• Steven Flores

Rewatched by Steven Flores 28 Feb, 2015

Truly one of the finest westerns ever created as a former killer is asked by a young man to kill two men had brutalized a young prostitute as it explores the idea of death and justice as it's Clint Eastwood's finest film as a director.

• sjc4ye

★★★★½ Watched by sjc4ye 25 Feb, 2015

Very raw and moving, also was very good at blurring the lines between good and bad and right and wrong, with all characters not being clearly one or the other but rather a good mixture of both.

• Aaron White

★★★★½ Watched by Aaron White 20 Feb, 2015

Having recently listened to a favorite podcast revisit and discuss the greatness of what is widely considered Clint Eastwood's magnum opus, I felt inclined to re-watch it myself (and for the first time as an adult).

What I discovered is a magnificent achievement in film that turns the Western genre on its head and blurs morality in such a way that there are simultaneously no heroes or villains and yet everyone is both hero and villain. It's this kind of…

• bmprooney

★★★★ Watched by bmprooney 21 Feb, 2015

Essential.

Unforgiven is about a group of men in search of a bounty on two cowboys. The film looks great. It is mostly everything a modern western ought to be. One performance is not good. The shoot-outs and stand-offs work very well. Available from Netflix DVD, Unforgiven is essential viewing.

DVD Combo Pack: Blazing Saddles/ McCabe and Mrs. Miller

• Henrik

★★★★★ Watched by Henrik 20 Feb, 2015

Beautifully shot, perfectly cast - pretty much a flawless film.

• InSession Film

★★★★★ Watched by InSession Film 19 Feb, 2015

Masterpiece.

• Obistrike

★★★★★ Rewatched by Obistrike 19 Feb, 2015 4

One of all time favourite endings and one of my all time favourite westerns. Slowly developed and perfectly realised, William Munney is fascinating, sympathetic and terrifyingly believable as both hero and villain. Eastwood is at his peak and is well supported Harris, Hackman and Freeman. The Kid is ok.

Beautifully shot and scored, its deliberate pace serves it well and the dialogue is profound and genuinely comical. I will never not be happy to watch this movie.

• Greg Butler

★★★★★ Watched by Greg Butler 16 Feb, 2015

If this was Eastwoods last western, then he went out with a bang. While Unforgiven can be a little slow at times, it is made up for with terrific story telling and a fantastic climax. I loved watching Eastwood evolve back into the killing machine he used to be as the movie matures throughout. Morgan Freeman kills it as usual and to me the star of the movie was the performance by the great Gene Hackman. Hollywood needs more Eastwood and Hackmans. Pure Big Screen Superstars.

• Sergio Montesinos

★★★★½ Watched by Sergio Montesinos 15 Feb, 2015

El nombre de Clint Eastwood siempre ha estado muy ligado al western. Fue Sergio Leone quien lo catapultó a la fama con tres películas que a día de hoy siguen siendo todo un referente en el género como ‘Por un puñado de dólares’, ‘La muerte tenía un precio’ y ‘El Bueno, El Feo y El Malo’. Es al propio director italiano y a Don Siegel, con el que coincidió en hasta en cinco ocasiones, incluyendo ‘Fuga de Alcatraz’ y ‘Harry,…

• Sam Blackburn

★★★★★ Rewatched by Sam Blackburn 17 Feb, 2015

A badass Western, a badass revenge film and overall one badass movie. Clint Eastwood at his finest.

• Alex Lovendahl

★★ Watched by Alex Lovendahl 17 Feb, 2015

I hate to say it, but I feel like the old hand brought back to hardness tale is better told in something comprehensive, something long-form. TV, novels, and games seem like the place to explore this character arc. The script is a bit stiff, and the cinematography is strong but not a draw. Still, it doesn't normalize racism or argue for vigilante executions, so it's a better look than Gran Torino or American Sniper.

Eastwood's good here, and despite issues I have with the script and a few of the casting choices, it's well made. Its popularity is lost on me.

• Edwin Davies

★★★★★ Rewatched by Edwin Davies 16 Feb, 2015

Eastwood's masterpiece. A thrilling Western that inverts the tropes of the genre and punctures Old West mythology, but does so in a way that doesn't feel obvious or overplayed. Eastwood's direction and David Webb Peoples' script imbue characters that could have been little more than archetypes with personality and humanity, ultimately creating a nuance and complex image of a genre that its director knew well enough to turn on its head. A definitive statement on violence and the West from one of the great practitioners of both.