• Keith

★★★ Watched by Keith 20 Oct, 2014

Interestingly different. Solid performances by Lawrence and Hawkes, together with good use of real-life settings make this a worthwhile film to watch.

• film|captures

★★★½ Rewatched by film|captures 19 Oct, 2014

How did I never notice Laura Palmer before?

• Funnyguy

★★★ Watched by Funnyguy 19 Oct, 2014

Winter's Bone is a story about a self-righteous, but brave girl in a journey of finding her father through a community filled with idiots. It's relatively realistic, and thereby a decent reflection of some southern state in America. Although it's also very conventional, one-dimensional, and simple in its character portrayals and way of showing the community.

The cinematography is good, and the acting is good, other then that it's pretty average.

Strong 6/10.

• Jacob Gehman

★★★★½ Added by Jacob Gehman

Pretty darn-tootin near perfect. It's rare to be able to so adeptly balance character and plot, but Winter's Bone does it. The plot is a tense battle pitting Ree (Jennifer Lawrence) against the world as she tries to save her family's house. As such, much of the film is simply Lawrence talking with other people in the area. A lot of the people are family (one way or the other), but this is an area where being related only goes…

• Thomas Flight

★★★½ Watched by Thomas Flight 18 Oct, 2014

Solid story and performances. It goes without saying that Jennifer Lawrence is great in this. What really sold this film for me was John Hawkes as Teardrop.

The gritty characters feel real and raw. And aside from one poorly cast "villain" character that seems more like a santa claus type, they're all great.

• Russell Hainline

★★★★½ Rewatched by Russell Hainline 01 Oct, 2014

Dale Dickey haunts my nightmares.

• Carlos

★★★★½ Added by Carlos

• Anxious77

★★★★½ Added by Anxious77

I sat down to watch this movie, honestly, not exactly knowing what to expect or even what it was about in detail. I knew a few minutes into it, that there was no way I could stop watching. Everything from the trees to the icicles to the ambient sound work on all levels and really touch the raw nerves in your lower spine.

Not knowing what to expect is sometime the best way to go into a film since you…

• Abdullah

★★★★ Watched by Abdullah 07 Oct, 2014

Jennifer Lawrence with a southern accent, do you need more of a reason? (P.S. It's a good movie)

• Joe DiCanio

★★½ Watched by Joe DiCanio 27 Jan, 2011

Rating: C+

• ApeLincoln

★★★½ Watched by ApeLincoln 02 Oct, 2014

A tale about family and a bleak portail of the Missouri underclass.

• Alecs