• thefilmsiveseen

★★★★★ Added by thefilmsiveseen

Volver marks my third visit to the films of Almodóvar, a Spanish auteur who is a fresh blend of Fellini and fellow Spaniard Luis Buñuel. This is by far my favorite. Like Fellini's Amarcord, Volver appears to be a tribute to the women in Almodóvar's life. Here, he creates three generations of strong females who gracefully construct a wonderful plot that could also spark some memories of Bergman's film Fanny & Alexander, minus the grief. A mother and her sister lost…

• Diego Borin

★½ Rewatched by Diego Borin 26 Jan, 2015

I shouldn't have saved this rewatch for right after Mean Streets, as Almodóvar's mise en scène and composition in here can't help but seem hopelessly mediocre in contrast to Scorsese's supreme command of the screen. Having this palpable of a counterpoint in my mind certainly affected this watch in particular.

A movie constantly fighting with itself, Volver is part the kind of melodrama in which the comedic moments seem completely out of place and part Pushing Daisies-esque tragicomedy in bright…

• Lucciano Vezina

★★★★ Watched by Lucciano Vezina 25 Jan, 2015

Volver may not be as strong as All About My Mother/Talk To Her, but it adds a nice dark comedy twist within the story and Penelope Cruz is beyond terrific as the lead role with many layers to her character.

• William Kretschmer

★★★½ Watched by William Kretschmer 26 Jun, 2009

After her death, a mother returns to her home town in order to fix the situations she couldn't resolve during her life.
    A sometimes humorous, sometimes quite dark exploration of women's lives in Spain. The female ensemble is excellent, and Almodóvar manages to tell a complex tale in a very light tone without losing any depth.

• Wilson

★★★ Rewatched by Wilson 16 Jan, 2015 2

Pedro Almodovar is a great director, of that there is no doubt, however I do not think Volver is one of his great films. It may be his most well known film, at least internationally, and to a great extent it seems to me to distill a number of his prominent thematic conerns. Unfortunately, being so holistic the film ends up feeling a little inert and certainly overlong. There is a whole subplot to do with the restaurant which could…

• Ana

★★★★★ Rewatched by Ana 13 Jan, 2015

i love how every almodóvar movie kinda turns into a thriller

• Juan Espinoza

★★★★ Rewatched by Juan Espinoza 11 Jan, 2015

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

• Panta Oz

★★★★ Added by Panta Oz

I have no words after watching this Spanish thriller written and directed by Pedro Almodóvar. Mostly because I just witnessed the most impressive performance of Penélope Cruz ever! When she managed to outshine stars like Carmen Maura, Lola Dueñas, Blanca Portillo, Yohana Cobo, and Chus Lampreave - means something! This amazingly made work of art stayed bright, fresh and clean for a film dealing with murder, adultery, incest, cancer and the even supernatural apparition!

From the opening I knew that…

• Daphne

★★★★ Watched by Daphne 04 Jan, 2015

Awesome! Pretty heavy story, Cruz is bae, and great powerful female characters :3

• Freddie

★★★★½ Watched by Freddie 28 Dec, 2014

The emotions this film expresses are either extremely complicated and subtle or superficial; I hope it's the former

• petrovafire

★★★★ Added by petrovafire

so great. i fell in love with mrs cruz.

• Martín Torres

★★★★★ Added by Martín Torres

For me, is the best Almodovar movie, all about the script.