• Brett the Wiese

★★★★ Watched by Brett the Wiese 22 Apr, 2016

This movie'll hit you in the feels if you aren't careful. Jonze and company are not making a typical "kids movie" as much as it is a movie about childhood, a la what Linklater did with Boyhood.

Gandolfini, Dano, and Whitaker are downright inspiring in their roles, as are the rest of the cast, including a truly heartfelt and complex turn by Lauren Ambrose as the 'loner', KW. Beautiful designs and an understanding of the inner workings of imagination made this film an experience I'm glad to have had.

• Josh Needle

★★★★ Rewatched by Josh Needle 02 May, 2016

If you ask many people about this movie, they'll tell you it's disturbing and bizarre and not a good kids movie, and they're (partially) right, because it's not a kids movie, it's a movie about kids and childhood. Where the Wild Things Are is not at all what people were expecting when sitting down to watch an adaptation of one of the most beloved children's book ever written. What it is, however, is an emotionally compelling and fascinating tale of…

• James Mackey

★★★★½ Added by James Mackey

Spike Jonze is a filmmaker who operates on emotion and human instinct, and it shows here. This is one of few films to realistically encapsulate what it felt like for me being a child. Furthermore, Jonze doesn't pull any punches, allowing his characters to realize that real life and real relationships aren't perfect. Two films in and Spike Jonze continues to floor me with his comprehension of human emotion. Any flaws this film may have are nullified by Jonze's ability to speak to my heart.

• ChadS101

★★ Watched by ChadS101 25 Apr, 2016

Week 32 - Letterboxd Season Challenge 2015-16 - Lord Cookie Week

I just didn't get it. Was a lesson learned by anyone? Did the experience make the boy grow? I'm at a lost.

PS: This is my last entry for the Letterbox Season Challenge 2015-16 and I really enjoyed it. Looking forward to next year.

• Capra_cinefila

★★★ Added by Capra_cinefila

Tenera fiabona di formazione, dal notevole retrogusto nostalgico (soprattutto per chi non è più infante), che scantona sempre un attimo prima del pericoloso incrocio zuccheroso/patetico che spesso governa il centro nevralgico di opere di questo genere. Le incredibili creature sono la proiezione delle diverse sfaccettature caratteriali del piccolo (e un po' odioso e pretenzioso,a dire il vero) protagonista. Finale dolcissimo, sommesso ed efficace. Sonoro e colonna sono da lucciconi.

• John McAmis

Rewatched by John McAmis 26 Apr, 2016

Just wanna personally thank Spike Jonze and his incredible team of artists for this beautiful piece of cinema.

I don't care if you're a kid. I don't care if you're a big hairy animal. I don't care if you're a mom or a sibling. Everyone, from anywhere, can relate to the emotions in this movie. Selfishness. Exclusion. Anger. Deceit. Compassion. Confusion. Friendship. Love. Forgiveness.

God I'm glad this movie exists.

• Mattias Eriksson

★★★ Watched by Mattias Eriksson 24 Apr, 2016

I kind of liked this movie. I enjoyed the visuals and the creature designs a lot. The kid was passable, sometimes really annoying and other times rather good. I like Spike Jonze, and the script does have brilliant parts, but it's a bit underwhelming overall.

• Alec Hendrickson

★★★★ Rewatched by Alec Hendrickson 24 Apr, 2016

Where the Wild Things Are holds a special place in my heart. I love how and according to everyone else on letterbox this film is about kids not exactly for them I agree. I think everyone relates to the main character through our childhood Max just doesn't know where he fits in. Childhood is hard but amazing fun and you had to figure out who you are. The film explores the theme perfectly. It has a lot to say about…

• Aaron Martin

★★★★ Watched by Aaron Martin 21 Apr, 2016

A rambunctious and unruly dream that really has a lot of smart things to say about loneliness and how we can are shaped by our emotions and neuroses, whether positively or negatively.

The movie is gorgeous and is really deliberate in the interactions Max has with each of these creatures. They've existed far longer than Max has in this world, but that in no way makes them 'the adults'. They act as petulant as times as the young boy does, while also having flashes of true intellectual and social brilliance that we can sometimes find in children as well.

• Stephen Jacobson

★★ Watched by Stephen Jacobson 21 Apr, 2016

I honestly cannot understand why this movie is so popular. I found the main boy annoying and he comes to meet a lot of creatures who are just as annoying and bratty. Then all of a sudden everyone realizes that they love each other and are not so damn annoying. Way too much character development happened way too quickly.

• NatalieKae

★★★★★ Watched by NatalieKae 19 Apr, 2016

Spoilers are not really huge spoilers, but I am going to talk about some of the plot line so figured it was a fair warning.
    Let's continue.
    I'll start with this:
    I was not emotionally ready for this.
    Wow. What a beautiful, almost disturbing insight into the mind of a child- a child who will be very relatable for many (including myself personally). The amount of innocence that is displayed from Max and The Wild Things, while also incorporating a…

• Daniel Charchuk

★★★★ Watched by Daniel Charchuk 09 Nov, 2009

A pure kid's film, bursting with creativity and imagination and whimsy.