The Dark Knight Rises 2012 ½

This review reportedly contains spoilers.
I can handle the truth.

537 Comments

• What I find so intriguing, and a bit mystifying, is that I generally can't stand all of the violations that you detailed in your review, and though I caught them, myself, as I was watching the movie, for some verrry inexplicable reason, they did not bother nearrrrrrly as much as they would have in most any other film. I wish so much that I could put my finger on exactly why that is, because it utterly confounds me. At least at the moment, I have no explanation as to why I was able to tolerate and accept those violations sooo much better than I almost ever would, or have before. It is like nolan worked some sort of dark and mysterious black magic. I really think it was quite a trick he pulled off.

If you have any good guesses as to why that might be the case, please feel free to share.

• Well, I think the three Batman movies are really good summertime movies. I mean, that is what they are. They get released in July or August for a reason. These movies are smarter and better acted that movies like Transformers or G.I. Joe, but Nolan is no Kubrick.

Some fans put him on that level... But he is closer to a James Cameron level. IMO

As for QT... I like Dogs, IB and Pulp Fiction, but Jackie Brown is my favorite QT movie. I did not make it through the midway point of Django Unchained. I was really excited for the movie, but it just wasn't working for me.

• @Ryan Can you explain how the opening scene of Back to the Future isn't pointless? It doesn't advance the plot or set up character. It's not even a bookend beginning like Lost Highway or a Pink Floyd album.

• @rocknblues81 James Cameron was at least original, and doesn't piggyback off David Lynch and Michael Mann.

• Everybody has influences. Artists copy and steal from each other all the time.

• Can you explain how the opening scene of Back to the Future isn't pointless?

I already did. I said:

The opening shot, without words, gives us more information than a dozen Nolan monologues.

Going deeper, I will add:

It starts on a multitude of clocks, which represent time - a major factor in the plot of the story. It then gives us information about Doc Brown with newspaper articles that provide a piece of his character's history. Also seen are photos of other famous inventors from the past. This and the following moments give us his occupation. His place is cluttered and unkempt. His coffee pot is missing, yet the maker is rigged to start automatically, as is the television, which tells of the plutonium theft. The toaster burns the toast and pops it up and down repeatedly, hinting that Doc Brown is not the best at what he does. We learn of his dog through the automatic feeder, which piles food on top of food that was never eaten. This tells us that Doc is too busy with menial tasks like making his own breakfast. He's too busy.

Also, keep an eye out for Doc hanging from the clocktower.

All of this is communicated to the audience without a single word spoken. Okay, there was the newscaster on TV, but even muted, the message still comes across. Look at EVERYTHING you know about this character, his personality, his world, the story's world - during the opening credits.

Marty is first shown entering the makeshift lab with a hidden key, which means these two characters have a past. Marty sets his skateboard down (a key prop for later in the story) and it rolls right into the stolen plutonium.

This is all one shot.

After that, Marty plugs in his guitar (another key prop for later), cranks all the high-tech audio equipment, and jams a single chord that blasts him across the room. Certainly, he knew what he was doing. Music is one of his passions.

Are you really, truly, seriously suggesting to me that the opening scene in Back To The Future sets up none of the story or the characters?

Because that one scene does a better job of communicating A LOT of vital story and character information to the audience than any opening scene of any other movie ever made.

• So, it sounds like my original hunch was essentially correct: that you are much more critical with your review, and rating of the christopher nolan directed Batman films...

No, you are wrong. I even gave you examples of other popular films that I was not fond of and thus reviewed accordingly.

If you can't read that much of my previous reply, then I don't see the benefit of reading yours. Let's be a little more respectful of one another's time if you wish to have a serious discussion. If you just want to make a point that you already have conceived, then go ahead, but I have more important things to do than hope I'm not wrong on the internet.

• @Ryan - Any response to my questions or comments?

• My only response is to learn to read what other people write, because I responded already and spelled it all out for you, and I did it conveniently and directly above your most recent inquiry.

Please don't reply any more, because you're clearly here to spew an agenda instead of having an intelligent debate.

Thank you. :)

• I can't take it anymore!!!!! This thread just wont die!!!!! unsubscribe.

Please to comment.