Hard Boiled 1992 ★★★★★

Wow. This film whizzed past me so damned fast I'm having trouble recollecting exactly what went down.
So, it's a cop drama. There's some kind of conflict. There was a saxophone playing and I'm pretty sure at some point somebody got shot.

This film certainly lives up to the hype. A true Action Classic, right up there with Die Hard, Lethal Weapon, Beverly Hills Cop and Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo.
Chow Yun-Fat is fantastic and at no point comes across like a complete tool. The rest of the cast range from hardcore evil bad-ass to surly cop bad-ass. The action is un-fucking-believable. Honestly, this film may not be so revered in its native land but this is most definitely the precursor to a whole slew of mid 90's actioner's like Hard Target, Face/ Off, Broken Arrow, Mission Impossible 2... and some films not actually directed by John Woo.
These days it's difficult to see past the gun-ballet, slo-mo pigeons and operatic villains but our dear Mr Woo practically moulded those cliches himself with C4, squibs and kicked-in faces.
For some reason I've always held back on this film, worried it wouldn't live up to the hype and expectations. Luckily, I'm a stupid fuckwit with bugger all to worry about.

Going to pull my finger out and get through the Infernal Affairs Trilogy at some point. See if I can get me some more 5 Star entertainment!