• Jeremy Koh

★★★★ Watched by Jeremy Koh 30 Aug, 2015

Old-fashioned but in the best possible way. The story is nothing innovative, it's Black Beauty goes to war basically. And Spielberg's penchant for over-sentimentality is on full display here. But so is Spielberg's ability to craft a story in a effortless and sometimes breathtaking way. It works more than it doesn't.

• Conan Tan

★★★ Watched by Conan Tan 22 Jul, 2015

This is literally the story of the horse and how it affected the war effort. Who knew Spielberg could make us empathize with a horse?

• movieboyer long

★★★★½ Added by movieboyer long

It just creates a perfect and wonderfull atmosphere of this time setting with a perfect scenery,acting,and everithing else

• Lars Sieval

★★★ Watched by Lars Sieval 24 Aug, 2015

The horse trainers for this movie were incredible am I right? Damn that's impressive!

Onto the movie itself, I must agree with most of the people here that this must be the most Spielberg movie Steven Spielberg made. It's all very Spielbergy with the perfect example being the last shot. But hey, it looks incredible.

It was kinda hard for me to get into the movie especially when Tom Hiddleston and Benedict Cumberbatch's parts were over that quick, but I…

• Matt Wooldridge

★★★ Watched by Matt Wooldridge 22 Aug, 2015

This attempt at a sweeping epic following the horse feels very by the numbers and uninspired, despite a couple of memorable scenes. With the violence toned down, it seems like Spielberg was aiming for a family war film here, and in that sense succeeds. He's got a great cast and big budget at his disposal, but there's nothing here that hasn't been done before, and strangely, the horse itself seems to have very little character or presence.

• Matthew E. Ryan

★★½ Watched by Matthew E. Ryan 11 Aug, 2015

This movie is almost remarkably not very good

• Mickey Chiechi

★★½ Rewatched by Mickey Chiechi 10 Aug, 2015

CHRONOLOGICAL SPIELBERG-A-THON FILM #27:

I don't really have too much to say about this one. I like it fairly well, but if I were to rank all of Spielberg's movies this would definitely be toward the back.

The cast is good for the most part, but just by nature of the story no one is given much to do.

The bit with the horse running through the battlefield is really, really great stuff though.

• DSfilms

★★★★½ Added by DSfilms 1

Great film.An epic film with a nice beautiful and emotive story.
    About a survivor horse in the World War I,and all his owners.
    It coulded be boring,but is really entertained,meaby too long.
    Another masterpiece from Steven Spielberg

• Matt Brown

★★★★½ Rewatched by Matt Brown 01 Aug, 2015

Finally, some fucking cinema

• Willem Hattingh

★★ Added by Willem Hattingh

I really can't remember much of anything about this film at all. Could have done with an anaesthetist to accompany me during the cinema screening I went to with my family for it, though I don't think the experience I had with the film would've been any different anyway.

• alexbhades

★★★ Watched by alexbhades 23 Jun, 2012

Factura impecable, fotografia de libro. Spielberg haciendo lo que le apetece, por eso es un maestro.
    Pero:
    Es un cuento heroico para emocionarnos, para que lloremos, aplaudamos y ya.
    Toda la sangre que sale en la película, que no deja de ser bélica, es del caballo, y no digo que este mal, solo que yo disfruto mucho más con otro cine.
    Le pese a quien le pese para algo así me quedo con Seabiscuit.

• RJSit10

★★★ Added by RJSit10

In the land of weak Spielbergian fathers, and hand-wringing Spielbergian mothers, some beautiful photography occurs, while John Williams plays to the second balcony.

This is the kind of film that used to be a sure-thing for Oscar bait. It really is lovely CINEMA, but borrowed rather unapologeticly from other films, some of them Spielberg's own.

Horses film beautifully even when dirty, and No Man's Land has never looked more futile. I think we may be saturating ourselves on WWI already,…