• Mark C

★★★★★ Rewatched by Mark C 18 Oct, 2015 7

You don't mess with a gun toting Thora Hird!

A superb wartime propaganda piece from Ealing and a classic war film, 1942's Went The Day Well? has its origins in a Graham Greene short story entitled The Lieutenant Died Last. Published two years earlier, Greene's story concerned a village poacher and Boer War veteran, who single-handedly foils the Nazis attempt to invade a sleepy rural English village. In the hands of Ealing writers John Dighton, Diana Morgan and Angus MacPhail,…

• Paddy Hannan

★★★★★ Watched by Paddy Hannan 28 Sep, 2015

September 2015: 33 British Films I Still Haven't Seen

An "unofficial" propaganda film from Ealing. This is a taut, grim and shocking little wartime conspiracy thriller and bloody good it is too, having me completely riveted from beginning to end.
    Although they start well, the German soldiers are soon stereotyped as nothing less than brutally sadistic thugs and pure evil fuckers, synonymous with the most heinous excesses of Nazism. And of course, as does every Jerry, they soon reveal a…

• HalfEmpty

★★★★ Watched by HalfEmpty 23 Sep, 2015

The film is ruthless in its depiction of the indiscriminate nature of evil. Evil doesn't care whether its victims are kind or charming or have unfulfilled goals in life. But heroism is equally indiscriminate, not solely the domain of the brave, strong, or even functionally capable. I've never seen a movie that seemed to care less whether its characters were victims or heroes. Good and evil are simply opposite ends of opportunity.

• SJHoneywell

★★★★½ Added by SJHoneywell 2

Straight propaganda
    With British women killing
    Nazis with an axe.

• ebmsp

★★★★ Watched by ebmsp 12 Sep, 2015

Graham Greene might have the best page to screen batting average of any "literary" author. Along with The Mortal Storm (1940), it's the most effective propaganda film I've seen from the World War II era.

• Steve Longley

Added by Steve Longley

The worst movie I have ever seen. I can't believe Leonard Maltin liked this and thought it was not propaganda!

• Ryan Meyers

★★★★ Added by Ryan Meyers

A small English village bands together to thwart the plans of a group of Germans disguised as Royal Engineers. I've come to realize that nearly any Graham Greene story adapted to film is going to be a lot of fun. This British Second World War propaganda film took me aback with its plucky attitude and surprising brutality. There are execution-style killings in the film that blew me back as I am not sure I've seen anything like that in a…

• Mark Harrison

★★★★ Watched by Mark Harrison 25 Jul, 2015

"I refuse to see anything sinister in an elongated five!"

A plucky WW2 propaganda movie that pre-empts The Eagle Has Landed as well as the actual outcome of the war. It gets surprisingly violent for what it is and the narrative offers some surprising sacrifices from the likeable cast of characters.

• Col Todd

★★★★ Watched by Col Todd 06 Jul, 2015

Wartime propaganda at it's best. ..

• Dave Jackson

★★★★ Watched by Dave Jackson 28 Jun, 2015

Went the Day Well? is the best sort of war propaganda — something with a story and characters you can connect to, where its narrative comes before its message and morals. It rarely feels heavy handed. Went the Day Well? centres on a British village infiltrated by undercover German soldiers. It begins quietly, introducing the idyllic British village lifestyle where the biggest problem is the occasional poacher. But once the truth about the undercover soldiers is revealed it becomes surprisingly…

• Kerry Maxwell

★★★★ Watched by Kerry Maxwell 06 Jun, 2015

Outstanding propaganda thriller from Ealing that I found a bit unexpectedly violent. A rousing tale of Jerry infiltrating a small English village, and the residents banding together to give them what for.

• Zarban

★★★½ Watched by Zarban 25 Jan, 2015

At turns tense and darkly comical, it feels like an early Hitchcock flick. Starts light and quaint, but by the end is pulling no punches in ways Hitch wouldn't dare. Highly effective last act.