• Bryan Reeves

Techs 16/20
    Entertainment 19/20

• Nick Silvia

★★½ Watched by Nick Silvia 15 Nov, 2015

Feels like one of those movies where nothing of serious consequence occurs in the entire runtime.

• Joseph William Lewis

★★★★ Rewatched by Joseph William Lewis 11 Nov, 2015

Cannot fathom why I didn't like this when it came out. Rural noir anchored by a richly-detailed backwoods atmosphere and Jennifer Lawrence's terse, desperate performance, still one of her best. Debra Granik needs to make another film.

• Paul Zoccolillo

★★★★ Added by Paul Zoccolillo

(Original review outdated, re-evaluation required at later date)

• Joseph Brown

★★★★ Watched by Joseph Brown 06 Nov, 2015

... And then you find out that apart from giving one of the great female leading roles of the last decade, the film was also written and directed by women. Was there any question as to who was going to play Katniss? Winter's Bone is the Hunger Games of reality.

• paul

★★★ Watched by paul 02 Nov, 2015

A rather depressing look at rural America, where the poor hillbillies, living their inbred, subsistence level lives, take to cooking drugs in order to make an easy buck.

The story here is that Jenifer Lawrence (who carries the piece) is the 17 year old caregiver to her “depressed” mother and her two younger siblings. Her father, a known drug cooker (although never proven in a court of law), has abandoned his family, so it’s up to Jen to not only…

• Alan Jarvis

★★★½ Watched by Alan Jarvis 01 Nov, 2015

I used to think that the Ozark mountains would be a good place to visit. Now I'm not so sure. It would seem that a lot of crystal meth is cooked in these parts, and its effects are as corrosive on society as they are on your nose. Jennifer Lawrence just seems much too pretty, too little scarred by life to really fit in in these parts. But she is resilient enough (it seems) to almost take care of what…

• RonnieGardocki

★★★★★ Watched by RonnieGardocki 27 Oct, 2015

People always point to this movie as the early indication Jennifer Lawrence was a great actress, but I knew it from The Bill Engvall Show.

• andmarsh

★★★½ Rewatched by andmarsh 22 Oct, 2015

That Lawrence girl might have a big career ahead of her...

Some great performances in a dark and intriguing story, however it is pretty darn slow.

• Devin Negrete

★★★★ Added by Devin Negrete

for the last few years this sundance winner has been on my watch list and It did not disappoint

GREAT performances by Jennifer Lawrence and John Hawkes, the story of this backwoods Ozark community is a chilling portrait of modern poverty and drug use,

In my opinion, Winters Bone is one of the top five sundance winners of all time,

• Liam Underwood

★★★ Watched by Liam Underwood 13 Oct, 2015

I've been curious to see Winter's Bone for a while now - mostly because I keep hearing how good Jennifer Lawrence's performance is. And yeah, she's great in this (although it could be argued that John Hawkes is slightly better). The story was fine but I didn't find myself hugely gripped. It's not a bad film, but there isn't much about it that really stands out either.

• Pseudonym