• Todd Truffin

★★½ Watched by Todd Truffin 07 Mar, 2014

Passable. Like so many "inspired by true events" films, it tells its story well, and it is a story worth telling, but the film never rises to the level of examining the story.

• Ashe Collins

★★★½ Watched by Ashe Collins 06 Mar, 2014

Heart-breaking to see just how close something like this would have been to ending the war that much sooner. Probably one of the more involved attempts on his life, they've done a good job filling this with some great actors. Shame their all American and British instead of German, but hey, Hollywood.

• Ian Brumby

★★½ Watched by Ian Brumby 02 Mar, 2014

Tom Cruise, my hero. Scientology saved the world, again.

• TheCincyKid

★★½ Added by TheCincyKid

They may have been able to get by with having Brits play English-speaking Germans, except for the main heroic one played by an American, in the studio-era silver screen days, but you cannot expect not to be held up to the highest expectations of realistic world-building in the modern era of movies. If there were no doubts submitted by the sterling ensemble, or particularly the talented writer-director team behind The Usual Suspects and Apt Pupil, I would be surprised. But I'm already deeply disappointed in the waste of talent and subject matter.

• Cravey

★★★★ Added by Cravey

It speaks volumes of the abilities of Singer, Wilkinson, Nighy, and Branagh that this movie starred Tom Cruise and was still really, really good.

• Dean.

★★★½ Rewatched by Dean. 19 Jan, 2014

A taut, intelligent thriller from Bryan Singer. A brilliant ensemble cast with a surprisingly emotive Tom Cruise tops off an engaging, inspiring story #Valkyrie

• elhana

★★★★★ Rewatched by elhana 19 Jan, 2014

Encima de hijo puta tenia suerte

• Marco Pastuovic

★★★½ Added by Marco Pastuovic

"Valkyrie" is an underrated drama set in "WW2" with a magnificent cast and Bryan Singer on top of his game. But the script is poorly written in many key scenes. So the film is not as good as it could be. Sometimes cinematography and set design are lacking of dramatic atmosphere.

• Ben Stark

★★★★½ Watched by Ben Stark 03 Jan, 2009

Reviewed January 2009 at Everyonesacritic.net:

Very, very, very good. Singer and McQuarrie boil several complex political threads down to one straight-forward, tense narrative with very little fat or excess. The performances are all great here, especially Cruise and the tragically indecisive General Olbricht (Bill Nighy looking as German as anyone has ever looked). Singer's use of visual motifs is really smart and fitting, and manages to make eye contact as piercing and threatening as it can be in real life. Highly recommended!

A

• Niall Blackie

★★★½ Added by Niall Blackie

I have to admit that in recent years my hopes are never too high when sitting down to watch a Tom Cruise film, I think that some of the mediocre films he has done such as Knight and Day & Lions for Lambs have tainted my opinion of him. However, this turned out to be a better film than I expected.

The build up is well paced and keeps you interested in the story, despite you partly knowing the outcome. The…

• Sam Barnes

★★★★ Rewatched by Sam Barnes 29 Nov, 2013

A solid flick and the best stump and eye hole effects you will see.

• nicktday

★★★★ Rewatched by nicktday 24 Nov, 2013 12

The film looks fantastic, absolute beauty of a film. The story is a nerve jangler and while the characters are only very thinly sketched the performances are good enough to provide some emotional attachment. Singer does a great job of orchestrating the finely tuned operation and gives several wonderfully tense sequences but without any showboating. It's just a well made film with a good story.

I do kind of wish Singer had had the balls to cast Germans though.