• Ryan Meyers

★★★★ Added by Ryan Meyers

A small English village bands together to thwart the plans of a group of Germans disguised as Royal Engineers. I've come to realize that nearly any Graham Greene story adapted to film is going to be a lot of fun. This British Second World War propaganda film took me aback with its plucky attitude and surprising brutality. There are execution-style killings in the film that blew me back as I am not sure I've seen anything like that in a…

• Mark Harrison

★★★★ Watched by Mark Harrison 25 Jul, 2015

"I refuse to see anything sinister in an elongated five!"

A plucky WW2 propaganda movie that pre-empts The Eagle Has Landed as well as the actual outcome of the war. It gets surprisingly violent for what it is and the narrative offers some surprising sacrifices from the likeable cast of characters.

• Col Todd

★★★★ Watched by Col Todd 06 Jul, 2015

Wartime propaganda at it's best. ..

• Dave Jackson

★★★★ Watched by Dave Jackson 28 Jun, 2015

Went the Day Well? is the best sort of war propaganda — something with a story and characters you can connect to, where its narrative comes before its message and morals. It rarely feels heavy handed. Went the Day Well? centres on a British village infiltrated by undercover German soldiers. It begins quietly, introducing the idyllic British village lifestyle where the biggest problem is the occasional poacher. But once the truth about the undercover soldiers is revealed it becomes surprisingly…

• Kerry Maxwell

★★★★ Watched by Kerry Maxwell 06 Jun, 2015

Outstanding propaganda thriller from Ealing that I found a bit unexpectedly violent. A rousing tale of Jerry infiltrating a small English village, and the residents banding together to give them what for.

• Zarban

★★★½ Watched by Zarban 25 Jan, 2015

At turns tense and darkly comical, it feels like an early Hitchcock flick. Starts light and quaint, but by the end is pulling no punches in ways Hitch wouldn't dare. Highly effective last act.

• BrianLinn

★★★ Watched by BrianLinn 07 Jan, 2015

“Went the Day Well?” is an incredibly confusing title, but an effective little thriller that would make an interesting remake. A small village in the English countryside is overrun by undercover Nazi soldiers who are impersonating British reservists. The Germans do a good job playing their roles, but as the film continues, small cracks begin to occur in their plan. Soon the villagers are suspecting that these soldiers are more than they let on.

I watched this film via the…

• Michael Smith

Watched by Michael Smith 25 Nov, 2014

In Yoda's directorial début, a small British village is taken hostage by HYDRA soldiers. The propaganda is real. The sacrifices are crazy. The siege is enjoyable. The film is pretty great.

• Peter Valerio

★★★★ Watched by Peter Valerio 31 Aug, 2014

German paratroopers, disguised as British soldiers, take over a small British town to prepare for an invasion. The townsfolk give Jerry what for. A slice of wartime propaganda from Ealing studios.

• Cliff

★★★ Watched by Cliff 28 Aug, 2014

Clipped consonants from the adults and gorblimeying from the children make this 1942 wartime classic inherently amusing, though - despite coming from Ealing Studios - this is not a comedy. It is a rather lively romp, however, as the jolly on-screen narrator who introduces the story will lead you to expect. It's about the fictitious Nazi invasion of a sleepy English village, the Germans cunningly disguised as a British squadron on manoeuvres. It only takes about 30 minutes of running…

• trolleyfreak

★★★★★ Added by trolleyfreak

Alongside Hamer's It Always Rains On Sunday, this wartime thriller based on a Graham Greene short story has to be one of the very best non-comedy films Ealing ever made. Brazilian-born Cavalcanti is in the director's chair to give an outsider's view of how an idyllic English village pulls together to repel an invading troop of German soldiers. Surprisingly tough and unsentimental, this gripping drama is a must-see..

• teamzizzou

★★★★ Watched by teamzizzou 21 May, 2014

Hugely enjoyable World War 2 thriller.Comes over abit 'jolly hockey sticks' at times but there was a couple of moments that surprised me.Perfectly paced, this Graham Green short story adaptation had me enthralled throughout.