• Henrik

★★★★★ Watched by Henrik 20 Feb, 2015

Beautifully shot, perfectly cast - pretty much a flawless film.

• InSession Film

★★★★★ Watched by InSession Film 19 Feb, 2015

Masterpiece.

• Obistrike

★★★★★ Rewatched by Obistrike 19 Feb, 2015 4

One of all time favourite endings and one of my all time favourite westerns. Slowly developed and perfectly realised, William Munney is fascinating, sympathetic and terrifyingly believable as both hero and villain. Eastwood is at his peak and is well supported Harris, Hackman and Freeman. The Kid is ok.

Beautifully shot and scored, its deliberate pace serves it well and the dialogue is profound and genuinely comical. I will never not be happy to watch this movie.

• Greg Butler

★★★★★ Watched by Greg Butler 16 Feb, 2015

If this was Eastwoods last western, then he went out with a bang. While Unforgiven can be a little slow at times, it is made up for with terrific story telling and a fantastic climax. I loved watching Eastwood evolve back into the killing machine he used to be as the movie matures throughout. Morgan Freeman kills it as usual and to me the star of the movie was the performance by the great Gene Hackman. Hollywood needs more Eastwood and Hackmans. Pure Big Screen Superstars.

• Sam Blackburn

★★★★★ Rewatched by Sam Blackburn 17 Feb, 2015

A badass Western, a badass revenge film and overall one badass movie. Clint Eastwood at his finest.

• Edwin Davies

★★★★★ Rewatched by Edwin Davies 16 Feb, 2015

Eastwood's masterpiece. A thrilling Western that inverts the tropes of the genre and punctures Old West mythology, but does so in a way that doesn't feel obvious or overplayed. Eastwood's direction and David Webb Peoples' script imbue characters that could have been little more than archetypes with personality and humanity, ultimately creating a nuance and complex image of a genre that its director knew well enough to turn on its head. A definitive statement on violence and the West from one of the great practitioners of both.

• Colonel_Dax

★★★★★ Rewatched by Colonel_Dax 15 Feb, 2015

Among Clint Eastwood's crowning achievements (certainly "the", from a directorial standpoint), Unforgiven functions beautifully as not only a haunting human drama, but as a meta prism into not only the western genre, but in to the nature of the violence itself therein, and how ultimately, it only serves to perpetuate a viscous cycle. By the time the film's reached its deliberate, and bloody end, Unforgiven has transformed into utter tragedy, and an impeccably crafted one at that.

From the sweeping…

• Cosmos_Mariner

★★★★★ Watched by Cosmos_Mariner 12 Feb, 2015

One of the 5 best westerns ever made. And among the best of any genre.

• Brian McLain

★★★★★ Rewatched by Brian McLain 11 Feb, 2015

William Munny is a reformed outlaw... or is he? He's convinced himself that he is by repeatedly telling anyone that will listen that his late wife changed him of his ways. Yet the promise of reward money for the death of two men (one of who drunkenly slashed a prostitute's face... the other one just happened to be that man's friend), leads him to abandon his young children and seek vengeance. Perhaps killing seeps into your bones and never leaves...…

• Ian Campbell

★★★★★ Rewatched by Ian Campbell 10 Feb, 2015

There have been some very good ones since, but is this the last truly great western? None come to mind.

• Nate Gass

★★★★★ Rewatched by Nate Gass 09 Feb, 2015

"It's a hell of a thing, killin' a man. Take away all he's got, and all he's ever gonna have."

"I guess he had it coming."

"We all got it coming, kid."

• Adam Kempenaar

★★★★★ Rewatched by Adam Kempenaar 08 Feb, 2015

You're given free reign to 'improve' UNFORGIVEN. What would you change? On second viewing, I don't think I'd touch a shot, a line (so many quotable ones), a line reading, a performance, the mixture of tragedy and comedy (I laughed every time Hackman referred to English Bob as "The Duck")... I certainly wouldn’t alter the balance Eastwood and David Webb Peoples strike between classical and revisionist filmmaking; UNFORGIVEN is much more than a meta exercise, even as it asks us to consider where narrative and truth coincide and diverge.

Filmspotting Sacred Cow Review w/ Michael Phillips coming on episode #525.