24 Jul, 2015

Unforgiven is not only one of the great westerns by switching the whole white hat, black hat dynamic when it vilifies the moralistic sheriff (expertly played by Hackman) and makes the murdering hired gun (Eastwood) utterly sympathetic, but by putting these unromantic themes of abuse against women, lost lives, and growing up in violence in a beautiful but unforgiving (ha!) backdrop.

One of those times Oscar got it right.

• Tyler Henry

★★★★★ Watched by Tyler Henry 23 Jul, 2015

Flawless piece of cinema

• Anders Åkerblom

★★★★★ Rewatched by Anders Åkerblom 20 Jul, 2015

En jävligt bra western. Härligt skådespeleri och bra historia.

• yellow_sub66

★★★★½ Watched by yellow_sub66 17 Jul, 2015

Brilliant. I didn't know this was written by David Webb Peoples of Blade Runner but I was not surprised by the end. What a great film this was. A realistic, gritty, no nonsense western with stunning visuals and amazing performances from everyone involved. It was a refreshing change from even some the other great westerns to have a fleshed out main character and a story centred largely on the people and the effects of the Cowboys and the time they…

• PhilParma

★★★★ Added by PhilParma

"Deserve's got nothin to do with it."