• Enno Jacobsen

★★★ Watched by Enno Jacobsen 14 Jul, 2014

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

• Garrett Irwin

★★★★ Added by Garrett Irwin

Steven Spielberg has crafted one of his most horrific nightmares with War of the Worlds, an unrelenting disaster pic that brings the genre to a bruised, post-9/11 world. With imagery taken straight from history's darkest days, the master storyteller goes against his crowd-pleasing genes and delivers a harrowing tale of survival as only he could. Spielberg and America's favorite crazy man, Tom Cruise, follow up the inspired but bloated Minority Report with a surprisingly efficient picture that's as succinct in…

• Tom Ward

★★★★ Rewatched by Tom Ward 12 Jul, 2014

One of Spielberg's best films, full stop. In my top 5 easily. For once, Spielberg's aliens are evil and without a care in the world.

Some great action sequences and a very human story. Despite a weak ending, the majority of the film is tense, dramatic and full of allusions to the then-recent 9/11 attacks. It's an interesting commentary if you look at it as such.

• Kyle Porter

★★★★½ Rewatched by Kyle Porter 10 Jul, 2014

Sorry, but I love this movie. I know so many people who hate it, and I can't figure out why. I like to believe it's because Tom Cruise is the star, and people hate him, but... I still don't get it. As a person he seems... eh. But I think he's a pretty good actor. Anyway, I think this movie is f**king scary. Like, if I were in that situation, I would probably just commit suicide. Lol. I couldn't mentally handle it. I think it's well made, well acted, and well scored. And the sound FX! Aahhh! Lol. I'm already paranoid.

• Dan Bergstrom

½ Added by Dan Bergstrom 1

Is it a spoiler to say that Dakota Fanning spends pretty much all of the movie screaming? That's more or less all she does. I don't want to watch that for two hours. I have not read the original story. I have heard the Orson Welles radio broadcast, and at no point in time does he scream, because people don't want to listen to screaming for two hours. If you added up all of the screaming from all 4 Scream…

• fincky87

★★★★½ Rewatched by fincky87 06 Jul, 2014

All of us know most of this movie is wrong. But... what you don't know I love this flick. I love the dirty and dark atmosphere. I like the SFX and the brillant brillant sound design. The pacing is great and this one is really scaring me. Pure entertainment... despite Tim Robbins, Dakota Fanning and Justin Chatwin.

• Joe

★★½ Rewatched by Joe 04 Jul, 2014

Part of my Rewatch list:

Spielberg deserves some praise for this movie. The spectacle is fantastic and given his usual foray of films I can respect him trying to branch out into a grittier tone.

The problem though is that its still a Spielberg movie and gritty doesn't really work unless he's doing WWII. The movie is somehow too clean despite the city destruction. And while its never fair to compare to those that came before I'll take my War…

• Morgan_Lightle

★★★ Added by Morgan_Lightle

Well here is that bit of Spielberg's dark side, and it is very interesting to see, while having some problems.
    Spielberg's direction is top-notch here, basically a master class in suspense and tension. The cinematography, sound, sets and effects are fantastic, engaging and creepy, in my opinion the best part of War of the Worlds.
    The story on the other hand is weak. War of the Worlds follows a traditional alien narrative with a focus on Tom Cruise as a…

• VivaLaVida

★★★½ Added by VivaLaVida

When I was a child, I used to avoid this movie at all costs. It scared the crap out of me. I didn't enjoy the idea of war; the destruction of Earth. I was naive and didn't plan on leaving my circle of 'safety'.

Obviously, I'm a little different today.

I really enjoyed this film. It's filled with dark content. It displays the dangerous quality of human nature. People will do anything to survive. We will kill anyone and anything…

• SikeChick

★★★½ Watched by SikeChick 02 Jul, 2014

Annoying kids, but I liked it.

• markdlarson

★★½ Watched by markdlarson 28 Jun, 2014

I love the opening hour or so. I think the big weakness is that the aliens are kinda boring. I like their throwback design and effects, but something is missing there. The basement scene also drags on waaaaaayyy too long. Spielberg is still a genius, though.

• Captain Howdy

★★½ Rewatched by Captain Howdy 12 Jun, 2014

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.