• Jason Darby

★★★★½ Rewatched by Jason Darby 02 May, 2015

John Ford made a career out of building the legend of the western (among other things). By the end of that career though, he sought to take down many of the very myths that he had created. Films like The Searchers and The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance didn't have any white knight heroes in them. They were much more realistic films that challenged the mythos of the Hollywood western. It was into this world the Spaghetti westerns began to…

• Patrick Walsh

★★★ Watched by Patrick Walsh 01 May, 2015

Average is the word that comes to mind when I think of the film "Unforgiven".

The beautiful opening shot, accompanied by some interesting crawl text, set the mood for something great. Unfortunately, for me, the film never reached its full potential. This was a unique western story to me: Old cowboys who are now out of their element returning to the trade that they used to live by and finding that their heart might not still be in it. However,…

• Jon Mears

★★★★★ Rewatched by Jon Mears 30 Apr, 2015

A faultless western.

And nearly a faultless film.

• Yenny Rocío Báez

★★★★ Watched by Yenny Rocío Báez 26 Apr, 2015

El pasado, con su mejor vestido de crueldad y desolación, cobra fuerza en ''Unforgiven'', donde los problemas y remordimientos son moneda corriente.

Verle a semejantes titanes del cine como lo son Eastwood, Hackman, Freeman y Harris, hace notar el trabajo de calidad que se realizaba décadas atrás y que ahora, tristemente escasea; del cuatrinomio actoral, el destaque va a manos de Gene (totalmente entendible su Oscar).

El Clint director es mil veces mejor que el Clint actor y acá afirma con sobrada razón, que nació para captar el movimiento, el color y la forma de la vida. La fotografía, ¡belleza pura!

• Lance Lubelski

★★★ Rewatched by Lance Lubelski 29 Apr, 2015 2

freeman does a crap job, eastwood does a kinda crappy job but his direction is pretty good

• John Lees

★★★★★ Rewatched by John Lees 27 Apr, 2015

As good now as it was when I first saw it about 20 years ago, UNFORGIVEN is a true classic, one of the greatest Westerns ever made, and the finest entry in Clint Eastwood's impressive filmography as a director. Of course, as an actor he's also superb here, giving us one of his best performances as aging former outlaw William Munny, drawn out of his quiet retirement as a father, widower and hog farmer to kill two men in reprisal…

• Milo

★★★★★ Watched by Milo 24 Apr, 2015

Saw this one yesterday. Eastwood, Gene Hackman and Morgan Freeman in the same movie make for an excellent western that's one of the strongest from the genre that I've seen. There are no good guys and bad guys, with plenty of flawed characters as it adopts a fantastic revisionist take on the western, with a great, haunting atmosphere making this the strongest Eastwood movie that I've seen, with some fantastic cinematography and an incredibly well paced storyline that will mean you never get bored. Masterpiece.

• nathp

★★★★★ Rewatched by nathp 18 Apr, 2015

+ 1/2 *

• John Newfry

★★★★½ Watched by John Newfry 18 Apr, 2015

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

Munny does remember what he's doing awfully quickly

• Ben Hyde

★★★½ Watched by Ben Hyde 15 Apr, 2015

The third act is mostly rather poetic and subversive and everything with Little Bill/Beauchamp/English Bob is superb, but overall it's surprisingly schlocky. A lot of stale dialogue and the cast isn't entirely up to snuff. There are powerful moments, to be sure, and taken as a whole it's moving and somewhat incisive, but it can be kinda stilted as an experience.

• Jimmy Bobo

★★★★½ Rewatched by Jimmy Bobo 13 Apr, 2015

Unforgiven is an excellent meditation on the Western genre from one of its patron saints (Clint Eastwood), in many of ways playing out fully the scant implications that nearly all of his previous films (and by extension scores of others in the genre) neglected to interrogate.

• oobawa

★★★★★ Rewatched by oobawa 12 Apr, 2015

Adventures in the DVD Wallet #15

To be honest, I sometimes have trouble in deciding if Unforgiven is either the canniest Western ever made, or simply the luckiest. Especially now, having seen American Sniper, Clint Eastwood’s most recent tour through American mythology. I have trouble reconciling the messages of the two films, and how they could have possibly come from the same director. The latter, a strange, ill-executed paean to militarism and American exceptionalism, seems to lack any self-awareness of…