• Corey Atad

★★★★★ Rewatched by Corey Atad 15 Apr, 2015

A damn masterpiece. It's a beautiful film in many ways, but not the least for its literal beauty. Spielberg and Kaminski do the most incredible things with foreground and background lighting and colour. It's at once highly tactile, while also being a step heightened above reality. By recalling the classic look of John Ford films like The Quiet Man, the film reaches at an impressionism unseen in any of Spielberg's other work, and as a lens through which to view a journey through war it works wonders.

• Daniblacksmoke
  • Karla Castel

★★★★ Added by Karla Castel

I loved it. I almost cried.

• Reece Leonard

★★★★ Added by Reece Leonard

Although not Spielberg's best film, "War Horse" is still a dramatically excellent adaptation of the successful theater production.

• RoboChop

★★½ Added by RoboChop

La mejor película de Sarah Jessica Parker. 2 Cañitas Bravas y medio de 5.

• Greg Tyrrell

★★★★★ Added by Greg Tyrrell

The level of hate on this film is unfathomable. War Horse is a heartbreaking, tragic and mesmerising war movie, beautifully shot, acted and directed, and one of Steven Spielberg's very best films.

• Susannah Northart

★★★ Added by Susannah Northart

A classic kind of story which reminded me of a John Ford movie. Sometimes hard to watch, but Steven Spielberg knows how to tell a story.

• Robert G

★★★★★ Rewatched by Robert G 05 Apr, 2014

This review from the UK dailymail perfectly sums up my feelings on this masterpiece of modern cinema.

"Like the Duchess of Cambridge at the premiere, I wept. You probably will, too.

Anyone in doubt whether this most theatrical of plays could make the transition to the more realistic medium of cinema can rest easy.

Steven Spielberg, with the help of screenwriters Lee Hall (Billy Elliot) and Richard Curtis (Love Actually), has fashioned Michael Morpurgo’s novel into a thoroughly moving picture.…

• Jeremy Clark

★★★★★ Added by Jeremy Clark

In a year bloated with superhero blockbusters, the best superhero movie of 2011 is War Horse. One cannot help but to root for this horse like one would root for any of the great heroes of the cinema. This magnificent animal embodies the virtues of strength, loyalty, persistence, courage, survival and sacrifice better than Thor, Captain America or Green Lantern. Scoff if you must, but that horse symbolizes lofty ideals. It appeals to a better nature in all of us.…

• Agnis

★★½ Watched by Agnis 30 Mar, 2015

Sentimental war movie that follows a horse around during WW1.

Feels like it's meant to pull at the heartstrings of people who are into horses, so it didn't do much for me. The interesting bit was probably the fact that the horse was ended up switching between both sides, but as far as I'm concerned that could have been achieved with any arbitrary object, say a gun or something.

Weird to think though that a hundred years ago horse cavalry was still a thing.

• T.C. Robson

★★★★★ Watched by T.C. Robson 25 Dec, 2014 1

You're a robot if you don't cry during this movie. The story puts Joey the horse at its center, not a human protagonist, but it feels as though you're watching a human. You feel the joy of his triumphs and the pain of his losses just as much as you feel it of the people that shape his life. Some characters are cold, but others develop a close bond with him, mirroring the one he has with first owner Albert. I could write a book on how beautiful this film is.

• Marcelo Morgade

★★½ Watched by Marcelo Morgade 04 Mar, 2015

Um ganso perseguindo pessoas ao som de uma música engraçadinha me fez pensar se estava assistindo um drama de guerra ou o Zorra Total. É quase como um road movie, com varios personagens entrando e saindo da trama mas q não acrescentam nada no arco do protagonista (talvez pelo fato dele ser um cavalo!!). A passagem do tempo também é muito mal narrada e do nada se adianta para as últimas batalhas no Somme no fim da guerra. Só vale pela bela reprodução das batalhas em trincheiras da Grande Guerra.