• schmone

★★½ Watched by schmone 27 Jul, 2014

I really don't know.
    I did not read the book when I was little. I feel like this movie tries to be childish but it not for children.
    Also shaky camera and sometimes I just did not recognize what they where trying to show me on screen.
    Other than that. The setting is beautiful and quite magical.

• Kev.

★★★★ Watched by Kev. 23 Jul, 2014

"I have a sadness shield that keeps out all the sadness, and it's big enough for all of us!"

I went into Where the Wild Things Are with almost zero expectations. Yes, I had read the book, but I was so young and it was so long ago that I couldn't remember any details. All I knew is that Spike Jonze was directing it, and that was enough for me.

Well, I've gotta tell ya, I really liked this one.…

• Chris Milne

★★★½ Rewatched by Chris Milne 20 Jul, 2014

My love of Her inspired me to rematch this film, having seen it at the cinema back when it was released.

I enjoyed it basically as much as I remember. The story is okay, but not too compelling for me. I cared for Max, but found many of the wild things personalities to be too scattered and indistinguishable. I guess that's because they're "wild things". The soundtrack, costumes, and cinematography really save the film though. There are amazing sequences and some really touching moments.

All in all, I enjoyed it, but didn't love it.

• Evan

★★★★★ Watched by Evan 01 Dec, 2012

Was expecting a kids film, but was pleasantly surprised by this about childhood.

• Zack Ford

★★★★★ Rewatched by Zack Ford 16 Jul, 2014

I have not seen Where the Wild Things Are since it came out. Maybe it was because I was entering with the insurmountable expectations I carried with me, but I was slightly annoyed and disappointed the first time. I would have given it maybe a 7 out 10. This viewing, I had a whole different experience. I was able to fully fall into the world of unsubtly sad and youthful monsters, and realize this film as a perfect grasp of…

• Hannah M

★★½ Watched by Hannah M 14 Jul, 2014

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

• guilheotavio

★★★★★ Added by guilheotavio

This is my absolute favorite movie <3 It's about everybody's monster inside, the anger and the hard feelings and I really love that they tell this sweet storie in a simple manner. It's so touching! Love, love, love <3

• mharbour

★★★★ Watched by mharbour 18 Nov, 2009

Dark, violent, disturbing, ambiguous. All the things you want in a kids' movie.

OK - so not really a kids movie. What do you really expect from Spike Jonze? This is a masterful expansion of the story; beautifully realized, with lots to chew on for the thoughtful viewer.

• José Palacios

★★★½ Watched by José Palacios 07 Jul, 2014

Max: Carol, did you know the sun was gonna die?
    Carol: What? I never heard that. Oh, come on. That can't happen. I mean you're the king, and look at me, I'm big! how can guys like us worry about a tiny little thing like the sun?

• Rachel

★★★★ Watched by Rachel 06 Jul, 2014

A charming film about a boy (Max Records) who finds himself in a land inhabited by Wild Things. I don't think it works perfectly as a kids' film (the Wild Things could be a bit scary) but I really really liked this one, the direction is superb as expected from Spike Jonze and the Wild Things all have distinct and lovable personalities. It's one you should definitely watch, but maybe not with the kids.

• Andrew Swafford

Added by Andrew Swafford

One of the most underrated "children's" films of all time, Where the Wild Things Are is an uncanny portrayal of boyhood--both good and bad--as well as an exploration of how familial relationships work and how to reconcile one's own inner emotional conflicts. It also looks gorgeous and features an amazing lead performance by Max Records. The layer of existential dread about cosmic death doesn't hurt either.

• guynova

Added by guynova

childhood epitome portrayed on the big screen