• Twan

★★★★ Rewatched by Twan 05 Jul, 2014

Robert Downey Jnr's sappy blinking is one of the greatest moments of cinematic history.

The dark haired lad's Edward Furlong voice isn't.

• jenny_jacobi

★★½ Watched by jenny_jacobi 27 Jun, 2014

I didn't really remember how kind of sexist this movie is...

• mte

★★★½ Rewatched by mte 28 May, 2014

Still very likable, I suppose, but a lot clunkier than I remembered, with some pretty dodgy scenes (AMH's jive-talk shtick at the Kandy Bar is pretty offensive) and some predictable sight gags. But Bill Paxton's turn as Chet might be his best performance ever.

• Kyle Porter

★★★★ Rewatched by Kyle Porter 24 May, 2014

I love comedies from the 80's. They just have a special feeling that comedies today lack. After only seeing this movie on TV throughout my entire childhood (always missing at least the first fifteen minutes), somehow missing the VHS & DVD releases, I finally picked this up on Blu-ray last year. I'm so glad I did. What a great little movie! It genuinely makes me laugh out loud, multiple times. The acting is great, the music is awesome, and Kelly LeBrock was sexy as hell!

• George Williamson

★★½ Rewatched by George Williamson 09 May, 2014

There are few things more horrifying than revisiting a dearly loved film of one's youth with an audience of first-time viewers. Classic dialogue becomes excruciating, hilarious jokes become mildly offensive, subtle fourth wall breaking facial expressions become manic gurning. Some films are best left in the past, the cherry picked memorable parts ensconced in a pink nostalgic fug, the painfully rubbish sections swept under the carpet.

Weird Science was one of the most watched films of my teenage life, coming…

• Nathan Sizemore

★★★★½ Watched by Nathan Sizemore 30 Apr, 2014

John Hughes manages to stuff this movie with a lot of things, including Bill Paxton in a great supporting role (shades of Futureman in Bottle Rocket), Robert Downey Jr. playing a high school bully, Vernon Wells reprising his Mad Max 2 role as Wez, a nuclear warhead and a bunch of other craziness.

84/100

• QED

★★★½ Watched by QED 30 Apr, 2014 1

Written and directed by John Hughes this film stars Anthony Michael Hall, Ilan Mitchel-Smith and Kelly LeBrock. Two socially awkward teenage boys manage to create their fantasy woman but things do not turn out exactly as they planned.

This film is not really up there with the rest of John Hughes work but there is still some good stuff in this film. While it may lack humour the film does do a good job highlighting the difference between fantasy and…

• ericmarsh

★★★★½ Rewatched by ericmarsh 29 Apr, 2014 2

never get tired of this!!!!!

• Nuno Costa

★★★½ Rewatched by Nuno Costa 19 Apr, 2014

Viewed on DVD

John Hughes' Weird Science is a teenage boys fantasy.
    The kind of fantasy where you create a woman using your computer with the full intent to act out your sexual fantasies but that same woman empowers you and gives you the confidence to ask the girl you like at school out.

Weird Science is the John Hughes film that sticks out in his filmography.
    It's completely wacky, and a lot of fun.

Watching it again, you forget how much this is Anthony Michael Hall's movie.
    He is really good in it.

• fatpie42

★★★★½ Rewatched by fatpie42 12 Apr, 2014

The premise of this movie initially sounds appalling. A couple of teenage losers who cannot seem to get a girlfriend decide to use their computer and make themselves a woman. But you have to realise that it is very much an accident that they are successful. It's more of a computer-centred ritual rather than an engineering job, with cultish behaviour like wearing bras on their heads playing a part. The woman they create appears to have magic powers and in…

• Richard Goddard

★★★½ Watched by Richard Goddard 03 Apr, 2014

John God-Damn Hughes. This is the only one of his films that I hadn't seen, and whilst it isn't his strongest it is still damn good fun and Anthony Michael Hall is brilliant as usual. Also, can we just take a second to appreciate Kelly LeBrock.....WOW.

• John Jay

★★★★ Rewatched by John Jay 27 Mar, 2014

They just don't make comedies like this anymore. I guess no one can make comedies like John Hughes did.