• Pajamabanana

★★★½ Watched by Pajamabanana 22 Sep, 2014

Yay:

+ Lawrence is good, Hawkes is great.

+ Liked some of the lesser characters and settings for smaller scenes, like the singing birthday party.

Nay:

- The first half hour is pretty much wasted. The points could have been made without following Ree around to what seems to be her neighbours (there is no sense of geography/scale to her walk).

- The cinematographer clearly want us to see Ree's run-down, backwards surroundings - so how about a wide shot…

• LiteYear

★★★ Watched by LiteYear 21 Sep, 2014

• Adam Cadre

★★½ Watched by Adam Cadre 25 Sep, 2011

• Carlos Rodríguez

★★★½ Watched by Carlos Rodríguez 21 Feb, 2011

There are two absolutely great things in Winter's Bone: the magnificently mysterious and grim atmosphere created by director Debra Granik and the inspiredly powerful performance by Jennifer Lawrence. The film has a great look and the premise is great, but for some reason it lacked self-confidence, the one all good movies require in order to stand above the rest and become great. Also, I didn't like much the somewhat ambiguous ending. However, despite the fact that it was a bit flawed, this was an entertaining and absorbing film.

• Cole_Ratcliff

★★★★ Watched by Cole_Ratcliff 18 Jul, 2014

B+ (89)

• Kip Bowman Jr.

★★★★ Watched by Kip Bowman Jr. 09 Sep, 2014

• Ollie

★★★★ Watched by Ollie 10 Sep, 2014

Solid. Well acted. Worth a watch.

• Knox Gray

★★★★★ Added by Knox Gray

A dark tale of Americana, also Jennifer Lawrence's best performance.

• Rhys Bowen Jones

★★½ Watched by Rhys Bowen Jones 03 Sep, 2014

Ultimately disappointing. I went into this not knowing what to expect apart from Jennifer Lawrence and I have come out of it just kind of bored. JLaw is great, as always, and it's a strange little environment the film has, but the film just meanders along with no great purpose and any of the big reveals were not at all surprising. I don't know, maybe I wasn't in the right frame of mind for this today, but it just didn't quite work for me.

• Joe Bloggs

Watched by Joe Bloggs 21 Jan, 2010

Never, Never, Never Give In!

• Liam Fogarty

★★★ Watched by Liam Fogarty 02 Sep, 2014

Winter's Bone is that film that was nominated for Best Picture a couple of years back that no one actually saw, now that we're a couple of years down the road, does Winter's Bone still remain relevant as it did when it was freshly conceived?

Well it stars everyone's favourite Google Search from yesterday Jennifer Lawrence (it was either that or I start the review with a Winter's Boner pun, II think the one I went with is more tasteful)…

• Neil