• Dara Khan

★★★★ Watched by Dara Khan 18 Aug, 2014

An unkind part of me imagines Christopher Nolan sitting down to watch this as research for Inception, then immediately getting bored and confused and turning it off.

Linklater's first experiment with rotoscoping is a success. It's got a swimming, hallucinogenic intensity that gives a surreal coating to these meditations on dreams, evolution, selfhood and reality. Wiley Wiggins stars with unassuming openness as the introspective young man going on this dream journey, which may or may not be the final moments…

• Andrew Robinson

★★★½ Watched by Andrew Robinson 15 Aug, 2014

I'm impressed... it's not entirely my cup of tea but definitely some interesting work. Probably the best interpretation of Linklater's debut film SLACKER. It brings together the consciousness of Slacker and makes it into a cohesive idea that makes a lot of sense.

• Kyle Rogers

★★★★ Added by Kyle Rogers

One of Richard Linklater's most experimental films, Waking Life follows a man stuck in numerous dream states who steps in on countless philosophical and humanist conversations from both actors and real life philosophers. Good luck describing the plot to anyone who asks, because really what Waking Life is about is life; and just like life itself, it is quite a lot to take in.

Definitely not for everyone, this is a bizarre and captivating film featuring some of the most…

• Ghasem Najjary

★★★½ Watched by Ghasem Najjary 11 Aug, 2014

Two hours of philosophical dialog by anonymous characters, in some way is fine. It's fine that you hear most important questions of this universe from completely strangers. Except Celine and Jesse and Mr Soderberg !

دو ساعت دیالوگ های فلسفی، در نوع خودش جالب است. پایه ای ترین سوالات هستی در این دو ساعت بر زبان بیگانه ترین انسان ها روایت می شود، و چرا که نه... البته به جز سلین و جسی و آقای سودربرگ بقیه بیگانه اند.

• ObeyTheToaster

★★★★ Watched by ObeyTheToaster 07 Aug, 2014

Animation is often labeled as a genre, which is horrifically wrong. In truth it is its own separate medium, distinct from film but often confused as a subset of it simply because the two are experienced in a similar fashion. Yet unlike film, animation is not restricted in what it can accomplish by the confines of reality. Even the most detail-oriented, obsessive perfectionist of a director cannot control every element in a live action film, while this kind of absolute…

• Darryl Hunt

★★★★★ Watched by Darryl Hunt 05 Aug, 2014

Richard Linklater, I think I'm ready to begin my courtship with you.

• SriK

★★ Watched by SriK 01 Aug, 2014

Really boring and basically impossible to watch fully, but everyone should skip around this at least once just for the trippy LSD-like artstyle. Could have made a great 10 minute short film on Vimeo.

• Andy

★★½ Watched by Andy 05 Aug, 2014 1

I don't want to be around any of these people.

• Jack Gaffney

½ Watched by Jack Gaffney 04 Aug, 2014 4

What do people see in this movie? I must be missing something. Is there something I didn't catch? Is there nostalgia? There are so many issues with "Waking Life", that I can't explain how bad this movie was. Lets start off with my main issues with art house movies. Well, if you are going to make an artsy movie, don't go overboard with it, much like "Under the Skin". "Waking Life" is like that. It tries this new animation style…

• David

★★½ Watched by David 03 Aug, 2014

Es una de las películas más extrañas y originales que recuerdo haber visto. Sí, pero también es irregular, se me hizo densa a rabiar y le cuesta una barbaridad arrancar. De medio metraje para alante sí consigue derspertarme y mantenerme cierto interés.
    Como curiosidad, cuando me puse a verla no sabía que Jesse y Céline tuviesen un cuarto [mini]episodio. No deja de ser eso, aclaro, una curiosidad, pues su incidencia en la peli es escasa y con respecto a la historia de los personajes no mantiene la lógica cronológica (atendiendo a la fecha de estreno, digo, puesestaría entre Sunrise y Sunset).

• Grant Berridge

★★★★ Watched by Grant Berridge 03 Aug, 2014

Similar in vibe to Slacker, and very obviously a prototype in look for A Scanner Darkly, this is a series of vignettes exploring some aspects of modern philosophy with a very witty visual style that involves painting over live action. The technique evokes a surrealism, and allows the artist to add little touches (like little cartoon fish floating around the room, or a person's head seeming to fill up with water as if he were a drinking vessel, or (even…

• James Healey

Watched by James Healey 02 Aug, 2014 2

The literal definition of 3deep5me. I don't even this qualifies for a rating, let alone even being a film.