• Valdimar Hauksson

★★★ Watched by Valdimar Hauksson 16 Jul, 2015

An iconic soundtrack + Debra Winger rides a mechanic bull = Good enough for me.

• hankiro

★★★ Watched by hankiro 16 Jul, 2015

A don't give a shrimp about bullriding or any other country bullshit, but how wasn't Travolta nominated for anything?

• t_pitty

★★ Added by t_pitty

Silly, misogynist, not enough two-stepping.

• Leyendecker

★★★★ Added by Leyendecker

Yes, for real. It's that good.

Read the Texas Monthly article for context: www.texasmonthly.com/story/oral-history-of-urban-cowboy-turning-35

• Nathan Smith

Watched by Nathan Smith 08 Jul, 2015

"To cowboys... and all that implies."

• Joe Cool

★★ Watched by Joe Cool 13 Jun, 2015

Nothing actually happens in this movie. No character growth, no interesting story, not even a conflict worth getting riled up about. Just a bunch of unlikable white trash good for nothings killing time until they drink or fight themselves to death. Or fall off a mechanical bull the wrong way (which is what I was hoping would happen but never did). And this pointless movie is over two hours long.

• Erin Finnerty

★★★½ Added by Erin Finnerty

this movie is pretty good. in a surprising twist, the female lead is the sympathetic character and hot young john travolta is kind of a dick. it's a surprising twist unless of course you've seen staying alive, which has more or less the same plot. subbing in mechanical bull riding for dance here. JT looks to die for in a white tshirt, cowboy hat and jeans

• Andrew Infante

★★★★½ Rewatched by Andrew Infante 25 Jun, 2015

codeine crazy

• Laura

★★★½ Watched by Laura 20 Jun, 2015

ok not my favorite film about texas per se but def a veryy ACCURATE depiction of it and being white trash in general so credit to where credit is due i guess

• Finn Oberle

Watched by Finn Oberle 14 Jun, 2015

In an alternate universe, this is a more plotless movie about all the folks who frequent Gilley's. One plot line follows a country boy who's new to Houston; he falls in love with a girl at the club and wins her affections after defeating a rival wooer in a mechanical bulls riding contest. Unfortunately in this universe, that plot line is extended to 132 minutes, becoming the entire story. FULL DISCLOSURE: If I don't love a romance, I typically will…

• Hershal Whiteman

★★½ Watched by Hershal Whiteman 13 Jun, 2015

There was something bothering me about this film as I was watching it. I couldn't quite put my finger on it. It wasn't that basically none of the characters were particularly likable. I've seen plenty of movies with nasty characters. Travolta's Bud is an abusive, ignorant all too typical male Texan the sort of which I've seen my entire life. So that wasn't it. It's the fact that there's no real story, no real character arc, no real growth. Bud…

• Emalie

★★★★ Watched by Emalie 07 May, 2015

I very much enjoy young John Travolta's deeply insecure, desperately overcompensating boyish characters he does so well. Debra Winger was also extremely adorable and likable.