• Beaumont Cavendish

★★★★ Rewatched by Beaumont Cavendish 04 Jul, 2015

9/11

• nosaj

★★★★★ Rewatched by nosaj 04 Jul, 2015 4

it makes a lot of sense that kiyoshi kurosawa loves this film

• David

★★★ Watched by David 02 Jul, 2015

Creo recordar que había recibido bastantes palos en su día. A mí, sin embargo, hay bastantes cosas que me parecen bastante acertadas de esta versión: La presentación, pese a la simplicidad de los personajes, aunque se aleja algo de la novela, me despierta interés, el diseño de la maquinaria marciana es un acierto y, aunque la película no juegue esa carta (aunque hay un par de escenas que podrían formar parte de esa otra película; la del río, la panorámica…

• Rosp

★★½ Added by Rosp

Nota = 5,5

• Connor Carey

★★★★ Rewatched by Connor Carey 29 Jun, 2015

Aside from a rather rushed final act and a very abrupt ending, "War of the Worlds" is still an enjoyable, suspenseful and consistently entertaining disaster film with an unsurprisingly solid lead performance from Tom Cruise, a chilling atmosphere and some absolutely thrilling sequences. Certainly not one of Spielberg's best but still a rock solid entry into his career.

• seasondays

★★★★ Watched by seasondays 28 Jun, 2015

STEVEN SPIELBERG's last science fiction epic does feature many of the elements most hate [but i love] yet he balances and combines successfully some great ideas that most would not have been [as] able to do like the way this film looks like a 1950's B movie near the end.

• Lars Sieval

★★★½ Rewatched by Lars Sieval 27 Jun, 2015

War of the Worlds is visually stunning and has a amazing performance from the young Dakota Fanning. It's very much different from the 50's version of the movie but it's fun in it's own way! I liked Tom Cruise as the bad dad, Justin Chatwin I can never take serious after seeing him in Dragonball Evolution and the spaceships looked cool! I really dug that scene where the one came out of the water and knocked the ferry over!

The ending is kinda silly but with Morgan Freeman explaining makes up for it, kinda. Also, we're getting closer towards finishing Spielberg's movies!

• Aaron Hammond

★★★★ Rewatched by Aaron Hammond 27 Jun, 2015

"I need to see this."

90% of this movie is bravura blockbuster filmmaking. Utterly merciless, which is crucial to preserving the 9/11 allegory Spielberg and the script by Josh Friedman and David Koepp transport onto H.G. Wells' novel; the horror still has to be present, more recent blockbusters ("Star Trek Into Darkness" and "World War Z" being the biggest offenders) just appropriate the imagery for cheap thrills and empty catharsis. This film has a heft to it, obliterating the facile…

• Smapti

★★★★ Rewatched by Smapti 26 Jun, 2015

FUN FACT: Roger Ebert's review of this movie compares it unfavorably to The Day After Tomorrow, which he thought was the superior movie. (!!?) In related news, I have no idea why people care about Ebert's garbage opinions.

Anyhow, this is prime Spielberg: the characters are iffy but the set pieces are very impressive.

• TheCincyKid

★★★★ Added by TheCincyKid

Spielberg may validate Godard dweebs as well as his other pseudo-cynical millennial detractors by ending with the most literal possible interpretation of a sarcastic description of Spielberg's romanticized Americana, the exposition has balls, and we can feel ourselves settle in nice and snug with the East Coast environment in roughly 12 minutes before incinerating tripod shit hits the fan. And that fan-hitting tripod shit is determinately intense and grimly harrowing. A master is pulling our strings with as much innate painstaking passion as he ever did. It's a roller coaster; get on or go fuck yourself.

• James

★★★★½ Rewatched by James 19 Jun, 2015

I genuinely believe this is one of the most underrated films of its decade, and the criticisms directed at it always struck me as incredibly harsh, trivial and superficial, to the extent where its reception is something I regard as bizarre.

• jdue

★★★½ Rewatched by jdue 15 Jun, 2015

"Humans were being watched."