• Joseph William Lewis

★★ Watched by Joseph William Lewis 13 Nov, 2015

Desperately wants to be Saturday Night Fever for country music and really, really isn't. Though the culture itself is well-represented, the characters are one-dimensional and the romance is shallow and soapy. I'm not sure what I expected here, but I did not expect to be as bored as I was.

• Warriors

★★★★ Added by Warriors

This movie is more than some bully riding in a bar - it's about relationships and every day life;
    Ok sometimes Travolta and Winger are on automatic pilot, but they are definitely good actors.

• Faith J

★★½ Watched by Faith J 16 Oct, 2015

It has some good performances and some good scenes... outside of Gilley's. I may live in Texas but I just don't get jazzed about bull-riding and two-stepping.

• BillyStevenson

Watched by BillyStevenson 08 Oct, 2015

A kind of spiritual sequel to Saturday Night Fever, Urban Cowboy stars John Travolta as Bud Davis, a Texas cowboy who travels to Houston to earn enough money to buy his own ranch. While he’s there, he falls in love with Sissy, played by Debra Winger, who he meets at Gilley’s, a bar on the outskirts of the city, and the film follows the ups and downs of their romance, courtship, marriage and separation as they drift in and out…

• Torie

Watched by Torie 03 Aug, 2015

How much abuse do we have to watch Debra Winger withstand on screen? :l All of the men in this movie are gross.

• Valdimar Hauksson

★★★ Watched by Valdimar Hauksson 16 Jul, 2015

An iconic soundtrack + Debra Winger rides a mechanic bull = Good enough for me.

• hankiro

★★★ Watched by hankiro 16 Jul, 2015

A don't give a shrimp about bullriding or any other country bullshit, but how wasn't Travolta nominated for anything?

• t_pitty

★★ Added by t_pitty

Silly, misogynist, not enough two-stepping.

• Leyendecker

★★★★ Added by Leyendecker

Yes, for real. It's that good.

Read the Texas Monthly article for context: www.texasmonthly.com/story/oral-history-of-urban-cowboy-turning-35

• Nathan Smith

Watched by Nathan Smith 08 Jul, 2015

"To cowboys... and all that implies."

• Joe Cool

★★ Watched by Joe Cool 13 Jun, 2015

Nothing actually happens in this movie. No character growth, no interesting story, not even a conflict worth getting riled up about. Just a bunch of unlikable white trash good for nothings killing time until they drink or fight themselves to death. Or fall off a mechanical bull the wrong way (which is what I was hoping would happen but never did). And this pointless movie is over two hours long.

• Erin Finnerty

★★★½ Added by Erin Finnerty

this movie is pretty good. in a surprising twist, the female lead is the sympathetic character and hot young john travolta is kind of a dick. it's a surprising twist unless of course you've seen staying alive, which has more or less the same plot. subbing in mechanical bull riding for dance here. JT looks to die for in a white tshirt, cowboy hat and jeans