• Jack Caulfield

★★★★ Rewatched by Jack Caulfield 31 May, 2014

Despite the fact that the ending of Valkyrie is revealed as soon as you read the plot synopsis, and despite the fact that you have a principally American and British cast speaking with their native accents playing high-ranking German officers, this film works. Beyond all reasonable logic, it is tense, it is totes emoshe, and it is consummately directed. Tom Cruise is great so suck it haters.

• Joshua Hoover

★★★½ Watched by Joshua Hoover 30 May, 2014

Great story marred by Tom Cruise as a WWII German officer. With that casting in place I expected Hitler to be played by Captain Kangaroo.

• Eugene McCrann

★★½ Added by Eugene McCrann

It's hard to make byzantine what's historically irrefutable. Hitler wasn't assassinated, so how does one prolong the climatic train wreck? The film initially addresses this problem by proceeding as a venerable espionage piece, heavy on covert dialogue, underground meeting rooms, ambiguous terms - redressing the spy film from what James Bond has done to it. No CGI, no real action to even speak of. I was kind of digging it until the actual plan went into effect, at which point it reverts to a sleek heist film, devoid of any juicy details.

• Thirdmango

★★★½ Watched by Thirdmango 24 May, 2014

Sorta enjoyable, sorta boring. It was a cool story and there are some in the cast that acted really well. I've already forgotten most of the movie and I just watched it the other day.

• Stephen Brown

★★★½ Watched by Stephen Brown 25 May, 2014

There isn't anything especially wrong here, in fact it's a nicely put together film with an interesting story and a great cast. But a day later I was struggling to remember what film I'd watched which suggests there is also something missing (or my memory is getting much worse).

• TajLV

★★★½ Added by TajLV

An excellent telling of real German attempts to assassinate Hitler during WWII. Cruise is at his best, not as a swashbuckling type but in a more serious role as the brains behind the operation, Valkyrie. Happenstance thwarts the best laid plans, of course, but even knowing that, this is an excellent thriller right to the final bullet shot.

• jdetrick

★★★½ Rewatched by jdetrick 12 May, 2014

Although I'm not a huge fan of Tom Cruise, the rest of the cast in this movie easily picks up his slack. It's a good film about an interesting time in the world.

• Austin Campbell

★★½ Added by Austin Campbell

Maybe it is an okay movie, but considering it's awesome premise and fantastic cast--seriously, Kenneth Branaugh, Bill Nighy, Tom Wilkinson, Terrence Stamp--I couldn't help but feel the nagging cry of disappointment all around me.

Tom Cruise is a strong actor, but his American accent sticks out in a bad way. I know the rest of the cast is speaking with a British accent despite playing German characters, but at least make the leading man follow suit.

• Chad Anderson

★★★½ Rewatched by Chad Anderson 16 May, 2014

This was on after I saw the new episodes of Supernatural and I half-watched it while doing other things. I am not the big fan of Tom Cruise, but I do enjoy how the movie is able to create suspense and tension over a failed plot that we all know that failed.

• BasedKorea

★½ Added by BasedKorea

Pretty dam awful and i was even in Pairs when it was filmed

• Andy Nelson

★★★★½ Rewatched by Andy Nelson 14 May, 2014

When I watch this film, I can't help but be surprised that it works as well as it does. It's truly a white knuckle war thriller that keeps me on the edge of my seat even though I know the outcome. I suppose I felt it wouldn't work because of the casting, but in all honesty, it's a remarkable cast -- Tom Wilkinson, Eddie Izzard, Bill Nighy, Kenneth Branagh, Terence Stamp -- led by a fantastic Tom Cruise, who not…

• JackGir

★★★★ Added by JackGir

A very good man on a mission film. Not enough love for this movie.