Humanoids from the Deep 1980 ★★★

“Keep pumping the gas, we’ll blow them to Kingdom Come!”
-Jim Hill (Doug McClure)

The second (and superior) B-Movie Creature Feature of tonight is *Drum roll* MONSTER – Humanoids from the Deep! Dun dun duuuunnnn! The title sounds silly, and I suppose the whole film is a bit hair-brained. After some scientific experiments backfire, a mutation occurs, creating half-man, half-fish hybrids – and makes them super horny too! They subsequently terrorise a small fishing community, slaying the men and their dogs and molesting every female in sight.

As far as B-Movies go, this is undoubtedly one of the better ones. Of course the acting and script are sub-par, but that is pretty much a staple of the genre, and I wouldn’t have it any other way. Of course there are numerous breasts on exposure throughout, but well, we all know that is a fundamental factor too.

The cinematography is very much your average fare, with conventional POV shots to build suspense. It’s all been done hundreds of times before, but works nonetheless. The music is like some horrific, bizarre lovechild of Psycho and Jaws.
The creatures are terrific and the costume design is brilliantly memorable. You gotta love their motive too. Mate, mate, mate. The Fish-men are all a bunch of dirty perverts, snatching scantily clad women, ripping their clothes off and attempting to rape them. Oh, and the ending's great. It’s so ludicrously over the top. Critically speaking its rather crap. But I loved it.

VERDICT; It’s very much the working man’s Jaws, similar characters and soundtrack, with the Great White replaced with Sea Devils from Doctor Who. A nice little creature feature about Fishermen and Fish-Men.
Blood, breasts, sex, gore, blood, more breasts, more sex. It has everything your classic monster movie needs.
3/5 or 6/10