• ndoane

★★★★ Watched by ndoane 31 Aug, 2014

Three Almodovar movies and three successes for me. It was a delightful plot and lots of strong female roles.

This is the best I've seen Cruz. Although that has to be qualified with this being the first time I've seen her in in a spanish language film.

• Chris Campbell

Watched by Chris Campbell 18 Oct, 2006

During the recent Atlantic Film Festival I was able to see Pedro Almodovar’s Volver and I was very glad that I did. The theatre was packed to capacity and it was a lot of fun. With solid performances all around and confident, playful direction, it’s about women, family and struggle. It’s more about the characters than a tightly constructed plot and when I realized that it was very fun as I watch Penelope Cruz struggle to survive with the women…

• Barbara Henry

★★★★★ Added by Barbara Henry

Estrogenic, funny, humane, and compassionate -- to say nothing of visually fantastic! It was a great treat to see Penelope Cruz in her own element. How Pedro Almodovar must love women! How delightful to watch a movie in which the men are exotic and strange and the women competent and communal. Add to that some elements of magical realism, and you've got an extra good time at the movies!

• rjvegas

★★★★★ Rewatched by rjvegas 14 Feb, 2014

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

• Lucas Barwenczik

★★★½ Watched by Lucas Barwenczik 27 Aug, 2014

Almodovar verwandelt das ländliche Spanien in eine Zwischenwelt, in der Tote lebendig und Lebendige tot werden. Gewalt gegenüber Frauen scheint sich wie ein Fluch durch Generationen zu ziehen, diese bilden als Reaktion liebevollen Kabalen. Gegen Ende häufen sich die Wendungen ein bisschen zu sehr, weniger wäre mehr gewesen. Tonal manchmal etwas wirr, dafür sind all die tollen Darstellerinnen wirklich hervoragend.

• AlecinRealLife

★★★★ Watched by AlecinRealLife 15 Aug, 2014

This was strange. But also beautiful! How great is Penelope Cruz, man?

• Fesapo

★★★½ Watched by Fesapo 05 Feb, 2007

77/100

• Josh Larsen

★★★★½ Rewatched by Josh Larsen 20 Jul, 2014 3

Take that, death.

• Ali Heidari

★★★★ Watched by Ali Heidari 14 Jul, 2014

I'm not going to tell you what the film is about because what was about for me it may not be for you and one of the many pleasures of the film is to find yourself there. Just let me say that after the Sahara, Vanilla Sky and Captain Corelli's Mandolin's adventures in Hollywood, I had discarded Penelope Cruz as an actress, completely. Well, "Volver" made me swallow my judgment. She is, quite simply, spectacular. A sort of Sophia Loren…

• Drebin

★★★★★ Watched by Drebin 05 Apr, 2014

A master class of tone balancing as it transitions from melodrama to farce, and then back again. Narratively speaking its revelations and twists are wonderfully bonkers, yet it somehow doesn’t feel that way as it unfolds. The rich, bold palette is totally embracing and beautiful - elevated camp of the highest order. Women as a life force, and the cast completely realizes this doctrine. Definitely the first women-centred Almodovar drama (The Skin I Live In is more of a thriller, and Banderas struck me as the focus) I’ve fully gone for, rather than merely admiring from a distance.

• Matt Heiser

★★★ Added by Matt Heiser

The biggest problem I had with this movie was that the sisters, upon seeing their mother again after like 15 years, aren't immediately like "how could you abandon us for all those years?" and "how did you fake your death" and instead assume she's a ghost come back to look over them. I mean, REALLY??? Are Spanish people really generally this superstitious? I mean, really. Despite this issue, the movie is interesting, otherwise.

• Matt Heiser

★★★ Added by Matt Heiser

The biggest problem I had with this movie was that the sisters, upon seeing their mother again after like 15 years, aren't immediately like "how could you abandon us for all those years?" and "how did you fake your death" and instead assume she's a ghost come back to look over them. I mean, REALLY??? Are Spanish people really generally this superstitious. I mean, really. Despite this issue, the movie is interesting, otherwise.