Pulp Fiction 1994 ★★★★★

This review reportedly contains spoilers.
I can handle the truth.

19 Comments

• mind=blown.

• Wow, I don't know what I find more impressive, the fact that Quentin Tarantino went from working in a video store to writing something as complex as Pulp Fiction, or that you've analysed the hell out of it in this amount of detail. Either way, my mind has been thoroughly blown. Have you ever studied psychology? The whole ID/ ego/ superego Freud theory is what I'm currently being taught in my A-levels, although I've never made the connection between it and a film! Anyway, good job man, your interpretations are unbelievably smart, and interesting to read!

• Dude! Well done. My favorite film by far. I've never put this much thought in any film.

• Thanks, guys! I was very much inspired by Rob Ager's videos and some various theories I've been pondering over for several years (so I cannot take credit for everything in the review). This movie is so much fun to pull apart and see how it's all connected. It's such a symbolically rich movie, and kind of a shame that Tarantino never tried to be so technical with any of his other films. Perhaps it was Roger Avery? Who knows.

• This has got to be the most well constucted analysis of a film I've had the pleasure of reading on letterboxd. This is such a fun film to break down and analyze. I've come up with different theories every time I've seen it, but you make a lot of interesting points that I never even considered; especially about Wolf being the shepard. Well done sir! This is probably the best thing I've ever read on this website so far!

• Thanks, SilentJoe!

• Pulp Fiction is a long time favorite of mine and over the years I have read many reviews on the film. This is the most thorough, interesting review on it that I have ever read. Well done Ryan!
    I think I'll read it again tomorrow! :-)

• Amazing, man... I didn't fully understand everything you spoke of, though...

And in answer to your 3 questions, it would be, Tony Rocky Horror. But they mentioned him in the film.

So, what's the problem?

• This is amazing. Many "whoa, how did I miss that" observations, many more "wow, I never would have seen that" observations...

Great analysis!

• I'm a little bit stupid, so could you tell me what the fourth story was about?

• Tony
    Rocky
    Horror

• All right, you answered the questions, Ok, but what the fourth story was about? Still don't get it

• Tony Rocky Horror was thrown out of the fourth story window... good God, man. This analysis was genius, and the way you presented it was awesome. The themes I've noticed were much less involved. Stuff like how the movie deals with desensitization to violence while ironically providing more of that violence. The way the movie pays tribute to the genre of pulp fiction in its title; a genre of quick, easy-read books with simple stories and very black and white characters; while providing a long, complex story where nobody's a hero but nobody's really a villain either. The movies theme of karma-esque results to decisions is another thing that was pretty obvious. But I now see I had only scratched the surface. What you've done here is insanely impressive, my jaw was open the whole read. How are you even able to write analyses like this? I mean, you couldn't have noticed that stuff in your first viewing, right? What process do you go through to truly take everything you can get out of a film? It's something I've been after for a while.

• This is one of the best reviews I've ever read. One question, what's your take on the yellow flash that appears when Vincent and Jules execute Brett?

• Jesus man, sorry, I rewatched the film and I get what the fourth story was about

• What the fourth story was about?

• @JuanQuintero sabes el hombre que lo lanzaron marcelus wallace y su gente de una ventana de su casa porque supuestamente le dió un masaje en los pies a mia? Ese tipo lo llamaban Tony Rocky Horror, y me imagino que la cuarta historia se trataría de ese tipo.

• Si, yo lo imaginé y al contestar las 3 preguntas que puso este tipo aquí ya lo confirmé.

• This is probably the best review ever... Ever!

Please to comment.