• Beggarsoshat

★★★★½ Added by Beggarsoshat

Apart from the amusing opening (and to some, the overly sappy ending), this is a relentless and dark survival movie with some of Spielberg's finest action scenes.

• Roger Joseph Ebert

★★½ Added by Roger Joseph Ebert

"War of the Worlds" is a big, clunky movie containing some sensational sights but lacking the zest and joyous energy we expect from Steven Spielberg. It proceeds with the lead-footed deliberation of its 1950s predecessors to give us an alien invasion that is malevolent, destructive and, from the alien point of view, pointless. They've "been planning this for a million years" and have gone to a lot of trouble to invade Earth for no apparent reason and with a seriously…

• John

★★★★★ Added by John

I realy enjoyed this film! I know this is a remake of a 1953 film of the same name, but Steven Spielberg did an amazing job on this one! The cast is great and the special effects are really cool!

• Thief12

★★★½ Rewatched by Thief12 04 Dec, 2009

I just caught Spielberg's War of the Worlds on TNT right now. I had seen it in theaters and loved it quite a bit, and felt the same now. Very intense and thrilling. I think the scene when the tripods first appear is an awesome, edge-of-your-seat one. I do think that Spielberg could've done some things different during the last act, but it still worked for me.

(review written in 2009)

• Matt Goldberg

★★★★ Rewatched by Matt Goldberg 12 Apr, 2014

I hadn't seen this film since it came out, and it's definitely worth a rewatch. I think this is Spielberg's most subversive film since it wears the face of a blockbuster. It stars Tom Cruise, it was a summer tentpole, and Spielberg snuck in a 9/11 movie with some seriously dark and disturbing stuff.

The aliens aren't really the antagonists. They're a CAUSE, but the real darkness comes from humanity. It's people trampling each other and ignoring each other. The…

• MysticSpoon

★★★½ Watched by MysticSpoon 13 Apr, 2014

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

• Tom Wilton

★★★★ Rewatched by Tom Wilton 07 Apr, 2014

One of the most underrated science fiction films of recent times in my opinion. Spielberg's War of the Worlds has awesome effects, a captivating story, a solid lead performance from "The Running Man" Tom Cruise, and perfectly captures a sense of urgency and peril with it's tone. I saw this in the cinema when it first came out in 2005 and it scared the crap out of me, and even on a re-watch 9 years later it still gives me the creeps.

• Sam Goode

★★★½ Rewatched by Sam Goode 05 Apr, 2014

Deals with 9/11 much more obviously than Munich did. At one point a character even asks "is it terrorists". But what this allows Spielberg to do is capture all of the paranoia and fear that came with 9/11, where Munich was only able to capture our need for righting the wrong that was done. Though Munich does out do War of the Worlds as far as subtlety, but War of the Worlds showing the slaughter of millions is able to connect with the audience much more by connecting with their own fears.

• Mumok

★★½ Watched by Mumok 04 Apr, 2014

Although it might be a bad movie, and the story just seems unfinished, the cinematography of Janusz Kaminski has it's gorgeous moments.

• Ravishankar Narayanan

★★★½ Watched by Ravishankar Narayanan 04 Apr, 2014

Tom Cruise can run, I get it. Good CGI.

• Henrik Wilhelmsson

★★★½ Rewatched by Henrik Wilhelmsson 03 Apr, 2014

First half is better.

• Tom Prankerd

★★ Watched by Tom Prankerd 02 Apr, 2014

I should first declare that the only version of War of the Worlds I have much time for is the big-budget Victorian-set version starring John Hurt as the journalist (with Paul Bettany as the artilleryman and Anthony Hopkins as the preacher) that only exists in my head.

That out of the way, this was pretty mediocre. Spielberg does the big spectacle well and there are some great set-pieces and a few very haunting visuals - the bodies floating down the…