• Sam_Ashby

★★★ Watched by Sam_Ashby 10 Oct, 2016

Screaming army men... They all sound the same.

• Tom Prankerd

★★★★½ Watched by Tom Prankerd 01 Oct, 2016

Smashing propaganda-tinged war thriller; the strength lies not just in the cracking premise and razor-sharp script but also the subversion and then reaffirmation of English village life. A plethora of winning characters and pariseworthy suspense sequences really add to a ripping story.

• Travis Clark

★★★★ Watched by Travis Clark 21 Sep, 2016

For a little while I was constantly having to readjust my expectation for this one. I first I was thinking it was going to be a cute little bit of British wartime fun (sort of a dramatic World War II set The Russians Are Coming! The Russians Are Coming!); then when the Germans lock things down fairly early I expected more of a wartime adventure, where someone sneaks off to the neighboring town for help, and though that of course…

• Benedict K-S

★★★½ Watched by Benedict K-S 03 Sep, 2016

Wartime propagandist drama-thriller with surprisingly bleak twists and turns, ratcheting things up in the final third - pretty explicitly violent for a film made in this era!

A taut little story by Graham Greene competently handled by both director and cast. A very British curio, and with more charm than you might expect (though it is an Ealing production).

• Vincent Mollica

★★½ Watched by Vincent Mollica 08 Aug, 2016

Very charming, and as an Ealing fan I like the general style. Still felt pretty slight, and I was almost completely turned off by the domestic gun fetishization at the end.

• Steve G-vil

★★★½ Watched by Steve G-vil 06 Jul, 2016 5

Films I Watched On TCM / Film4 While I Was 'Working'

The film title responsible for Yoda's speech patterns, presumably.

Went The Day Well? is a pretty daft little film and its unofficial usage as a WW2 propaganda film is obvious from its silly to-camera introduction by Mervyn Johns. A really unnecessary bit that rather tramples quite significantly on any pretensions this might have had to be regarded as a serious war film, although plenty of other stuff happens to…

• sagraham

★★★ Watched by sagraham 03 Mar, 2016

Made during WW2 but felt later.

• ArizonaJim

★★★½ Added by ArizonaJim

This film has its admirers and it is fascinating, but I can’t help thinking that its interests are largely historical, not aesthetic. A column of British soldiers enters a sleepy country village during the Second World War – from the beginning we know, although it takes the villagers some time to catch on, that the soldiers are in fact German infiltrators: they bring equipment to block British radio communications during a planned German invasion. Perhaps the most interesting thing here…

• Matthew Lawrence

★★★★ Added by Matthew Lawrence

Old movies are old. And still pretty awesome!

'Do you know what morale is? Yeah its what the wops ain't got'

Basic story, bunch of German spies disguised as a British Army Royal Engineers unit take over a small english village in 1942 to make preparations for a full German invasion. The villagers, including one Sailor on leave from the navy, the fussy woman at the big manor, two land army girls who happen to be crackshots with rifles, the…

• Andrew James

★★★★½ Watched by Andrew James 12 Feb, 2016

Most brutal and quite harrowing film. Strange that it was in production just after Pearl Harbor attack.

I love the fact that it's the women and children in this movie that take on most of the responsibility. Both in fighting, scheming as well as taking a good brunt of the lickings... but dishing them out as well (with a hatchet).

Great fantasy/war/espionage/intrigue film that turns into a siege picture.

• Mark Bushell

★★★½ Rewatched by Mark Bushell 09 Feb, 2016

great little black and white film from 1942, about German paratroopers that invade an English town, its basically the same story as The Eagle has landed, if you can find this on dvd or Blu-ray give it a watch

• Owen Greenwell

★★★★ Watched by Owen Greenwell 21 Jan, 2011

Good film considering what it is, a propaganda piece. Keep an eye out for Jerry!