• Samu Lappalainen

★★★★½ Watched by Samu Lappalainen 15 Apr, 2014

Brilliant in the way it breaks the old and tired clichés of Western movies. Unforgiven makes every gunshot have weight and meaning behind them and it contains some very powerful scenes. It feels like anti-western to me. Fascinating characters and brilliant performances by Eastwood, Hackman, Freeman and Harris.

• Greg Thomas

★★★★★ Watched by Greg Thomas 14 Apr, 2014

A Movie Every Year Since I Ws Born II
    Movie number: #8
    Movie title: Unforgiven
    Movie Year: 1992

No surprise this won best picture a classic that needs to be seen!

• Joseph William Lewis

★★★★★ Rewatched by Joseph William Lewis 12 Apr, 2014

"I'll see you in hell, William Munny."
    "...Yeah."

The quintessential postmodern western. Classical storytelling rhythms make way for poignant characterization, iconic performances, and riveting suspense sequences. Although the film makes a point of not shying away from realistic pathos or brutality, Eastwood's Old West is mythic, mysterious, and feels about as far removed from our world as Peter Jackson's Middle Earth. It's a place immortalized in legend until the end of time, and simply getting to spend time there with this fascinating set of characters is perhaps the greatest pleasure of Unforgiven.

• Justin Harrison

★★★★½ Rewatched by Justin Harrison 07 Apr, 2014

This is either my second or third time seeing Unforgiven, and I'm glad to say that I finally get why Clint Eastwood's final western is so well loved as a movie. My earlier viewings were marred by my own inattention, so that is on me, and not Unforgiven. This is a fantastic piece of cinema both as its own movie and as Eastwood's farewell to the genre that made his career.

Like Eastwood's earlier The Outlaw Josey Wales, Unforgiven is…

• justinC

★★★★★ Rewatched by justinC 02 Apr, 2014

Unforgiven is probably has the best acting of all films in the "Western" genre.

When retired gunslinger Bill Munny [Eastwood] accepts his last bounty to ride to a town with a younger man, and picking up his old partner [Freeman] on the way. They end up taking on a whole town including it's Sheriff [Gene Hackman]

This is on classic that should not be missed by anyone.

• BillyStevenson

Watched by BillyStevenson 01 Apr, 2014

It’s fitting that Clint Eastwood hasn’t returned to the western since Unforgiven, since it plays as a swansong and elegy for his great revisions of the genre in the 70s and 80s. Dedicated to Sergio Leone and Don Siegel, it’s a fairly stark revenge narrative revolving around a handful of figures on the verge of retirement, including Will Munny (Eastwood), a reformed bounty hunter, his ex-partner Ned Logan (Morgan Freeman) and “Little Bill” (Gene Hackman), a brutal sheriff. All three…

• lynyrdsghost

★★★★★ Added by lynyrdsghost

Great western.

• Thief12

★★★★½ Rewatched by Thief12 23 Mar, 2009

Saw this one quite awhile ago, and had just seen the final 30 minutes again ever since. But I caught it tonight again on Bravo and I was as amazed as I was the first time, if not more. What a magnificent yet tragic film. Great in almost every aspect. That last conversation between Munny and the kid by the tree near the end is just what acting is about, and the last showdown at the saloon is pure intensity.

(review written in 2009)

• Nola47

★★★★ Watched by Nola47 26 Mar, 2014 2

Life's hard when you're a whore in Big Whisky, Wyoming.

Alberta=Wyoming in the world of cinema.

Great score.

• Luke Richardson

★★★½ Watched by Luke Richardson 25 Mar, 2014

Re-watch of Clint Eastwood's elegiacal western.

Initial impressions are unavoidable. Much like the genre itself, Unforgiven features a very old fashioned style of filmmaking. Thankfully, it's one which Eastwood was able to pull himself away from to create riveting works like Absolute Power and Gran Turino.

Second impressions: next to Clint's beleaguered performance as a dowdy gun-for-hire and Morgan Freeman's phoned-in turn as his penitent sidekick, Hackman delivers one of his most fearsome screen performances since The French Connection. A…

• Stewart Allan

★★★★★ Watched by Stewart Allan 25 Mar, 2014

Can't believe it's taken me so long to manage to see this. Eastwood is at his career best I would say - his transformation from over the hill farmer to terrifying killer makes watching worthwhile on its own. I thought it did a great job of building tension and, to me, avoiding cliches so that I genuinely didn't know what was going to happen Couple that with great supporting performances all round, beautiful cinematography and scenery, and a lovely guitar based score. Highly recommended.

• Alex Krajci

★★★★ Rewatched by Alex Krajci 21 Mar, 2014

I Like 1992's Unforgiven, I Like It Because It Turned 20 Years Old In 2012.