• briarrose

Watched by briarrose 23 May, 2015

I'm sure there's an excellent film to be made about horses and war. This is not that film. Dripping in schmaltz, this clunker has dialogue so cheesy I'd think it was a parody, was it not for the painful earnestness with which it's all delivered. One emotionally-manipulative scene after the next, all accompanied by a John Williams score designed to wring tears from the audience, this is Spielberg at his most self-indulgent. The only actor who acquits himself with dignity is the horse, who I have to say does a brilliant job cantering through this atrocity.

• Matt Conti

Watched by Matt Conti 22 May, 2015 1

**Part of the Best Picture Project**

So after finally getting around to this, after hearing about how awful this film supposedly was, why am I currently sitting here afterwards not exactly moved, but also mildly impressed?

There's something I've always disliked about some of the criticisms that have always been directed at Spielberg: They're hypocritical, and in some cases are just born out of a plain misunderstanding for what Spielberg is trying to do with his films. Granted, War Horse

• Red

★★★ Added by Red

I'm guessing I don't get this movie cos I'm not a massive horse person and never really was. As far as I can tell, this boy is in love with a horse that he met as a baby and therefore everything in the world revolves around this horse. I dunno.

• Wilson

★★★★ Rewatched by Wilson 18 May, 2015 3

I remember first going to see War Horse and assuming that it was another Steven Spielberg war film; but rather it is a children's film with a war setting. Again, I had forgotten quite how child-oriented War Horse, but this is not a criticism. I really appreciate how well it knows and goes after its target audience. War Horse is probably the most Spielbergian film that even Mr Spielberg has managed, and for me that is only a good thing.…

• CinemaClown

★★½ Watched by CinemaClown 14 May, 2015 2

Covering the themes of interspecies friendship, futility of war & how warfare affects not only mankind but all living beings, War Horse is an overly melodramatic war-drama from Steven Spielberg that's crafted with his usual flair, tenderness & elegance but isn't a cinema that's going to appeal to everyone for its bland narration makes it a chore to sit through.

Based on a children's book of the same name & set during the First World War, War Horse chronicles the inseparable bonding between…

• FilmGuy1997

★★★½ Added by FilmGuy1997

People often accuse Steven Spielberg of being too sentimental, but to me that's part of his appeal. I didn't love this movie, but it's heart is in the right place.

• Alex Kozak

½ Added by Alex Kozak

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

I'm going to review a movie that everyone will love, but I hate. Wait, did I say WILL love? Yes that's right, will because not a lot of people have seen this movie yet. That's because it doesn't come out until Christmas day, but I happened to catch an advanced screening of it a few weeks ago. My initial reaction to the film was indifferent, I knew that I wanted to write a review on it but I thought I'd…

• u2nz

★★★★★ Watched by u2nz 25 Apr, 2015

Really enjoyed the tale of a horse's adventures and misadventures before and during WW1, and the special connection he had with the young man who raised him. Highly recommended. Watched on the 100th anniversary of the ANZACs landing on Gallipoli, amidst many documentaries of same.

• Corey Atad

★★★★★ Rewatched by Corey Atad 15 Apr, 2015

A damn masterpiece. It's a beautiful film in many ways, but not the least for its literal beauty. Spielberg and Kaminski do the most incredible things with foreground and background lighting and colour. It's at once highly tactile, while also being a step heightened above reality. By recalling the classic look of John Ford films like The Quiet Man, the film reaches at an impressionism unseen in any of Spielberg's other work, and as a lens through which to view a journey through war it works wonders.

• Daniblacksmoke
  • Karla Castel

★★★★ Added by Karla Castel

I loved it. I almost cried.

• Reece Leonard

★★★★ Added by Reece Leonard

Although it's not Spielberg's best film and the syrup has been poured on thick, "War Horse" is still a dramatically excellent adaptation of the successful theater production.