• Darcy C

★★★★ Watched by Darcy C 27 Jan, 2015

There’s a scene in Waking Life where Julie Delpy is lying in bed next to Ethan Hawke and tells him how she often has the perspective of an old woman who is about to die. She said, “I heard that Tim Leary said as he was dying that he was looking forward to the moment when his body was dead but his brain was still alive. You know they say that there’s still six to twelve minutes of brain activity…

• NLK

★★★★★ Rewatched by NLK 16 Nov, 2015

The Holy Moment is right

• Paul Reese

★★★★½ Added by Paul Reese

What exactly do dreams mean? Do they mean anything? What constructs them and what makes them become an almost reality in peaking the human’s system of emotion? Such questions and others involving the world of the sleep-induced lives we endure are brought to light by Richard Linklater’s dazzlingly offbeat animation in "Waking Life". Answers may not always be found, and there may still be things about the science of dream logic we have yet to decipher - but one thing Linklater knows for sure is that our dreams are a part of us - and very much alive.

• Ashley Lane

★½ Watched by Ashley Lane 16 Nov, 2015

Well, here we go yet again with another film that people rave about. It’s Richard Linklater! It’s got glowing reviews! It’s explicitly philosophical! I should love it!

Actually, I spent most of the film fighting my urge to assume the brace position.

I’m going to start with the animation, because it’s the first thing you see; it’s horrible. Nothing ever stays still. Everything moves around – even parts of buildings wobble like they’re held together by rubber bands in an…

• Austin Armstrong

★★★★★ Added by Austin Armstrong 2

Contemplate everything. What is consciousness? Are our whole lives just dreams? Are we already dead and simply reliving our lives? As Socrates said, "The only true wisdom is knowing you know nothing."

• Cameron M. Gambas Johnson

★★★★½ Watched by Cameron M. Gambas Johnson 15 Nov, 2015

Preconceptions: I've been meaning to watch this for a while, and I've been meaning to watch this for a week. Meaning, it's been on my radar for a while, for multiple reasons: it's by Richard Linklater, one of the most creative directors of our generation, it's got a unique visual style (it was filmed in live action with the animation drawn over - or rotoscoped - afterwards), and it was included in Roger Ebert's "Great Movies". Never a bad sign.…

• Diego Crespo

★★★★★ Rewatched by Diego Crespo 13 Nov, 2015

I convinced my uber driver to watch this so I call tonight a success. Probably the most existential movie I've ever seen holy shit there's a Picasso inspired sequence intersecting with the idea of choices and abstract desires - FUCK my brain.

• Roland Polczer

★★★★½ Watched by Roland Polczer 15 Oct, 2015

I fcking love this movie

• Froi Nunez

★★★★ Added by Froi Nunez 1

If you want to dive into deep thoughts about life and experience a different type of film. Watch this one. A surreal experience that makes one think.

• Chris Naber

Watched by Chris Naber 03 Nov, 2015

The DVD kept skipping and I was really tired so I stopped about 45 minutes in. Definitely interesting though, I probably would really like it.

• EnteredTheVoid

★★★★½ Watched by EnteredTheVoid 03 Nov, 2015

I'm not one to advocate drugs but see this stoned! Now!

• Fesapo