• Josh Allen

★★★★★ Watched by Josh Allen 20 Sep, 2014 2

"I'm not a viking or a king."
    "What are you then?"
    "I'm Max."
    "Well that's not very much is it."

My Mother has always said that the purpose of growing up, is to teach a child empathy for other human beings. When you were a baby, you cared about no one but yourself, but as you grew older, you gradually learned how to empathize with other people. It is a journey we are all still travelling, but one that began…

• Michael Bihari

★★★★½ Watched by Michael Bihari 16 Sep, 2014

A dark rendering of the very popular children's book. The film is beautifully shot and the "wild things" are perfectly costumed. The dialogue is wonderfully delivered by a group of well-known actors who transform the characters into believable creatures. I especially liked James Gandolfini as Carol.

• Harry Lime

Watched by Harry Lime 14 Sep, 2014

Got this movie for the kids and watched along, so as it turned out I started off on the wrong foot. But as the mood and the soundtrack sucked me in, I ended up liking this adaptation. Very much. Remember how you felt after watching Toy Story 3... That's right. A highly underrated production.

• Katy

★★½ Added by Katy

Visually the film delivers on so many levels as well as the soundtrack. And, I appreciate Jonze's loose cinematography, but the imbalance of the layered story and its expression made me continually frustrated and unfulfilled. Max's escapism is as complicated and morose as his real life. What might've felt like a kid going into his backyard and dreaming up animals and places to get away from home - something we've all done growing up - becomes more of a kid…

• Carlos Rodríguez

★★★½ Watched by Carlos Rodríguez 15 Aug, 2010

Radically different from his first two feature-length directorial efforts and his first without the support of screenwriter Charlie Kaufman, Spike Jonze's Where the Wild Things Are is a really dark children's movie that was somewhat uneven in certain parts, but it was ultimately satisfying thanks to child actor Max Records' stunning lead performance and to its stunning visuals.

• jimmystakadugan

★★★ Watched by jimmystakadugan 11 Sep, 2014

Se queda un poco a medias la verdad. Demasiado aburrida para niños y poco profunda para adultos. Pero aun asi se nota el toque indie del tio Spike

• Colin

★★★★★ Watched by Colin 06 Sep, 2014

This movie is about building a fort where anything is possible, until feelings get hurt. That’s as sad and accurate a metaphor for growing up as I can think of, but it manages not to veer into melancholia, like Wes Anderson would. Jonze has made fewer movies, but I think I like him even more than Anderson.

It’s impressive that they solved not just the technical challenges but also how to adapt the book in a way that worked as a drama film.

• Windyblue

★★½ Added by Windyblue

I like how in the book the Wild Things weren't male or female, because they didn't need voice actors. To hear them masculinized and feminized is corrupting to my enjoyment.

• robert_holly

★★★ Added by robert_holly

Imaginative, wild, and spooky. But feels dull.

• Omar Arteaga

★★★½ Watched by Omar Arteaga 28 Aug, 2014

Con diez años menos hubiera tenido pesadillas todos los días y en el camino se hubiera convertido en mi película favorita aunque no entendiera nada.

Bonita fotografía, memorable soundtrack, buenos acting voice y convincente interpretación de Max Records. Dentro de todo me gustó el tono y la visión de Jonze pero hubo algo que al final no me terminó de convencer.

"Happiness isn't always the best way to be happy"

• FilmEgg

★★★★½ Rewatched by FilmEgg 25 Aug, 2014

One of the best films I've seen about that captures so beautifully the madness, wildness and multiplicity of personality there is in being a child...actually maybe it's the madness and wildness of simply being alive!

• Matt Heiser

★★½ Added by Matt Heiser

I admire the effort, but it just feels a little flat to me. I also don't see kids getting into this much. It's a nice try on trying to show a movie from a kid's perspective, but just didn't resonate with me.