Kill List 2011 ★★★★½

This review reportedly contains spoilers.
I can handle the truth.

This review reportedly contains spoilers.

I'm not sure how to review this other than to say I don't know what was going on, but I do know it was brilliant. The first twenty minutes or so, for some reason, all I could think of was Chris Morris's Jam and I'm not sure why, maybe the dark mood mixed with the sound design. You can definitely make connections with how the two subvert the totally different genres they're working in. Anyway, after about half an hour, I paused it to check the synopsis, this was supposed to be a film about a hitman, wasn't it? The focus on the domestic drama and the way it was all shot totally threw me and I wasn't sure what was going to happen, then in the middle section it all settled down into a more convential hitman film. 'Good,' I thought, 'I'm familiar with all these aspects, I can get comfortable now,' and so it went on until they reach the MP and then BOOM! The crazy dial is ratcheted up to 11 and you're suddenly transported to that opening encounter in Resident Evil 4.

What followed next I found very unsettling and hard to watch, because the film's been toying with me like a shark with a lame seal, I have no idea what way it's going to go next and when the two guys run into the tunnel I can feel my heart beating faster while the phrase 'Oh fuck! Oh fuck! Oh fuck!' keeps repeating in my head.

There should be more films like this, more films with their own identity that fuck around with your presumptions. I should give a special mention to Martin Pavey, the sound designer, I couldn't ignore the various drones and weird noises that featured throughout the film, a perfect soundtrack that really helped set the disconcerting tone.

Excuse me if this review is a bit all over the place but I'm still dizzy from watching.