Journey 2: The Mysterious Island 2012 ★½

The reason this gets the rating it does has nothing to do with the quality of the film. The film itself is absolutely terrible. I'd say maybe eighty percent of the dialogue is exposition, which makes all the characters extremely dull to listen to. The story is also boring and predictable (we made predictions regarding story elements during the course of the film, and the majority were bang on). The effects aren't good, and for a mysterious island, you'd think there would be actual mysterious things on it.

So why does this film get one and a half stars? Well one star goes to Michael Caine for simply being one of the greatest actors to ever live. This is a guy who when asked about his work in Jaws: The Revenge said "I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific." Obviously Caine is the man. The half star goes to the absolutely ridiculous 3D gags that are magnificent when seen in 2D. Seriously, the "Pec pop of love" scene as seen in the trailer is about three minutes of characters throwing berries at Dwayne Johnson's chest, and said berries then bouncing into the camera.

1 Comment