• Jordan Benesh

★★★★ Watched by Jordan Benesh 01 Sep, 2014

I liked Richard Linklater's Waking Life a lot, though it's difficult for me to explain exactly why. For the past week, I've been trying to discover just what it is about this film that I enjoyed so much, and I think it really comes down to the atmosphere of it and the way that it hits at so many of the things that I have thought about over and over again -- what exactly are dreams; what personal or social…

• M Peth

★★★★½ Watched by M Peth 30 Aug, 2014

Unbelievably eye opening and interesting film about what it means to be human and alive. This is a movie I'll need to watch multiple times before I can fully digest all of the philosophies and scientific theories discussed.

• JOKain II

★★★½ Watched by JOKain II 29 Aug, 2014

Slacker's big brother. An existential journey that organizes and visualizes a lot of those questions you ask yourself about life, death, and dreams, but usually promptly ignore. Gives you a lot to chew on.

• Jack Dignan

★★★ Added by Jack Dignan

This, ladies and gentlemen, is the daily thoughts of Richard Linklater.

Waking Life is an intriguing and thought provoking animation that's, although a little disappointing, expertly crafted.

• Dara Khan

★★★★ Watched by Dara Khan 18 Aug, 2014

An unkind part of me imagines Christopher Nolan sitting down to watch this as research for Inception, then immediately getting bored and confused and turning it off.

Linklater's first experiment with rotoscoping is a success. It's got a swimming, hallucinogenic intensity that gives a surreal coating to these meditations on dreams, evolution, selfhood and reality. Wiley Wiggins stars with unassuming openness as the introspective young man going on this dream journey, which may or may not be the final moments…

• Andrew Robinson

★★★½ Watched by Andrew Robinson 15 Aug, 2014

I'm impressed... it's not entirely my cup of tea but definitely some interesting work. Probably the best interpretation of Linklater's debut film SLACKER. It brings together the consciousness of Slacker and makes it into a cohesive idea that makes a lot of sense.

• Kyle Rogers

★★★★ Added by Kyle Rogers

One of Richard Linklater's most experimental films, Waking Life follows a man stuck in numerous dream states who steps in on countless philosophical and humanist conversations from both actors and real life philosophers. Good luck describing the plot to anyone who asks, because really what Waking Life is about is life; and just like life itself, it is quite a lot to take in.

Definitely not for everyone, this is a bizarre and captivating film featuring some of the most…

• Ghasem Najjary

★★★½ Watched by Ghasem Najjary 11 Aug, 2014

Two hours of philosophical dialog by anonymous characters, in some way is fine. It's fine that you hear most important questions of this universe from completely strangers. Except Celine and Jesse and Mr Soderberg !

دو ساعت دیالوگ های فلسفی، در نوع خودش جالب است. پایه ای ترین سوالات هستی در این دو ساعت بر زبان بیگانه ترین انسان ها روایت می شود، و چرا که نه... البته به جز سلین و جسی و آقای سودربرگ بقیه بیگانه اند.

• ObeyTheToaster

★★★★ Watched by ObeyTheToaster 07 Aug, 2014

Animation is often labeled as a genre, which is horrifically wrong. In truth it is its own separate medium, distinct from film but often confused as a subset of it simply because the two are experienced in a similar fashion. Yet unlike film, animation is not restricted in what it can accomplish by the confines of reality. Even the most detail-oriented, obsessive perfectionist of a director cannot control every element in a live action film, while this kind of absolute…

• Darryl Hunt

★★★★★ Watched by Darryl Hunt 05 Aug, 2014

Richard Linklater, I think I'm ready to begin my courtship with you.

• SriK

★★ Watched by SriK 01 Aug, 2014

Really boring and basically impossible to watch fully, but everyone should skip around this at least once just for the trippy LSD-like artstyle. Could have made a great 10 minute short film on Vimeo.

• Andy

★★½ Watched by Andy 05 Aug, 2014 1

I don't want to be around any of these people.