• syxxpac

★★★ Added by syxxpac

One of the most original films I've ever seen as much as it is just a self-indulgent one, and not much of a coherent story at that. Linklater's use of twitchy, warped animation to disorient the viewer in distinguishing reality and the dreamworld from the perspective of the lead character is a cool choice and one that lends the film a visually exciting aesthetic, a stylistic preview of sorts for his A Scanner Darkly a few years later. I mentioned…

• JohnAllegretti

Added by JohnAllegretti

Killingly Library - DVD

• Dreception

★★ Rewatched by Dreception 20 Apr, 2015 1

I remembered this movie to be a lot better than it actually is. Man, this movie really grated on my nerves this time around.

The first time I watched it was years and years ago, and i was pretty impressionable, so all the philosophical talk and big words really impressed me. But now that it is years later, and i actually understand and can follow what the dialogue means, this movie just comes off as super pretentious.. Like holy Christmas,…

• Cavin Hawkins

★★ Watched by Cavin Hawkins 20 Apr, 2015 4

The animation is unique, and as a whole it's KIND OF interesting, but most of the philosophical quandaries just felt pretentious. I definitely think it was too long; I started losing interest and getting bored about halfway through. The scene with the redhead girl about the ants was my favorite segment.

• Justin

★★★★★ Watched by Justin 18 Apr, 2015

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

Answering questions from www.philfilms.utm.edu/1/waking.htm
    Will answer more as time goes on.

9: Does determinism necessarily undermine human dignity as Sosa suggests?
    I argue that determinism does undermine human dignity. Mankind, more times than not, has believed itself to be special in comparison with all things existing. Mankind has believed itself to be special by believing in illogical assumptions such as ‘life after death’, ‘free will’, and believing they belong to a ‘spiritual realm’. In reality, all life, including humans, are…

• rlb4931

★★★½ Watched by rlb4931 03 Apr, 2015

I admit that I couldn't follow every conversation, but what i did follow, and the general premise was really cool. Lucid dreaming is something I've always been interested in and this sparked me to try (unsuccessfully). The animation was really trippy and cool too. So yeah, good film.

• Tristiac

★★ Rewatched by Tristiac 18 Apr, 2015

It's nice seeing Jesse and Celene in their brief appearence, but otherwise this is a rambling philosophy lecture that is only fitfully interesting, and the rotoscoping is used to greater and better thematic effect in A Scanner Darkly.

• msmere

Added by msmere

I think this may be my favorite Richard Linklater movie.

• Glen Grunau

★★★★ Watched by Glen Grunau 13 Apr, 2015

Richard Linklater is probably the most intelligent movie writer I know, with a rare ability to base an entire movie on dialogue and pull it off.

In this pilgrimage through the eyes of a dreamer, we are introduced to a fascinating array of philosophers and mystics, offering a feast of existential thought and ideas. Some were just too deep for me to grasp, but I could never shake the sense that I was in the presence of genius. An unusual and unforgettable journey.

Fun to see some of Richard's favourite actors and actresses make cameo appearances in animated reality.

• Cole Schneider

★★★★½ Watched by Cole Schneider 14 Apr, 2015

Hilarious and inventive, the film captures the rhythms and logic of a dream better than anything else.

• Liam Horsman

★★★★ Watched by Liam Horsman 28 Mar, 2015

This is one of those movies that I really wish I could have seen back when it was first released. I can't imagine the experience of walking into a theater and seeing a fully rotoscoped feature film for the first time.

Waking Life would be an engaging piece of cinema had it been shot normally, but the fluid, ever-rippling animation lines add an engaging impermanence, as if the film's world(s) could come apart at any moment. The whole experience is…

• Carl Garcia

★★★½ Added by Carl Garcia

Pop philosophy cud-chewing is all well and good, just not really my bag. Plus this is like 14 years old now, so I've heard a lot of the concepts get repeated (or maybe I picked them up through the dream network OoooooOOOOooooOOOOOooo). I'm fine with all this pondering, but there's an awful lot of faith in the idea that your brain ISN'T lying to you. I once woke up all pissed off knowing I had experienced this amazing plot twist…