• Josiah Morgan

★★★★½ Added by Josiah Morgan 2

I haven't reviewed Where the Wild Things Are yet, but I think it's time. The thing is... what words do I conjure to describe the religious experience this film is?

I think instead, I will provide you with the lyrics to the song Bears by The Antlers. It fits this film, I think:

There’s a bear inside your stomach,
    A cub’s been kicking you for weeks,
    And if this isn’t all a dream,
    Well then we’ll cut him from beneath.…

• Karen Ceja

★★★ Added by Karen Ceja

La película es muy buena, pero mis estrellas demuestran mi desagrado. No me gustó la actuación del tal Max ni tampoco el personaje como tal.

Sé que no es una historia para niños, y que tampoco es la clásica historia en donde pasan cosas demasiado predecibles.

Me gustó que no existiera ninguna explicación y que, como lo habíamos adivinado, se formara un vínculo entre todos.

Creo que mi tolerancia a las películas que implican situaciones mentales emocionales difíciles baja demasiado cuando estoy de viaje, jaja.

• MuntazirQasim

★★★½ Watched by MuntazirQasim 17 Nov, 2014 3

If only lying was this easy in real life. Max manages to convince half a dozen people that he is a king with super powers and a double re-cracker in 10 seconds flat. Meanwhile, I have to come up with a bloody monologue just to convince someone that my favourite colour is orange. Also Max is a sucky king. He needs to be more like David Cameron and make tough decisions that nobody likes.

• Signora Fosca

★★★★★ Watched by Signora Fosca 19 Dec, 2013

In an age of shallow adaptation, cheap knockoffs and labored franchises dominating the cinema, how on Earth did we ever get a movie with such grace, complexity, and overwhelming beauty as this? Spike Jonze's ode to childhood and all the wonderful and terrible and puzzling emotions that accompany is a masterpiece in the purest form and asserts Jonze as what could probably end up being the singular storyteller of our generation.

Of course Maurice Sendak produced it; he's an artist…

• Mike Hricik

★★½ Watched by Mike Hricik 11 Nov, 2014

Shooting on Where the Wild Things Are coincided with the release of M83's Saturdays = Youth. The acclaimed album is a similarly wistful, nostalgic examination of pre-teen heartache filtered through the perspective of adult hipsters. Its cover artwork features adolescents in Urban Outfitters apparel, as well as a young girl wearing a hat with fox-like ears, similar to Maurice Sendak's Max. The works of both Spike Jonze and Anthony Gonzalez left me somewhat discontented because they depict childhood at such…

• Adrian Zachow

★★ Watched by Adrian Zachow 20 Feb, 2010

Kinetic cinematography, and amazing creature design feature in this film, where troubled boy Max ends up in an island after a family spat, inhabitted by creatures who declare him king. All characters are fragments and reflections of his tortured personality, and as a consequence the film is surprisingly dark, angry, and mean spirited - not really for young kids. Tedium sets in quickly, as the rambling plot lacks a sense of direction, often almost randomly or on impulse changing tone.…

• Paula Saraiva

½ Added by Paula Saraiva

ZzZzZzZ

• Steve Rogers

★★ Watched by Steve Rogers 24 Nov, 2009

Excellent visuals, but lacked "heart".

• Sherminator101

½ Added by Sherminator101

The most depressing movie in the world!

• Chriskr

½ Added by Chriskr

An awful, spoiled child behaves rudely before running away from home. He visits a land of wild beasts where he continues to act like a brat. Eventually he returns home with no consequences to his actions.

• Rootbean

★½ Rewatched by Rootbean 23 Oct, 2014 2

I thought we were gonna sleep in a real pile?

First time I watched this I thought it were real horosho. Then I heard this phenomenon of not liking it upon second watch because of this punk ass lil bitch playing Max. Upon my second watch I was consumed by how much of an irritating little sumbitch Max was, and found myself unable to enjoy the film.

No bueno.

Spike Jonze is also far too soppy for me. And the film is quite boring.

Again, no bueno.

• McMac Henry

★★ Added by McMac Henry

fucked up a perfectly horrible kids book