• Cogerson

★★★½ Watched by Cogerson 05 Apr, 2015

Why I watched this one? The DVD cover had a mini review from Roger Ebert saying good the movie was....so I decided to check it out.

What is this one about? Riva is a thief....but seems to be a nice guy. When he steals his bosses gas barrels all hell breaks loose....as Riva's country is experiencing a horrible gas crisis.

My thoughts on this one? This is not so bad....at times I was reminded of a Quentin Tarantino movie or…

• wildestpenfield

★★★ Added by wildestpenfield

Given all the complaints about American blockbusters taking over foreign markets, it's a shame to see a derivative attempt at a blockbuster monopolize international exposure for African cinema.
    I take no issue with making a Hollywood-style gangster film, but at least make the story and/or the characters interesting (with the possible exception of the villain, who acquits himself reasonably well). Christ, I would have been happy just to see more of Kinshasa itself; the rare slice of life bits (like…

• Matt Suppes

★★½ Watched by Matt Suppes 18 Sep, 2014

Hits you right in the face with its themes, and then hits every character in the face literally.

• Michael

★★★ Watched by Michael 12 Jun, 2011

A good, traditional gangster film with the bonus of an unfamiliar setting to lend an exotic flavor.

• ninajackson

★★★ Watched by ninajackson 03 Apr, 2014

A director and a movie that doesnt care to show the cruel reality of that country

• Callan Bond

★★★½ Watched by Callan Bond 25 Aug, 2013

Crime flick shot in the Congo, "Viva Riva!" makes excellent use of its setting and has plenty of little details about life there that supplement this solid crime-drama-thriller.

Riva plays a criminal who returns to Kinshasha with a truck full of stolen gasoline, set to make a fortune in the fuel-deprived capital of the country. Things aren't easy although he plays it cool: he has the gang he double-crossed in Angola hot on his heels, he's trying to woo away…

• lloydlangman

★★★ Added by lloydlangman

Despite appearances (that poster is God awful), this was actually pretty good. Ok, so the story's a little bit naff and you've probably seen films like it plenty of times over. But it carries you along quite nicely, and Kinshasa is a fascinating setting.

• ishark

★★ Watched by ishark 22 May, 2013

21st Film for Around the World in May- Congo

Pretty run of the mill story and acting and my views pretty much align with other reviewers of this film and was curious to see a full modern feature film to come out of Africa.

• Thomas Ringdal

Watched by Thomas Ringdal 19 May, 2013

30 Films from 30 Countries, nr7: Congo

Fun as a look-in to an exotic and chaotic nation (continent), but this is a mess. The actors, if you can call them that, aren't helped much by the script, but it is pretty hard to sit through this, I must admit. The lead guy should consider being an Omar Epps impersonator, because he's sure as hell not an actor.

• Peter Labuza

★★ Watched by Peter Labuza 30 Apr, 2013 3

The dirty crimes of Zaire
    Melded onto our aesthetics.
    Because Africa
    Needs a Michael Bay
    And I'm totally serious.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
    -Evelyn Beatrice Hall, The Friends of Voltaire

A profoundly silly movie, that's more or less the type of American gangster movie that is over-the-top in so many ways, while also annoyingly moralizing. And yet, an important film in many ways: manages to make…

• Rich Turner

★★★ Watched by Rich Turner 13 Jan, 2013 4

An enjoyably fast-paced gangster thriller, which is marred by some inexplicable character actions and a bizarre conclusion.

• Jermaine Amani

★½ Watched by Jermaine Amani 22 Sep, 2012

A complete mess of a film! It's best to avoid this one!