• corey newcombe

★★★★★ Added by corey newcombe

Big Whisky is full of people trying to lead quiet lives. Cowboys try to make a living. Sheriff 'Little Bill' tries to build a house and keep order.

When a couple of cowboys cut up a prostitute and disfigure her, the other prostitutes put a bounty on the cowboys. The bounty attracts The Schofield Kid, and he convinces ageing killer William Munny to join him.

Munny reformed for his wife, and has been raising his two children in peace, since…

• Robert Geyer

★★★★ Watched by Robert Geyer 08 Nov, 2014

That movie has:

-Fine actors (Eastwood, Freeman, Hackman)
    -An interesting and suspenseful plot.
    -Great action scenes.
    -Also a touch of sentimentality.

The only thing I dislike about 'Unforgiven' is that is feels to modern for an western movie.
    Okay, it was made only 22 years ago but I personally like the landscapes of 'The Good, the Bad and the Ugly' or especially 'Once Upon a Time in The West' more.

It also lacks Ennio Morricone haunting score of the good-old Sergio Leone westerns. Sadly he passed away 3 years before shooting this movie.

All in all: Well done, Clint!

• ShadetreeDad

★★★★★ Rewatched by ShadetreeDad 08 Nov, 2014

As opposed to most westerns this one has no "good or bad guys" they're all shades of gray. A very real portrait of a time in America. When was the last time you saw a western where a young character had bad vision? And the cast! Gene Hackman is fantastic (as always). Clint is spot on. With this cast and story you are transformed to a spot in history where you had to "get tough or die". Or maybe run…

• Baz The Film Guy

★★★★★ Rewatched by Baz The Film Guy 12 Dec, 2014

***Watched as part of the Western Film Challenge***

Still unequivocally glorious 24-years on from its original release, which garnered so much critical acclaim and winner of four Academy Awards. Unforgiven is a western drama for the ages that only seems to seep into the soul with each subsequent watch. A film that is as beautiful as it is ugly; filled with great visuals that emphasise the fact.

Eastwood stars and directs in what might just be the best film he has ever made.

• Alistair

★★★★ Watched by Alistair 10 Nov, 2014

What might seem on the outset like a standard western story develops into a beautiful little narrative which plays on the age of the central performers in an interesting way. The film develops a strong relationship and engagement with the characters and their journey and outcome is great to watch.

• davidhk

★★★★ Rewatched by davidhk 10 Dec, 2014

Still stands strong. A bit chatty at times and self conscious. Yes. Self indulgent too. I don't think it's Eastwood's best western but definitely his manifesto. It's by far the most theoretical of all. Almost like a taiwanese western. Slow. Beautiful. Tense. And meaningful. About justice, violence, law, morale, friendship, women, America, movies, whatever you want you name it... And as much as it's a Republican western, I kind of agree with most what he shows of human nature. I…

• Christopher Fujino

★★★★ Watched by Christopher Fujino 09 Dec, 2014 5

This is a weighty one, so I had to see it twice. This time around, I decided the key scene is when Munny is sick and sees visions of the angel of death.

Ned, I'm scared--I'm dying. You won't--no, don't nobody...don't tell my kids none of the things I done.

Whereas you would think Eastwood would be worried about people finding out he was scared at the end, it's his children finding out about his past that he thinks of.…

• Historyshack

★★★½ Watched by Historyshack 04 Dec, 2014

It took me a while to decide how much I liked this movie. There are a lot of films about revenge. *Unforgiven* rises above the them because it refuses to either celebrate the idea, or indict it. As Money says at the end, "deserve's got nothing to do with it." Gene Hackman should be in more things.

• Freddie Bert

★★★★ Watched by Freddie Bert 25 Nov, 2014

It is a very rare thing, leaving the genre you've helped define. Even rarer is doing it well. Unforgiven is a great farewell to, and retrospective look, at Clint Eastwood's career in the Western genre, as well as what defines it as a whole.

You're introduced to a man who has long since retired from his gunslinging ways, all he wants to do now is retire to his hog farm and raise his kids while living up to the standards…

• ScarpiaGS

★★★★ Watched by ScarpiaGS 03 Mar, 2012

Weimar
    -Gran película
    -Eastwood le da la vuelta al género, envejece con él y eso le da profundidad, expresión fruto de la decadencia
    -No logra superarse a sí mismo, nace como matón y a pesar de que lleva años tratando de cambiar, muere como tal. Es una condena
    -Muy buenas actuaciones de todos. La imagen muy cuidada

• kona

★★★★ Watched by kona 03 Dec, 2014 1

A film about a dedicated and single-minded man who just wants to make himself a house with his own two hands, but when you're also the Sheriff of a small town that's harder than it sounds. Bar owners, cowboys, Englishmen and bounties are only a few things that will get in his way of making his dream house.

Still, he is determined. A man with a dream. But will dreams win out over evil?

• Johnshinobi

★★★½ Watched by Johnshinobi 19 Nov, 2014

Some very good character moments and a generally interesting dismantling of the idea of "reputation" in the old west serve this movie well.