The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus 2009

Terry Gilliam always makes shit movies.

He made this movie.

It's shit.

75 Comments

• @aaron: for sure. I'd rather watch an interesting but flawed film that a trite bit of nothing. The Fountain is a good example of an interesting film that doesn't quite gel, but has scenes in it that I'm still mulling over. Also (?)What dreams may come -- also a failure but an interesting one.

• What Dreams May Come \o/ man i have to try and get the blu-ray of that some day.

• Vincent Ward has some interesting films in his cabinet. I really liked Vigil and A State of Siege (student film) which was based on the short story by Janet Frame. He did another interesting film, also set on a farm in New Zealand, but I can't for the life of me remember what it was called.

• Actually I've got it all wrong! Navigator is the film I was meaning for Vigil and vice-versa. D'oh.

• mmmm brilliant line of though man

• It's interesting that you thought Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas was brilliant, yet condemned the man behind it to eternal shithood. I do think that it may be his best film and I'm not a totally head o'er heels fan, but I, of course, loved the Python flicks he directed (including the 2-D cutout bits), I did love Brazil as a teen (never revisited it [I'm 30 now]), I thought 12 Monkeys was also quite great as a teen (though, just 'good' as an adult, upon revisiting), I thought Tideland was compelling (but it crept into 'greatly flawed' as it dragged on), yet still I am very interested in his latest full-length effort The Zero Theorem: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Zero_Theorem

• I should also make it known that I've never seen the film specifically in question here, but have illegally downloaded it and will give it a whirl...

• Having now read more of this thread I don't think it makes any sense to lump Gilliam and Burton together. There is the most minor of surrealistic overlap between them, but that's it. It's like comparing Magritte to Dali, for instance. Both are surrealist but in entirely different ways, and Burton "sold old" so much more thoroughly than Gilliam ever could. Gilliam did that Brothers Grimm flick explicitly for the sake of financing his latest avante garde pet project (much like Crispin Glover did several horrible mainstream roles in order to fund his absolutely bonkers films of late).

• Even an explicitly commercial film like Brothers Grimm has interesting moments. There's something compelling about Terry Gilliam's movies. He had me at Time Bandits. I'd like to see that one again.

• Movies that don't make sense can be very interesting. If they don't make sense to the intellect but strike bells in some other way... well. I was young and impressionable but the swinging cage(s?) in Time Bandits had an apocalyptic effect on me. That's Terry Gilliam's gift, a certain numinous something.

Please to comment.