• Sal

★★★★★ Watched by Sal 28 Apr, 2016 2

Film #3 of the May Scavenger Hunt
    Task #19 Any film made by a director who has their latest in competition at Cannes this year

Volver is about a the remaining 3 female members of a family as they cope with death, abuse, and loneliness. The now matriarch of the family, Raimunda, a young struggling working mother, her sister Soledad, who's husband has left he, who now works as an illegal hair dressers, and Raimunda's young daughter Paula. Their lives…

• Paul Fleming

★★★★ Added by Paul Fleming

a wonderfully melancholic film that muses on life and death and the tenuous line that separates the two. Penelope Cruz puts in a wonderfully nuanced performance aided by the fact she is delivering dialogue in her native tongue. fantastically dark sense of humor and touching in places. (ooh-er) Another solid entry into Mr Almodovars filmography.

• sadbakarti

★★★★ Added by sadbakarti

"Cada vez que me fumo un porro me acuerdo de ella". Agustina is such a lovely person.
    El cine de Almodóvar es una orgía sensorial.
    Los personajes secundarios, as usual in a Almodóvar movie, me llenan de vida.
    Penélope Cruz y Yohana Cobo son bellísimas.
    La escena donde Raimunda canta mientras su madre llora... That's powerful.
    "Bueno, y si no es para hacer un pan con pan, entonces ¿qué es lo que me estás pidiendo?"
    "Agustina, yo entiendo que entre…

• Jeff Broitman

★★★½ Watched by Jeff Broitman 05 Apr, 2016

Pedro Almodovar's Volver is a lush, gorgeous film that celebrates the strength, intelligence, and resilience of women in the face of some brutal realities--microcosmed in the film's opening shot, in which a group of women clean and maintain the graves of the various men in their lives.
    The film's strength and charm comes from Penelope Cruz's charismatic performance, by far better than anything she's done where she's speaking English--acting in one's native tongue will always feel stronger, more confident, and…

• Damian Costanza

★★★★ Watched by Damian Costanza 16 Apr, 2016

Me encanta esta difuminación de las lineas que separan vida y muerte, drama y humor, pasado y presente, y cómo ante la misma situación la acción y sus consecuencias son completamente distintas.

Por no hablar de cómo transmiten las 5 actrices principales.

• EvanstonDad

★★★ Added by EvanstonDad

With "Volver," Pedro Almodovar gives us a sweet and warm film about the ways in which women can be care givers for one another, and the responsibilities that go along with that. He also examines the impact that the actions of parents have on their children, while at the same time cautioning children about making hasty assumptions about those actions. As is typical in an Almodovar film, there's a lot to chew on, but unlike some of his most recent…

• Sergi Andreu

★★★★ Rewatched by Sergi Andreu 08 Apr, 2016

Patriotismo crudo (del menos irrisorio), realismo hiperbólico (del 'diver') y cine español del bueno (del escondido): si compras alguna de las tres, te gustará.
    Si compras las tres, como es mi caso, pues
    TE QUIERO, ALMODÓVAR.

• Shinmei90

★★★½ Watched by Shinmei90 08 Apr, 2016

*_______*

• PezEspada

Rewatched by PezEspada 09 Apr, 2016

Una especie de realismo mágico del secano. El gran éxito, más allá de España incluso, que ha tenido me demuestra equivocado pero me cuesta creer que pueda entenderse del todo sin haber conocido esos ambientes rurales de Día de Todos los Santos con sus leyendas y sus mitos.

La culminación y el último de los grandes melodramas de Almodóvar (que diría que después de esta se va a explorar territorios que todavía es muy pronto para delimitar, tendría que volver…

• minnajee

★★★½ Watched by minnajee 04 Feb, 2010

(This rating kept bugging me so I had to make it 3,5 stars.) For an Almodovar movie, very good. Exceeded my expectations. And Penelope looks good. That old lady (Aunt Paula) also just had to be in cast again... She's in about every Almodovar I've seen.

• Brennan Klein

★★★½ Watched by Brennan Klein 03 Apr, 2016

A fun, light film about pitch black topics. I'm excited to see more Almodovar.

• Johnny Tryhard

★★★½ Rewatched by Johnny Tryhard 03 Apr, 2016

There's a shot in Volver which is somewhat snide and out of place in the movie-
    An overhead take of Cruz washing her kitchen knife which provides a liberal view of her cleavage.
    Arguably, the symbolism is consummated by what follows that night in bed and the next day with the knife. However, this isn't the only instance where Cruz's bust is delineated; the other times less gloriously so through dialogue.
    Needless to say, this piqued my interest and I…