• MrPootytang

★★ Added by MrPootytang

War of the Worlds is a Steven Spielberg sci-fi/thriller revealing an extraterrestrial invasion on Earth, based on H.G. Wells' novel 'The War of the Worlds'. Ray Ferrier (Tom Cruise), a New England father, is forced to evacuate due to invasion. The beginning of War of the Worlds is captivating, engaging, and draws you in. At any rate, this quickly falls apart to a thin dialogue and nonsensical display from actors and plot. Showing off the countless people seeking refuge, yet…

• Luke Kane

★★★½ Rewatched by Luke Kane 16 Sep, 2014

Tom Cruise is a terrible father who doesn't know why his son prefers his stepfather or what his daughter is allergic to. We don't quite know what he's been doing instead of fathering, but - because it's Tom Cruise, and because everyone in his industrialised neighbourhood seems to know him - we can make a pretty reasoned guess.

He's separated from his wife Miranda Otto (blink and you'll miss her) and doesn't do grocery shopping. His daughter, a Drew-Barrymore-from-ET-lookalike, loves…

• funsohng

Added by funsohng

Spielberg captures the hopeless nature of war against cosmic horror in an engaging fashion in this sci-fi war film.

• Jake Bart

★★★½ Rewatched by Jake Bart 14 Sep, 2014

Thick with so much 9/11 subtext that it is more or less text. Best when aiming for visceral terror, on shakier ground when it comes to nuts and bolts dramatics. And sadly, both of Cruise's children survive until the end (two of the worst movie brats that I can recall). Cruise does heavy lifting here though, fighting through his miscasting and the contrivances of the script to make some spare moments land. He's game for anything, that guy.

• Matt Conti

Added by Matt Conti 4

When 9/11 happened, I was in middle school. I was 13. When the first plane hit, I was just getting settled into second period. At about 9:15, the principal turned on the speaker and delivered the news. But we didn't hear about the planes, because at that point, there wasn't enough information to know about the planes in the first place. All we heard were the buzzwords: "Terrorists" "Attack" "Explosion" So the school was to be evacuated for safety precautions,…

• Hil

★★★½ Watched by Hil 07 Sep, 2014

If it weren't for the abysmally weak ending and Dakota Fanning's endless screaming this could have been a 4.5 star rating.

• Hari

Rewatched by Hari 05 Sep, 2014

"No Robbie, not like Europe!"

• JimmyJim

★★★★ Watched by JimmyJim 29 Aug, 2014

Traumatic.

• Carlos Rodríguez

★★★★ Watched by Carlos Rodríguez 23 Jul, 2008

Well acted, with impressive visual effects, and utterly entertaining, Steven Spielberg's version of War of the Worlds doesn't reach the level of his finest sci-fi films but it still offers plenty of eye-popping spectacle on its own. Tom Cruise and Dakota Fanning's performances were really good.

• KMOKLER

Added by KMOKLER

0/5 my least favourite Steven Spielberg and tom Cruise film that just has a bad script, bad effects and Justin Chatwin.

• inessentials

★★★★½ Rewatched by inessentials 25 Aug, 2014

About as great as a film can be with a prologue and an epilogue that awful.

• Dan Smith

Watched by Dan Smith 22 Aug, 2014

My word, War Of The Worlds is dire. Someone I respect recommended that it's worth a re-watch (I'd not seen it), and if I ever remember who I'll be right cross with them.

NOTHING HAPPENS. IT'S ALL CGI POOTLING.

Aliens invade FOR NO REASON. It just happens to some people we barely know via an EMP. The people flap about like wet hens, people get splatched by death rays, Tom Cruise Oooh Bad Father gets a car working by some…