• Dave Bastian

★★★★ Rewatched by Dave Bastian 12 Jun, 2004

It’s a Hell of a Thing, Killing a Man
    Eastwood is an ex-gunfighter brought out of retirement to kill two cowboys who slashed a prostitute’s face. Near-mythic western is slow, thoughtful, and chilling—not at all the violent shoot-em-up many expected from Clint. Slack direction and sluggish editing slow things up, but the script (by David Webb Peoples), performances, and mood are first-rate—and the climax is positively terrifying. Winner of many Oscars, including Best Picture, Best Director, and Best Supporting Actor (Hackman—wonderful, as always).

• bcc273

★★★★½ Rewatched by bcc273 26 Mar, 2015

Imagine forty years after a classic western has ended. Maybe the hero is enjoying his power a little too much and maybe the villain has begun to regret some of the things in his past. This is the plot to Unforgiven. It takes the western genre and flips it on its side. Gone are the glorifications of bravery and lack of consequences, in Eastwood's film you feel every bullet, see every death and every frame is filled with grit. The…

• Cian

★★★★ Watched by Cian 28 Mar, 2015

A feminist Western with no strong female characters.

Suck it, Bechtel test!

Squint Eastwood stars and directs. His style is very reminiscent of the old Western, meaning that it's quite stripped-down and basic with few attention-grabbing flourishes. Brian De Palma, this ain't. But there's nothing all that bad about that. It allows the text of the story to rise to the surface, Eastwood taking a step back and allowing the great script to just be great.

And it is great.…

• Justin Geldzahler

★★★½ Watched by Justin Geldzahler 26 Mar, 2015

A pretty and well-acted genre exercise, but too many of the characters and situations seem to only exist to push the themes of the film, resulting in less of a Western and more the idea of a Western. Its ideas about storytelling and the lies we tell having their own truth flies a little better, probably because the film keeps those aspects low key.

• Bryan Strang

★★★★★ Rewatched by Bryan Strang 25 Mar, 2015 4

"Deserve's got nothing to do with it."

• Nick van Lieshout

★★★★★ Rewatched by Nick van Lieshout 25 Mar, 2015

The death of the Western genre is one of the most disheartening developments to happen to Hollywood filmmaking in the past twenty years. But if any film was going to represent the end of an era, what better choice than UNFORGIVEN? Sure, we've gotten some great representations of the genre since then, some of which I may enjoy more than Clint Eastwood's magnum opus, but I don't think a film has more succinctly depicted the end of an era as…

• shellofsnail

Rewatched by shellofsnail 25 Mar, 2015

Print quality: C-. (Scratches, both vertical and horizontal, present on every frame.)

• Cameron M. Gambas Johnson

★★★★★ Added by Cameron M. Gambas Johnson

My favorite western, though there are many classics I've yet to see.

• Paukzen

★★★★ Rewatched by Paukzen 17 Oct, 2010

Casa Lorenzo (Marina di Massa)

• Rick Vance

Watched by Rick Vance 22 Mar, 2015

Mythic figures are often smokescreens for savage brutality and wanton destruction, used to appease the populace.

The stories leave out the misery, the pain and the sorrow that is left in the wake if you are so unlucky as to draw the mythic figure to where you are at.

• Ghosts in Towers

★★★ Added by Ghosts in Towers

I think this suffered from too-high expectations for me, as I've heard how it's so-fucking-fantastic for 20+ years now, yet I found myself on the verge of being bored throughout.

I think I don't like Eastwood as a director. The movies of his that I've seen there's a plodding rhythm when there needs to be electricity.

• Steven Cohen

★★★★ Watched by Steven Cohen 07 Feb, 2015

Widely hailed as Clint Eastwood's greatest directorial effort, I finally caught Unforgiven after almost 23 consecutive years of not seeing it. Letters from Iwo Jima remains my favorite Eastwood film, but I can certainly see the appeal of this subversive western. The movie is built on great performances, particularly Gene Hackman as Bill Daggett, the sheriff whose place in the western archetypal pantheon is slowly undermined over the course of the film. All of the standard characters are redefined by…