• Roger Joseph Ebert

★★★½ Added by Roger Joseph Ebert

"Valkyrie" is a meticulous thriller based on a large-scale conspiracy within the German army to assassinate Hitler, leading to a failed bombing attempt on July 20, 1944. At the center of the plot was Col. Claus von Stauffenberg, played here by Tom Cruise as the moving force behind the attempted coup, which led to 700 arrests and 200 executions, including von Stauffenberg's. Because we know Hitler survived, the suspense is centered in the minds of the participants, who call up…

• Thief12

★★★★ Watched by Thief12 25 Oct, 2009

Much better than I expected, after reading reviews here and in other sites. I don't know if that's because of my fascination with all the World War II subject, but I thought it was a pretty good film. I have no complaints about Cruise's performance either. To have a film where you already know what will happen and still thrill you, that's quite an accomplishment. In all, the film could've been better, but it still was pretty good.

(review written in 2009)

• Mark Boszko

★★★ Watched by Mark Boszko 13 Mar, 2014

Competent wartime intrigue. Wonder how much of it is true. But not enough to research for myself.

• Keith LaFountaine

★★★ Added by Keith LaFountaine

Valkyrie had the chance to be a fantastic historical thriller, but Singer's direction makes the film out to be a normal Tom Cruise action film. However, the final 20 minutes are very emotional and well done. Overall, though, Valkyrie is a very mixed bag.

• Nick Howard

★★★ Rewatched by Nick Howard 31 Mar, 2014

After discussing a few scenes during my Advanced Lighting Class I decided to give it a re-watch. It was not quite as exciting the second time. The one thing this film truly lacks is a change of pace, the whole thing seems to be filmed with the same pacing and it comes off quite roughly. It's like watching a 2 hour conversation.

• Grant Fitzgerald

★★★½ Rewatched by Grant Fitzgerald 26 Mar, 2014

I like this one. Though I would have preferred it on all German or at least with German accents, at least the transitioned from German to English.

• Casey Criswell

★★★ Watched by Casey Criswell 24 Mar, 2014

Watching for the next Instomatic Podcast

• Anders Nilsson

Added by Anders Nilsson

Andra världskriget-historia om Claus von Stauffenberg, arkitekten bakom det sista kända kuppförsöket mot Hitler. Stauffenberg gestaltas av en väl rollbesatt Tom Cruise. Tät spänning trots att man på förhand vet hur det ska gå.

• VenusianFryCook

★★★ Added by VenusianFryCook

Another WWII film about Nazis that all have British accents, except for Tom Cruise, who didn't even bother changing his voice. Valkyrie is a decent movie that never manages to make you care about a plot that you already know is going to fail. It honestly felt like it was nothing more than a paycheck for the entire cast.

• Robert Carrier

★★★½ Watched by Robert Carrier 16 Mar, 2014

Valkyrie is an altogether enjoyable viewing experience. It's well acted, Bryan Singer does a noteworthy job of building suspense, and it ropes you along from start to finish. I doubt I'll remember much about it in a year but I can certainly think of worse ways to spend 120 minutes in front of the television. I know that sounds like faint praise, but truthfully, I have no complaints.

• kaila Starr

★★★½ Rewatched by kaila Starr 17 Mar, 2014

Shit is fucked

• Cinemaddict

★★★ Watched by Cinemaddict 14 Mar, 2014

The fact that a Hollywood movie was made about a Nazi war hero starring Tom Cruise speaking English without a German accent is kind of hilarious. The mention of its existence is enough of a good joke about Hollywood. But then on top of that, literally nobody hasn't had the ending spoiled for them, and it still kind of works? That's some kind of miracle. Gotta give props where they're due, and I think that what Brian Singer pulled off…