The Godfather 1972 ★★★★★

I don't trust anyone who dislikes this movie.

21 Comments

• People are going to like more stuff from their time it only makes sense. I was born in 76 so a good portion of the films I love come from what I grew up with in the 80's and early 90's. I've gone back and watched a lot of older films because of my love of cinema, but I can honestly say they don't always appeal to me because things that appealed to folks back then won't always apply today. The idea some people have that because a film is considered a classic you have to like it is ridiculous in my opinion.

• I like it, but it's over-rated. The sequel is better by a mile.

• The sequel is better, but not by much. The flashback stuff with De Niro is awesome, and should have been a film in itself, the rest of the film is as weak as the first,

• "The idea some people have that because a film is considered a classic you have to like it is ridiculous in my opinion."

@Ron - If one dislikes a movie that is regarded as a classic, then they should at least learn to understand why it gets and retains such a status. I think we all dislike at least a few movies considered classics or don't hold them as high up to standards as most others do, but movie lovers should at least learn to understand, appreciate and respect why others appreciate, respect and even admire films with such quality. I may not enjoy Citizen Kane as much as others, but I tip my hat off to why it's regarded as one of the most brilliantly influential films ever made.

@Driver and Ross - I get a headache every time I hear someone say that about any film. I wish that word was a person so I could murder it twice. No film is overrated. Overrated is a condensed arrogant way of dictating that, because you and only you dislike a movie or that you don't like it as much as most others, that it doesn't deserve to be so highly regarded.

There's nothing wrong with not enjoying a movie as much as everyone else. It'd be worse to conform to making yourself like any such movie just for the sake of its classic status, but just because you feel that way doesn't warrant such a simplified and narrow-minded criticism and that's pretty much what calling something overrated suggests. It's not a window into a differing opinion of a movie. It's just an unflattering window into your own perspective and approach to movies in general.

That's all I'm going to say about calling movies overrated. Too many people on here use that word and I'm over trying to explain why it sucks.

• The Godfather is a must watch film for anyone, at least for me, the film is flawless and 100% entertaining, it goes like a 30 minute film to me.. outstanding piece of cinema

• @Arto I can understand why a film is regarded as a classic. Many of the classics I've seen and not loved, I almost always mention in my review they're technically well made if that is the case. There's just more to it than that. A film can be well made and still be bad or not appeal to the individual watching it. I like The Godfather, it's very well made. I just don't love it. That doesn't mean I don't understand why others do.

• @Ron - I have to disagree, I enjoy more films from the 60's and 70"s than I do from my own time, I like films from the 90's and the 2000's but technically they don't compare to films from past decades, films like The Godfather, Apocalypse Now, Nosferatu, Once upon a time in the west, Safety Last. they have made a bigger impression on me than for example Inception, the matrix, the dark knight or fight club.

• @Javier There's nothing to disagree on really. That's your personal experience. That's not the case for me so we just differ in that regard. I've seem films from all different decades that leave an impression on me. It's just the stuff I grew up with had the biggest impact.

• I don't trust anyone who does like it, so I guess we're in the same boat.

• This is so true, man.
    Follow me for more haiku
    Some better than this