• Claudio Alvarez Rodriguez

★★★½ Watched by Claudio Alvarez Rodriguez 19 Oct, 2016

Carmen Maura <3

• Karla

★★★★½ Rewatched by Karla 16 Oct, 2016

"Es muy doloroso que una hija no quiera a su madre"

• elviraa

★★★½ Watched by elviraa 09 Oct, 2016

Almodovar estupendo, al igual que todo el cast. Como siempre, un guión fantástico que le da mucha carisma a esta película, y la cual sin él, no sería igual.

• oldeststreamer

★★★½ Added by oldeststreamer

As ever with Almodovar, it's highly complex but less outrageous than some of his others

Penelope Cruz is wonderful in the lead

• Jugu Abraham

★★★½ Added by Jugu Abraham

After a second viewing over a 10 year gap, I am convinced this is an average quality film. Almodovar has never made me sit up as a film director, but Penelope Cruz and all the female cast are indeed a delight to watch and deserved the Cannes accolade. The prize for the best screenplay is possibly not justifiable.

Madness and incest might appeal to Almodovar, not to sane and morally upright folks. In this film even murder seems OK under…

• ArizonaJim

★★★★½ Added by ArizonaJim

My favourite Pedro Almadovar films are the series of six films from The Flower of My Secret up to Volver. (I’m not saying this is a final evaluation: there are important earlier Almodovar films that I have not seen and although he presently seems to be in a creative impasse, I hope he breaks through and moves into new territory in the future.) Volver is both typical and one of the strongest. If you reduce it to a story it…

• Michalis

★★★★ Watched by Michalis 03 Oct, 2016

I watched this movie at NFT3 as part of BFI's Almodovar Season

One of the best Almodovar movies - typically focusing on strong female characters - with a plot involving murder, comedy and coming back from the dead

Its basically about conspiracies and compromising in every day (love) life.

A highly entertaining melodrama/tragicomedy full of warm humour

• Leo Marchezini

★★★★★ Watched by Leo Marchezini 24 Sep, 2016

• Alan Jones

★★★½ Watched by Alan Jones 23 Sep, 2016

Bright, strange, enjoyable and always watchable with Penelope Cruz on screen so much. A bizarre slice of life which seems so outrageous is presented without judgement of forced humour.

• Chris

★★★ Watched by Chris 26 Nov, 2013

I just don’t see what all the fuss is about. Hardly any story, but strong performance from Penélope Cruz. As Doccortex said in his review, the film does "avoid classification in any of the tired old genre slots"

• Kevin Mears

★★★★ Watched by Kevin Mears 21 Sep, 2016

Intriguing story put together with great acting. And a red Cortina estate.

• Hugo Castillo

★★★★½ Watched by Hugo Castillo 16 Sep, 2016

Watched with unappreciative friends, but still was able to greatly appreciate it. Penelope Cruz is absolutely fantastic in this. And Almodóvar forever remains the best male director to portray women's stories without pandering (too much) to the male gaze (for the most part.)