• Edvard Holmen Minge

★★★★ Watched by Edvard Holmen Minge 23 Mar, 2015

I can recall all those times I wished to have endless dreams the night before I had to go to school, as means to slow down time. Consequently, I can't recall wanting to get out of those dreams. But that may just be because I'm not much of a conscious dreamer.

At the point where the narrative got the upper hand, and I forgot about the animation and the philosophical monologues, the film style slowly transcended into "a dream". And…

• Paco Silva

★★★★★ Watched by Paco Silva 21 Mar, 2015

Esta película es tan buena que creo que la he soñado.

• Tim Lawrence

★★★★★ Watched by Tim Lawrence 19 Mar, 2015

An extremely dense and thoroughly fascinating series of philosophical vignettes, exploring the problem of our experience and perception of reality.

• CarrotJunkie

★★★★½ Watched by CarrotJunkie 19 Mar, 2015

People seem to love calling this movie "pretentious".

...Why? Is it the homegrown-looking rotoscoped animation? Is it the fact that the dialogue has a lot of big words? Is it the mere fact that it's about philosophy? I don't get it.

Personally, I found it to be pretty straightforward and down-to-earth. This is a film about dreams, about people and their experiences, and about philosophies. It highlights this in a fairly unique way: instead of shoving these dreams, philosophies and…

• fdash

★★★★ Added by fdash

Even though supposedly chock full of pretense and whatnot, the visual style and the engaging dialogues make it another good addition to Linklater's armory of slacker films.

• Stephen Rendon

★★★★★ Rewatched by Stephen Rendon 15 Mar, 2015

.This film is, for Me, one of the things that helps Me feel like My waking life is worth living.

• ab

★★★★★ Rewatched by ab 14 Mar, 2015

• Chris Krajci

★★★★ Watched by Chris Krajci 12 Mar, 2015

My 18 year old self would have love love loooved this film.

My 31 year old self only really liked it. The deep philosophical conversations are fun and eye rolling at times, but it was made all the more interesting by the rotoscoped animation style.

I really appreciate that Richard Linklater isn't afraid to push the boundaries of cinema from time to time, and this is a nicely executed unique experience.

• Orion

★★★★ Watched by Orion 07 Mar, 2015 7

>Be me
    >At Dimple Records
    >Planned on purchasing 'Aladdin 2: The Return of Jafar'
    >In line, see a gorgeous clerk
    >Looks like Cybill Sheperd
    >Long ass line
    >Finally the penultimate person at the front of the line
    >I take that back, she looks more like Ingrid Bergman
    >Hear her mention her favorite director - Richard Linklater
    >Get nervous
    >Spaghetti falls out of my pockets
    >I run out of line, nearly slipping on the spaghetti
    >Picked up 'Waking Life', trying to…

• Ben Wylie

★★ Rewatched by Ben Wylie 11 Mar, 2015

This was the first Richard Linklater film I watched, which was probably a bad move. To me, it felt like nothing more than pseudo-philosophical banter that had nothing to actually SAY beneath it, almost like a retelling of things people said when they were stoned and listening to Pink Floyd. While I do enjoy Linklater's other film Dazed & Confused, Waking Life left me fairly bored and unsatisfied overall.

• SaltyTheBeast

★★★★★ Rewatched by SaltyTheBeast 06 Mar, 2015

A man wanders through his dream and stumbles into countless philosophical conversations and intellectual digressions among the inhabitants of his dream world. That's the closest thing to a plot that Richard Linklater's "Waking Life" has to give us, but the true pleasure is in allowing the words and images to simply wash over you and experience the film in all of its dreamlike glory. First and foremost, I must address the unique visual presentation, in which live-action footage has been…

• sheeps