• Connor Adkins

★★★★ Watched by Connor Adkins 20 May, 2015

86/100

• Treefingrs

★★★★★ Added by Treefingrs

A beautiful film. Visually stunning and thought provoking.

Just a warning, there's pretty much no plot, just a bunch of philosophical conversations.

• ageneral

★★½ Watched by ageneral 05 May, 2015

Honestly, I would not even come near something like this if it weren't for school.
    Though it was interesting visually (as well as nauseating), any form of philosophy needs to stay away from me as it always leaves me with the dangerous feeling of hopelessness.

• Jason Ooi

★★★★½ Watched by Jason Ooi 06 May, 2015

Check out this review and others on my personal website!

Waking Life is less of a film than it is an experience. It is a tasteful barrage of insight. It is the kind of movie that makes you aware of the paradox of life- that puts existence into a tailspin of self-aware derivative confusion. By the time the credits roll, reality will seem just as foreign, just as weird as the film's unique rotoscope visuals. I started this film exhausted,…

• barcalounger

★★★★½ Rewatched by barcalounger 03 May, 2015

Animated Philosophy 101

I feel like all of Richard Linklater's career is just trying to find clever excuses to walk around filming his smart friends pontificate on life.

"Okay, in this one you guys meet on a train, fall for each other, and hang around Prague having good conversations."

"Okay, in this one you are a bunch of high schoolers rebelling against your coach, having stoner conversations, and paddling freshman."

"Okay, in this one you are a boy figuring out…

• Zarja99

★★★★ Watched by Zarja99 02 May, 2015

Will definitely need to watch this a couple more times to get the most out of it, but this is without a doubt a very special film with so much thought-provoking material.

• Ulf Kjell Gür

★★★½ Added by Ulf Kjell Gür

- Somebody, please check if that guy cramps or if the movements are included in the dance.
    "When we dream alone is only a dream, but when many dream together it is the beginning of a new reality." (Friedensreich Hundertwasser)

"Lucidity is not synonymous with dream control. It is possible to be lucid and have little control over dream content, and conversely, to have a great deal of control without being explicitly aware that you are dreaming. However, becoming lucid…

• SunshineRose

★★★★★ Added by SunshineRose

Awesome! Anything that deals with dreaming is insightful.

• Zachary Marsh

★★★★★ Watched by Zachary Marsh 03 May, 2015

This, to me, is Richard Linklater's masterpiece. It's an exploration into the world of dreams and, despite being surreal, also shows how logical they can be to the unconscious mind. The animated style of the film also adds to the magic that this possesses. Not a movie for everyone, but definitely something that I want to go back and watch again. I feel like this should get a Criterion release or something, considering that this only has a single disc DVD out there that in itself is pretty rare.

• last_kokoro

★★★★★ Watched by last_kokoro 30 Apr, 2015

Una de las mejores películas que he visto en mi vida.

• Rachael

★★★★ Watched by Rachael 27 Apr, 2015

An extremely unique way of filming mixed with deep philosophical scenes creates this almost inspirational film. Lots to take away from this and it really makes you think.

• syxxpac

★★★ Added by syxxpac

One of the most original films I've ever seen as much as it is just a self-indulgent one, and not much of a coherent story at that. Linklater's use of twitchy, warped animation to disorient the viewer in distinguishing reality and the dreamworld from the perspective of the lead character is a cool choice and one that lends the film a visually exciting aesthetic, a stylistic preview of sorts for his A Scanner Darkly a few years later. I mentioned…