• joelhwa

½ Watched by joelhwa 25 Feb, 2014

1/10: Feel asleep halfway through the movie...just not my cup of tea...

• Almasa Pecanin

★★★★ Watched by Almasa Pecanin 04 Dec, 2014

Spike Jonze is brilliant, but I'm sure we all know that by now.

In short, I was swept away by the beautiful portrayal of the wonder of a child's imagination. The gorgeous visuals and the lovely score by Karen O contributed greatly to the film which was tugging on my heart strings several times while I was watching. Couldn't have imagined a better adaptation of the book!

• Naomi Saffron

★★ Added by Naomi Saffron

Where the Wild Things Are doesn't need much of an introduction. An adaptation of the classic children's book by Maurice Sendak, it tells the story of Max, a troubled boy who, after an argument with his mother, transports himself to a magical land of friendly monsters where he is king. After playing around on his make-believe island for a while, Max learns some lessons about the importance of love and compromise and returns home to his worried mother with a…

• JPC

★★ Watched by JPC 30 Nov, 2014

Menuda turra de película.

• DirkH

★★★★★ Rewatched by DirkH 29 Nov, 2014 42

Today my four year old son got his first Lego set. It was an Arctic Explorer's snow mobile.

With eager anticipation we opened the package together and spread out all the pieces. My annoying adult instincts immediately took over, making me reach for the instructions.

So we started building and after correcting him three times he said: 'Dad, I want to build it'. I looked at him, saw the ten million possibilities in his eyes that weren't in the instructions…

• Michael Little

★★★★ Watched by Michael Little 29 Nov, 2014

"I don't like frozen corn"

Where the Wild Things Are is surprisingly deep and even at times pretty dark. I really enjoyed this film. It's beautiful to look at especially when you want to absorb the beauty of the creatures. The soundtrack was the main reason I enjoyed this film so much, Karen O's tunes work so well throughout and gave it a real modern edge. Spike Jonze is the man.

• Daniel Aaron Wolfe

★★★★ Watched by Daniel Aaron Wolfe 25 Nov, 2014

If there is one thing about my childhood I miss, it's imagination. Films like this give it back, if only for a time.

• Matthew Wooldridge

★½ Watched by Matthew Wooldridge 30 Dec, 2009

I was almost bored to tears with this movie. I say 'almost', because tears did not actually fall from my eyes from boredom, though they nearly did. I’ve never read the book, but I’m sure it's better than the movie, something that really should have been turned into a short film. I really wish there was a forum for big budget short films, but there isn't. Would have been great to have three short films based on children’s books and…

• MovieMan23

★★★★ Added by MovieMan23

An underrated drama, very well-made.

• Josiah Morgan

★★★★½ Added by Josiah Morgan 2

I haven't reviewed Where the Wild Things Are yet, but I think it's time. The thing is... what words do I conjure to describe the religious experience this film is?

I think instead, I will provide you with the lyrics to the song Bears by The Antlers. It fits this film, I think:

There’s a bear inside your stomach,
    A cub’s been kicking you for weeks,
    And if this isn’t all a dream,
    Well then we’ll cut him from beneath.…

• Karen Ceja

★★★ Added by Karen Ceja

La película es muy buena, pero mis estrellas demuestran mi desagrado. No me gustó la actuación del tal Max ni tampoco el personaje como tal.

Sé que no es una historia para niños, y que tampoco es la clásica historia en donde pasan cosas demasiado predecibles.

Me gustó que no existiera ninguna explicación y que, como lo habíamos adivinado, se formara un vínculo entre todos.

Creo que mi tolerancia a las películas que implican situaciones mentales emocionales difíciles baja demasiado cuando estoy de viaje, jaja.

• MuntazirQasim

★★★½ Watched by MuntazirQasim 17 Nov, 2014 3

If only lying was this easy in real life. Max manages to convince half a dozen people that he is a king with super powers and a double re-cracker in 10 seconds flat. Meanwhile, I have to come up with a bloody monologue just to convince someone that my favourite colour is orange. Also Max is a sucky king. He needs to be more like David Cameron and make tough decisions that nobody likes.