• Dave Holmes

★★★★ Added by Dave Holmes

Saw this one in a hotel room in Makati. Rich on every level, very original and substantial, very sad in parts and without the typical redemptive arcs that most stories have - thus a lot more like life itself or adolescent poetry than a typical kids fairytale story. Locations and costumes and music and voice acting are all exquisite, fresh. Open to lots of interpretation and gloriously unlike anything I've seen. Pretty glum though.

• Felipe Machado

★★★ Watched by Felipe Machado 05 Oct, 2015

• micah1984

★★★½ Watched by micah1984 04 Oct, 2015

It's Beautiful to look at. Doesn't quite accomplish the same thing as the book does, but it gave a very good effort. The beginning is absolutely captivating, and even though it loses steam about half way through, the end is also terrific. Carol crying was a great moment. I think the movie works on some levels and really tried on others, so in my book it did pretty well. There is something to say, however, about the natural ambiguity in the book that wasn't and couldn't be present in the movie because it's a movie. The medium is different and so is the meaning.

• Dennie van der Tuuk

★★★★½ Rewatched by Dennie van der Tuuk 27 Sep, 2015

Jonze directs a beautiful story of a broken youth in a very mature way. Jonze really gets the isolation some kids go through. Great done in the first scenes where Max plays with his dog and in the snow all alone. The coming of a man in his life and his mother's is very hard to deal with. So he leaves for a magical place inhabited by large creatures. The design of the movie is really a work of brilliance.…

• Ainhoa

★★★★½ Rewatched by Ainhoa 25 Sep, 2015

Vi esta peli cuando salió, y no fue como me esperaba. Me aburrió mucho pero en el fondo sabía que no estaba siendo justa con ella y sabía que pasados unos años iba a valorarla de otra forma. Y aquí estoy, emocionada perdida. Es preciosa <3

Gandolfini, tú tampoco te tenías que haber muerto nunca :(

• bulletproofQpid

★★★ Watched by bulletproofQpid 20 Sep, 2015

I had a hard time getting into Where the Wild Things Are, but warmed up to it a bit as Max romped around with the Wild Things. Even then, real world problems shook things up and soured it all, but the production design is amazing like all of Spike's films.

• Jack Gregson

★★★★ Rewatched by Jack Gregson 20 Sep, 2015

This is probably Spike Jonze worst film. That being said, it's still a masterpiece.

• Cavin Hawkins

★★★ Watched by Cavin Hawkins 19 Sep, 2015 1

A film about childhood. I feel like you either dock this movie for its lack of a plot, or you give it praise for its imaginative story. In my opinion, in no way is this a perfect film. Still, it captures childhood in a special way that leaves me with a good feeling when it ends.

• griddlecakes

★★★★ Rewatched by griddlecakes 22 Jan, 2015

• Patrick Jensen

★★★★½ Watched by Patrick Jensen 19 Sep, 2015

Spike Jonze is a director I am a huge fan of. I'm not just referring to his feature-length films, as Adaptation and Her are among my all-time favorite films, but also his music videos, of which I can mention the videos for Fatboy Slim's "Weapon of Choice", Pharcyde's "Drop" and Daft Punk's "Da Funk" among my favorites. So yeah, I am biased in this review, and my excitement will not end, as Where the Wild Things are is an excellent…

• wildestpenfield

★★★ Added by wildestpenfield

I'm not sure that the answer to adapting a really short book with no plot to speak of is to make a really long film with no plot to speak of.

I could have done without the pointless hipster cameos too (I'm looking at you, Mark Ruffalo... for at least the 30 seconds you were onscreen).

• Brian McGovern

★★★★½ Rewatched by Brian McGovern 17 Sep, 2015

Brings out the kid in all of us.