• Matthew Hodgkin

★★★★ Watched by Matthew Hodgkin 21 May, 2015

A classic western. Held its own, yet made out of time. It felt like a long lost prequel to the Dollars films. Tense and immersive, impressive production design that seemed ultra realistic.

• Rembrandt Q Pumpernickel

★★★★½ Rewatched by Rembrandt Q Pumpernickel 06 Apr, 2015 3

When Unforgiven was released, many critics saw it as an elegy to the Western genre. It felt like the last great Western in many ways, made by one of its most prominent stars. That its plot is about old gunslingers going on one last bounty with each other only furthers that belief. The film even opens and closes on these idyllic shots of the west, like a cover for dime store novels, accompanied by lugubrious guitar music.

But an elegy…

• Cinemafan

Added by Cinemafan

• Alan Castree

★★★★½ Watched by Alan Castree 11 May, 2015

After watching a bunch of Spaghetti Westerns, this movie is way more intense with its depictions of the realities and consequences of taking another man's life.

• Avery

★★½ Watched by Avery 09 May, 2015

If you know me you know I don't care for Westerns (or Clint Eastwood for that matter), but I dig the prostitutes driving the story and what I suppose is an anti-violence message they put in there somewhere. It's not bad. For a western.

• Brian Williams

★★★★★ Watched by Brian Williams 09 May, 2015

Nice to remember that Clint Eastwood did plenty more than talk to a chair or make a bunch of movies that I nearly injured myself rolling my eyes during. This one is probably flawless. I mean...I'm giving it all of the stars.

• Jack Saint

★★★½ Watched by Jack Saint 12 May, 2015

I don't quite buy into the notion that Unforgiven is a "deconstructionist masterpiece"--for as many tropes as the film subverts, just as many are played perfectly by-the-numbers--but I can't deny that the film is a fantastic send-up of the Western genre, a great book-end to a style of film-making that has never truly re-emerged.

• Cole Schneider

★★★★½ Watched by Cole Schneider 10 May, 2015

Upends the myth of the west with gritty realism and meta-commentary, but its transcendence comes from its complex morality. Do we cheer the vengeance or sit somber in its reality?

• Simon9688

★★★ Added by Simon9688

Unforgiven is a solid Western film & that's as much as it is.

• adrielnizer

Added by adrielnizer

Este sim, um filme muito mais conservador do Clint. Ainda que poucas coisas sejam mais emocionantes do que o final.

Grande decupagem em ambientes internos, pouco respeito ao eixo.

A sina dos Estados Unidos, fadado a uma crise de consciência (não exposta tão terrivelmente assim, convenhamos) de seu passado. Porém, quando despertada, matará sem piedade novamente, aí, quem estiver em seu caminho, merecedor ou não, será esmagado.

A bandeira é vista no final, resistindo meio à escuridão.

Jene Hackman é…

• Christian Alec

★★★ Rewatched by Christian Alec 19 Apr, 2015

I just can't come around to ever really having a grasp on this enough to praise it highly. For an Eastwood film it's surly one of the better I've seen but as a Western it just feels too much out of left field.

• Nick Britt

★★★★ Watched by Nick Britt 03 May, 2015

Not as strong of a film as I remember but Gene Hackman's performance is great and is the highlight of the film.