• Aditya Bhagirath

★★½ Watched by Aditya Bhagirath 25 Jun, 2015

Film Number 27 of Aditya's Scavenger Hunt Challenge No. 3

Day 23, Task No, 8 - A film about a horse

War Horse

If you want an example of when a great filmmaker adapts a great story into something strangely underwhelming and treacly, look no further.

Where to begin with War Horse? It's just so incredibly cloying and forced. I didn't particularly feel anything for any of the characters. What was an expertly written book by Michael Morpurgo was adapted…

• BobJordan

★★★½ Watched by BobJordan 01 Jun, 2015

Very good film - surprisingly good. Some very good performances by the humans. Will go along side horse-lovers favorites like Black Beauty and Black Stallion.

• Simon Magus

★★★★½ Added by Simon Magus

Initially it appears to be little more than a mildly pleasant retread of aspects of Spielberg's previous works, but it gradually builds to immense impact. The final scene/shot is a wonder, and the visual composition throughout is the strongest in Spielberg's filmography.

• Wayne

★★★★ Watched by Wayne 16 Jun, 2015

I was really surprised by how much I actually enjoyed War Horse. As someone who generally doesn't like war films, this really worked for me due to the great acting, the terrific direction from Steven Spielberg and the emotional connection I felt too the characters. It does run too long and there were some storylines I liked more than other but still, I don't understand why alot of people find this overrated.

• Milo

★★★ Watched by Milo 08 Jun, 2015

Scavenger Hunt 3! 8/30 "A film about horse(s)!": letterboxd.com/milo123/list/milo123s-scavenger-hunt-3-the-scavenger-ultimatum/.

A few years ago when this was out at my local cinema, I got the choice to see either this film or Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol. I went with the latter, and having now finally seen Spielberg's War Horse, I can safely say that I certainly preferred Ghost Protocol to this movie, which felt like it dragged out far longer than it should, despite looking good on paper with an impressive…

• Andrew

★★★½ Added by Andrew

Good filmmaking, but sometimes it gets too cheesy

• Andrew Ford

★★★★ Rewatched by Andrew Ford 07 Jun, 2015

It may be more structurally audacious on a surface level than anything John Ford ever would have attempted, but it's the most overt attempt at emulating that master's strengths in Spielberg's body of work to-date. The influence of a film like The Quiet Man on the early moments of this film is evident, and lends the proceedings a rich air of cinematic nostalgia given shading both by Peter Mullan's battle scars from prior conflicts, and the looming shadow of WWI.…

• feedingbrett

★★★ Rewatched by feedingbrett 01 Jun, 2015

Over the last two decades, occasionally, Spielberg finds himself releasing two films within a single year; in most cases releasing two films of a different breed, Schindler’s List and Jurassic Park on 1993, Amistad and The Lost World on 1997, War of the Worlds and Munich on 2005. It has seem to repeat itself on 2011, with the filmmaker attempting to win back the hearts of his audience from his previous misfire; an escapist adventure for the urgent and desperate…

• Vasquez

★★★½ Watched by Vasquez 30 May, 2015

War scenes are very good

• Josie Sabo

★★★★ Added by Josie Sabo

The only two things I really hate in this world are horses and wars, so I don't really know what compelled me to watch this movie but I'm glad I did. It was a little slow to start out but the way the plot is pushed forward with each turn of hands made it significantly more interesting.

• briarrose

Watched by briarrose 23 May, 2015

I'm sure there's an excellent film to be made about horses and war. This is not that film. Dripping in schmaltz, this clunker has dialogue so cheesy I'd think it was a parody, was it not for the painful earnestness with which it's all delivered. One emotionally-manipulative scene after the next, all accompanied by a John Williams score designed to wring tears from the audience, this is Spielberg at his most self-indulgent. The only actor who acquits himself with dignity is the horse, who I have to say does a brilliant job cantering through this atrocity.

• Matt Conti

Watched by Matt Conti 22 May, 2015 1

**Part of the Best Picture Project**

So after finally getting around to this, after hearing about how awful this film supposedly was, why am I currently sitting here afterwards not exactly moved, but also mildly impressed?

There's something I've always disliked about some of the criticisms that have always been directed at Spielberg: They're hypocritical, and in some cases are just born out of a plain misunderstanding for what Spielberg is trying to do with his films. Granted, War Horse