• fatpie42

★★★★½ Rewatched by fatpie42 12 Apr, 2014

The premise of this movie initially sounds appalling. A couple of teenage losers who cannot seem to get a girlfriend decide to use their computer and make themselves a woman. But you have to realise that it is very much an accident that they are successful. It's more of a computer-centred ritual rather than an engineering job, with cultish behaviour like wearing bras on their heads playing a part. The woman they create appears to have magic powers and in…

• Richard Goddard

★★★½ Watched by Richard Goddard 03 Apr, 2014

John God-Damn Hughes. This is the only one of his films that I hadn't seen, and whilst it isn't his strongest it is still damn good fun and Anthony Michael Hall is brilliant as usual. Also, can we just take a second to appreciate Kelly LeBrock.....WOW.

• John Jay

★★★★ Rewatched by John Jay 27 Mar, 2014

They just don't make comedies like this anymore. I guess no one can make comedies like John Hughes did.

• Steve Dickson

★★★★★ Rewatched by Steve Dickson 25 Mar, 2014

Seen this too many times and still adore it. So much fun and still surprisingly holds up really well.

• WilliamT

★★½ Watched by WilliamT 20 Mar, 2014

I’m a lover of 80’s comedies, and WEIRD SCIENCE has been a film I've been urging to see since I had not seen it before. Unfortunately, it didn’t quite live up to my expectations. The concept of the film alone I found to be quite interesting especially since this was a film from the 80‘s. It’s just that I couldn’t get all that interested into how it was executed. There were parts where I laughed, but overall the film was…

• kylegarvey

★½ Added by kylegarvey

Deliberately kitschy but still interesting, right down to the synth-splashing Oingo Boingo theme. The heroes are a duo of unsurprisingly horny but surprisingly unbright kids: Gary (Anthony Michael Hall) and Wyatt (Ilan Mitchell-Smith), who manage to conjure a dream girl (Kelly LeBrock), eventually christened Lisa, from some computer noodling. This is in part to defy their bullies, Ian (Robert Downey Jr.) and Max (Robert Rusler), who display some intriguingly twizzly acting but remain woefully unexplored.

I like the absurdly idealized…

• Njabs Phungula

★★★ Watched by Njabs Phungula 10 Mar, 2014 2

This seems like one of those movies where John Hughes made use of EVERY little idea that popped into his head. The result is chaos. This certainly is no Breakfast Club or Ferris Bueller but there are some nice, funny moments. I doubt I'll be watching it again though.

• RunDogmaRun

Added by RunDogmaRun

That is NOT how computers work.

• charles scales

★★★★★ Rewatched by charles scales 22 Feb, 2014

still as amazing the umpteenth time as it was the first time

• ericmarsh

★★★★½ Rewatched by ericmarsh 20 Feb, 2014

From what I've heard, Universal are currently working on a remake of this John Hughes classic. It will have to go some to capture the magic and the dynamic of this spectacular slice of comedic genius. Prediction? I shouldn't be making them after I predicted the Robocop retool would be a slice of banality (how wrong I was), but I will go out on a limb here to say "Not a snowballs chance in hell."

Anthony Michael Hall and Iian…

• Todd Malkin

★★ Rewatched by Todd Malkin 08 Feb, 2014

29 years have not been kind to Weird Science. The pacing is terrible, the jokes are flat, and the charm feels mostly manufactured. I'm sad. My 10-year old self loved this movie. The worst part is when Anthony Michael Hall talks in the equivalent of black face for 10 minutes. Pain. Much pain. If you have any kind of nostalgia for Weird Science, I highly recommend that you leave it in your memory banks.

• Philip Kennedy

★½ Watched by Philip Kennedy 02 Feb, 2014 2

A warped 1980's version of Mary Poppins designed for the crude and immature minds of pubescent boys - sadly, not in a good type of way.