• dartagnan

★★★½ Watched by dartagnan 21 Sep, 2014

A film all about how legends are made, whether it's the lies men tell themselves, the misreporting of facts, the misremembering of details over time or y'know, ACTUAL STRAIGHTUP BADASSERY.

At times this film can feel overly sedate, especially for those familiar with Eastwood's earlier roles (and gosh I feel like he must have been as champing at the bit as I was the whole way through), but it's a story well-told and well-acted.

Come on, you'd expect nothing less…

• johnch

★★★★½ Watched by johnch 18 Sep, 2014

a down and dirty hero's journey. love the deconstruction of the Old West as much as i love the movies that it inspired. also the two scenes with Eastwood and Hackman are gold.

• JC13

★★★★½ Rewatched by JC13 27 Aug, 2014 5

Will Munny: "It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

The Schofield Kid: "Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming. "

Will Munny: "We all got it coming, kid."

If you ask me, when it comes to actors, Clint Eastwood is the king of the Western genre. From what I've seen, Unforgiven is Eastwood's best directorial effort and it isn't likely to ever be topped. Unforgiven tells…

• Balu

★★★★ Watched by Balu 14 Sep, 2014

Very fine action by all, especially Clint Eastwood and Gene Hackman. I personally feel Clint Eastwood is only a good actor in rough, gruff cowboy style characters, such as the one he played in this film not the least to mention Morgan Freeman has done his job prefectly

• frank_serpico

★★★★★ Added by frank_serpico

resurrection of WESTERN

• Tom Bannatyne

★★★★ Watched by Tom Bannatyne 23 Aug, 2014

'It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got, and all he's ever gonna have.'

Clint Eastwood has had something of a monopoly on the westerns of the second half of the 20th century. Like John Wayne before him it is impossible to think of the genre without his grizzled face leaping to memory, perhaps with some Sergio Leone affectations and a striking Morricone score. However, in Unforgiven, he strips back his own mythology, actively…

• Steven Wallace

★★ Watched by Steven Wallace 09 Sep, 2014

Eastwood's completely lackluster direction kills all tension and intrigue stone dead. Surprisingly bland.

• KMOKLER

★★★★½ Added by KMOKLER

An incredible western with awesome performances that just gets better every time I watch it and if you haven't seen Unforgiven then you are missing out big time.

• Mandalorian

★★★★ Added by Mandalorian

Unforgiven is a very well done film, to say the least. It is certainly deserving of the recognition it gets, and got. I'm glad that this movie won Best Picture. Clint Eastwood is obviously well known for his portrayal of cowboys back when Westerns owned the air waves. I love how he came back in the early 90's to show them he hadn't lost his touch with a Schofield or Henry Repeater. He was perfect, and played the role exactly…

• terradave

★★★★★ Rewatched by terradave 30 Aug, 2014

Unforgiven

"It's a hell of a thing killin' a man. You take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have." - William Munny

I had forgotten just what an amazing film Unforgiven is. I saw it when it was released in 1992 and once again, recently, after my local art house put on a repertory western series. They played The Searchers, Once Upon a Time in the West, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, The Wild Bunch and…

• Carlos Rodríguez

★★★★★ Watched by Carlos Rodríguez 26 Apr, 2008

Clint Eastwood delivers what is probably his most remarkable acting performance in Unforgiven, a 1992 film he also directed and produced that became one of the greatest Westerns of all time and one of his biggest accomplishments as a filmmaker. This gritty and riveting tale explores the moral implications of violence and revenge in a heart-wrenching and poignant way.

With a cast that also included Gene Hackman, Morgan Freeman, Richard Harris, and Jaimz Woolvett, Unforgiven is a profoundly human and powerful film that is one of my favorites of Eastwood's and from the early 1990s.

• Doomsday

★★★★★ Added by Doomsday

Clint Eastwood’s final western (to date) is a film that isn’t quite the antithesis of the western as many people describe. After all, he built a career out of playing flawed anti-heroes. It is however a film that expertly captures the duality of each character and highlights the old saying; you can change your character, you can’t change your nature.

Eastwood is William Munney (who could easily be the older version of almost any of his western characters he portrayed),…