• nrbeaton

★★★★ Watched by nrbeaton 23 Jan, 2012

A dark, confronting film with stunning cinematography and a starmaking performance by Lawrence.

• Sarfaraz Abbasi

★★★★½ Added by Sarfaraz Abbasi

A Ghastly bizarre film with hidden underworld of hidden truths and nature. Dark-toned film, brilliant performance from Jennifer, and highly charged performance from John Hawkes. It was undoubtedly a grand work!

• Tom Morton

★★★½ Watched by Tom Morton 25 Aug, 2015 2

A solid piece of rural bleakness, with strong performances from J-Law, as some call her, and J-Haw, as nobody ever calls him. I liked the rustic atmosphere, the woody feel and the animals, but there was something about this film where every part of it reminded me of something slightly better. The general atmosphere and the poverty reminded me of Kelly Reichardt, especially, and left me feeling like she would have done a better job. Not that there's anything wrong with Winter's Bone, you know? It just feels like it could use a little spark, somehow.

• Virginia

★★★ Added by Virginia

Though the movie's whole atmosphere did manage to get me into it, I got to the end with a feeling of disappointment. I was really liking the beginning, but as the movie went on I felt like I was constantly waiting for a strong or climax point which I just never got to see. It all stays pretty much on the same level.

I didn't completely dislike it, but it's definitely not one of those movies that stays in your mind.

• otterdisaster

★★★★ Watched by otterdisaster 20 Aug, 2015

Summer of 52 Movies – Winter’s Bone

I thought this movie was quite good. The plot took its time to slowly unravel, which I enjoyed, because it gave more time to the characters. The biggest strength, writing wise, of this film is definitely its dialog. It’s stylized with a lot of Southern lingo but still (to me at least, a city boy) felt very believable and grounded. (Like Fargo, the accent was also infectious.) Basically every major character is complex…

• Alex Schwartz

Watched by Alex Schwartz 18 Aug, 2015

Hard to know where to begin to find fault...the lack of a believable storyline? The lack of a climax? The shoddily rendered grotesque caricature of Southern Missouri? Ok, the last one's just personal. While I admit that Lawrence is pretty good in this one, it remains that this is (like the movie as a whole) one of the most overrated performances of all time.

• Michael Schmidt

★★★★★ Watched by Michael Schmidt 16 Aug, 2015

Awesome. Ich bin ja sehr empfänglichund für solche Filme. Das trübt vielleicht mein Urteil...

• Tim Gerrit Troy Augurzke

★★★½ Watched by Tim Gerrit Troy Augurzke 17 Aug, 2015

Good movie. The pacing is a little bit slow.

• ccoleman3

★★½ Watched by ccoleman3 11 Aug, 2015

Fine acting, the look of the film is great (it's hard to find a truly ugly movie these days) but the story didn't hold my interest and I was happy when the film ended.

• Sam Barnett

★★ Added by Sam Barnett

Never felt this one. Cold and dry. Good production design, but J-Law does the stoic surviver shtick better later in her career.

• Jacob Powell

★★★★ Watched by Jacob Powell 20 Jul, 2010

Talk about culture shock! Alice-audience drops down the rabbit hole and finds herself in Hicksville Missouri. Debra Granik's Winter's Bone explores a murder mystery set amidst a tight lipped hillbilly community as seen through the lens of 17yr old protagonist Ree Dolly (a truly revelatory Jennifer Lawrence). Responsible for her mentally ill mother and two pre-teen siblings, Ree faces losing the family home unless her druggie father shows for an upcoming court appearance. Her consequent hunt for him among the…

• Jeff Schroeck

★★★★ Watched by Jeff Schroeck 21 Jul, 2015

This is a great crime thriller that presents an extended Missouri family as something of a cross between the Mafia and the CIA, with one member trying to get to the bottom of the mystery of where her father has gone. I'm not as high on Jennifer Lawrence's performance as most people-she doesn't seem as fully immersed in her character as the rest of the cast is in theirs-but the other performances, especially John Hawkes's, are great. The plain treatment…