• Jeremy Heilman

★★ Watched by Jeremy Heilman 04 Jan, 2009

Singer here is clearly less attracted to the moral implications of his scenario than the opportunity the Nazi regime affords him for spectacle. His camera swirls around planes and formations of soldiers as if it can’t wait for them to spring into action. They don’t, though, so what results is a lot of hand-wringing over very little. The impotence inherent in the plot becomes the overwhelming sensation, but it results in surprisingly little dramatic tension. Cruise is miscast and unmistakably American, no matter how many British character actors surround him.

• Juan Espinoza

★★★★ Rewatched by Juan Espinoza 12 Aug, 2015 1

Quizás por conocer tantos detalles sobre esta historia en particular, hizo que la película en un primer visionado se me antojara un poco aburrida, gracias a que en casi todas las instancias podía yo anticipar lo que iba a pasar. Ahora que la veo unos años después puedo decir que es una historia dirigida con un pulso casi perfecto. La atención al detalle en el vestuario, en el diseño de producción, la música, la edición, etc. de verdad que la…

• Brett Leach

★★★★★ Rewatched by Brett Leach 11 Aug, 2015

Just an outstanding film. Suspenseful and well acted. And one of Bryan Singer's best films. I have seen it 3 times now and I love it more each time I see it.

• Dane Peterson

★★★½ Rewatched by Dane Peterson 01 Aug, 2015

I watched this Singer movie to prepare for Mission Impossible Rogue Nation since Tom Cruise is being blasted everywhere. For the amount of actors that composed this movie, it's surprising it has become so quickly forgotten. That being said, the story is adequately suspenseful but generally hollow. It rarely asks the viewer to look past the surface of events unfolding onscreen.

Singer directs a highly engaging political/historical thriller, and beyond the beautiful sets, the amazing locations, and the top-notch actors, I am underwhelmed by the film's overall ability to do no more than that.

• Andreas Walther

★½ Rewatched by Andreas Walther 07 Aug, 2015

Tom Cruise plays a man who recognizes the evil and degradation of the ideological cabal he belongs to. Oh, the irony. Beyond that, Valkyrie wants to be a taut Nazi thriller but never feels more than X-Men without the mutants. I'm sorry, neither Singer nor Cruise are cut out for cutting historical drama.

• TomerCoop

★★★★ Rewatched by TomerCoop 01 Aug, 2015

Cought it on TV and decided to watch again. I really liked it when it was on the big screen. Still got some good suspense and an interesting story. I think it's a top Bryan Singer flick right beside his X-Men films.

• A.C. Neel

★★½ Watched by A.C. Neel 04 Jun, 2015

Cool historical background information on an aspect of WWII that is not well known, but not a gripping or well-acted movie overall.

• The Movie King

★★★½ Watched by The Movie King 23 Jul, 2015 2

Honestly, I had no clue this story even existed. Maybe it's because I'm used to the common "all Nazis are evil" principle taught throughout history class or in American cinema (looking at you, Raiders of the Lost Ark!!!), but I honestly didn't know of this unsuccessful plot concocted by high-ranking German officials to assassinate Hitler. Thank you, Bryan Singer, for telling this story to the many that thought they knew WWII history but were blinded by their own common prejudice.…

• Erik Hawkins

★★½ Watched by Erik Hawkins 21 Jul, 2015

Pleasant in a quaint way. Also dull. And the American accents are truly distracting.

• Sam's Labyrinth

★★★½ Watched by Sam's Labyrinth 16 Jul, 2015

A solid historical thriller that isn't nearly as suspenseful or gripping as it should have been.

• Dale Hutchinson👌: Sept Challenged Individual

★★½ Added by Dale Hutchinson👌: Sept Challenged Individual

FUCK not even the Germans really liked Hitler

• Deven Seymour

★★★★ Watched by Deven Seymour 08 Jul, 2015

This movie did a great job of cranking up the tension, despite the fact that the audience knows the historical outcome.

I've read reviews where the reviewers complain of the actors speaking in their own American or British accents. Are you kidding me? In the beginning of the movie, director Bryan Singer uses a journal entry to pull a John McTiernan style language switch, making it very clear that regardless of the fact that the actors are speaking English, they…