• Thief12

★★★½ Rewatched by Thief12 04 Dec, 2009

I just caught Spielberg's War of the Worlds on TNT right now. I had seen it in theaters and loved it quite a bit, and felt the same now. Very intense and thrilling. I think the scene when the tripods first appear is an awesome, edge-of-your-seat one. I do think that Spielberg could've done some things different during the last act, but it still worked for me.

(review written in 2009)

• Matt Goldberg

★★★★ Rewatched by Matt Goldberg 12 Apr, 2014

I hadn't seen this film since it came out, and it's definitely worth a rewatch. I think this is Spielberg's most subversive film since it wears the face of a blockbuster. It stars Tom Cruise, it was a summer tentpole, and Spielberg snuck in a 9/11 movie with some seriously dark and disturbing stuff.

The aliens aren't really the antagonists. They're a CAUSE, but the real darkness comes from humanity. It's people trampling each other and ignoring each other. The…

• MysticSpoon

★★★½ Watched by MysticSpoon 13 Apr, 2014

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

• Punk

★★★★ Rewatched by Punk 07 Apr, 2014

One of the most underrated science fiction films of recent times in my opinion. Spielberg's War of the Worlds has awesome effects, a captivating story, a solid lead performance from "The Running Man" Tom Cruise, and perfectly captures a sense of urgency and peril with it's tone. I saw this in the cinema when it first came out in 2005 and it scared the crap out of me, and even on a re-watch 9 years later it still gives me the creeps.

• Sam Goode

★★★½ Rewatched by Sam Goode 05 Apr, 2014

Deals with 9/11 much more obviously than Munich did. At one point a character even asks "is it terrorists". But what this allows Spielberg to do is capture all of the paranoia and fear that came with 9/11, where Munich was only able to capture our need for righting the wrong that was done. Though Munich does out do War of the Worlds as far as subtlety, but War of the Worlds showing the slaughter of millions is able to connect with the audience much more by connecting with their own fears.

• Mumok

★★½ Watched by Mumok 04 Apr, 2014

Although it might be a bad movie, and the story just seems unfinished, the cinematography of Janusz Kaminski has it's gorgeous moments.

• Ravishankar Narayanan

★★★½ Watched by Ravishankar Narayanan 04 Apr, 2014

Tom Cruise can run, I get it. Good CGI.

• Henrik Wilhelmsson

★★★½ Rewatched by Henrik Wilhelmsson 03 Apr, 2014

First half is better.

• Tom Prankerd

★★ Watched by Tom Prankerd 02 Apr, 2014

I should first declare that the only version of War of the Worlds I have much time for is the big-budget Victorian-set version starring John Hurt as the journalist (with Paul Bettany as the artilleryman and Anthony Hopkins as the preacher) that only exists in my head.

That out of the way, this was pretty mediocre. Spielberg does the big spectacle well and there are some great set-pieces and a few very haunting visuals - the bodies floating down the…

• monolithicbunny

½ Watched by monolithicbunny 31 Mar, 2014

War Of The Worlds is a nice-looking and well set film, it has seeming potential on a superficial level.

Starting this review over, War of the Worlds is a clunky shitshow of a movie. A laugh riot, an exercise in self-parody. A motion picture featuring a screenplay that makes one wonder if the writers have ever talked to another human being or if they have restricted themselves to anus-resembling extraterrestrial devices. Also featuring occasional interesting visuals. Featuring often poorly designed…

• Roberts

★★★★½ Rewatched by Roberts 27 Mar, 2014

WAR OF THE WORLDS is still brilliant. I don't know how to describe it, but there's something unique to the way Spielberg tells the whole story. It's a blockbuster, but it's also what I would call an anti-blockbuster. It is a big production, but it never it lets you feel safe and comfortable. It's rarely exciting, but you can't look away, because how gripping, dark and horrific the whole thing is.

• Kevin Weist

★★★★ Rewatched by Kevin Weist 23 Mar, 2014

How do you make a movie like this? Amazing. It was fun introducing it to my teenage son who doesn't know the story.