The Thing 1982 ★★★★★

There's nothing to say that hasn't been said a million times. This truly is one of the greatest films ever made in any genre.

9 Comments

• This one is a weird one for me because I love horror films but this one I missed back in the 80's when it came out and didn't see it until sometime in 2010. That being said I liked it but I didn't think it was as good as everyone says it is. It maybe because I watched it so many years after it's original release I don't know but it just didn't stand out for me. Don't get me wrong it's a good film just not great for me.

• Yeah Ron, That happens to me all the time when I watch "classics" that I haven't seen before. I recently watched the seventh seal and wasn't blown away by it. I will give that film a rewatch one day but it didn't really do anything for me. I wore out my vhs copy of the thing when I was younger so I can't relate to this film but I see where you're coming from.

• Yeah it definitely happens. I made it a point one time to start watching some of the classics films at the top of IMDB's top 250 and the first one I went with that I'd never seen was Seven Samurai and I couldn't get into it at all. I also recently watched Repulsion which is considered a classic and found it average at best. I think a lot of it has to do with how different things were at the time of some of these films plus for me the ones that were made well before I was born are really hard to relate to.

• I have a copy of Seven Samurai that I borrowed form a buddy but I haven't watched it yet. I did really like Repulsion though. One old film that I love is Paths of Glory. I'm such a Kubrick freak so that's probably why I love that film so much. I'm not really a huge fan of pre 1960 films. I was born in 83' so I agree it's hard to get into some of the older films. Especially the ones that don't age so well.

• Have you seen the 1951 original yet? Very different in some ways but just as great, I think.

• @grooveman Yeah I think it just depends on the film for me. I love Kubrick as well but I haven't seen all of his films.

• @steve. I haven't seen the original yet. I don't know why either. I'll add it to my watchlist.

• The ambiguity of the finale is utter genius - not because you don't know who is "the thing", but because you can watch the movie 20 times and find new evidence on every viewing, some pointing to one character, some pointing to the other.

Any old bloke can write a story and simply leave the ending up to interpretation, but to write it on such a level that encourages and allows for so much audience participation is seriously brilliant.

• Well said Ryan. Everytime I watch this I seem to like it more and I've seen this a lot.

Please to comment.