• Luke Compton

★★★½ Watched by Luke Compton 05 Oct, 2015

I was really enjoying this movie, right up until the mother showed up, and then it was just downhill from there.

I really like Pedro Almodóvar. He has a very unique style, and his films are very original. I've hardly seen anything like his filmography. I look forward to seeing as many of his films as I can.

The writing in Almodóvar's films is great. It's authentic, and very empathetic to female personalities. It's funny how well he can manage…

• Casey Hill

★★★★½ Watched by Casey Hill 01 Oct, 2015

A lovely little film about several generations of women and their responses to death, abuse, betrayal, and renewal. Penelope, performing in her native language, is incredible.

• Steve Moyle

★★★★ Added by Steve Moyle

Almodóvar's Film is very good, Sisters Raimunda and Sole had lost there mother in a fire 3 years prior to when this film took place. I wont give it away but something happens involving Raimunda's daughter Paula which changes things. At the same time rumors happen that suggest the deceased mother has been seen alive. This film takes domestic subjects and put's a very inventive spin on them, it's about womanhood and the importance of family even if there are some very dark undertones towards that. The performance's are fantastic and I felt that it worked very well, in the end I was pretty damn impressed.

• Ryan Fischer

★★★ Watched by Ryan Fischer 13 Sep, 2015

I'd like to note that the word "realism" is contained in the phrase "magical realism." Though it has a strong core, there are so many unnecessary absurdities in this film. Ridiculous subplots, like the illicit restaurant, end up being pointless distractions. The absurdities here need a stronger anchor; the worst problem is that the crowded nature of the proceedings don't allow time to fully convey the emotional weight of the films' many (too many?) tragedies (or its miracles, for that matter).

• Luis Zuleta

★★★★ Watched by Luis Zuleta 31 Aug, 2015

Maldita belleza, Pedro Almodovar es la gloria.

• Shervin Ghiami

★★★★ Watched by Shervin Ghiami 29 Aug, 2015 1

Like all of Almodovar's works, Volver has a weird, casual atmosphere despite the horrific themes of the film. Unlike some of his better works, it lacks any sort of cosmic emotional screw to really make it profound and spiritually significant.

But Volver is an excellent work. Technically flawless, it is an extremely consistent, engaging film which hardly lacks style or substance. An accomplished work.

P.S. Penelope Cruz's cleavage

• Chris

★★★★½ Rewatched by Chris 22 Aug, 2015

Quite simply, Volver is the greatest of Almodovar's movies. As he has tried to carve out before, with partial success, he manages to construct the epic melodrama, something which stands with Fassbinder and Sirk at their very greatest moments. It has comedy, some of his funniest, but it has the dark moments, the realism with dashes of surrealism.

In more than one way the movie feels like the two eras of his career crashing into one whole, with the enfant…

• Jeff

★★★★ Watched by Jeff 19 Aug, 2015

An interesting movie. This what enjoyable Penelope Cruz is very good in this. And the writing is superb. The thing I think I like the most is there are some nice director touches throughout the movie but they aren't so heavy handed that it distracts from the movie itself. Overall good movie with an interesting story and a some very good performances what more can you really ask for 7/10.

• Brian Stack

★★★★ Watched by Brian Stack 07 Apr, 2014

Three years after Soledad's parents died in a fire, she discovers the ghost of her mother Irene while visiting her aunt Paula. When Soledad returns home, Irene's ghost moves in with her.

Meanwhile, Soledad's sister Raimunda (Penelope Cruz) comes home to find her daughter Paula has killed her father during an attempted rape. Raiumunda calmly hides the corpse in the freezer and devises a plan to dispose of it.

Eventually, Raimunda encounters Irene's ghost and several long-buried secrets are exposed.…

• Jason

★★★½ Watched by Jason 16 Aug, 2015

This is yet another enjoyable woman driven multi-generational melodrama by Pedro Almodovar. The entire cast is excellent, and from memory there is only two male characters of note. It's much less camp than the other films of his that I have seen but it's still very much in his style.

• Michiel Venmans

★★★½ Watched by Michiel Venmans 13 Aug, 2015

Vandaag speelde ik mee in een muziekvideo van een vriend die zijn toelatingsproef opnam voor het Rits. Zijn thema was 'van hier naar daar' en het verhaal ging erover dat een man (Michiel) samenleefde met een pop (geshminkt) en hier geobsedeerd door was. Plots verdwijnt de pop en wordt de man, zeg maar, krankzinnig. Omdat deze vriend mij vaak uit de nood heeft geholpen, ik vandaag niets te doen had en het mij een interessante oefening leek om een krankzinnige…

• María A

★★★★ Watched by María A 12 Aug, 2015

Ay, mi primera película de Almodovar, la emoción. (Si, tengo muchas cuentas pendientes con el cine en general)
    Pues me ha gustado mucho. Y que queréis que os diga, la Pe y Lola Dueñas están las dos fantásticas.