• Zach a.m.

★★★½ Watched by Zach a.m. 04 Dec, 2016

Here is a movie that has all the makings of a soap opera but with none of the ghastly effects or style and one of the best cleavage shots in the history of cinema.

Cruz is fantastic. This movie is rather grounded for a plot that feels like it could slip from out of your grasp at any moment. In fact, at every precise moment it feels like it's about to fly off, it immediately grounds itself. All the drama…

• Victor Sartório

★★★★½ Watched by Victor Sartório 03 Dec, 2016

Scavenger Hunt #21 ( letterboxd.com/vsartorio/list/december-scavenger-hunt-21/ ) - Movie #5

Task #23 A Film with an Hispanic Female Lead

***

A real masterpiece. The film poetically approaches the relation of complicity between women in a patriarchal society. Subtly the director traces the power relations between genders, while keeping the male characters away from the plot.

The filmmaking of Almodovar is superb, the mood of the film turns from a kind of dramatic black comedy to an intense drama of family relationships.…

• Eugenio C

★★★★½ Watched by Eugenio C 02 Dec, 2016

As most of you should know since it is written in my bio, I am a half Italian and half Spanish. And as a Spaniard, one of the directors I had yet been introduced to was Pedro Almodovar, perhaps the best Spanish director of all time?

And Volver, one of his masterpieces, was well... a masterpiece. From the cinematography, to the soundtrack, to the acting, to Penelope Cruz, to the plot, to the Spanish authenticity it has, to the colors…

• Spiral_Mountain

★★★ Watched by Spiral_Mountain 29 Nov, 2016

An unexpectedly underwhelming film. I'd heard a lot about Almodovar being lauded as the best director working in Spain. Meh. It's great that he writes his own films, but i don't see a ton of ingenuity here. The narrative was fine. The acting was good. The filming style was straightforward. I wouldn't begin to compare him with Bunuel, but perhaps I need to watch more of his work.

I'll forget this shortly.

• Olivier Lemay

★★★★½ Watched by Olivier Lemay 29 Nov, 2016

alfred hitchcock WISHES

• Clayton Dillard

★★★★ Added by Clayton Dillard

If the camaraderie of women forms a significant portion of Almodóvar's aesthetic interests, then Volver is perhaps the most pleasurable, and accessible, expression of those aims. It's also a showcase for Penélope Cruz and Carmen Maura as two generations of women whose meeting doubles as a two-decade bridge from What Have I Done to Deserve This? to the present: a changing of the guard from one iconic performer to another. It's an altogether warm, glowing film, but by no means…

• princessorgana

★★★½ Watched by princessorgana 24 Nov, 2016

Segunda peli de Almodóvar que veo.
    Segunda peli que hace que ame a este hombre.

• Pumulque

★★★★★ Watched by Pumulque 22 Nov, 2016

BRUTAL, con todas las letras.

• Lee Gaze

★★ Watched by Lee Gaze 21 Nov, 2016

The ghost was pushing it. Cruz singing (not singing) ruined it.

• Nicole Chávez

★★★★½ Watched by Nicole Chávez 19 Nov, 2016

she 👏 did 👏 that 👏

• Paul Gallagher

★★★★½ Rewatched by Paul Gallagher 16 Nov, 2016

Penelope Cruz has never been better, and, maybe, neither has Almodovar.

• isa

★★★★ Rewatched by isa 15 Nov, 2016

i think men have like ... maybe ten lines total in this entire film. i feel refreshed and rejuvenated and ready to give back to the community