• Ben Trout

★★★★ Watched by Ben Trout 17 Oct, 2010

Atmosphere is king. I could have watched the unfolding of everyday life among the Ozark tweekers until my teeth fell out. This eerie, bubbling cauldron of confused family loyalties, rampant meth addiction, abject poverty, survival instinct and backwoods tradition could have-in my estimation-supported nearly any narrative arc tossed its way. As it is, Granik's tale of a young woman's quest to produce physical proof of her father's whereabouts in order to retain her family's home (and support her siblings and…

• Craig Lowe

★★★★ Watched by Craig Lowe 21 Dec, 2014

Finally caught up with this one and it was definitely worth the wait. Its a dark and desperate story of a teenager assuming resonsibilities way beyond her years as she attempts to find her bail skipping father in n effort to avoid losing the family home. With the sole responsibility for her two younger siblings and somewhat catatonic mother in her hands Jennifer Lawrence gives a career defining performance of the tenacious and increasingly desperate 17 year old. The deeper we go the higher the stakes get and the more we find lurking under the surface of the rural Missouri setting.

• theleopard

★★★½ Watched by theleopard 17 Dec, 2014

A western without gun, Winter's bone tells the story of a young girl, with the weight of the world on her shoulder,who has to find her dad dead or alive if she were to keep her property and family intact.

It features a breakout performance by Jennifer Lawrence. I have a feeling that's how it will be remember as, and nothing else

• Jack McPherson

★★ Rewatched by Jack McPherson 17 Dec, 2014

I know that I am in the minority, but I have always found this film boring. The script is undercooked and the complications it posits never gel into any meaningful tension. Therefore the film hangs on Lawrence's performance, which isn't the revelation for me that it seems to be for others. Bright spots include the cinematography, which approaches the lyrical nature of a David Gordon Green film, and John Hawkes supporting performance but neither are sufficient for me to supply anything more than a passing grade.

• Dirk van Eck

★★½ Watched by Dirk van Eck 14 Dec, 2014 2

Fourth watch of Buddy the Elf. In 2010, Jennifer Lawrence broke through, with what probably still stands as her most acclaimed performance, as Ozark Mountain girl Ree in Winter’s Bone. It seems as if every movie featuring her since then has been a smash-hit, either at the box-offices or at (Oscar) awards (or both). But it all began as Ree: the seventeen years old who lives her life in a though social (and physical) environment, filled with ‘simple’ folks, violent…

• leahbee123

★★★½ Added by leahbee123

I didn't get the critical acclaim for this film. Maybe I need to watch it again.

• Andrew Dodderidge

★★★★★ Watched by Andrew Dodderidge 14 Dec, 2014

Teardrop: You get the taste for it yet?
    Ree: Not so far.

The thing about "Winter's Bone" is that it always stays true. It is in a word...perfect, coming from director Debra Granik. It works on so many levels, that if you don't like the drug culture, it is okay. This strives as a drug mystery, a character study, and even a documentary due to its massive depictions.

A description is in order here: Ree Dolly (oh man, what an…

• CineFreakDude

★★★★½ Watched by CineFreakDude 13 Dec, 2014

Winter’s Bone is a masterstroke of independent filmmaking; a clear, bold and excitingly genuine voice in recent American cinema. While many have acclaimed film for its unflinching, honest portrayal of hardships in the Ozarks, what I feel is most brave about the writing and Debra Granik’s direction is the trust in the power of subtly, nuance and of real characters. There’s nothing sensationalized here, and even though this story could lend itself to just that, it is built at a…

• joelhwa

★★ Watched by joelhwa 01 Mar, 2011

4/10: An overrated Oscar nominee for best picture. It only gets interesting towards the end, the last 15mins. Other than that, it's a bore-fest.

• Jerry Downing

★★★★ Rewatched by Jerry Downing 11 Dec, 2014 1

Saw this once before and I'm happy to revisit now that I'm a bigger fan of Jennifer Lawrence. I still think she's pretty great in this but this time around it was John Hawkes who really stood out to me. I always loved his character in From Dusk Till Dawn but that was all I really remember him from. Thought he did a really great job.

• Anxious77

★★★★½ Added by Anxious77

I sat down to watch this movie, honestly, not exactly knowing what to expect or even what it was about in detail. I knew a few minutes into it, that there was no way I could stop watching. Everything from the trees to the icicles to the ambient sound work on all levels and really touch the raw nerves in your lower spine.

Not knowing what to expect is sometime the best way to go into a film since you…

• Brian Williams

★★★★ Rewatched by Brian Williams 02 Dec, 2014

I'm probably going to give this some more watches to process. Completely unyielding film. There's a bit of a student film moment during what I took to be a pain killer dream. But otherwise this is nicely shot. Lawrence's performance is as advertised.