• bushell44

★★★½ Rewatched by bushell44 09 Feb, 2016

great little black and white film from 1942, about German paratroopers that invade an English town, its basically the same story as The Eagle has landed, if you can find this on dvd or Blu-ray give it a watch

• Owen Greenwell

★★★★ Watched by Owen Greenwell 21 Jan, 2011

Good film considering what it is, a propaganda piece. Keep an eye out for Jerry!

• Bob P

★★★½ Watched by Bob P 18 Jan, 2016

An intense, delightful film about a small British town coming together to beat Nazis to death with household objects.

• CarcinoGent

★★★½ Watched by CarcinoGent 13 Jan, 2016

An effective (and surprisingly brutal) propaganda thriller that highlights the importance of sacrifice and resolve. The stakes are well-defined and I was surprised at just how much danger even the youngest of the film's protagonists are in. Features several very good performances. Unfortunately, the characters and their arcs are a little under-served, which is why I haven't rated this movie more highly.

• tipsfromchip

★★★½ Watched by tipsfromchip 11 Jan, 2016

This is a British war film from 1942. Well, I called this a “war film” and it is to a certain extent, but it’s more accurate to call it either a thriller or a war propaganda piece. The events do not take place on a battlefield, but rather in a small village in England that gets infiltrated by Nazis in preparation for a full-scale invasion. The Nazis have disguised themselves as British soldiers that are in the village to inspect…

• Joe Gola

★★★ Added by Joe Gola

A bizarre revenge-fantasy World War II film that bounces back and forth between twee English country life and bayonet stabbings. Kinda reminded me of Ingluorious Basterds, actually.

• Mark C

★★★★★ Rewatched by Mark C 18 Oct, 2015 7

You don't mess with a gun toting Thora Hird!

A superb wartime propaganda piece from Ealing and a classic war film, 1942's Went The Day Well? has its origins in a Graham Greene short story entitled The Lieutenant Died Last. Published two years earlier, Greene's story concerned a village poacher and Boer War veteran, who single-handedly foils the Nazis attempt to invade a sleepy rural English village. In the hands of Ealing writers John Dighton, Diana Morgan and Angus MacPhail,…

• Paddy Hannan

★★★★★ Watched by Paddy Hannan 28 Sep, 2015

September 2015: 33 British Films I Still Haven't Seen

An "unofficial" propaganda film from Ealing. This is a taut, grim and shocking little wartime conspiracy thriller and bloody good it is too, having me completely riveted from beginning to end.
    Although they start well, the German soldiers are soon stereotyped as nothing less than brutally sadistic thugs and pure evil fuckers, synonymous with the most heinous excesses of Nazism. And of course, as does every Jerry, they soon reveal a…

• HalfEmpty

★★★★ Watched by HalfEmpty 23 Sep, 2015

The film is ruthless in its depiction of the indiscriminate nature of evil. Evil doesn't care whether its victims are kind or charming or have unfulfilled goals in life. But heroism is equally indiscriminate, not solely the domain of the brave, strong, or even functionally capable. I've never seen a movie that seemed to care less whether its characters were victims or heroes. Good and evil are simply opposite ends of opportunity.

• SJHoneywell

★★★★½ Added by SJHoneywell 2

Straight propaganda
    With British women killing
    Nazis with an axe.

• ebmsp

★★★★ Watched by ebmsp 12 Sep, 2015

Graham Greene might have the best page to screen batting average of any "literary" author. Along with The Mortal Storm (1940), it's the most effective propaganda film I've seen from the World War II era.

• Steve Longley

Added by Steve Longley

The worst movie I have ever seen. I can't believe Leonard Maltin liked this and thought it was not propaganda!