★★★½ Watched by STR 26 Sep, 2015

"Nothing like rain water from the Top-End."

Despite the uneasy sense of doom that permeates the first half of the film, there is something charming about these characters and their road trip. Most horror films are usually enjoyable in spite of their first acts, but I found myself genuinely engrossed in these characters throughout. I could have watched an entire romantic comedy road trip movie about them and been satisfied. Creating interesting and likable characters that you actually root for…

• Mister Fuertes

★★★★ Watched by Mister Fuertes 22 Sep, 2015

Part of the Halloween Horror (and Beyond) Watchlist

Fear Factor (Harry): 8/10

The "Shit In Your Pants" Moment: The highway sequence. And of course, "head on a stick". I shit my pants on both occasions. I won't describe either. Just see the film and you'll understand.

Verdict: To the contrary of most people's view of the exploitative and inherently gritty Wolf Creek, I found this to be one of the most beautiful horror films ever created. Cinema's marriage between man…

• Curtis Williams

★★★★ Added by Curtis Williams

It's like Crocodile Dundee, but instead of the lovable Paul Hogan, you have a psychopathic murder instead.

• Scott Fairgrieve

★★★½ Watched by Scott Fairgrieve 19 Sep, 2015

I really liked the first hour of this movie. It had a slow build up where you got to know the characters and their environment. You got a sense of dread that they were moving inexorably toward a bad situation. And the villain was great. When the bad stuff finally started to happen, the main characters then violated the first rule of horror movies- when you think you've killed the bad guy, make sure he's really dead.

After that, the…

• William Kretschmer

★★★ Watched by William Kretschmer 15 Jun, 2013

Stranded backpackers in remote Australia fall prey to a murderous bushman who offers to fix their car, then takes them captive.
    Competent thriller in the wake of The Texas Chain Saw Massacre, quite nerve-racking, but not adding anything to the genre.

• Kara Coughlin

Watched by Kara Coughlin 29 Aug, 2015

pLOT HOLeeS

• PappaNate

★★½ Watched by PappaNate 26 Aug, 2015

The outback setting and the unnerving performance from John Jarratt only slightly elevate this slasher flick, at times, from usual fare.

• nrbeaton

★★★ Watched by nrbeaton 30 Jul, 2011

A shocking, confrontational film with a great (though disturbing) performance by Jarratt.

• wretchedmonkey1

★★½ Added by wretchedmonkey1

Jarrett is very entertaining as the killer. I appreciated the time the director puts in to make you like the characters. But at the end of the day... we've seen it all before. It's just expertly done.

• IShotJR

★★★½ Watched by IShotJR 01 Aug, 2015

"I'm going to do something now they used to do in Vietnam. It's called making a head on a stick."
    -Mick Taylor

• Rosp

★★½ Added by Rosp

Nota = 5

• Kate Lush

★★½ Rewatched by Kate Lush 29 Jun, 2015

There are a certain number of things you can expect to occur in your typical slash-happy horror film: a car doesn't start, even though it has worked perfectly beforehand; our protagonists are cornered by the killer, but he misses finding them by a hair; characters seem to wait years to do anything, despite being chased by a homicidal maniac, completely neglecting a fear response that you would expect in this situation (i.e. getting the heck out of there as soon…