• Henry Chivers

★★★½ Rewatched by Henry Chivers 28 Sep, 2015

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

The story of the ill-fated plan to kill Adolf Hitler. This is a well made film with good solid production and great acting. We know the plan will fail but each time I watch it I keep finding myself hoping it won't.

• BennyWestside

★★★ Added by BennyWestside

Tom Cruise plays a German man, and it is NOT convincing.

Although, looking at the real life man he portrayed, Tom Cruise looks eerily similar to that dude.

• Tiago Massoni

★★½ Watched by Tiago Massoni 02 Sep, 2015

Sad, cause we know the end.

• Buddy Moore

★★★ Watched by Buddy Moore 24 Aug, 2015

Having seen a couple of documentaries on Claus von Stauffenberg's attempt to assassinate Hitler, I was not expecting to find much of interest here. But this dramatization of events became quite riveting, especially in the hours after the bombing. (The docs seemed to gloss over that part.) It reminded me of how I felt about "Apollo 13:" Knowing how it was going to end, I still was on the edge of my seat.

Singer has assembled an impressive cast, Bill…

• Ben Radetski

★★★ Added by Ben Radetski

I watched this several times when it first came DVD. Why? I don't know. My dad liked it a lot for some reason, I tagged along. It's okay I guess.

• Jeremy Heilman

★★ Watched by Jeremy Heilman 04 Jan, 2009

Singer here is clearly less attracted to the moral implications of his scenario than the opportunity the Nazi regime affords him for spectacle. His camera swirls around planes and formations of soldiers as if it can’t wait for them to spring into action. They don’t, though, so what results is a lot of hand-wringing over very little. The impotence inherent in the plot becomes the overwhelming sensation, but it results in surprisingly little dramatic tension. Cruise is miscast and unmistakably American, no matter how many British character actors surround him.

• Juan Espinoza

★★★★ Rewatched by Juan Espinoza 12 Aug, 2015 1

Quizás por conocer tantos detalles sobre esta historia en particular, hizo que la película en un primer visionado se me antojara un poco aburrida, gracias a que en casi todas las instancias podía yo anticipar lo que iba a pasar. Ahora que la veo unos años después puedo decir que es una historia dirigida con un pulso casi perfecto. La atención al detalle en el vestuario, en el diseño de producción, la música, la edición, etc. de verdad que la…

• Brett Leach

★★★★★ Rewatched by Brett Leach 11 Aug, 2015

Just an outstanding film. Suspenseful and well acted. And one of Bryan Singer's best films. I have seen it 3 times now and I love it more each time I see it.

• Dane Peterson

★★★½ Rewatched by Dane Peterson 01 Aug, 2015

I watched this Singer movie to prepare for Mission Impossible Rogue Nation since Tom Cruise is being blasted everywhere. For the amount of actors that composed this movie, it's surprising it has become so quickly forgotten. That being said, the story is adequately suspenseful but generally hollow. It rarely asks the viewer to look past the surface of events unfolding onscreen.

Singer directs a highly engaging political/historical thriller, and beyond the beautiful sets, the amazing locations, and the top-notch actors, I am underwhelmed by the film's overall ability to do no more than that.

• Andreas Walther

★½ Rewatched by Andreas Walther 07 Aug, 2015

Tom Cruise plays a man who recognizes the evil and degradation of the ideological cabal he belongs to. Oh, the irony. Beyond that, Valkyrie wants to be a taut Nazi thriller but never feels more than X-Men without the mutants. I'm sorry, neither Singer nor Cruise are cut out for cutting historical drama.

• TomerCoop

★★★★ Rewatched by TomerCoop 01 Aug, 2015

Cought it on TV and decided to watch again. I really liked it when it was on the big screen. Still got some good suspense and an interesting story. I think it's a top Bryan Singer flick right beside his X-Men films.

• A.C. Neel

★★½ Watched by A.C. Neel 04 Jun, 2015

Cool historical background information on an aspect of WWII that is not well known, but not a gripping or well-acted movie overall.