• JP Ocampo

★★★★ Watched by JP Ocampo 31 Jul, 2015

Knowing the source material, I had always wondered, with some skepticism, how Jonze could have squeezed out a full feature from the short book which I read so many times as a child, but now having seen the film I can rest assured that the material was used in the best way possible. The result is a wondrous piece, charged with childish energy, that looks good, using the sun's golden tone for a number of scenes, and which takes a…

• Brendan Edwards

★★★★½ Watched by Brendan Edwards 30 Jul, 2015

Don't really know what to say about this film, i was just blown away by its adventurous and playful and yet moody life of both children but also grownup beasts. It a beautiful film that really affected me and even took me by surprise emotionally.

• Neil Estep

★★★ Watched by Neil Estep 26 Jul, 2015

The message is heavy handed, but it's a powerful one: If we don't want to live alone, we can't possibly get everything we want.

• Jordan

★★★★½ Watched by Jordan 27 Jul, 2015

Did not expect what I got with this film. It's kind of amazing that Spike Jonze can take a beloved children's book and turn it into this artsy and very moody film. It's very interesting and I think I need to see it again to be able to judge it properly.

• Sean Klaus

★★★★★ Added by Sean Klaus

Emotionally gripping, raw, imaginative, and exceptional all around, "Where the Wild Things Are" is a beautiful and extremely accurate depiction of the psychology of a child's mind, with stunning cinematography, brilliant writing, an original soundtrack, the best child performance of all time by Max Records, and meticulous, amazing direction. Spike Jonze's best film.

• miranda B~)

★★★★ Added by miranda B~)

i love alexander i wish this film had more of him in it

• Jorge Carrillo

★★★★ Watched by Jorge Carrillo 21 Jul, 2015

Karen O para mis viajes en barco.

• t2kickassjedi

★★★★½ Added by t2kickassjedi

Where the Wild Things Are is a pretty well done film. The characters are lovable and the film is really sad.

• chill007

★★★★★ Added by chill007

A stunning movie, breathing taking in the best way possible!

• freeheelpete

★★½ Watched by freeheelpete 07 Jun, 2011

What was the point? What did Max or the audience get out of it?

Didn't have the reassuring taming of monsters of the original book. In fact, the monsters were decidedly sinister.

Technically very good in terms of puppetry, locations and cinematography.

• Carl

★★★★ Watched by Carl 18 Jul, 2015

Spike Jonze has a very small directorial filmography (not including some of his shorts and documentaries) and I thought I would finish it, starting with Where the Wild Things Are. I really liked Being John Malkovich, and Her is phenomenal, and going into this film from what I heard, this might be his weakest movie. I haven’t read the children’s book that was adapted, just by looking at the poster it looks like a very weird, but interesting film. I’ve…

• Audiences Everywhere

★★★★ Added by Audiences Everywhere

"Kurt Vonnegut once said: “The function of the artist is to make people like life better than they have before.” If Mr. Vonnegut’s assertion also works as a standard measurement for directors, then Spike Jonze may be the best filmmaker working today."

Read David Shreve's full review here.