• Chris

★★★★½ Rewatched by Chris 22 Aug, 2015

Quite simply, Volver is the greatest of Almodovar's movies. As he has tried to carve out before, with partial success, he manages to construct the epic melodrama, something which stands with Fassbinder and Sirk at their very greatest moments. It has comedy, some of his funniest, but it has the dark moments, the realism with dashes of surrealism.

In more than one way the movie feels like the two eras of his career crashing into one whole, with the enfant…

• Jeff

★★★★ Watched by Jeff 19 Aug, 2015

An interesting movie. This what enjoyable Penelope Cruz is very good in this. And the writing is superb. The thing I think I like the most is there are some nice director touches throughout the movie but they aren't so heavy handed that it distracts from the movie itself. Overall good movie with an interesting story and a some very good performances what more can you really ask for 7/10.

• Brian Stack

★★★★ Added by Brian Stack

Three years after Soledad's parents died in a fire, she discovers the ghost of her mother Irene while visiting her aunt Paula. When Soledad returns home, Irene's ghost moves in with her.

Meanwhile, Soledad's sister Raimunda (Penelope Cruz) comes home to find her daughter Paula has killed her father during an attempted rape. Raiumunda calmly hides the corpse in the freezer and devises a plan to dispose of it.

Eventually, Raimunda encounters Irene's ghost and several long-buried secrets are exposed.…

• Jason

★★★½ Watched by Jason 16 Aug, 2015

This is yet another enjoyable woman driven multi-generational melodrama by Pedro Almodovar. The entire cast is excellent, and from memory there is only two male characters of note. It's much less camp than the other films of his that I have seen but it's still very much in his style.

• Michiel Venmans

★★★½ Watched by Michiel Venmans 13 Aug, 2015

Vandaag speelde ik mee in een muziekvideo van een vriend die zijn toelatingsproef opnam voor het Rits. Zijn thema was 'van hier naar daar' en het verhaal ging erover dat een man (Michiel) samenleefde met een pop (geshminkt) en hier geobsedeerd door was. Plots verdwijnt de pop en wordt de man, zeg maar, krankzinnig. Omdat deze vriend mij vaak uit de nood heeft geholpen, ik vandaag niets te doen had en het mij een interessante oefening leek om een krankzinnige…

• María A

★★★★ Watched by María A 12 Aug, 2015

Ay, mi primera película de Almodovar, la emoción. (Si, tengo muchas cuentas pendientes con el cine en general)
    Pues me ha gustado mucho. Y que queréis que os diga, la Pe y Lola Dueñas están las dos fantásticas.

• Jon Hillman

★★★½ Added by Jon Hillman

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

The film starts so many interesting stories and ideas that go nowhere: the husband is killed and the body is disposed of and that's it, Cruz's character has several flirtatious moments at the restaurant with a member of the film crew who we never see again, there is a lot of strange focus on Cruz's cleavage which seemed gratuitous (not that I minded) etc. It's as if Almodovar had a several directions that he wanted the story to go in and decided to abandon all of them. Still, there's enough here to enjoy, and Penelope Cruz is certainly easy on the eyes.

• TigerAMSG

★★★★½ Added by TigerAMSG

First almodovar film I've seen. There better be more!

• Rosp

★★★½ Added by Rosp

Nota = 7,5

• Justin Geldzahler

★★★★½ Watched by Justin Geldzahler 20 Jul, 2015

The strong emotional undercurrent helps this movie soar and separate it from the director's other Hitchcock-melodrama pastiches. Funny, sweet, thrilling, touching. Every performance feels lived in, and even if the movie can be a bit shaggy, it's a lovely place to be.

• Tim Burnham

★★½ Watched by Tim Burnham 16 Jul, 2015

Perhaps I need another viewing to comprehend this film, but my first impression was that it was very scattered and kept hopping between tones and narratives without any noticeable reasons.
    The only tenuous link between the various characters and their stories is that they all come from a shared history of abuse and mistrust.
    Visually, there was not much on display, and the acting was perfunctory.

• Warren

★★★★★ Watched by Warren 12 Jul, 2015

I should have seen this in 2006. It's a long story, but I didn't. I wonder if my love affair with Almodovar would have started then, had I actually set down and watched it. But it doesn't matter. It was a gift to watch it today for the first time. This is really a fantastic outing, with Penelope Cruz and Carmen Maura turning in great performances. The story seemed like typical melodrama for much of the film (save for the…