• Aaron Martin

★★★½ Watched by Aaron Martin 23 Oct, 2014

"War horse, it's a war horse."

A love story between a boy and his horse, and its only mildly creepier than that description. Meanders quite a bit through all these vignettes, giving us all these different perspectives during World War I. All of them are sickly sweet, but some work more than others (the main boy in love with the horse, the German children).

The great reunion comes and dammit if it didn't make me tear up. That'll do War horse, that'll do.

• Aaron Hammond

★★★★ Rewatched by Aaron Hammond 12 Oct, 2014

"War takes everything...from everyone."

I was pretty ambivalent toward this when it first came out; I thought the episodic structure offered too-brief glimpses into different facets of World War 1, and Joey the horse wasn't compelling enough as a guide between these strands. And then of course there was Spielberg's usual sentimentality, which felt a bit too cloying to me at the time (and I'm a pretty big Spielberg defender, so I have a high tolerance).

While this film has…

• Joe DiCanio

★★★ Watched by Joe DiCanio 17 Jan, 2012

Rating: B-

• Michael

★★★ Watched by Michael 26 Dec, 2011

A random walk through World War I. By a horse.

Made in Classic Hollywood style, the film is populated by good actors, beautiful (or beautifully horrible) sets, and a grand vision. While the individual segments are fine, they do not come together to create a whole which is greater than the parts. In fact the whole may be less than the sum of its parts, diminished by mawkishly transparent manipulation of the audience.

Spielberg is a master manipulator but here the hand of the master is a bit heavy.

• Andrew Hurley

Watched by Andrew Hurley 03 Jan, 2012

Marcus Showtime Franklin@3:20
    Screen 2

• Michael Samerdyke

★★ Watched by Michael Samerdyke 30 Sep, 2014

I had heard this was Spielberg's "John Ford" movie. And in a way, that is right. There are beautiful images that match what Ford left us.

But in some ways, this is also Spielberg's Walt Disney movie, like that movie about the horse that survived Custer's Last Stand. And by the time this movie got to the section about the feisty girl and her crusty grandpa, I really checked out of this film.

The main problem with this movie is…

• Windyblue

★★★★ Added by Windyblue

Recommended.

Warning:
    Battle scene violence (this wouldn't get a warning at all if it wasn't a kids movie)

Two things.
    1. THIS is the kind of story I'd apply the word epic to. This, Black Beauty, and Ben Hur.
    2. Why isn't the horse credited under actors, cause this horse is totally acting.

Very emotional and endearing. I cried, and didn't look away for the whole 2.5 hours. Beautiful to looks at, and is actually stylistically similar to oil paintings…

• Joyce Heinen

★★★½ Watched by Joyce Heinen 21 Sep, 2014

Like dogs, in the history of film horses have proven to be excellent actors. “War Horse” is an epic story that shows World War I through the eyes of a horse. Off course not an ordinary horse, this one is very special. Everyone that encounters him, is mesmerized by him.

“War Horse” starts with the birth of a young horse The young Albert witnesses it and from that moment on, Albert is fascinated by the creature. When his father buys…

• Koekje

★★ Watched by Koekje 21 Sep, 2014

Zelfs Spielbergs slechte films kan ik zonder al te veel moeite uitkijken. Wat waarschijnlijk iets zegt over de kwaliteiten van Spielberg als verhalenverteller, zelfs als dat verhaal tegenvalt.
    Want ja, War Horse is overdadig sentimenteel, ongeloofwaardig en veel te mild. Maar, misschien nog wel opvallender, vond ik dat de film daarnaast ook niet mooi geschoten is. De belichting in veel scènes kwam mij heel lelijk en artificieel voor. Het zag er niet uit als zonlicht, zelfs niet als lampen die zonlicht moeten suggereren, het zag er gewoon uit als lamplicht. Vreemd.

• Carlos Rodríguez

★★★★½ Watched by Carlos Rodríguez 16 Feb, 2012

War Horse showcases Steven Spielberg in top form as a filmmaker emotionally, visually, and storytelling-wise. Its spirit reminded me of films from the '40s or the '50s, especially those made by John Ford. This was a thoroughly entertaining, exciting, and breathtaking film experience that was elevated, of course, by another brilliant score by John Williams, the greatest of all film composers.

I loved the story and its characters were convincing and well constructed. The entire cast was fantastic. The action…

• funsohng

Added by funsohng

Spielberg's World War I drama is a tearjerker that fails to jerk any tears due to its artificial and archaic trappings.

• John Connor

★★ Watched by John Connor 03 Jan, 2012

'War Horse' is structured in such a stilted, episodic way that I found it impossible to make any emotional connection with the events taking place on screen. Through the main body of the film, we never stay with any human characters for long enough to learn to give a damn about them. And because I didn't care, Spielberg's old-fashioned (almost naive) approach came off as cloying and desperate.