• Nick Doucet

★★★½ Watched by Nick Doucet 27 Aug, 2015

A great representation of what it feels like to be angry and lonely as a child. But more importantly, it shows how easy it is to hurt the people you care about. The pacing was a bit off but it's intentions were pure. This is the definition of a movie with a heart of gold.

• Josh

★★★★½ Rewatched by Josh 27 Aug, 2015

★★★★½ (90%)

Fuck. I'm basically Max, but 18.

• Jayce Fryman

★★★★½ Watched by Jayce Fryman 20 Aug, 2015

This is a film I have been meaning to watch for a while, and finally got around to it. I had heard some negative things on this film, but I have to say, overall, for having a children's book with not a ton of words as source material, this film does a great job in adapting the story for film. All of the characters look exactly like they are portrayed in the book, and the child who plays Max does…

• mfulton

★★★★ Added by mfulton

B+

• Panta Oz

★★★½ Added by Panta Oz

Making a movie from a children books or stories is not easy... and making a long movie is even harder! But Spike Jonze did it and did it well with a help of young Max Records and his refreshingly acted character. It seems to me that he managed to transfer that active imagination to each one of us in the cinema... My problem was the dark tone of the movie, but the book was like that as well, so I can't blame the director...

• Bridger_Wingate

★★★★ Watched by Bridger_Wingate 19 Aug, 2015 1

A dark, mature adaptation of one of the most well known children's books of all time, Where the Wild Things Are is a wondrous, imaginative, and very technically great adaptation.

The film centers around Max. A nine-year-old boy whose parents are divorced and his sister hangs around a bunch of dumb boys. Max doesn't really fit in with his sister or his own mother, and he always seems to be his own aggressive, energetic, entity who tries his hardest to…

• David Gutierrez

★★ Watched by David Gutierrez 20 Jul, 2015

Please, if you're going to make a movie with uninteresting, flat, almost unidentifiable cartoonish "monster" characters, some of which dramatically change their mood without any reason, and that only serve to justify a dumb backstory theoretically about maduration that is actually a big analogy about nothing, at least make the monsters look good.
    The monsters in Where the Wild Things Are look horrible.

• whukk

★★★★½ Watched by whukk 12 Aug, 2015

A lovely film, with a heart. I wished it could go on and on, and from time to time I laughed out loud because I felt the joy of childhood captured in this movie.

• eXtreme eVolution

★★★½ Watched by eXtreme eVolution 10 Aug, 2015

An unsettling and introspective look at human mentality and behaviour. You will sympathise with Max and the wild things, even if some look like blown-up plush toys or a hybrid of animals (including a blobfish).

Once is enough. My heart cannot take any more depressing stories.

• Ido

★★½ Watched by Ido 04 Aug, 2015

the backstory is dumb.

• Roy Shtayim 👼

★★★★ Rewatched by Roy Shtayim 👼 04 Aug, 2015

One of the very few films that successfully captures the true essence of childhood.

• emma

★★★½ Added by emma

spike jonze is a fucking infant