• Orla Smith

★★★ Watched by Orla Smith 05 Feb, 2016

6.5/10
    I certainly liked this film. I was never bored and was very invested in Ree, the lead character. We're introduced so well into her life and we get behind her right from the start. I just felt like I was interested the whole time because I was waiting for something to happen and for the film to build and elevate itself. Things do happen, but I never really felt that elevation. It remains a gritty, interesting film, but I…

• Matt Hirons

★★★★½ Watched by Matt Hirons 05 Feb, 2016

Winter's Bone shows a side of America that, as a Brit, I often forget exists alongside the NYC skyscrapers, Hollywood Hills and Florida theme parks, reminding us once again of the stark contrast of US equality. When the lives of the sort of characters that live in this film are explored in cinema, they're often simply degraded to stereotypes, simply summed up by 'hillbillies' or 'trailer trash', but Debra Granik's fantastic adaptation doesn't resort to such simplicities. Instead we are…

• Chloe1

★★★★ Watched by Chloe1 29 Jan, 2016

Atmosphere nearly as bleak as The Road, constant tension, grittily great lead performance from Jennifer Lawrence and support from John Hawkes.

• Ben Hecking

★★★★ Watched by Ben Hecking 25 Jan, 2016

Extremely strong performances from the ensemble cast raises this above your average indie and whilst the story is at times gripping, it's definitely a character piece.

Michael McDonough's photography is suitably dreary.

• Brennan Klein

★★½ Watched by Brennan Klein 07 Feb, 2014

An excellent study in how flat a film can feel when the main character has literally zero agency.

• Lola Jones

★★★½ Watched by Lola Jones 24 Jan, 2016

Utterly engrossing. Jennifer Lawrence is a bloody good actress.

• An Angry Bear

★★½ Watched by An Angry Bear 23 Jan, 2016

An average little indie. Not a lot good, not a lot bad.

• Owen Greenwell

★★★★ Watched by Owen Greenwell 11 Jun, 2011

Grim, grim, grim. All performances brilliant and real.

• MrPiratePete

★½ Watched by MrPiratePete 19 Jan, 2016

I really don't get the Hype on this one. It's just Jennifer Lawrence acting bad and doing stupid things while searching for her father.

• C Bruno

★★★½ Watched by C Bruno 20 Jan, 2016

The Missouri locations are the real star, but Lawrence and Hawkes are quite good too.

• Junior Andrade

★★★★½ Rewatched by Junior Andrade 17 Jan, 2016

A haunting, extremely distressing and outstanding film whose downbeat atmosphere feels always incredibly suffocating and real, as it drags us into this bleak universe filled with dreadful people who always convince us of their existence in so much misery and poverty.

• Devan