• Keith

★★★½ Watched by Keith 13 Dec, 2014 1

Quite simply a beautiful film. It has enough layering, that it keeps you interested, but not too much layering, so it loses its "real"-ness. It has a group of Spanish actresses doing their absolute best work, lead by a thoroughly captivating Penelope Cruz.

Until watching The Skin I Live In a while back, I had always avoided Almodovar, and thought he was quite overrated. That film and this have changed my opinion of his work. There are still plenty of his films to watch, but if his other films are as good as these two, he will be among the very best foreign-language directors imho.

• Matthew Wooldridge

★★½ Watched by Matthew Wooldridge 30 Dec, 2006

I usually try not to know too much about any foreign film I see because I like going to these movies fresh - they're like art films. And if I read the plot synopsis, it usually ruins the journey. I don't know why I’m like this ...

All I knew going in was that it was Almodovar and that it got mostly good/great reviews. And since I liked ALL ABOUT MY MOTHER and loved TALK TO HER, knew I couldn't…

• Elliot Fane

★★★★ Added by Elliot Fane

After seeing Almodovar's 'The Skin I Live In' and being absolutely blown away, I was looking forward to seeing his other film, 'Volver'. It was overall very good but I was hoping for it to be slightly better.

That's weird... I gave it an 8 out of 10 but I was partially disappointed. To be fair, that mainly comes from the fact that it wasn't as entertaining as TSILN. Aside from that, a fantastic performance by Penelope Cruz, some great…

• Alistair

★★★★ Watched by Alistair 27 Oct, 2014

Beautiful film which presents amazing and interesting relationships between the characters. The story of the women in this film is deeply emotionally engaging.

• NervousRex

★★★★ Rewatched by NervousRex 03 Dec, 2014

Revolving around an eccentric family of women from a wind-swept region south of Madrid, Raimunda (Penélope Cruz) is a working-class woman forced to go to great lengths to protect her 14-year-old daughter Paula (Yohana Cobo). To top off the family crisis, Raimunda's mother Irene (Carmen Maura) comes back from the dead to tie up loose ends.

• TajLV

★★★½ Watched by TajLV 24 Nov, 2014

Film #26 in my A~Z Foreign Film Challenge

This may be a film written and directed by the renowned Spanish filmmaker Pedro Almodóvar, but it's Penélope Cruz who owns it. Her performance as struggling Madrid mom Raimunda got her Best Actress nominations at the Oscars, the Golden Globes and BAFTA, and she won the category at Cannes as part of the film's stellar female ensemble cast.

Raimunda travels to wind-swept La Mancha, her childhood home, to clean the grave of…

• SJHoneywell

★★★½ Added by SJHoneywell

Better on paper
    Than on the screen, except for
    Penelope Cruz. (Swoon!)

• Eduardo Gomes

★★★★ Added by Eduardo Gomes

Almodóvar é um diretor bastante personalista, acrescentando muito de sua vida, seus anseios e conflitos em seus filmes, "Volver" não é exceção, sendo um dos projetos mais humanos do diretor. Traduzindo o título do filme, Volver significa voltar/regressar, o que corresponde a experiência passada nas quase 2 horas do longa.
    A "volta" que o diretor propõe é o enfrentamento do próprio passado, representado aqui pela personagem da mãe. É olhando para trás, confrontando e descobrindo a si mesmo que suas…

• Txe_Lop

★★★★★ Added by Txe_Lop

La Mancha, la superstición, la muerte, la naturalidad. Pedro Almodóvar en una de sus mejores películas con un reparto femenino increíble en el que Penélope Cruz se come la pantalla con esos ojos vulnerables que se llenan y vacían de lágrimas de forma magnífica. Carmen Maura, Lola Dueñas, Blanca Portillo, Chus Lampreave, poco más que decir. Imprescindible.

• Fredrik Fyhr

★★★★ Rewatched by Fredrik Fyhr 30 Oct, 2014

Auteurathon: Almodóvar 16/19

VOLVER is a sublime piece of filmmaking that truly does communicate universal and deeply personal themes and ideas in an almost invisible manner. There's a fascinating directness to the film, and an inexplicable beauty.

Therefore I suspect I will enjoy it even more the older I get and the more I return to it. (no pun intended).

In VOLVER, following the string of great and/or highly ambitious films that preceeds it, you're almost spoiled with Pedro Almodóvar's…

• Tyler Ellis

★★★★½ Rewatched by Tyler Ellis 10 Aug, 2014

Las fantasmas no lloran indeed!

• Marília Almeida

★★½ Watched by Marília Almeida 19 Jul, 2014

Almodovar confuses all the time what's the real drama here. It ends as a dramatic story about a family of women, with some surprises