• sebastian_drogo

★★★½ Watched by sebastian_drogo 12 May, 2015

Du Welz aveva già girato un horror durissimo (Calvaire) e qui, nel secondo lungometraggio della sua carriera brillante ed in ascesa,
    cerca di "fare entrare i vivi nel regno dei morti", seguendo le peregrinazioni di una coppia francese che, avendo perso il figlioletto durante uno tsunami in Thailandia, vaga per le foreste della Cambogia alla sua diperata ricerca, finendo per perdere se stessi e la ragione.
    Non tutto torna alla fine, e forse il problema principale è la deriva estetizzante che prende la mano al regista, ma, alla resa dei conti
    rimane un prodotto filmico disturbante e alieno, da vedere.

• Steven Millan

Watched by Steven Millan 25 Apr, 2015

Fabrice DuWeiz's film starts out interesting,as a couple(Rufus Sewell,Emmanuelle Beart) receive news of their missing child being lcaoted in Thailand,with the couple immediately befalling to bad luck once they arrive,with a unscrupulous boat dealer(Petch Osathanugrah) making matters worse when he not ontl steals their money,but also takes them to the missing son's rumored location,which turns out to be a vast remote jungle where both truly horrirble things await them in both the jungle's treacherous reigns,and a large tribe of wild,murderous…

• Andrew Neill

Watched by Andrew Neill 08 Mar, 2015

I really did not like or enjoy this film, the performances were interesting and well played but the story and the choices made by everyone in the film went the wrong way for me and I did not get it, the ending baffled me as well and I needed more of an explanation but overall not a film I will revisit or would recommend.

• Daria Dykes

★★★★ Watched by Daria Dykes 19 Apr, 2015

Since I have never heard anybody mention this film or recommend it, I'm going to tentatively say that this is one of the most underrated movies I've ever seen.

Intense and grueling, it points an accusatory finger right at its privileged audience. We all remember the tsunami, and waiting breathlessly on updates of the devastating reports about how many tourists from each country were thought to be lost. Well, fuck all of us.

It loses a whole half a star…

• Dead Moon Night

★★★★ Watched by Dead Moon Night 01 Apr, 2015

Jeanne and Paul Bellmer lost their child Josh in the tsunami. Six months later Jeanne thinks she sees their boy in a video filmed in Burma. With a glimpse of hope as their only companion they go search for their lost son in a civilization they do not know...

I've always thought that Vinyan was a horror movie set in the jungle, in a way it is but it's not some bloody rampage where a killer is on the loose.…

• nefolk

★★★★ Added by nefolk

Rufus Sewell and Emmanuelle Béart journey into the heart of darkness. Really quite impressive once you dismiss the plot as superficial and view it as a metaphoric work of art, the characters being manifestations of a singular psyche, the interplay of subconscious forces whilst searching for something lost, e.g. one’s childhood. Here darkness prevails, hence the ‘horror’. Not entirely flawless, yet the cinematography is incredible, the sound and ambience enthralling.

• Pablo Mateu

★★★½ Watched by Pablo Mateu 31 Jan, 2015

Beart, cuando te veo actuar solo veo tus morros, ¿porque te tuviste que operar? Quitando los morros de ella el resto muy bien.

• Chris Alley

Watched by Chris Alley 05 Apr, 2009

Not for everyone, this bleak and uncomfortable tale follows a couple searching for their son who was lost at sea after a tsunami in Burma.

• Nicola Altieri

★★★½ Watched by Nicola Altieri 01 Feb, 2015

A desperate and hallucinated journey looking for a reason wich no longer exists. Visually inspired by the straight and stunning vision of Fabrice Du Welz, one of the most brilliant author of the exiting Belgian cinema. More silences and less events, driven by a drone narration, could create an awesome movie.

• Gavin Rye

★★★ Watched by Gavin Rye 03 Jan, 2015

I had really enjoyed the directors previous film, The Ordeal, but this one, while still decent, isn't as good. The film as a whole reminded me a little of Nicholas Winding Refn's Valhalla Rising. This film at times uses minimalism with moody shots of the landscape as the couple continue on the journey to find their missing son and both films rely heavily on mood too.

There certainly felt like there was something missing from Vinyan though. The wife seems…

• Hundeskaal

★★★★★ Added by Hundeskaal

This film is that kind of horror that is based on atmosphere and the way it is build up and the photographic elements. It is a lot like Calvaire, but horrific in another way. I found it haunting the way that I believe the son to be dead, but their desperate, ultimately destroying journy for a naive hope of finding their son. Being cheated over and over, yet they still go on just for that string of hope of finding…

• LiteYear

★★★★ Watched by LiteYear 29 May, 2011

"watched Vinyan. It won't be everyone's cup of tea but I liked it, even the bonkers ending. 8."

"Vinyan is a good example of a movie that is taken to another level by good sound editing and production. Would have been average otherwise."