• Tyler Ellis

★★★★½ Rewatched by Tyler Ellis 10 Aug, 2014

Las fantasmas no lloran indeed!

• Marília Almeida

★★½ Watched by Marília Almeida 19 Jul, 2014

Almodovar confuses all the time what's the real drama here. It ends as a dramatic story about a family of women, with some surprises

• Marshall Granger

★★★★½ Rewatched by Marshall Granger 28 Sep, 2014

I remember seeing this film in theaters, I was barely in high school. Seeing it now, especially after having experienced more of Almodovar and especially a lot of Hitchcock's work, this film hit me totally differently.

• Carlos Rodríguez

★★★★½ Watched by Carlos Rodríguez 07 Sep, 2013

Pedro Almodóvar’s Volver is a winning combination of some humorous absurdity with pathos. Due to a compelling set of wonderful characters (all of them female) masterfully played by a top-notch cast, sharp writing and a flawless directorial effort, this was a delightful and humane film that found with ease a way to grow honest feelings within all its weirdness.

Penélope Cruz was fantastic in her Oscar-nominated performance as Raimunda, while Carmen Maura, who played her mother, Irene, was great also.…

View

• Ysidro Eduardo García R.

★★★★½ Watched by Ysidro Eduardo García R. 19 Sep, 2014

Debo confesar que en el cuarto intento, por fin he terminado de ver Volver. Vengo de dos primeras desilusiones con el ritmo y la búsqueda infructuosa de la verdadera trama (si, en los primeros treinta minutos, y me disculpo; era un cinéfilo pobremente iniciado) donde no se hallaba sentido entre este mosaico femenino de sufrimiento y sacrificio airoso. En la tercera, admito que me dormí: eran las dos de la mañana de esos días desagraciados de insomnios insignificantes. Pero, también…

• kalimero

★★★ Watched by kalimero 16 Sep, 2014

No soy nada de Almodovar y por eso no la vi en su momento pero lo cierto es que está bastante bien: el humor negro, las actrices, el apartado visual... eso si, la historia es predecible como ella sola y está fatalmente terminada.

Pd: los cantaros de la Pe, irgensanta!

• trolleyfreak

★★★★★ Watched by trolleyfreak 14 Feb, 2014

Almodóvar presented Cruz with one of the finest roles of her career in this masterpiece, an ensemble tragicomic melodrama-cum-ghost story with Pedro's strong cast of female characters each getting their opportunity to shine.

The tone is melancholic throughout but the colour scheme is inevitably rich as the Spanish maestro casts his spell over us yet again.

The reward for his endeavours? Acclaim and awards all over the world..

• ndoane

★★★★ Watched by ndoane 31 Aug, 2014

Three Almodovar movies and three successes for me. It was a delightful plot and lots of strong female roles.

This is the best I've seen Cruz. Although that has to be qualified with this being the first time I've seen her in in a spanish language film.

• Chris Campbell

Watched by Chris Campbell 18 Oct, 2006

During the recent Atlantic Film Festival I was able to see Pedro Almodovar’s Volver and I was very glad that I did. The theatre was packed to capacity and it was a lot of fun. With solid performances all around and confident, playful direction, it’s about women, family and struggle. It’s more about the characters than a tightly constructed plot and when I realized that it was very fun as I watch Penelope Cruz struggle to survive with the women…

• Barbara Henry

★★★★★ Added by Barbara Henry

Estrogenic, funny, humane, and compassionate -- to say nothing of visually fantastic! It was a great treat to see Penelope Cruz in her own element. How Pedro Almodovar must love women! How delightful to watch a movie in which the men are exotic and strange and the women competent and communal. Add to that some elements of magical realism, and you've got an extra good time at the movies!

• rjvegas

★★★★★ Rewatched by rjvegas 14 Feb, 2014

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

• Lucas Barwenczik

★★★½ Watched by Lucas Barwenczik 27 Aug, 2014

Almodovar verwandelt das ländliche Spanien in eine Zwischenwelt, in der Tote lebendig und Lebendige tot werden. Gewalt gegenüber Frauen scheint sich wie ein Fluch durch Generationen zu ziehen, diese bilden als Reaktion liebevollen Kabalen. Gegen Ende häufen sich die Wendungen ein bisschen zu sehr, weniger wäre mehr gewesen. Tonal manchmal etwas wirr, dafür sind all die tollen Darstellerinnen wirklich hervoragend.