A Clockwork Orange 1971 ★★★★

I first saw this film back in 2000 in the cinema and really didn't like it. I just didn't get it and fou7nd it pretty boring. 12 years on I finally got around to rewatching it and found out how wrong I was. A great film that works on so many levels. Every performance is spot on, Particualy the lead by Malcom McDowall. I really enjoyed that every character seems unique. Favourites of mine include Alex's reform officer (?) who spits in his face, and the officer in charge of him at the prison. The language used in the film is fantastic and it looks amazing too.

3 Comments

• The novel it's based on is also well worth reading. Especially as you mention that the language of the film is fantastic, as the main attraction with Anthony Burgess' book is the use of the written language. Kubrick manages to adapt that aspect seemlessly to the screen and by adding a great classical score, it gives it this extra emphasis on sound that just improves on the original novel in my opinion. Well worth your time reading the original if you liked the film.

• Dude, I'm so glad you finally got around to rewatching this. I remember loving it when we saw it at the cinema, and was really surprised that you didn't.
    I had this in my top 10 at one point on Flickchart, but I kept thinking that maybe I was giving it too much praise and re-ranked it into the 70's I think. But I need to watch it again to give it my full care and attention. Who knows, maybe it will make it back into my top 20. :)
    As for the book, it's definitely on my list of things to read. We may even have a copy somewhere... :P

• The book is on my to read list but I'm a slow reader. I'll get to it. Need to do the same with 2001 now. Hated that when I saw it about 15 years ago. I'm sure that will change too.

Please to comment.