Four Lions 2010 ★★★★½

While most may walk away from “Four Lions” thinking about the king of political satire “Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb,” I immediately thought of “In the Loop.” The breakneck speeds in which lines are delivered were reminiscent of Malcolm Tucker (Peter Capaldi) and his verbal assault of anyone who dared cross his path. It turns out that two of “Four Lions” four writers (Jesse Armstrong and Simon Blackwell) also helped pen “In the Loop.” It takes more than clever writing to deliver a controversial topic in such a humorous fashion. There has to be a connection with the characters. How far would “Man Bites Dog” have gotten if Ben were not a charismatic killer with a love for art? Chris Morris takes us into Omar’s home and gives the backstory on a man with a dream many would consider odd and highly offensive. There is no doubt that Barry is passionate about his love for all things Islamic, even if he is a bit crazy in delivery. Waj and Faisal may be as dumb as a doorknob, but charm with their childlike innocence. These unique and unbalanced personalities allow “Four Lions” to present a sensitive subject under the guise of black comedy. The movie does not set out to offend. It takes an offensive subject and tells people that it is alright to laugh from time to time – even if the subject is dark. Read the full review here...www.theaterthoughts.com/?p=2468

Comment?

Please to comment.