• Nick Kline

★★★★★ Rewatched by Nick Kline 03 Oct, 2015

"... a known thief and murderer, a man of notoriously viscous
    and intemperate disposition."

A film that knows the moral and emotional weight of its violence.

• Matt Brosey

★★★ Added by Matt Brosey

The typical western movie, loved the sets. The story, however, was a bit odd, but felt the emotion toward the end. Poor Morgan Freeman, but at least it was a good one to watch.

• Mann_Ohne_Namen

★★★★★ Added by Mann_Ohne_Namen

Eastwood se despide del western , y qué despedida.

• Chase Eiland

★★★★★ Watched by Chase Eiland 30 Sep, 2015

One of the best anti-hero stories ever told with an amazing final shootout.

• Jeff King

★★★ Added by Jeff King

A realistic take on the western genre. The movie itself is good, but it almost seemed too gritty at times for me. The performances are impeccable throughout, but I just couldn't get into it. I would take several other westerns over this one in a list of westerns to watch.

• Jakub Flasz

★★★ Watched by Jakub Flasz 23 Sep, 2015

Clint Eastwood should really sometimes at least consider shooting a second take... It really shows...

• strangerpixel

★★★★ Rewatched by strangerpixel 25 Sep, 2015

I thought I hadn't seen this before but it all came back pretty quickly. My favourite Clint Eastwood line - possibly in any film - was confirmed on s cond viewing. Walking into the final bar shoot out: "Who's the fellow owns this shithole?".

• Erik Skybak

★★★★★ Rewatched by Erik Skybak 23 Sep, 2015

A meditation on how and why one man might deal out death to another. Filled to the brim with brilliant performances.

• Kaisersoze

★★★ Watched by Kaisersoze 23 Sep, 2015

Watched as part of a challenge for my podcast, The Countdown: Movie and TV Reviews, in which we went back to watch 10 films we haven't seen for 20 plus years to determine whether they still hold up.

There is a great deal to like about Clint Eastwood's funeral dirge to the Western genre - from its thoughtful consideration of the nature of violence to its rejection of a traditional "good guys" versus "bad guys" narrative; from its beautifully shot…

• Daniel PG Simpson

★★★★★ Rewatched by Daniel PG Simpson 22 Sep, 2015

After a bounty is placed on two men who cut up a hooker, former outlaw William Munny (Clint Eastwood) reluctantly returns to killing in order to provide for his family. That's the surface level plot, and it does work well, but what elevates Unforgiven to masterpiece status is the way it explores it's ideas. Eastwood is interested in exploring not only how the legends of the West were formed, but also why we're so fascinated by these myths in the…

• rotch

★★★★★ Rewatched by rotch 20 Sep, 2015 9

Eastwood sabía que el género se moría y decidió tallarle una lápida.

[fuera de broma, ¿qué gran western ha habido posterior a Unforgiven? Se me ocurre The Assassination of Jesse James... O el remake de True Grit tal vez. Ah, ¡The Proposition!]

• Minsen

★★★★ Watched by Minsen 21 Sep, 2015

Slow burning, gripping & gritty. You can't teach an old dog new tricks but eastwood is always good for an infernal old-guy-kick-ass-comeback story; & this one might be his best ever.
    --- Strong 8 ---