• Keith LaFountaine

★★★ Added by Keith LaFountaine

Valkyrie had the chance to be a fantastic historical thriller, but Singer's direction makes the film out to be a normal Tom Cruise action film. However, the final 20 minutes are very emotional and well done. Overall, though, Valkyrie is a very mixed bag.

• Nick Howard

★★★ Rewatched by Nick Howard 31 Mar, 2014

After discussing a few scenes during my Advanced Lighting Class I decided to give it a re-watch. It was not quite as exciting the second time. The one thing this film truly lacks is a change of pace, the whole thing seems to be filmed with the same pacing and it comes off quite roughly. It's like watching a 2 hour conversation.

• Grant Fitzgerald

★★★½ Rewatched by Grant Fitzgerald 26 Mar, 2014

I like this one. Though I would have preferred it on all German or at least with German accents, at least the transitioned from German to English.

• Casey Criswell

★★★ Watched by Casey Criswell 24 Mar, 2014

Watching for the next Instomatic Podcast

• Anders Nilsson

Added by Anders Nilsson

Andra världskriget-historia om Claus von Stauffenberg, arkitekten bakom det sista kända kuppförsöket mot Hitler. Stauffenberg gestaltas av en väl rollbesatt Tom Cruise. Tät spänning trots att man på förhand vet hur det ska gå.

• VenusianFryCook

★★★ Added by VenusianFryCook

Another WWII film about Nazis that all have British accents, except for Tom Cruise, who didn't even bother changing his voice. Valkyrie is a decent movie that never manages to make you care about a plot that you already know is going to fail. It honestly felt like it was nothing more than a paycheck for the entire cast.

• Robert Carrier

★★★½ Watched by Robert Carrier 16 Mar, 2014

Valkyrie is an altogether enjoyable viewing experience. It's well acted, Bryan Singer does a noteworthy job of building suspense, and it ropes you along from start to finish. I doubt I'll remember much about it in a year but I can certainly think of worse ways to spend 120 minutes in front of the television. I know that sounds like faint praise, but truthfully, I have no complaints.

• kaila Starr

★★★½ Rewatched by kaila Starr 17 Mar, 2014

Shit is fucked

• Cinemaddict

★★★ Watched by Cinemaddict 14 Mar, 2014

The fact that a Hollywood movie was made about a Nazi war hero starring Tom Cruise speaking English without a German accent is kind of hilarious. The mention of its existence is enough of a good joke about Hollywood. But then on top of that, literally nobody hasn't had the ending spoiled for them, and it still kind of works? That's some kind of miracle. Gotta give props where they're due, and I think that what Brian Singer pulled off…

• David Vonderhaar

★★★★½ Watched by David Vonderhaar 15 Mar, 2014

Gorgeous, profoundly moral film. It avoids all the Hollywood flourishes we might expect, and replaces it with a very subdued but highly realistic character moments. This isn't a "Here's how we're gonna kill Hitler!" caper; it's a "What practical steps would we have to take to end this war and save our country's people--even if one of those steps involves killing Hitler?".

The characters are aware of the stakes, and handle the tasks at hand with professionalism and courage. The…

• Todd Truffin

★★½ Watched by Todd Truffin 07 Mar, 2014

Passable. Like so many "inspired by true events" films, it tells its story well, and it is a story worth telling, but the film never rises to the level of examining the story.

• Ashe Collins

★★★½ Watched by Ashe Collins 06 Mar, 2014

Heart-breaking to see just how close something like this would have been to ending the war that much sooner. Probably one of the more involved attempts on his life, they've done a good job filling this with some great actors. Shame their all American and British instead of German, but hey, Hollywood.