• thequestion

★★★★ Added by thequestion

Actually thought this was underrated, just needed a better third act

• Arnold Schizopolis

★★★ Rewatched by Arnold Schizopolis 01 Mar, 2015

Another underwhelming alien sci-fi film from Spielberg. But, I found it slightly better than when I saw it in theaters. Only because I enjoyed the spectacle a little more. Unlike Close Encounters, Spielberg provides plenty of action and suspense. The main character of Ray may be another crappy dad like Roy in Close Encounters, but at least he's divorced and doesn't abandon his kids! An obvious mea culpa by Spielberg. But of course, Spielberg has to focus on abandonment again…

• Kenneth Morefield

★★★ Rewatched by Kenneth Morefield 24 Feb, 2015

Not as bad as I remember, but not exactly memorable.

• ZawMine

★★★½ Added by ZawMine

I love this film. It was entertaining and so much fun to watch. Tom cruise always did an incredible job. Love this film.

• MsStackattack

★★★ Rewatched by MsStackattack 19 Feb, 2015

I could really do without all the family drama stuff but I gotta say, I love an alien invasion movie! I'll watch all of 'em all the time! Love watching aliens being mean. The opening sequence is cool though BTW.

• Brian Hann

★★★½ Added by Brian Hann

The noise the aliens make (phuwaaaaaaaarrrrrrrr) still shakes me up!

This is a great first half movie and then a Spielberg does over sentimentality second half.

• Chloe

★★★½ Watched by Chloe 15 Feb, 2015

Dakota Fanning stole the show and shows what brilliant acting really is. A creepy remake of a classic film and a good watch.

• Justin Haffenden

★★★★½ Watched by Justin Haffenden 12 Feb, 2015

Just WOW!!!
    Ok to start off, I use to watch this all the time when I was younger. Yes I was frightened, but at the same time amazed! I have goosebumps all the way through this movie everytime I watch it.
    To this day it is still one of my favourite movies of all time! I think it is Tom Cruise's proformance that really makes the movie! Along with Dakota Fanning who was also really great, for a child actor.…

• William Kretschmer

★★★½ Watched by William Kretschmer 13 Sep, 2010

As Earth is invaded by alien tripod fighting machines, one family fights for survival.
    An effective and very imaginative variation than an adaptation of the classic sci-fi novel, some scenes even reach Hieronymous Bosch intensity.

• mild sauce

★★★½ Rewatched by mild sauce 08 Feb, 2015 4

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

Engrossing presentation of a generally well-adapted source novel. A recent exchange with my pal Vic made me want to revisit this, and I'm glad I did. I'm a Spielberg devotee, and alla ya'll haters out there can go get vaporized if you're not down with that. Spielberg's typical themes of families (especially fathers and sons) form the emotional anchor here in adapting H.G. Well's tale of Martian invaders. Here, Spielberg proves again that he's basically peerless at this kind of…

• Aaron Jones

★★★★½ Added by Aaron Jones

Underrated much? I say that because this is one of the few Spielberg movies that no one really talks about, and when they do talk about it it's mostly negative remarks and I really don't get it because I thought this was a very suspenseful and well paced alien invasion movie and I really don't think the ending is as bad as some people think, convenient? Yeah I can agree on that but still I found it entertaining, anyway I really enjoyed the movie and think it deserves way more credit than it gets.

• AndresNukem