• Erin Finnerty

★★★½ Added by Erin Finnerty

this movie is pretty good. in a surprising twist, the female lead is the sympathetic character and hot young john travolta is kind of a dick. it's a surprising twist unless of course you've seen staying alive, which has more or less the same plot. subbing in mechanical bull riding for dance here. JT looks to die for in a white tshirt, cowboy hat and jeans

• Andrew Infante

★★★★½ Rewatched by Andrew Infante 25 Jun, 2015

codeine crazy

• Laura

★★★½ Watched by Laura 20 Jun, 2015

ok not my favorite film about texas per se but def a veryy ACCURATE depiction of it and being white trash in general so credit to where credit is due i guess

• Finn Oberle

Watched by Finn Oberle 14 Jun, 2015

In an alternate universe, this is a more plotless movie about all the folks who frequent Gilley's. One plot line follows a country boy who's new to Houston; he falls in love with a girl at the club and wins her affections after defeating a rival wooer in a mechanical bulls riding contest. Unfortunately in this universe, that plot line is extended to 132 minutes, becoming the entire story. FULL DISCLOSURE: If I don't love a romance, I typically will…

• Hershal Whiteman

★★½ Watched by Hershal Whiteman 13 Jun, 2015

There was something bothering me about this film as I was watching it. I couldn't quite put my finger on it. It wasn't that basically none of the characters were particularly likable. I've seen plenty of movies with nasty characters. Travolta's Bud is an abusive, ignorant all too typical male Texan the sort of which I've seen my entire life. So that wasn't it. It's the fact that there's no real story, no real character arc, no real growth. Bud…

• Emalie

★★★★ Watched by Emalie 07 May, 2015

I very much enjoy young John Travolta's deeply insecure, desperately overcompensating boyish characters he does so well. Debra Winger was also extremely adorable and likable.

• Alberto Farina

★★★ Watched by Alberto Farina 02 Apr, 2015

Young man who's left the country for Houston finds his off-work raison d'être as a champion in mechanic bull rodeos. Based on Aaron Latham's article from Esquire Magazine (Latham also co-wrote the film with director Bridges) film offers a riveting, non judgmental peek into a community sticking to its outdated, culturally challenged values.

• Austin Shermer

★★★ Watched by Austin Shermer 14 Jan, 2015

Sure it's well made and has some good performances but c'mon, it's a film about mechanic bull riding.

• Roy-Petter K. Johansen

★★★ Watched by Roy-Petter K. Johansen 08 Jan, 2015

What makes this film interesting is it actors, and the life and charisma they give their characters. On paper the same characters are boring and cliched, and the story of simple, childish and unsympathetic males engaging in spitting, wife-hitting and mechanical bull-contests on a daily basis, is dull and way too long.

But thankfully John Travolta, Debra Winger, Barry Corbin and Madolyn Smith all make the movie come alive, and even manage to make it a compelling watch. Especially Winger…

• landskip

★★★½ Watched by landskip 12 Aug, 2014

A familiar story, but told with a fine sense of character, mood, emotion.

• Dan Bergstrom

★★★½ Added by Dan Bergstrom

Four things turn this average film into a pretty decent film: First, Travolta's beard. It's so awesome. It's like Pacino's beard in Carlito's Way awesome. Second, Barry Corbin. I love Uncle Bob. He's great in everything. Third, this movie has an excellent soundtrack. I'm not big on country. I own maybe three country discs. But this has a lot of great stuff on it. Possbily because it's got some pop and rock flavor in there. And possibly because country didn't…

• Oti